AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-04-26, 02:30   Link #1601
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I just don't want the series to get cancelled, the plot is getting too good to drop for something like art...but yeah, plagiarism can't be overlooked, this could last around a month at best.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 02:50   Link #1602
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Can she just said that she was 'inspired' by it ?
But the art looked pretty similiar, so I guess she can't get out with that one. . >.>

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 04:14   Link #1603
andrewsch5658
*Author

I believe Hoshino sensei did it unintentionally. I mean, seeing the current chapter, the introduction of the half-akuma is kind of like a set up for Kanda's past. So I believe she didn't plagiarise from others even though it looks similar.

Anyway, I hope Hoshino sensei is alright and wish D Gray Man can resume earlier than expected.
Old 2009-04-26, 04:45   Link #1604
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Holy shit, starfish hand, that's like the best idea since windmills and powdered milk. I can't believe Hoshino dared to copy such a magnificent design. Actually no, I would be *honoured* in fact because it is without a doubt the most pointless fail contraption I have ever seen.

I guess that's how it goes. For some reason the 4chan link isn't working anymore, but yesterday I looked at the other drawings which Obata and other mangaka claimed Hoshino plagiarized, and they were similar at best.

eta: I wouldn't think there'd be a legal basis to file a lawsuit for any of them except starfish hand.

Last edited by Kakashi; 2009-04-26 at 05:06.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 05:22   Link #1605
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Now, my fear is that the sensei might have stepped on some toes in SJ and didn't know about it. Don't forget: this is supposedly the 2nd time she did such a thing. Regardless, this whole business is not good.
Old 2009-04-26, 05:35   Link #1606
andrewsch5658
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Now, my fear is that the sensei might have stepped on some toes in SJ and didn't know about it. Don't forget: this is supposedly the 2nd time she did such a thing. Regardless, this whole business is not good.
The second time?? Is it?? This is actually the first time I knew about the plagiarism on DGM.
Old 2009-04-26, 06:28   Link #1607
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

That'd be too bad. It's not like the hand that eats is exactly a new concept (offhand, I can think of Vampire Hunter D and Inuyasha). While the two look especially close, they're generic enough I could believe in a coincidence. But still, one way or another, that's bad news.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 06:48   Link #1608
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Yep it's really a bad news D-Gray Man is one of my fav manga and the actual story was really good -_-
Old 2009-04-26, 06:57   Link #1609
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
What did she 'plagiarized' in the first time ?

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 13:13   Link #1610
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Im pretty sure everything will be sorted out.
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 22:32   Link #1611
strategos

The thing is that if this is true, its a serious matter but at the same time is kind of full BS. Because many of the mangas/anime we read or watch are copies of previous ones. Anyone remember Aquarion?

http://www.viz.com/apps
http://www.hulu.com
strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 00:31   Link #1612
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

The key is that Obata-sensei is a best-selling mangaka AND he chooses to pursue the matter. I think he might just get his way.
Old 2009-04-27, 19:27   Link #1613
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

I'm so sad.. i just read the chapter and . it goes on hiatus again ??is Senei sick again ?
Old 2009-04-28, 00:14   Link #1614
Cinocard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That'd be too bad. It's not like the hand that eats is exactly a new concept (offhand, I can think of Vampire Hunter D and Inuyasha). While the two look especially close, they're generic enough I could believe in a coincidence. But still, one way or another, that's bad news.
Starfish hands aren't anything new. Hands that have hole in its and drawn in such an angle that makes it looks like a starfish is...urgh, ancient? It's quite BS to say it's plagiarism, though it's hard to say otherwise in a court, should it happen.
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 01:56   Link #1615
Mark Hans Avon

I don't believe in plagiarism. Think about it. If an idea is great, and made a great experience within a story, why not use it again?

But I don't know if this in particular would count as a great experience within a story. x_x
Mark Hans Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 14:51   Link #1616
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Well,plagiarism is a serious offence, it is a form of stealing, although not as direct as blatant theft. Suppose I make a manga tomorrow and my main character is a koala-girl with bunny nunchucks (or whatever new/innovative there could ever be), and the manga becomes a great success because of it. Now, next month someone else uses the same theme on their already advancing story and their popularity goes up. So what's the difference?
-I spent many weeks trying to come up with the idea while the others just used mine in a matter of minutes, making it unfair and putting all my hard work to shame.
On the current case, if the prosecuting mangaka hasn't come up with the idea themselves, they can't really blame another person.
footnote: deceased people's ideas are considered public knowledge and afaik nobody got rights on them.

Quote:
I'm so sad.. i just read the chapter and . it goes on hiatus again ??is Senei sick again ?
Driven to court on grounds of plagiarism,read the previous page for more info
Old 2009-04-28, 15:10   Link #1617
Cinocard

Quote:
Well,plagiarism is a serious offence, it is a form of stealing, although not as direct as blatant theft. Suppose I make a manga tomorrow and my main character is a koala-girl with bunny nunchucks (or whatever new/innovative there could ever be), and the manga becomes a great success because of it. Now, next month someone else uses the same theme on their already advancing story and their popularity goes up. So what's the difference?
Um, accidental plagiarism is still plagiarism...
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 16:12   Link #1618
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Um, accidental plagiarism is still plagiarism...
Plagiarism by definition involves the use of known material, so there's no such thing as "accidental" plagiarism, it either is or isn't...anyway, none of my business, I'm not the one going to court:P
Old 2009-04-28, 16:56   Link #1619
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
Quote:
Originally Posted by usopsama View Post
Plagiarization is definitely bad news. Many times, the series get canceled. Hopefully it doesn't happen to D.Gray-man. Hopefully she will get away with reserialize what she stole. (Below)

I seriously do not believe she did it on purpose.

This seems to be the focus (correct me if I'm wrong):

Takeshi Obata vs. Hoshino Katsura:

Spoiler for :

Personally, it is not as bad as Dragon Ball vs. Cross Hunter:

Spoiler for :
thatīs rofl, but atleast DBZ is awesome, compared to that noname story, imo
LeaD36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 23:54   Link #1620
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Plagiarism by definition involves the use of known material, so there's no such thing as "accidental" plagiarism, it either is or isn't...anyway, none of my business, I'm not the one going to court:P
Well, it's the author's responsibility to ensure that his/her work is not copied from somewhere. Besides, what were her editors doing when they looked at the chapter?

Tags
action, manga, shounen, steampunk, supernatural