Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2024-03-15, 18:52   Link #1261
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroKing View Post
ngl part of me kept thinking Ubel was gonna walk in and just slice Serie in half had she tried to fail her
Sense disqualified Ubel and no attampt was made to kill Sense.

well, and Serie would certainly survive such a thing. I'm anime only, have not read the manga... but for sure in her long life, Serie has encountered someone with Reelseiden or some similar spell - and she already has a counter to it.

unfortunate for Burg, he did not expect someone like Ubel to appear. Which leads to his quick death.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2024-03-16 at 04:26. Reason: typed "with" twice, was rushing in the morning
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-15, 18:57   Link #1262
ChronoReverse

The counter to Reelseiden is the ordinary defensive magic. Easy bet Serie could maintain full coverage longer than Ubel could keep up attacks.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-15, 19:08   Link #1263
nojay
Scanlator

I don't think Serie hides her mana as Frieren habitually does since Serie has no need to deceive demons as she never faces them. When we "see" Serie's mana in the anime (and the manga) it's like Frieren's mana at the end of episode 10 after she defeats Aura. Serie does have absolute control of her mana though but during the interview when she asks Fern what she sees, Fern replies "It's fluctuating" and only then Serie smiles.

Serie knows her mana fluctuates but she has it under such control that most other mages, even first-class mages like Sense can't see that minute instability. Fern can see it though.
Old 2024-03-15, 19:35   Link #1264
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Serie is not happy about all the people who passed the test. Not because she disagrees with better cooperation between mages, but most of them only passed because of Frieren and Fern, so they may not truly be qualified to be 1st class mages. Which means she and her flying cape are going to assess them personally .
Serie's assumption is wrong though. Frieren was more or less a non-factor in the second exam, since she took care of her own clone (with big help from Fern). If you removed her, Sense's clone would most likely be the one guarding the door, and Übel can get past her easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
And she's not overly attached with what "everyone knows" about magic. Serie's problem with Frieren's favorite spell may be that it's something Flame taught her instead of something she discovered herself. (Then again, there's a good chance she was going to disapprove of Frieren's choice regardless of what it was.)
Frieren's assessment was correct. Serie was going to fail her no matter what she said because those two just really can't stand each other. She was probably also right about her intending to fail Fern because she's her student, but she knew Serie would never hold back a mage as talented as Fern. Fern is seemingly the first human to have ever seen past Serie's mana suppression. That makes her a big fucking deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
I don't think Serie hides her mana as Frieren habitually does since Serie has no need to deceive demons as she never faces them. When we "see" Serie's mana in the anime (and the manga) it's like Frieren's mana at the end of episode 10 after she defeats Aura. Serie does have absolute control of her mana though but during the interview when she asks Fern what she sees, Fern replies "It's fluctuating" and only then Serie smiles.

Serie knows her mana fluctuates but she has it under such control that most other mages, even first-class mages like Sense can't see that minute instability. Fern can see it though.
Mana only fluctuates when you suppress it. It's a side effect of it that Frieren spent a thousand years trying to conceal. I don't know why people are thinking so hard about this. Our jaws were meant to drop when she revealed her mana is also fluctuating because that means what everyone sees is only a fraction of her real power, yet she has them all worshiping her as a Goddess. It also implies she's a LOT older than Frieren.

Serie was Flamme's master, it makes perfect sense she was the one taught her the concept of suppressing her mana to deceive demons.
Old 2024-03-15, 20:42   Link #1265
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Serie's assumption is wrong though. Frieren was more or less a non-factor in the second exam, since she took care of her own clone (with big help from Fern). If you removed her, Sense's clone would most likely be the one guarding the door, and Übel can get past her easily.

Frieren's assessment was correct. Serie was going to fail her no matter what she said because those two just really can't stand each other. She was probably also right about her intending to fail Fern because she's her student
Serie is primarily there to fail Frieren and anyone that would've failed without her help. It's not as many as Serie thinks, but it's not zero either.

There's a reason why Kanne got a longer scene than the others. She and Lawine would've failed the first test without Frieren's help. She's the exact kind of person that Serie doesn't want to pass.
Frieren could have helped others pass the third test like she did for Kanne in the first.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-15, 21:36   Link #1266
Decel

It's the most fun non-eventful episode I remember in recent memory.

Fern's fanservice: dual-wielding skewers while pouting.

And the teaser for the next episode, so damn fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
It's particularly poignant point to me since we also find out that
Spoiler:
I don't understand what you're implying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
I feel so bad for Serie's apprentice. The old dude notices Friren's instability and ends up getting roasted that he doesn't have much longer to live and can't fight her, so she shouldn't take on human apprentices. She's being a Tsudere, but come on the man was on your side for 50 years.

Also loved how when she was walking past him we saw how he looked as a younger mage. She probably does care about him considering she saw Flamme as a child while remembering her.
Serie is really nasty, though I would think that Lernen got used to that tongue over the years and knows better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragashingo View Post
Fern taught it to herself to hide from the demons attacking her village, didn't she? She was hard for Frieren to detect from the very beginning.
I would believe that Heiter was the one who taught her mana concealment, linked by the flashback where he called out Frieren's mana concealment in the early episode. He mentioned that he would teach his child to be a mage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Serie is primarily there to fail Frieren and anyone that would've failed without her help. It's not as many as Serie thinks, but it's not zero either.

There's a reason why Kanne got a longer scene than the others. She and Lawine would've failed the first test without Frieren's help. She's the exact kind of person that Serie doesn't want to pass.
Frieren could have helped others pass the third test like she did for Kanne in the first.
It makes perfect sense. Serie was acute to the distortion of the second test, whether because of Frieren and Fern and/or because of the collaborative nature of the test. She did mention that a typical third test would kill most candidates, so in that sense she's very mercyful.

Last edited by Decel; 2024-03-15 at 21:49.
Decel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-15, 22:56   Link #1267
Frontier

Now I'm really curious exactly what the normal 3rd test is.
Old 2024-03-16, 00:41   Link #1268
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Oh man, some good moments here. I love Lanfan offering a pouting Richter her half eaten donute ! Her and Denken were sweet in hanging around and keeping the team spirit alive even if their teammates was pouting (just in a different way from Fern).

I love Stark's commentary. Mostly because he says everything without any malice. He really doesn't get Fern most of the time himself. Poor guy had to engage in the impossible task of managing an upset Fern. This actually has been a rough arc for Stark. He's either left bored out of his mind while Frieren and Fern are taking tests or he's dealing with the emotional aftermath of the tests. But it was a magical exam arc. Not much room for him to shine within that framework.

Certainly terrifying that Serie is apparently hiding her mana. So much is showing off that no one has any doubt about how obscenely powerful Serie is, but that's somehow actually the tip of the freaking iceberg! Like a magic god just walking around!

Serie sure knows how to make for a speed run. All those episodes for the first few tests and just wipes out massive amounts of people in a few seconds . No surprise that the chat with Frieren was interesting. I think Frieren doesn't really care so she doesn't argue at the start. But also she does think that Serie doesn't approve of her.

Obviously the one place that Frieren does hold her ground is regarding the Demon King and her party. She didn't win alone and couldn't win alone. Yeah, there was good fortune in having the right people with her. Because Himmel recruited her everything changed. Without him she'd still be in that forest unable to make her move. Himmel saved the world in many ways, but that is one of them.

And god that flashback was top notch. That was beautiful and I love it. The rubbish spell that Flamme loved saved the world. I mean yeah, you can say a lot of things saved the world when broken down like that. But it did. That spell changed Himmel's life, changed Frieren's path, and brought together a party that saved the world. Even the smallest thing can mean something.

Love that Frieren was so right about Fern. Serie may have wanted to fail everyone, but Fern by simply being herself didn't allow it. Because her eyes are that darn good. She surpassed even the first of the first class mages in catching that Serie's obscene mana is wavering. Her being shocked thus isn't surprising. Because she can grasp what that means and the potential mountain of power that Serie is hiding.

No surprise that Fern turned the offer down. May pout and make a fuss about things. But sticking with Frieren is what she wants for herself. Nothing can be offered to turn her away from that. And she was also right that Serie couldn't possibly turn away Fern's potential. She's simply too promising. Even if she refused to become Serie's student.

Fern being the one to pass always seemed probable. Frieren doesn't care about the title and only one of them needs to pass for their present goal. Fern could actually make more use of it and her temporal perspective leaves her able to appreciate the value of having that title for future use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Now I'm really curious exactly what the normal 3rd test is.
I'm curious too. Serie talked about the first of the first class mages missing out on the chance to fight Frieren despite the potential to win. So my initial thought would be a 1v1 combat trial. But that person doesn't seem overly bloodthirsty so I can't imagine the massive casualties would come from that. Maybe they have one of the former Demon King generals in a prison and make the candidates fight him and see who survives? It has to be something absurd like that for Serie to say that so many would instantly die.
Old 2024-03-16, 05:45   Link #1269
TURI123456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
And she's not overly attached with what "everyone knows" about magic. Serie's problem with Frieren's favorite spell may be that it's something Flame taught her instead of something she discovered herself. (Then again, there's a good chance she was going to disapprove of Frieren's choice regardless of what it was.)

It's probably that she's tsundere, but she could also be sincere. (Plus, misleading her students would be another level of dick move.)

She said that it takes time, that Frieren isn't where she should be at her age... But Serie herself is a lot older. She's done all the things that were of a higher priority than Mana concealing. Throwing a few centuries into perfecting that skill is nothing.

She's not entirely fair, but she's not interested in being fair. She judges by instinct.

Yeah, I have zero problems with it either. It's the same mana pool, and I bet a lot of skills carry over. The catalyst is cheap enough that even an orphan like Heiter could get one. It just makes sense that any mage with the least bit of talent would learn at least enough divine casting for first aid.

She said that she give Frieren one chance if Frieren were saying that her favorite spell is a pragmatic spell she probably would let her over. By the way, Serie herself still uses this spell (to create the flowers that are around her).

Quote:

Kanne isn't over because of her personality if it was Lawine she probably was over Serie herself said the reason that she failed and that was something that was created as a result of Kanne's insecurity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

Frieren's assessment was correct. Serie was going to fail her no matter what she said because those two just really can't stand each other. She was probably also right about her intending to fail Fern because she's her student, but she knew Serie would never hold back a mage as talented as Fern. Fern is seemingly the first human to have ever seen past Serie's mana suppression. That makes her a big fucking deal.

Mana only fluctuates when you suppress it. It's a side effect of it that Frieren spent a thousand years trying to conceal. I don't know why people are thinking so hard about this. Our jaws were meant to drop when she revealed her mana is also fluctuating because that means what everyone sees is only a fraction of her real power, yet she has them all worshiping her as a Goddess. It also implies she's a LOT older than Frieren.

Serie was Flamme's master, it makes perfect sense she was the one taught her the concept of suppressing her mana to deceive demons.
That is not so complicated, Serie just has a personal problem with Frieren.

Her mana isn't the main reason the main reason is the fact that she knows so many spells and can give spells to people.
It's like saying that humans not going to admire a person who can give them the first prize in any lottery if he wants it.
TURI123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-16, 10:38   Link #1270
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURI123456 View Post
Kanne isn't over because of her personality if it was Lawine she probably was over Serie herself said the reason that she failed and that was something that was created as a result of Kanne's insecurity.
I was saying that Kanne wouldn't have even made it this far without Frieren's help. Both she and Lawine knew that.
Old 2024-03-16, 11:57   Link #1271
TURI123456

Quote:
I was saying that Kanne wouldn't have even made it this far without Frieren's help. Both she and Lawine knew that.
The way that you worded it makes it sound like you say that Serie doesn't over Kanne because of lack of ability, so I said that she is not over her because of personality reason (I don't say anything about Kanne's ability).

By the way, the first exam was a problematic one so I don't think that we can use it as a point for judgment.

My point is understandable?
Old 2024-03-16, 13:00   Link #1272
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
We have no idea how far Kanne and Lawine would have gone if Frieren hadn't been there. The two of them would have probably been filtered into other teams which very well could have passed. It's not like the two of them would be the only 2 person team just because Frieren is removed.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-16, 16:24   Link #1273
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Appreciate the responses, after reading the comments up to this point and rewatching that part of the ep, it makes perfect sense. The only thing that seems inconsistent for me after the comments is that the old guy apprentice said he was only able to tell Frieren was suppressing her mana due to a one-time fluctuation(at least that's what he implied). So is the old guy just so good at perceiving it, he could tell even when she's perfected the suppression or was it because a one-time "slip" by Frieren?

Also when the old guy makes the comparison between Frieren and Serie, I'm assuming he's comparing the mana Frieren had when she destroyed the barrier to current Serie. A minute fluctuation from near-nothing would be far more noticeable than a minute fluctuation from "a lot"(e.g. a ripple from a single drop of water into a small cup can be seen better than a small ripple from a drop of water into a lake or ocean), so isn't it possible that Frieren is still better than Serie, but Frieren's is easier to observe due to this aspect?

Other points to mention, I really like how comfortable Fern is about going to Stark for emotional support. Its not the first time in this series, but I do like how naturally it feels like they progressed with each other.

When it comes to Serie, as many on here have said, she is quite a tsun. She walked out from the other 1st class mages saying she shouldn't take on human students, but then tries to recruit Fern to be her apprentice. If I take what she said about "not taking human students" less literally, the only thing I can infer is that she is sad that Lernan(sp?) is old and that he still could reach a higher potential, but is limited by a human's timeframe. In actuality, I think its the thing she loves the most. The way her eyes lit up with Fern, I don't think I've seen a "spark" in her eyes(esp since they always look droopy ) like that at all(maybe when she was remembering the little Flamme, but not sure).

Ahh... I really like the hero party stuff; Himmel's reasoning for choosing Frieren was an interesting one. There's a romantic aspect to Himmel's and Frieren's relationship that isn't exactly defined in a typical romantic way. It has a considerable more impact knowing the eventual fates of this relationship. This really could have used its own series =0<....

Also small thing, seeing her talk so much really giving me Killua vibes, given the nature of explanations in HxH(same VA).

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-16, 16:33   Link #1274
Thor's Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Also when the old guy makes the comparison between Frieren and Serie, I'm assuming he's comparing the mana Frieren had when she destroyed the barrier to current Serie. A minute fluctuation from near-nothing would be far more noticeable than a minute fluctuation from "a lot"(e.g. a ripple from a single drop of water into a small cup can be seen better than a small ripple from a drop of water into a lake or ocean), so isn't it possible that Frieren is still better than Serie, but Frieren's is easier to observe due to this aspect?
I believe you misinterpreted the scene. The implication of this episode is that Serie's suppressed mana output is roughly equal to Frieren's full mana output, so Serie is far, far stronger than Frieren is.
Thor's Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-16, 16:41   Link #1275
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Appreciate the responses, after reading the comments up to this point and rewatching that part of the ep, it makes perfect sense. The only thing that seems inconsistent for me after the comments is that the old guy apprentice said he was only able to tell Frieren was suppressing her mana due to a one-time fluctuation(at least that's what he implied). So is the old guy just so good at perceiving it, he could tell even when she's perfected the suppression or was it because a one-time "slip" by Frieren?

Lernen could tell Frieren was suppressing her mana, but he couldn't tell that Serie was suppressing hers. From his perspective, Frieren's true mana levels are the same as what he sees from Serie.

Serie is showing that she's even better than Frieren is, both in capacity and suppressing her mana.
Old 2024-03-16, 16:50   Link #1276
TURI123456

Quote:

Other points to mention, I really like how comfortable Fern is about going to Stark for emotional support. Its not the first time in this series, but I do like how naturally it feels like they progressed with each other.

When it comes to Serie, as many on here have said, she is quite a tsun. She walked out from the other 1st class mages saying she shouldn't take on human students, but then tries to recruit Fern to be her apprentice. If I take what she said about "not taking human students" less literally, the only thing I can infer is that she is sad that Lernan(sp?) is old and that he still could reach a higher potential, but is limited by a human's timeframe. In actuality, I think its the thing she loves the most. The way her eyes lit up with Fern, I don't think I've seen a "spark" in her eyes(esp since they always look droopy ) like that at all(maybe when she was remembering the little Flamme, but not sure).

Ahh... I really like the hero party stuff; Himmel's reasoning for choosing Frieren was an interesting one. There's a romantic aspect to Himmel's and Frieren's relationship that isn't exactly defined in a typical romantic way. It has a considerable more impact knowing the eventual fates of this relationship. This really could have used its own series =0<....

Also small thing, seeing her talk so much really giving me Killua vibes, given the nature of explanations in HxH(same VA).
Lernen didn't see Frieren when she broke the barrier (however others First-Class Mage did see her) he saw her mana level when he saw her when Frieren and Fern went to register for the First-Class Mage exam.
About Serie, I think she just loves to teach people magic, and when she sees a talent she wants to be the one that teaches them.
Old 2024-03-16, 19:21   Link #1277
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Lernen is just that good, he was just being modest and Serie even called him out on it. It also tells us how amazing Fern is, since she was able to instantly see something Lernen who has spent half a century with Serie never noticed.

If you recall, Lernen is the one who invented the golems used in the second exam, so he's extremely talented. That's why Serie was so bummed out. No matter how much she trains them, her apprentices just die in the blink of an eye without realizing their full potential because of their limited lifespan.
Old 2024-03-17, 12:59   Link #1278
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Welp, after months of no anime vibe at all, about a week ago it finally returned. Just got up to speed on this. Reserving thoughts/comments until the final ep has aired.
Old 2024-03-18, 05:50   Link #1279
Liddo-kun
is this so?

I was busy with Genshin and Star Rail. Sorry for late reply. These were 2 pages back.

anyway, we were talking about who get the dungeon treasures after the Spiegel was defeated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
Fern better take charge of their share or Frieren will frivolously use it up! This would neatly solve their current funds problem.
assuming Sense allowed them to take home some gold, in addition to opening some mimics (lol). Some of the money probably went to fixing Fern's staff that got trashed. I do wonder how much Richter charged them for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURI123456 View Post

About the dungeon treasures it seems like Frieren wanted to take a few things that she found and she was trying to open the treasure boxes (in front of Sense and Fern that didn't say a thing about it) so I think that they can take things with them but not too much.
yeah I guess it's fine. Sense would have not allowed opening the treasure boxes if the test takers don't have any share in the loot. And Frieren probably get mad if she would not be allowed to open the chests.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-18, 06:43   Link #1280
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

The final exam was basically a job interview.

EDIT: Was caught by surprise about Himmel. He actually met Frieren way earlier in his life.

Last edited by Mad Pierrot; 2024-03-18 at 07:37.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, fantasy