hoping to see in ep18:

More gn archer action
A revenge seeking soma/marie
Louise's new MA debut
Andrei's slow and painful death at the hands of Halleujah
another innovator's death
Neena Trinity killed by Louise
Wang Lui mei bitchslap no2

Last edited by Balder8472; 2009-02-07 at 16:51.
Balder8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 18:14   Link #743
kiramuro

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
You guys are all insane!
You're really making the counts to measure the velocity of the falling panels of the orbital elevator?
Why don't you link this thread to nasa, perhaps someone of you could get even hired...
Huh? Most of it's simple High School physics. Okay at worst it's mostly introductory freshman physics.

Don't get me wrong I think doing physics based on visual imagery of a fictional show is rather "counter productive " but I have to admit that sometimes I am guilty of it myself. You see the urge do so just comes naturally when you are in the engineering profession.
kiramuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 18:44   Link #744
miles316

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiramuro View Post
Huh? Most of it's simple High School physics. Okay at worst it's mostly introductory freshman physics.

Don't get me wrong I think doing physics based on visual imagery of a fictional show is rather "counter productive " but I have to admit that sometimes I am guilty of it myself. You see the urge do so just comes naturally when you are in the engineering profession.
Not to bust your bubble but many of to days technological advances have come about because a TV show has sparked some ones imagination. Complaining because some one spends their free time trying to reverse engineering technology from a TV show is counter productive.
miles316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 19:20   Link #745
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Have you people wondered what will happen if we stuck a SF with Meteor (earth capable) in the collapsing elevator situation?

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 19:26   Link #746
kiramuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles316 View Post
Not to bust your bubble but many of to days technological advances have come about because a TV show has sparked some ones imagination. Complaining because some one spends their free time trying to reverse engineering technology from a TV show is counter productive.
Oh you guys are free to do any mathematical analysis. I wasn't complaining. And I don't see how my bubble is burst since I stated clearly that I am guilty of it as well.

Since you brought it up.. yes imagination is good but technological advances didn't come about because of obsession with a fictional work. There is a difference between obsession with the work itself and the subject matter described by the work. Oberth didn't become a great rocket scientist because he wrote a detail analysis of Jules Verne's Moon books.
kiramuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 19:36   Link #747
tanqexe

Heh, as the cliche goes....sometimes art imitates life, and then other times life imitates art.

People of technical inclination get into this techno mumbo-jumbo sometimes just to kill time. Some people go bowling, other people go watch a football game...and some just like to work on puzzles.
Old 2009-02-07, 20:05   Link #748
LordStrike
Gundam Meister

sorry to ask the question here but what channel does gundam 00 air?
Old 2009-02-07, 20:12   Link #749
RDF2050
Superidol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordStrike View Post
sorry to ask the question here but what channel does gundam 00 air?
You have a PM.

Hey I have a question?

Why the innovator don't fight in this episode?
Old 2009-02-07, 20:23   Link #750
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghar View Post
Considering plates have a large surface area, they have much higher ability to absorb heat from reentry than iron spheres.
Most of the heat is going to go to the leading edge, so you're better off looking at the ratio of the surface area of that facing with the total volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghar View Post
81 tonnes is more likely.
A specific gravity of 2.7 translates to 2700 kg/m^3. So that would only be true if they were 3mm thick plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
My point is that if an object designed and prepped for reentry can still burn up, what more an object that isn't?
It's worth noting that Columbia was both going much faster (around Mach 20), and that it was spending far more time in the atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukou View Post
I misread one of your statements, involving your assumption of the plates, and then I'm going to assume you were talking about the amount of stress the plates have, rather then the actual weight of them. And you said yourself, the distance between it's initial fall, and the velocity of which it hits the ground isn't going to be very different, and this is all ready at 100kms max.
It's not 100km max. The lower limit should be at 10,000km.

Quote:
Once again, tell me how you get this, I realize meteorites can do this, but not only do they not produce as much heat because of the lack of surface area, but the material they are made of is also extremely heat resistant, also, these pieces are usually so small, that the threat they pose, isn't as great, as these gigantic plates, which will burn up..
They also have a much higher initial velocity, and they tend to spend much more time in the atmosphere, so they get heated up by more than 5000K. By the way, nickel-iron meteroites have a lower boiling point than carbon nanotubes.

Quote:
Yes, if I was a super computer, able to calculate where it'll be at any given time, within fractions of a second, being within a distance away from it, to neglect reaction time, eg: .16 seconds away at least. So even if it was 3 seconds from the target zone, I don't see how anyone could miss.
And yet we see easier shots miss all the time.

Quote:
Ok, for these, I will do the calculations, at 1000 cross sectional, 8100 kgs(not tons)
Please justify these numbers. I'm talking about aluminum, and a 8100kg block of aluminum has a volume of only 3m^3.

Quote:
It isn't as hot as you assume it to be, a metal in space, right outside the earth will possibly get 400 K, on the moon, when sun hits it, it gets about 300 K i believe.. can't remember. The difference between that and thousands of K I don't think you're understanding. It is unnecessary to make a structure to withstand the temperature for reentry..
Where did I write that it was necessary for a plate to be design to withstand the temperature of reentry? My point was that despite the heat, only a small portion of its mass would have been burned off. This is due to a combination of factors: the short exposure to the high temperatures, the relative heat resistance of the material, and by far the most important - the sheer size of the plate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
So why do you think that the shielding on the elevator is more heat resistant than meteors? Meteors in the vicinity of earth withstand the heat from solar radiation just fine, and they still burn up and break apart harmlessly upon entering earth's atmosphere.
It's a bit of selection bias. Complex electronics and structures suffer much more from adverse temperatures than lumps of rock. And remember that the larger meteorites don't completely burn up - however, most of meteors are of the much smaller variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
I'm almost positive the orbital mechanics would mean that almost all material would fall to the west of the tower, not straight down. Afterall, the earth's surface is still turning.
Earth's rotation won't have much of an effect since the entire elevator rotates at the same rate -

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanqexe View Post
I don't really get why there's all this hubbub about accuracy of shots. There were so many panels raining down that it was a veritable turkey shoot. If you miss the shot intended for one panel, chances are there's another panel farther away that would take the blast. With enough fire support saturating the air space, you can get good protective coverage from the debris for a small area. CIWS phalanx on ships act on similar principle by lobbing loads of rounds at anti-ship missiles with the aid of a targeting sensor system.
It's sort of the opposite of that problem. If there's enough density of falling plates, then there would be little chance of hitting a significant portion of them. And then there's the problem that most of the mass and velocity of the plates will remain, even after they've been shattered.

In the case of CIWS, they are becoming increasingly incapable of stopping new generations of hypersonic missiles because of a lack of reaction time, and the sheer momentum of the missiles.

My goal for bringing up accuracy is to point out the impossibility of aiming at, and hitting any one particular plate.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I think doing physics based on visual imagery of a fictional show is rather "counter productive " but I have to admit that sometimes I am guilty of it myself.
Agreed, except that the point is to have fun. If I didn't find it fun to discuss this kind of thing, then it'd really be pointless.

Quote:
Since you brought it up.. yes imagination is good but technological advances didn't come about because of obsession with a fictional work. There is a difference between obsession with the work itself and the subject matter described by the work. Oberth didn't become a great rocket scientist because he wrote a detail analysis of Jules Verne's Moon books.
Actually, there were a number of scientists who entered the field because of an interest in science fiction - I think that the most obvious example is Star Trek. There are also some proposals that first surfaced in fiction before they showed up in real life (Clarke's communication satellites spring to mind). Of course it's much more unlikely now because most of the workable ideas are already being explored, but it was a lot more common a few decades ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Have you people wondered what will happen if we stuck a SF with Meteor (earth capable) in the collapsing elevator situation?
It wouldn't help much because the fundamental problems still remain.
Old 2009-02-08, 07:25   Link #751
Aznavour0079
Maroon Comet

back in s1, what ever happened to the overseers of CB's actions; what if any of them entered the federation?
Aznavour0079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 22:52   Link #752
Okamidum
This is how CB rolls

Send a message via AIM to Okamidum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznavour0079 View Post
back in s1, what ever happened to the overseers of CB's actions; what if any of them entered the federation?
hoh hoh, I forgot about those guys. Maybe after CB was kinda butched they disbanded as well.
Okamidum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 23:07   Link #753
SuperiorX

saw so many death flags in this episode it aint funy but great episode overall. and if that person dies awsome two thums up.
SuperiorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-09, 00:29   Link #754
Nesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
This has got to be the most awesome episode to date!

it is indeed. just finished watching it. but damn it, stupid son..... moron!
Old 2017-11-18, 19:22   Link #755
AnimeFangirl

Colonel! COLONEEEEEEEEEL!!!!!!!!!

At least die against someone cool like the final boss, waaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

Ah well, I knew it was coming but I was hoping for something more... I dunno.