AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2024-03-24, 01:36   Link #1341
Alchemist007
*Author

Good animation, good characters, good lessons, good humor. Hope they make more of it eventually.

10/10
Old 2024-03-24, 03:38   Link #1342
Xiyon

Overall, a very cozy series.

The closing arc, while not bad, also felt a bit 'eh' at times. It's just nitpicking on my part-- I was more interested in the characters' pasts than the characters themselves. I get it-- they're all mages. Cool and collected is their schtick. But lordy, did it grate on me that everyone reacts to a situation the exact same way.

Bring back the adventures of Stark-sama please!

The twist with Serie actually remembering all her disciples is a particularly nice touch. It's rather refreshing seeing a tsundere not be so totally obvious about their intentions.

Season 2, when?
Xiyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-24, 18:12   Link #1343
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I don't have much to add to what everyone else already said. It was a good ending to a very good show, and the whole "it will be embarrassing when we meet again" aspect is both a) a good way of suggesting that a second season might happen for the anime (even if it was apparently lifted straight from the manga), and b) a way of lampshading (along with the montage) that the author might have plans to bring back the people we've met along the way, so the fact they didn't get "closure" is not necessarily an accident. That kind of ties into my concern about this whole magical exam arc in that it introduced a lot of new characters at once but it wasn't entirely clear if they were really all relevant to the overall plot or if this was all a side-story. Between that and the further character development of some of the new characters this episode suggests that they will play a role, somehow, in what's to come.

I still feel like last episode ended on a bit of an odd note by doing Frieren/Fern first (along with all the failures), but they made the best of it by flashing back and trying to have the next ones segue into it. To have all the remaining ones pass was a bit obvious in a way, but at least the reasons for passing them were interesting. Like everyone said, I got a good laugh out of Land having never ever been there from the start -- making a mockery of the whole process by phoning it in and then still winning definitely shows both skill and guts.

That said, though... I still kind of have a bit of a small complaint about all this (and it is a small thing, not major). This episode did a lot of backfilling "but actually they're good people." But I haven't quite forgotten that Denken was portrayed as a ruthless politician who was seeking power for his own gain (maybe that was just a front?), or that Serie (despite later claiming to not want senseless death) was okay with that first test that clearly was going to get people killed. It's nice that we flesh out the motivation for all these winners/survivors, but does anyone even still remember the names of all those who died in round one? It's like "whelp, guess they weren't cut out to be a first-class mage!" Perhaps this is tied to the "awkwardness" of battle-oriented mages that this episode talked about. They did show that Serie cares about all her students, even if they're disappointments for not living up to her high expectations. I suppose they're trying to argue that doing these tests is supposed to be a sign of her caring for humanity and not letting them go to their own deaths in the North... but there's still this sort of base-level callousness about the whole thing that rubs me the wrong way, and I feel like never quite got explored by the story. They're sort of treating it like it's "inevitable." I feel like the fact they did find a bunch of qualified candidates this round might suggest that the process is working as intended, but I still can't really think so. (And again, this isn't like an "I hate it" complaint, just something that still kind of rubs me the wrong way about the world that's portrayed, even if it's portrayed that way intentionally.)

In any event... I do hope a second season happens as I'm looking forward to seeing where they go from here. Definitely a show that shows there's still room to explore new dimensions within the wider fantasy/adventure genre.
Old 2024-03-24, 18:23   Link #1344
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
But I haven't quite forgotten that Denken was portrayed as a ruthless politician who was seeking power for his own gain (maybe that was just a front?), or that Serie (despite later claiming to not want senseless death) was okay with that first test that clearly was going to get people killed.
In Serie's case she didn't want senseless death of promising mages. The riff raff who would die in round 1 aren't promising to her.

Quote:
It's nice that we flesh out the motivation for all these winners/survivors, but does anyone even still remember the names of all those who died in round one? It's like "whelp, guess they weren't cut out to be a first-class mage!"
I don't think the ones killed ever even got named? Unless you mean in-universe, in which case... yeah, they went beyond their capabilities and got RIP'd and no one outside of their immediate family will care.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-24, 20:25   Link #1345
scififan

Spoiler for off topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
In Serie's case she didn't want senseless death of promising mages. The riff raff who would die in round 1 aren't promising to her.
She the proctor of the second test. Maybe she stop the injury by bossing around the proctor of the first test . She is quite confident about her skill to keep them safe. Her automation technical skill is better than her close combat skill. When the test takers suffer heavy injury, her protable golems shield them and break the walls(where Denken fails to break). It would be interesting for her to show up again, but I don't see her in the ending credit. The way anime making ending credit feels like it is the prelude of upcoming events.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by scififan; 2024-03-26 at 23:37.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-25, 01:15   Link #1346
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan View Post
She the proctor of the second test. Maybe she stop the injury by bossing around the proctor of the first test.
Do you mean Serie or Sense proctored the 2nd exam?
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-25, 03:25   Link #1347
GDB

Quote:
She the proctor of the second test. Maybe she stop the injury by bossing around the proctor of the first test . She is quite confident about her skill to keep them safe. Her automation technical skill is better than her close combat skill. When the test takers suffer heavy injury, her protable golems shield them and break the walls(where Denken fails to break). It would be interesting for her to show up again, but I don't see her in the ending credit. The way anime making ending credit feels like it is the prelude of upcoming envents.
As said above, that's Sense, not Serie. Also those were Lernen's golems, not her's.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-25, 06:06   Link #1348
Liddo-kun
is this so?

looking back on the episode on the death of the hero. I was wondering why Himmel died before Heiter did?

When they partied with Frieren, Himmel looked like he's in his early to mid twenties, while Heiter looks like mid thirties to early 40's. I was thinking since Heiter was a priest, he was better at healing himself, so have longer life than Himmel?
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-25, 06:41   Link #1349
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I love how among the most serious comments Serie got, the woman simply said she was adorable like if she wanted to hug her. It's like she studied the situation but still found her cute. There was also another chibi short but I haven't seen translations
Old 2024-03-25, 08:46   Link #1350
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
looking back on the episode on the death of the hero. I was wondering why Himmel died before Heiter did?

When they partied with Frieren, Himmel looked like he's in his early to mid twenties, while Heiter looks like mid thirties to early 40's. I was thinking since Heiter was a priest, he was better at healing himself, so have longer life than Himmel?
They are the same age and grew up in a village together. Heiter is just someone who looks older than he is.
Old 2024-03-25, 09:20   Link #1351
Twi

And considering the priest drank like a fish, I'm surprised he lived a fairly long time.
Old 2024-03-25, 09:59   Link #1352
Thor's Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
And considering the priest drank like a fish, I'm surprised he lived a fairly long time.
Heiter revealed that he stopped drinking to Frieren years ago in his old age. He probably had rellly good genes. It wouldn't surprise me if his entire family lived fairly long.
Thor's Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-25, 13:21   Link #1353
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Being a Priest he could probably heal the damage his drinking was doing to him, up to a certain point.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-25, 14:06   Link #1354
Shadow5YA

Quote:
That said, though... I still kind of have a bit of a small complaint about all this (and it is a small thing, not major). This episode did a lot of backfilling "but actually they're good people." But I haven't quite forgotten that Denken was portrayed as a ruthless politician who was seeking power for his own gain (maybe that was just a front?), or that Serie (despite later claiming to not want senseless death) was okay with that first test that clearly was going to get people killed. It's nice that we flesh out the motivation for all these winners/survivors, but does anyone even still remember the names of all those who died in round one? It's like "whelp, guess they weren't cut out to be a first-class mage!" Perhaps this is tied to the "awkwardness" of battle-oriented mages that this episode talked about. They did show that Serie cares about all her students, even if they're disappointments for not living up to her high expectations. I suppose they're trying to argue that doing these tests is supposed to be a sign of her caring for humanity and not letting them go to their own deaths in the North... but there's still this sort of base-level callousness about the whole thing that rubs me the wrong way, and I feel like never quite got explored by the story. They're sort of treating it like it's "inevitable." I feel like the fact they did find a bunch of qualified candidates this round might suggest that the process is working as intended, but I still can't really think so. (And again, this isn't like an "I hate it" complaint, just something that still kind of rubs me the wrong way about the world that's portrayed, even if it's portrayed that way intentionally.)
I mean... being callous and having emotions are not mutually exclusive unless you're a demon. I don't think the show ever labels them as good or bad, just that they have emotions that influence their actions.

Serie has shown that she likes mages who are talented or determined enough to pursue their goals despite the costs (much like Flamme), and the tests filtered for those people as intended.

If they're willing to fight other teams to pass in the first test then work together to pass in the second, that shows that they're driven by emotions both good and bad, not that they lack them.

The first test showed that the characters are driven to
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-25, 14:35   Link #1355
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
They are the same age and grew up in a village together. Heiter is just someone who looks older than he is.
thanks for this info. Yeah, I guess Heiter looked old for his age. First time I saw the hero party, I thought him and Himmel approx had at least 10 year age gap.
Old 2024-03-26, 06:22   Link #1356
Liddo-kun
is this so?

just a few more thoughts before I give this thread some rest while waiting for season 2.

it's a sweet moment when Denken gave a treat to all the younger mages. Fern was choosing between two cookies, one that looks like a ribbon and another that looked like Chips Ahoy (lol), looks like they don't have enough budget to buy both. Denken purchased both cookies, plus some other cookies, and even delicious looking cream to put on the cookies. What made me smile is Fern and Stark were nice not to abuse the kindness of the old man.. they asked maybe he had grandchildren to spend the money on? To which Denken replied that he had no children or grandchildren. It's sad what happened to his wife - he obtained money and power too late to save her.

oh, and young Denken looks like someone you don't mess with. He looks tough even in his younger years.

good thing Laufen is a fighter kind of mage. She moves a lot. Won't get fat easily from all the snacks that Denken buys for her. xD
Old 2024-03-26, 08:26   Link #1357
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Not sure if this is okay but the first three DVDs have sold 6000 units in their first weeks of release.
Old 2024-03-26, 19:09   Link #1358
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
Not sure if this is okay but the first three DVDs have sold 6000 units in their first weeks of release.
DVD/BD sales don't matter anymore. But back when it did, 6000 would have been a great number.
Old 2024-03-26, 22:51   Link #1359
Frontier

Quote:
It looks more like the mangaka introduced Sein as a new party member, but found out there is no chemistry and dynamic for his role. So, Sein volunteered to exile himself from the party.
I think it was the opposite, it's just that Sein's role made things a little "easier" for the cast narrative and group-wise (especially when it came to managing) Stark and Fern).
Quote:
With Denken I view it as something he's pretty much grown out of but he still has that reputation from his younger years.
Quote:
We've seen what Fern thinks about drinking, maybe that was it .
Old 2024-03-27, 01:25   Link #1360
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
DVD/BD sales don't matter anymore. But back when it did, 6000 would have been a great number.
Oh, they stopped mattering in Japan? They used to be such a big thing for people in discussions. What happened?

Tags
adventure, fantasy