AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-12-22, 16:14   Link #41
Fronzel
Schmuck

Spiral

Just got 1 + box today......and I'll be damned if it isn't a bit messed up. I remember from the fansubs that the first part of the first episode was a kinda dream-like sequence with a flashback showing the last time Ayumu spoke to his brother, and it isn't on the DVD! Why are my professional materials missing footage?
Old 2004-12-22, 16:36   Link #42
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzel
Just got 1 + box today......and I'll be damned if it isn't a bit messed up. I remember from the fansubs that the first part of the first episode was a kinda dream-like sequence with a flashback showing the last time Ayumu spoke to his brother, and it isn't on the DVD! Why are my professional materials missing footage?
DO you still have the fansubs? have you checked? There is a possibility that FUNimation are using a JP DVD release of the show, which occasionally is altered from ordinary TV broadcast.
Old 2004-12-22, 16:47   Link #43
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
You mean the scene where he's talking to his brother on the phone? If it's missing, complain to the company. Hmm, I thought funi was getting better with their releases... This is the kind of thing that gave them a bad reputation in the first place. But as had been mentioned, that scene could have been ommitted in the r2 dvd version, or it could have been an authoring mistake.
Old 2004-12-22, 16:56   Link #44
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
You mean the scene where he's talking to his brother on the phone? If it's missing, complain to the company. Hmm, I thought funi was getting better with their releases... This is the kind of thing that gave them a bad reputation in the first place. But as had been mentioned, that scene could have been ommitted in the r2 dvd version, or it could have been an authoring mistake.
Actually, what gave them a bad rap in the first place was changing Dragonball Z/GT series in regards to music and dialouge.
Old 2004-12-22, 17:05   Link #45
Fronzel
Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
You mean the scene where he's talking to his brother on the phone?
Exactly. Ironically, I specifically liked that brief scene.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabiree
DO you still have the fansubs? have you checked?
I had them on discs I may have thrown away when it was licensed, but I remember it well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabiree
There is a possibility that FUNimation are using a JP DVD release of the show, which occasionally is altered from ordinary TV broadcast.
I am familiar with this phenomenon, but would it have less footage than the TV version? And maybe I'm wrong, but isn't this more common with really popular shows? Spiral wasn't that big, was it?
Old 2004-12-22, 17:18   Link #46
Emiri-san
Get Back, Funky Cat!

Send a message via AIM to Emiri-san
Eh.

I hope their is nothing wrong with it because I asked it for Christmas..eh.
However I have only seen one episode but I thought it was really good.
Old 2004-12-23, 03:39   Link #47
paraneo

hmm.. I didn't even know the Spiral DVDs were released yet, I guess I'll have to get them sometime since I never finished before it was licensed.
Old 2004-12-26, 18:47   Link #48
Fronzel
Schmuck

I DO still have the fansubs, and I didn't make it up! Maybe I'll post some screencaps somewhere or something.

The question is still there: how the hell did this happen?
Old 2004-12-26, 21:46   Link #49
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
I am familiar with this phenomenon, but would it have less footage than the TV version? And maybe I'm wrong, but isn't this more common with really popular shows? Spiral wasn't that big, was it?
Meh, it doesn't seem to have that much to do with the show's popularity. Nowadays plenty of anime, both popular and otherwise, have major or minor clean-ups for DVD.

The only case of "missing" footage in a DVD release I can think of is the R1 release of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, which like the Japanese DVDs used the official opening CG animation from the very beginning. IIRC, the TV broadcast of SAC initially had a temporary, 2-D OP. The temporary openings weren't included as extras or anything.
Old 2004-12-29, 00:58   Link #50
Fronzel
Schmuck

Interesting.

I want my damn Spiral prolouge.
Old 2006-01-05, 18:42   Link #51
Laxe

Where is our Spiral??

Ok, I was looking through my old fansub cd's when I found the first 20 episodes of Spiral which I'd downloaded way back in 2002! After trying to seach for the dvds I discovered that Funimation had ONLY JUST started releasing the series! What's up with that?? I was hoping to just buy them all in one go but the powers that be certainly took their time to release this series!

I hope I'm not the only one who's peeved off by this...it was an amazing series!
Old 2006-01-05, 18:58   Link #52
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxe
Ok, I was looking through my old fansub cd's when I found the first 20 episodes of Spiral which I'd downloaded way back in 2002! After trying to seach for the dvds I discovered that Funimation had ONLY JUST started releasing the series! What's up with that?? I was hoping to just buy them all in one go but the powers that be certainly took their time to release this series!

I hope I'm not the only one who's peeved off by this...it was an amazing series!
What are you talking about, all the Spiral DVDs have been released since last August.

Here's a list of all 6 DVDs available at DVDPacific

11/16/2004 Spiral, Vol. 1: What Are The Blade Children?
01/11/2005 Spiral, Vol. 2: Disarming Fate
03/01/2005 Spiral, Vol. 3: Shooting Fallen Stars
04/26/2005 Spiral, Vol. 4: Sharpening Wit
06/21/2005 Spiral, Vol. 5: Melody Of Logic
08/16/2005 Spiral, Vol. 6: Notes Of Truth
Old 2006-01-05, 19:11   Link #53
Laxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
What are you talking about, all the Spiral DVDs have been released since last August.

Here's a list of all 6 DVDs available at DVDPacific

11/16/2004 Spiral, Vol. 1: What Are The Blade Children?
01/11/2005 Spiral, Vol. 2: Disarming Fate
03/01/2005 Spiral, Vol. 3: Shooting Fallen Stars
04/26/2005 Spiral, Vol. 4: Sharpening Wit
06/21/2005 Spiral, Vol. 5: Melody Of Logic
08/16/2005 Spiral, Vol. 6: Notes Of Truth
Hmmm, it would appear I need to get some sleep...for some reason I'd lost a year and thought we are in 2005! Bah! Still Region 1 dvds though!
Old 2006-02-13, 17:24   Link #54
KoroshiyaX
X

Here's a few shocker spoilers from manga...

Be warned.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-02-16, 17:55   Link #55
Nayuki
Primula Who?

How about a series just about Rio?
Old 2006-02-17, 07:01   Link #56
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

are u serious KoroshiyaX? is that BS u made up or is it really from the manga.

now u told me what the blade children are and now i feel like ive been soiled ;___;
Old 2006-02-17, 09:16   Link #57
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit
are u serious KoroshiyaX? is that BS u made up or is it really from the manga.

now u told me what the blade children are and now i feel like ive been soiled ;___;
The only thing he said that I'm not sure about is
Spoiler:
I ordered volume 15 and it'll be here in a few days, so I'll find out soon.
Old 2006-02-20, 16:17   Link #58
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Spoiler for Manga Volume 15:
Old 2006-02-25, 01:27   Link #59
KoroshiyaX
X

Told ya ^_~
Old 2006-02-25, 06:35   Link #60
WabukiSensei
Chillin out

It's been over three years since I watched the anime and I was thoroughly disappointed by how it ended, but now you tell me that the manga (which I haven't read) is almost finished too? Please, tell me how it ends!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, shounen