AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-16, 17:09   Link #4241
bigemperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
Mortal Stampede only played once during the 2nd twilight battles (along with Victima and Hibuta). Dive to Emergency was the song used in the game during Ange summoning the stakes and killing the men, but since that scene went by so quickly anyway...
Yes but in the anime ost they include Mortal Stampede, why? only one episode remaining and they never used that bgm.
Old 2009-12-16, 17:24   Link #4242
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

Maybe when Ange appears in golden land I can Imagine it playing with some shatters when Ange enters the golden land.
Old 2009-12-16, 17:31   Link #4243
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekodot View Post
Except it is only the very end and I want to see the epic blue vs red... which will most likely be omitted in Deen's adaptation because they seem to hate important colored text...
True, true... but you've still got your imagination, don't you?
This is when the magic you've learnt in Umineko kicks in. Turn this ugly reality into something better.

I'm imagining it right now, but instead of red swords or blue stakes, there are rainbows, bubbles and ponies with rainbow tails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanyuuChan View Post
Maybe when Ange appears in golden land I can Imagine it playing with some shatters when Ange enters the golden land.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEdWWqcWysM

Ange: Maria, if you want to see Sakutaro again, give me a hell yeah!
Beatrice: Hey, who do yo...
Ange: What?
Beatrice: As I said, who...
Ange: What?!

Best.Idea.Ever
Old 2009-12-16, 18:18   Link #4244
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneleth View Post
I know but it's on the anime OST so they're gonna use it somewhere. :P
A lot of music in the OST wasn't used in the anime.

I just don't think mortal stampede is a good fit for the scenes of next week's episode.
Old 2009-12-16, 21:37   Link #4245
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
A lot of music in the OST wasn't used in the anime.

I just don't think mortal stampede is a good fit for the scenes of next week's episode.
Then it has to, has to, HAS TO use this:

Since they have 12 minutes to work with for the Tea Party and ???? (I genuinely can't complain), I don't see how they couldn't use that.
Old 2009-12-16, 21:52   Link #4246
bigemperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
Then it has to, has to, HAS TO use this:

Since they have 12 minutes to work with for the Tea Party and ???? (I genuinely can't complain), I don't see how they couldn't use that.
they are going to use dreamdenddischarger for sure, the anime version last ONLY 3 MINUTES so is ideal for them only 3 minutes of great discussion the rest = shit.
Old 2009-12-16, 22:11   Link #4247
Ttak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Dragons View Post
I think that the Golden Land scene might go something like:
-Ange breaks in-
Maria: Ange! =D
Beato: What are you doing here? Only MARIA and I can be in this world!
Ange: What about Sakutarou?
Maria: D=
Beato: Stop! Why are you reopening MARIA's wound?!
Ange: ...Maria, if I could bring Sakutarou back, would you leave this world?
Maria: Of course I would!
-Sakutarou revival-
Beato: That's impossible!
Ange: No, it's real magic. Now get back to the gameboard. Battler is waiting.
-World breaks, Angeburger, etc.-
And then Ange became fast-food...

Thanks for the sig Risa chan
Old 2009-12-17, 06:25   Link #4248
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by chounokoe View Post
Well, as long as it isn't the typical 'Other studios would have done it better, it's all DEEN's fault' argument over and over again.
All relatively recent DEEN works (except the RoD OVAs) have really, really shitty animation for some reason. This might have something to do with it.

It's not just the budget... they're simply a bad studio.

Quote:
It's not like there's something wrong with being picky at the right times, but I always failed to see the logic in the above point....what exactly would have another studio done differently?
Umineko sort of requires a certain artistic flair to it that DEEN seems incapable of doing.

Characters in the background just stand there with their arms at their sides, expressionless, the 'camera' angles are boring, DEEN doesn't see the value in stuff like the Red Web, etc.

I'd still love to see KyoAni's version of Umineko, to be honest.

Quote:
But I was always bugged by that DEEN hatred based on them not including everything, because I ask myself...how would another studio miraculously created more room out of thin air?
Another studio wouldn't try to shove 4 arcs into 26 episodes, for one thing.

It's not just that DEEN cuts things, it's also that they pace things... oddly.. and the animation is generally hideous, as well as the removal of awesome music tracks for no understandable reason.

This is an amazing story given to a infamously subpar studio and it's depressing.
Old 2009-12-17, 06:34   Link #4249
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post

I must say... I never really understood why people praised Kyoani ability to make good adaptions until I've seen their Clannad and the one made by Toei. There I understood.

It's not just a matter of things you cut. Even if Toei could make 200 episodes their version of Clannad would still sucks.

I still think that Kyoani's animation style wouldn't be appropriate for Umineko, but certainly they would have done a noticeable better work in directing it.

Old 2009-12-17, 06:36   Link #4250
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Quote:
Please no. The style wouldn't have fit at all. Really.... Horror/Spsense with a bit gore + KyoAni = o.O

Quote:
Another studio wouldn't try to shove 4 arcs into 26 episodes, for one thing.
Other studios would have done that, as well.

Quote:
It's not just that DEEN cuts things, it's also that they pace things... oddly.. and the animation is generally hideous, as well as the removal of awesome music tracks for no understandable reason.
I can't disagree with the odd pacing but the animation is not hideous in general. Yes, there are many stills that look awful. I can't deny that but in general it isn't hideous. The first Negima! anime was.. Umineko's QUALITY pales against that one.
You can't shove all of those awesome tracks into the anime. First it is expensive, second it wouldn't work. Let's look at the Geore vs Gaap and jessica vs. Ronove scene. There are at elast three awesome tracks in there. Hibuta, Victima and Mortal Stampede. It feels awkward in anime if you change the BGM in such a short time to often. It feels diconnected. Of course their overuse of suspicion in the second arc was a bit annoying but hey when was the last time you heard it now?
Old 2009-12-17, 06:44   Link #4251
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsu View Post
Please no.
Even if their sponsors are idiots, KyoAni is top-of-the-line when it comes to artistic animation.

Quote:
...Actually, I'm not so sure about that. Not if you got a studio and sponsor capable of intelligence, and if Ryukishi actually worked with them...

Quote:
I can't disagree with the odd pacing but the animation is not hideous in general. Yes, there are many stills that look awful. I can't deny that but in general it isn't hideous. The first Negima! anime was.. Umineko's QUALITY pales against that one.
It's not just how the art looks, it's the directional choices too... it's like they're done by an uneducated orangutan.

I still can't get over that shot from the first arc with Nanjo, Kumasawa, and Genji standing at attention in the background...

And some of the idiotic mistakes they make... do these people have the concept of quality checking?

Quote:
You can't shove all of those awesome tracks into the anime. First it is expensive, second it wouldn't work. Let's look at the Geore vs Gaap and jessica vs. Ronove scene. There are at elast three awesome tracks in there. Hibuta, Victima and Mortal Stampede. It feels were awkward in anime if you change the BGM in such a short time to often. It feels diconnected. Of course their overuse of suspicion in the second arc was a bit annoying but hey when was the last time you heard it now?
I understand that many BGM tracks won't fit, but... their own music, while not terrible, isn't exactly fitting either.

It's just... if you're adapting a sound novel, well...
Old 2009-12-17, 07:26   Link #4252
mizou
Observer

the less sales of the dvds
the bad quality adaptation !
bad choice directive
Anime only watchers disapointed !
I don't think the 2nd season Chiru will be released!
but of course we still have the VN ! fortunately !!
Old 2009-12-17, 07:32   Link #4253
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Yeah, I don't expect a second season, either.

The anime is pretty terrible and boring compared to the novel, but I suppose some of that is inevitable. We have to remember the differences between various forms of media....
Old 2009-12-17, 07:45   Link #4254
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Well, as long as it isn't the typical 'Other studios would have done it better, it's all DEEN's fault' argument over and over again.
It's not like there's something wrong with being picky at the right times, but I always failed to see the logic in the above point....what exactly would have another studio done differently?
Because studio DEEN has a very bad adaptation history over the years.
If you asks any FSN VN reader, you have 99% chance to notice they did a very poor job (not as bad as JC Staff with Tsukihime, mind you).

I won't say that all complaints are legitimate, but a good chunk are, considering how Deen seems to keep their "touch" for their adaptations which isn't anything stellar.

And seriously, people already knew about Higurashi butchered treatment for Onikakushi => Tsumihoroboshi, yet they do something extremely jarring with Umineko, despite they aren't doing an experimental adaptation here.
Quote:
I have seen not ONE adaption that was able to stay on the level of faithfullness that Umineko's VN-fans expect DEEN to produce...every studio is forced to make cuts here and there and while I agree that many of the cuts that Kon decided for Higurashi were terrible (especially Tatarigoroshi and Tsumihoroboshi) I can think of only 2 episodes that I found were hitting a wrong pace in terms of taking away space for more important things....as far as we can assume what is important yet.
I hate to use absurd kind of examples but Kyoto Animation managed to do a lot of tour de force regarding Key adaptations, despite the original story of these series wasn't anything easy for a linear narration through an anime adaptation.
Likewise, ufotable manages to convey an immersive atmosphere for KnK with smart use of ambiant gradient, timed flashbacks and camera angle (and of course, absurd budget).

If we were to ignore the budget issue, the direction of Deen productions is most of the time... really lacking.

Quote:
The problem is 26 episodes just do not suffice for the proportions of Umineko...especially because compared to Higurashi there isn't as far as much removable content in there.
The fact is we have a 26 episodes limit and people were always complaining how things were being to cut down (except on 2 occasions)...there can be other studios as much as we want the fact that there is a certain limit won't suddenly change because of that. Umineko isn't a big franchise game with huge marketing opportunities that sponsors will die to pu their money in for....

So I don't understand how exactly people expect another studio or another adaption to work better with this very limited timeframe...
I think the biggest issue is how they really failed to convey what Umineko's story was about. Cuts were to be expected, moreso than Higurashi. However, if non VN reader start to think it is silly or looking like a comedy / irrational show, you bet there is something wrong with the presentation of the series.
And this goes even more problematic when the pace is being totally toyed for no particular reason.

Quote:
Please no. The style wouldn't have fit at all. Really.... Horror/Spsense with a bit gore + KyoAni = o.O
You don't know until they try.
Remember that Kyoto Animation did FMP Second Raid, which is totally different from their Key and haruhi adaptations.

KA isn't the only good studio for this franchise: Bones, Madhouse, Ufotable and Productions IG are definitely within the caliber of Umineko.
I don't expect anything like Kara no Kyoukai, but I would have killed for an Umineko adaptation under the banners of those who were in charge of KnK adaptation.
Quote:
I really don't think it would be a certain science. Furthermore, even if all arcs are cramped together, a certain direction can fix this.

To begin with, if Deen was only a problem regarding the cuts, it wouldn't have been that bad.
My issue with Deen, or rather, Chiaki Kon, is the fact they do so many silly choices regarding the script (cutting important red facts, removing the red for several instances, changing the fashion of death etc), along with a very stupid pacing (few episodes are way too rushed, while some are basically slow as hell), and production quality.
Like Kaisos said, there are too many uneffective or even silly camera angles (especially regarding Jessica, for obvious reasons).

Quote:
You can't shove all of those awesome tracks into the anime. First it is expensive, second it wouldn't work. Let's look at the Geore vs Gaap and jessica vs. Ronove scene. There are at elast three awesome tracks in there. Hibuta, Victima and Mortal Stampede. It feels awkward in anime if you change the BGM in such a short time to often. It feels diconnected. Of course their overuse of suspicion in the second arc was a bit annoying but hey when was the last time you heard it now?
Expensive? Huh, absolutely not: you would have to pay the royalties to Dai and co, which is much easier than hiring a professional anime composer, who will have to make a BGM from scratches, while remaining within the scope of Umineko.
Your example doesn't hold the candle: they don't have any restriction in that scene to use at least one of them.
And some studio managed to exploit the original material BGM without any problem (see again Clannad, and you will understand).
Old 2009-12-17, 07:49   Link #4255
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Any of the top-tier studios would do a better job than DEEN and Chiaki Kon, basically.

I wouldn't actually mind seeing BONES try this... at least they have the capability of churning out 50+ episode series, which the first four arcs would need to give any kind of similar experience to the VN.
Old 2009-12-17, 10:34   Link #4256
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Any of the top-tier studios would do a better job than DEEN and Chiaki Kon, basically.

I wouldn't actually mind seeing BONES try this... at least they have the capability of churning out 50+ episode series, which the first four arcs would need to give any kind of similar experience to the VN.
Or maybe they wouldn't because many studios have, despite producing SOME good anime from it, a history of altering the source material so much, it either made no sense anymore regarding the intention of the source or it was just superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari
You don't know until they try.
Remember that Kyoto Animation did FMP Second Raid, which is totally different from their Key and haruhi adaptations.

KA isn't the only good studio for this franchise: Bones, Madhouse, Ufotable and Productions IG are definitely within the caliber of Umineko.
I don't expect anything like Kara no Kyoukai, but I would have killed for an Umineko adaptation under the banners of those who were in charge of KnK adaptation.
BONES 2 adaptions I remember for example, Scrapped Princess and Jyu-Oh-Sei, were horrible. Especially the first one featured so many bad decisions regarding cuts and the ending was just silly.

Madhouse then, while a studio with considerably good basic results, also has a history of altering source material to their liking. While Chaos;head as a stand alone anime was good, they cut so many parts on explantion and other things, that some stuff seemed even more like senseless techno-babble than it did in the VN. And their good adaptions on a level of atmosphere were still heavily cut down, like Mouryou no Hako, Kurozuka or Himitsu...while I loved those series for what they became in the adaption process, it's something you just can't do when adapting Umineko.

And Production I.G., well, what good(!) adaptions did they produce? I remember them producing quite good anime from time to time...but I can't remember them doing a considerable adaption job which was worth mentioning.

The problem with the adaption's of for example Clannad in comparison to Umineko is, that in a plot that doesn't rely on so many basic facts to be effective like a detective story, it is much easier to be 'true to the source' without loosing to much time.
I agree that there would have been a much bigger budget needed for an adaption of Umineko though. Maybe even a budget on the scale of Kara no Kyoukai...yet how do you gain such a budget?!
There is the problem that Umineko can't feature such an (almost insulting) amount of product placement...or is there someone who suddenly wants to hear Ronove go buy Häagen Dasz, or Jessica's favourite place being the (then not existing) Starbucks on the next island? While I love KnK's adaption for it's good points...that was always something that I found distracting, because they didn't even try to NOT focus on those points.
...and to be honest, comparing those adaptions is a bit off from the beginning, because of the source materials. One is a 1300 pages novel stretched on 490 minutes, which is almost a 26 episode series, the other one is based on a VN which's novel adaption of the first 2 Episodes already has 1190 pages. Which means Umineko is almost 2 times the size of KnK's material in the same amount of time.

But I will always respect ufotable for managing to become the studio featuring 'the best adaption' (Kara no Kyoukai) after they produced the worst adaption (Tales of Symphonia)...they really managed to get their boat to turn, even though I think KnK was their only real success...

I respect it if people don't like the Umineko anime, but the claim that another studio would have immediatly made it better...just doesn't seem right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizou
the less sales of the dvds
the bad quality adaptation !
bad choice directive
Anime only watchers disapointed !
I don't think the 2nd season Chiru will be released!
but of course we still have the VN ! fortunately !!
Well of course I can't speak for your side, but the anime only viewers I know all liked the anime. Some are considering to read the VN after it, some don't like reading extensive stuff at a computer screen...happens...but they enjoyed what Umineko gave them.
Old 2009-12-17, 10:58   Link #4257
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
BONES 2 adaptions I remember for example, Scrapped Princess and Jyu-Oh-Sei, were horrible. Especially the first one featured so many bad decisions regarding cuts and the ending was just silly.

Madhouse then, while a studio with considerably good basic results, also has a history of altering source material to their liking. While Chaos;head as a stand alone anime was good, they cut so many parts on explantion and other things, that some stuff seemed even more like senseless techno-babble than it did in the VN. And their good adaptions on a level of atmosphere were still heavily cut down, like Mouryou no Hako, Kurozuka or Himitsu...while I loved those series for what they became in the adaption process, it's something you just can't do when adapting Umineko.

And Production I.G., well, what good(!) adaptions did they produce? I remember them producing quite good anime from time to time...but I can't remember them doing a considerable adaption job which was worth mentioning.
While I admit you won't see a foulproof studio regarding adaptation, the purpose was to name a non exhaustive list of studios with decent recent series, with also a certain experience to mood setup.

That being said, I really don't even want to hear anything about CH, as it is nearly as bad as tsukihime

Quote:
The problem with the adaption's of for example Clannad in comparison to Umineko is, that in a plot that doesn't rely on so many basic facts to be effective like a detective story, it is much easier to be 'true to the source' without loosing to much time.
While I agree that Umineko has much more complex situations and facts to deal with it, I believe a series like Clannad was as challenging considering the relationships, mood and continuity to keep, especially that merging most routes from a VN like that is pretty insane.
I know their respective categories are really 2 opposite face of a coin, but essentially speaking, the scripting efforts are by no mean that different in term of brain racking fun time.

Quote:
I agree that there would have been a much bigger budget needed for an adaption of Umineko though. Maybe even a budget on the scale of Kara no Kyoukai...yet how do you gain such a budget?! There is the problem that Umineko can't feature such an (almost insulting) amount of product placement...or is there someone who suddenly wants to hear Ronove go buy Häagen Dasz, or Jessica's favourite place being the (then not existing) Starbucks on the next island? While I love KnK's adaption for it's good points...that was always something that I found distracting, because they didn't even try to NOT focus on those points.
I don't expect such budget considering the format and the hype.
That being said, I was always annoyed by such marketing choice considering the producers should know how the Naku Koro ni franchise is famous. So, being shy and stingy on the budget looks like a utter waste of potential for their own good.
In fact, it was a blatant loss/loss situation, as we can see with the DVD charts.

That being said, I really doubt the volvic and häegen dasz sponsor (and prolly few extra) were that much of a driving lion share of ufotable budget.
But I believe that a series like umineko would have been really oustanding with like... half of KnK budget, imho, unless expenses scale is really different from what I can imagine.

Quote:
...and to be honest, comparing those adaptions is a bit off from the beginning, because of the source materials. One is a 1300 pages novel stretched on 490 minutes, which is almost a 26 episode series, the other one is based on a VN which's novel adaption of the first 2 Episodes already has 1190 pages. Which means Umineko is almost 2 times the size of KnK's material in the same amount of time.
I wasn't trying to compare both series in term of adaptation in its true sense, as it is foolish. I guess I didn't word it correctly.
I mentioned KnK mainly due to its outstanding artistic sense and production value which aren't shamed by random camera and the like.
KnK is by far ridiculous in sheer size, but the said mood is overwhelming in the original story. Because of its format, the movies had to use a lot of direction choices and appealing presentation to lead to what the original material was.
Which is absolutely not what you can see with umineko (ritual SIDEWAYSSS, diving camera on Jessica's butt etc).

Quote:
But I will always respect ufotable for managing to become the studio featuring 'the best adaption' (Kara no Kyoukai) after they produced the worst adaption (Tales of Symphonia)...they really managed to get their boat to turn, even though I think KnK was their only real success...
Don't ask me, I was almost cringing with ToS... but it wasn't as mind numbing as ToP

Quote:
I respect it if people don't like the Umineko anime, but the claim that another studio would have immediatly made it better...just doesn't seem right.
I think the general idea is that: no one can do "worse" than DEEN with proper production, which sounds exaggerated first, but not so far from a fan point of view.
Of course, we will never know since there is no way it will happen, but that's a shared sentiment that isn't that far fetched, if you compare to several series we had so far with Deen and others.
Old 2009-12-17, 11:46   Link #4258
Geekodot

I almost expect them to have some sort of miracle move up their sleeve to save the show... but then again, it's Deen...
Old 2009-12-17, 12:06   Link #4259
June 1983

I think the best comparison of an adaptation with Umineko would be Madhouse's adaptation of Monster. I don't think a more faithful adaptation of any non-anime source has ever been made ... and like Umineko, Monster is a series in which many little details are extremely important, and in which there is a huge cast of characters (though in Monster most of the characters are only around for a few episodes each).

At the same time, Madhouse has done poor adaptations, too. (I would count Death Note as one, personally. They were too in love with Light ... they spent too much time on, say, the Yotsuba arc, and not enough time on the second arc, which I personally loved, and which I think could have been improved greatly if they'd actually spent more time on it than the manga ... and of course they changed the ending, mostly because they wanted to fap to Light more).

So, unfortunately, one good anime adaptation does not point to another one.
Old 2009-12-17, 12:22   Link #4260
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
Yeah well, I think we agree on the point that there is no foolproof studio and that's the only criticism I had with what most people are saying.
It's not like another studio can guarantee Umineko being better...it COULD also very well mean that they could make it worse, who knows.

You mentioned ToP, even though it's not a VN, THAT was an inconsistent mess.
In the end it was just for people who played the game and wanted to see some scenes animated...at least ToS made the attempt to create a feeling of consistent plot (even though there were enough jumps).
We could have had such an Umineko, where in one moment we're seeing Beato slaughtering people and in the next episode we're suddenly 4 chapters further, because investigation was deemed unimportant.

I think the biggest problem is, that maybe Chiaki Kon wants to cram EVERYTHING in there and somewhere along the way they just lost track of how much time they've got for how much content. I don't even know why they chose do have so many people working on that project (3 scripters, 12 storyboarders, 9 episode directors....no wonder they went insane) no wonder they lost track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
While I admit you won't see a foulproof studio regarding adaptation, the purpose was to name a non exhaustive list of studios with decent recent series, with also a certain experience to mood setup.

That being said, I really don't even want to hear anything about CH, as it is nearly as bad as tsukihime
I understood that, I just wanted to point out that even foolproof can go wrong.
Well...I dreaded KnK's adaption when I heard ufotable was doing them and it wasn't until the 3rd movie that I was sure they made something good.
Many people seem to have seen one or two good series of a studio (mostly series that are original or had a major budget boost) and assume that the studio is now foolproof...it was just a way to build up a counter-point to yours, showing both sides.

Quote:
While I agree that Umineko has much more complex situations and facts to deal with it, I believe a series like Clannad was as challenging considering the relationships, mood and continuity to keep, especially that merging most routes from a VN like that is pretty insane.
I know their respective categories are really 2 opposite face of a coin, but essentially speaking, the scripting efforts are by no mean that different in term of brain racking fun time.
I largely agree on that part, yes. Still there wasn't the extra tension during Clannad that a certain amount of clues had to be presented, while also being withheld by the fact that things couldn't be altered that much without maybe changing important parts of the plot...
That's the problem I see with adapting such a complex detective story (to call it like that is a bit off, but fits the most towards the points I adress) in comparison to a dating sim.
It doesn't matter that much if the meeting place of two people is altered if the result is only to shorten the distance between to events and make them both happen in the same plotline. Not if the sole point of the plot is character interaction...they just have to restructurize some events.
Yet this restructuring is nearly impossible in a plot where the when, where, how and what is part of a clue-system. I remember you of how many people knowing the VN still wonder if it will be a plot hole where Kyrie and the others were killed in the anime...

I just want to point out that it is easier to alter stuff if the sole reason for "X meeting Y" is for X to have met Y to create character interaction, then it is if the reason for "X meeting Y" may be to place X in place Z at time D making it impossible for Y to be at place Q at time E.
I don't want to make KyoAni's work look less good, they did a very good job in their field...but they also had more freedom to work with and we don't know how the team of Umineko would have done under the circumstances.

Quote:
I don't expect such budget considering the format and the hype.
That being said, I was always annoyed by such marketing choice considering the producers should know how the Naku Koro ni franchise is famous. So, being shy and stingy on the budget looks like a utter waste of potential for their own good.
In fact, it was a blatant loss/loss situation, as we can see with the DVD charts.
On that I agree completely of course...but today almost everyone is a bit shy to finance something that is not a guaranteed success.
As far as I know there was only bought space for 13 episodes of Tatakau Shisho at first...I don't know if it's true, but they weren't sure either. Sure, being a bit less daring may have paid off...maybe Umineko should have gone the same way.

I also think they could have given a bit more money for that...but still even though Umineko has a strong fanbase, the growing potential for that fanbase is smaller compared to other series, which sponsors might want to put their money into.
It still is an Otaku thing and not so many people really go out and buy that stuff. It's not like a Shounen Jump Series or some evening anime which basically finances itself through the fact that basically everyone has to know it.

But I agree...it was a terribly bad decision to market it THAT small.