Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-06-15, 19:35   Link #2661
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Blah, how annoying. After being almost killed with an enrage timer since an illusionist asshole kept spamming it @ 1/4 life I decided to start a Demon Hunter to see issues from the other side. Spent 23k on leveling weapons til 60. I think I'm set.

Spoiler:

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 19:44   Link #2662
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Blah, how annoying. After being almost killed with an enrage timer since an illusionist asshole kept spamming it @ 1/4 life I decided to start a Demon Hunter to see issues from the other side. Spent 23k on leveling weapons til 60. I think I'm set.

Spoiler:
Another melee has fallen to the dark side!

Buy yourself a socketed helm as well for +%xp.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 20:05   Link #2663
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
Another melee has fallen to the dark side!

Buy yourself a socketed helm as well for +%xp.
Well, I need to find out for myself.

Thanks for the suggestion. Should I bother attempting to buy any IAS stuff while leveling?

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-06-15, 20:19   Link #2664
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Currently doing siegebreaker runs, finally feeling more comfortable in A3 but it demanded alot of getting used to as well as upping my reaction time.

I know DH is one of the easier classes to advance through inferno but don't think it's faceroll heaven.
"Glass cannon" doesn't even come close to common DH playstyle, more like butterfly cannon - In A3 every attack that is not mitigated by smokescreen or dodged means certain death, it's sometimes like playing a bullet hell shooter.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 20:20   Link #2665
iceyfw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Well, I need to find out for myself.

Thanks for the suggestion. Should I bother attempting to buy any IAS stuff while leveling?
nah don't bother with IAS gear while lvling. i advise you to also not buy any IAS gear once you hit 60 until patch 1.03 hits live.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 20:20   Link #2666
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

No - not worth the $. Your bows with red gems will already allow you to do a lot more dps than the level is tuned for. 1-60 goes by in 2 days if you are efficient about it.

I would recommend to not just go pure dex stacking but instead get a few vitality gems when you hit nightmare and hell. While you do less dps: having to run back on death is worse.

I like hungering arrow+twin chakrams while leveling (elemental arrow is a bit slow). Caltrops+vault (with tactical advantage) will be sufficient for kiting. Get the bat companion as well. Smoke screen not too useful while leveling as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
Currently doing siegebreaker runs, finally feeling more comfortable in A3 but it demanded alot of getting used to as well as upping my reaction time.

I know DH is one of the easier classes to advance through inferno but don't think it's faceroll heaven.
"Glass cannon" doesn't even come close to common DH playstyle, more like butterfly cannon - In A3 every attack that is not mitigated by smokescreen or dodged means certain death, it's sometimes like playing a bullet hell shooter.

its not like we got traps that immobilize elites, we got a primary attack that seeks target off screen, or bombs that we can plant on the ground that does a ton of damage...
Old 2012-06-15, 22:06   Link #2667
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

And rememer kids, once you hit 40s, grab a reduced req lvl60 weapon!

Facerolling NM and Hell like it was below Normal is fun, fun, fun!
Old 2012-06-16, 05:45   Link #2668
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
My alternative character is a male Wizard by the way... Whom I named Kyon. Heh.

Anyway, is it more economical to just buy a melee weapon to boost DPS, or should I just stick with a wand? Still not high-enough a level to figure out what mix of skills work for me at this point (level 12).
Old 2012-06-16, 06:19   Link #2669
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Anyway, is it more economical to just buy a melee weapon to boost DPS, or should I just stick with a wand? Still not high-enough a level to figure out what mix of skills work for me at this point (level 12).
Swords or any one-handed weapon should work for a Wizard at normal. I got to Nightmare using a socketed axe on my Wizard

You'd only really want to buy a wand for the Wizard-only bonuses like Max Arcane Power (otherwise, what's the point?), but if you feel you can live without it then any weapon with high DPS will do.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 09:00   Link #2670
SagaraSouske

Just having a decent crossbow with crit dmg and over 1.1k dps would cost you more then 100k for a DH. Even in blues you prob need a bit more then 100k to have an effective farming DH. Any IAS ring, amulet, glove are gonna be at least 100k, especially if you want crit or dex. Boots with movement 12% and dex will cost more then 100k. If you say 1.5 - 2 M worth of gear, that's more reasonable.

And as a melee trying to farm stuff, you don't go pure defense, you balance defense and offense such that you don't get one shot but are able to pump out more dps with dw/2h. Dying is ok as long as you can clear stuff fast and kill elites in reasonable amount of time, even if using the zoning trick for CDs.

As a monk, once you start hitting 650+ all resist, 5k armor unbuffed (achievable with less then 5 M), have 20k unbuffed dps with 800ish LOH you can farm siegebreaker fairly easily. It gets easier and easier as you up your dps while maintaining your defensive stats. Once you hit 40k unbuffed dps, you can pretty much do a run in 15-20 min. A similarly geared DH while able to put out 100k dps, still get one shot by spear thrower and other ranged trash mob if not careful. It will take significantly more investment to have high dps and high defense for a DH.
Old 2012-06-16, 09:05   Link #2671
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

^DH has it easy.

1k damage fist weapons costs like 20-100m for Monks.
DH is possibly the cheapest character to gear up.
Old 2012-06-16, 12:02   Link #2672
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
^DH has it easy.

1k damage fist weapons costs like 20-100m for Monks.
DH is possibly the cheapest character to gear up.
HC pretty much has proven DH is a lot of damage and little else... nobody has played it and not died. Many who've played it (and keep trying) have had countless deaths. So it evens out. After the patch goes live, if the repair costs are in, DH should become indirectly expensive.

Also I keep switching to my HC monk, over my SC DH, just because playing DH is actually god damn hard. It's so much easier to play Monk, then running and dodging every single stupid thing on the screen as DH. On DH even with stupid gear on you can at most take one blow if you don't skill-dodge... yeah great, the whole concept of HP bar is practically useless...
Old 2012-06-16, 12:23   Link #2673
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
So, finally managed to kill the Butcher (and incidentally, not even a single death on the way there from my start at Leoric's Manor), and the start of Act 2 is staring me at the face. Hmm. Judging from the previous posts here, I guess I'll just stay and farm Act I for a while...
Old 2012-06-16, 13:10   Link #2674
zarqu
Stüldt Håjt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagaraSouske View Post
Just having a decent crossbow with crit dmg and over 1.1k dps would cost you more then 100k for a DH.
These things go for tens of millions on the European auction house. But I agree DHs have it easy when compated to melee; I did Act I - II with a 800 dps crossbow (Belial was a pain) and mostly self-found gear. I upgraded my crossbow to one with 930 dps/100 dex/one socket. Think it cost me like 800k (it was a true bargain). After that, any +IAS/+crit dmg/+dex gloves/amulet/ring will cost me millions. Currently, my +190 dex/15% ias/100 vita amulet would go for 2,5m at least.

I urge every melee to try out the DH. It's very rewarding when you can kite around an elite pack, kill some trash in between and survive without a single death (if you get lucky on certain procs). On the other hand, gameplay can be very frustrating and demoralizing, especially from Act III onwards. Everything one-shots you if you don't spend 10m on Monk gear (on Europe) and even then you can tank 1-2 hits from trash mobs. Naturally fast "Fast" elites (Burrowers) will kill you. My tactic is to just GY zerg them etc. In that sense, the DH is the worst class for me; I very much prefer the D2 (LoD) way of not dying often, but getting severely punished if you do.

Anyways, started leveling my Barb a while back. Lvl 39 now, Act II NM. I'm terrible when it comes to twinking; I can't help but buy upgrades every couple of levels (mainly shields/weapons). I can say it's pretty damn fun at the moment. My last leveled character in D2 SP was a BotD wielding pseudo-Titan Barb (enough in Vita to get 2k life with BO).

Thankg God for dyes.
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 13:51   Link #2675
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

http://d3db.com/news/id/268-datamine...es-unofficial/

IAS to be nerfed severely.
Old 2012-06-16, 13:55   Link #2676
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Adding an enrage timer to Belial.

Just fucking brilliant. Though I guess it never reaches that part.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-06-16, 13:57   Link #2677
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

The attack speed nerf is certainly severe, though I myself won't be feeling the effects on my characters due to their low level yet. I can see all the online rage this'll generate though.

Although only 100 gold to craft a Flawless Square now? Guess it'll be time to merge all those gems I have around

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 14:19   Link #2678
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

All those $250 items to be worth $25
Old 2012-06-16, 14:21   Link #2679
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

They're not even worth 2.50

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-06-16, 15:50   Link #2680
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

The attack speed nerf is justified in the sense that we won't all be wearing IAS rings the whole game. Though it would be interesting to see what happens to Monks as they are heavy on the IAS.

I think this nerf would push everyone into two-handed weapons. (as an example, dual crossbows is better than quiver or two-handed at the highest max gear right now. But after the IAS nerf it might lose entirely. Especially since the quiver bonus is left unchanged.)

By the way, my Demon Hunter is slaughtering everything in Act 3 normal. It is weird playing normal after spending a week in inferno. I feel like a god.

Tags
arpg, blizzard, dungeon crawler