Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2019-07-17, 21:59   Link #1
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Fire at Kyoto Animation

Arson, they currently believe. Fire at Studio 1, apparently several serious injuries.

Disgruntled employee - or worse yet, crazed fan? Who knows at this point, but obviously a terrible story.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-17, 22:11   Link #2
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
アニメ会社で火事 けが人多数か

京都市消防局によりますと午前10時半すぎ、アニメ製作会社「京都アニメーション」のスタジオで火災が起き 、7人から8人ほどが大けが。警察によれば、男がガソリンのような液体をまいたということで、身柄はすでに 確保との情報。
Sourced from Twitter

Authorities believe that this might be a case of arson and appear to have apprehended one male suspect, although details are scant at this point.
Old 2019-07-17, 22:15   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

While there are a lot of studios where you wouldn’t be surprised if an ex-employee who’d been abused did something like this, Kyoto Animation isn’t one of them. Whatever you think of the end product their working conditions are among the best in the industry (as low a bar as that is). Their fanbase is pretty out there sometimes though, which does make you wonder.
Old 2019-07-17, 22:17   Link #4
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
While there are a lot of studios where you wouldn’t be surprised if an ex-employee who’d been abused did something like this, Kyoto Animation isn’t one of them. Whatever you think of the end product their working conditions are among the best in the industry (as low a bar as that is). Their fanbase is pretty out there sometimes though, which does make you wonder.
I wouldn't presume to suppose that it's an unhappy fan: I know that a lot of folks hated Kyoto Animation and some of their titles with every fibre of their being (K-On! comes to mind), but it's the height of stupidity and ignorance to torch a studio because of one's thoughts on their work. We'll have to wait and see what the cops say; for now, I just hope that casualties are minimal.
Old 2019-07-17, 22:23   Link #5
Toukairin
Banned

Damn, someone must have serious issues somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
I wouldn't presume to suppose that it's an unhappy fan: I know that a lot of folks (even here) hated Kyoto Animation and some of their titles with every fibre of their being, but it's the height of stupidity and ignorance to torch a studio because of one's thoughts on their work. We'll have to wait and see what the cops say; for now, I just hope that casualties are minimal.
I will also wait to see what the investigation says, but that's arguably the lowest of the low for anybody to torch such a company for whatever reason. Considering that the fire happened when people worked in there, that person is a serious nutcase for starters.

That fool better get ready for a long time in jail because he will sit in there for a while.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-17, 22:26   Link #6
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
I wouldn't presume to suppose that it's an unhappy fan: I know that a lot of folks hated Kyoto Animation and some of their titles with every fibre of their being (K-On! comes to mind), but it's the height of stupidity and ignorance to torch a studio because of one's thoughts on their work. We'll have to wait and see what the cops say; for now, I just hope that casualties are minimal.
I’m not presuming anything - just observing. If this was arson the broad categories are pretty limited - disgruntled employee, crazy fan or personal grudge. If this was a known black company, you’d be more inclined to think #1 but that KyoAni is not.

Tragically this sounds very bad - many critical injuries and extensive damage to the main studio. What a horrible thing to happen.
Old 2019-07-17, 22:33   Link #7
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Tragically this sounds very bad - many critical injuries and extensive damage to the main studio. What a horrible thing to happen.
That really sucks to hear.
Old 2019-07-17, 22:34   Link #8
MCAL

Seems there's some deaths now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/nhk_news/...94842117754881

EDIT:https://mobile.twitter.com/mainichi/...98158935658498

Seems to be just one person for now.

Last edited by MCAL; 2019-07-17 at 22:48.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-17, 22:49   Link #9
Toukairin
Banned

F***, f***, f***!

Horrible news. I can now only hope that the law will punish that arrested suspect very harshly. He better not get away with anything lenient at all now that homicide will be in the charges.
Old 2019-07-17, 23:00   Link #10
eceso

horrible news
eceso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-17, 23:39   Link #11
Ichinotachi

This is terrible, doesn't matter how much that guy hated Kyoani, doing this to other people is unforgivable.
Ichinotachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-17, 23:53   Link #12
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toukairin View Post
F***, f***, f***!

Horrible news. I can now only hope that the law will punish that arrested suspect very harshly. He better not get away with anything lenient at all now that homicide will be in the charges.
This is premeditated with intent to harm, so it's technically probably murder.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-17, 23:58   Link #13
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I just heard the news. I thought it was a joke at first, but when I saw the news and read the articles I was pissed beyond belief. From the “send her back” rally(s) and now this...Where’s aspirin when you need one?

My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families. Regardless of the perpetrators excuse I hope he won’t be getting off lightly. Considering the horrendous damage that was done. Sick bastard I swear.
Old 2019-07-18, 00:11   Link #14
MCAL

https://mobile.twitter.com/ultimatem...19692018552832

Seems to be a mass murder now. Sigh.....
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-18, 00:27   Link #15
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Judging by the number of horrible people making jokes already on Twitter ("Should never have made "Free", ha ha!") my inclination to suspect a sicko disgruntled fan seems to be quite realistic.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2019-07-18 at 00:45.
Old 2019-07-18, 00:32   Link #16
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Judging by the number of horrible people of making jokes already on Twitter ("Should never have made "Free", ha ha!") my inclination to suspect a sicko disgruntled fan seems to be quite realistic.
Oh, geez... That would beyond contempt against humanity if that's the suspected trail. Shitting on one title (of which I enjoyed BTW) after KyoAni gave us Full Metal Panic, Air, Haruhi Suzumiya, Clannad, Clannad: After Story, K-On!, and Violet Evergarden is totally out of order.

Besides, do Japanese authorities actually hunt people making extremely displaced comments about this or that on the web? That would help if an effective cybercrimes division could spot those people and lead to their arrest before they become too dangerous.
Old 2019-07-18, 00:35   Link #17
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

When you consider that, at 10 people dead and that's probably minimum, this is already one of the worst mass killings in modern Japanese history.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-18, 00:47   Link #18
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

[mod edit: Removed inconsiderate comment]

Anyways, dang, you don't hear much of these types of mass murders from Japan that often, so it is a surprise.
RIP.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2019-07-18 at 00:53. Reason: Removed inconsiderate comment
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-18, 00:47   Link #19
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toukairin View Post
Oh, geez... That would beyond contempt against humanity if that's the suspected trail. Shitting on one title (of which I enjoyed BTW) after KyoAni gave us Full Metal Panic, Air, Haruhi Suzumiya, Clannad, Clannad: After Story, K-On!, and Violet Evergarden is totally out of order.

Besides, do Japanese authorities actually hunt people making extremely displaced comments about this or that on the web? That would help if an effective cybercrimes division could spot those people and lead to their arrest before they become too dangerous.
I guess I hope I'm wrong, but in the end it doesn't make any difference - is it any less of a tragedy if it was a former employee or a jilted lover of an executive? Whoever it was is psychotic, and the victims are still the victims. The company will survive this, but the recovery is going to take a long time.
Old 2019-07-18, 00:50   Link #20
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Anyways, dang, you don't hear much of these types of mass murders from Japan that often, so it is a surprise.
In any case, **** the perp.

That person will be condemned to death by hanging based on existing laws, and he will feel what true loneliness is by the time he is brought to the gallows.