Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-25, 18:33   Link #1
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Some good o' shounen/RPG/adventure

For the love of God, anime nowadays are sooooooooooooo boring...(excuse my initial ranting here for a little bit). If it isn't romance, it is moe and if it isn't moe it is sloppy and weak storytelling...and at times it is all three of them combined together (ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!).

I've also noticed that for the past year or two I haven't had much in terms of the adventure/action genre like in the past (back in the early 2000s) which has recently become oh so nostalgic to me because of the overdose of moe, moe and more moe...OMG!!! >.>

So things I am looking for:

Adventure! (a travelling storyline would be good)
Action! (epic fights)
No weak punk ass male leads thankyou (I want a lead that WILL go ORE SAMA like every second)
A decent story is also welcomed.
Having mech is a plus!

As for examples of what I want...hmm...lets say something like Scryed, Getbackers, Fafner, GTO, gurren lagann etc

(And no, don't bother recommending naruto, bleach or one piece!)

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2010-08-25, 19:05   Link #2
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Utawarerumono (Action, Adventure) (The male lead "Hakuoro" gets elected as leader of an entire army, and goes to war with all sorts of nations.. Now is that weak? Well there is some romance here...)

Darker Than Black (Action, Adventure) (The male lead "Hei" is not even close to being a weak person, he just ultimately dominates in season 1, but you might get bored in season 2 by the way you say things) (Hei is like the Electric Flying Batman)

Full Metal Panic! (Action, Adventure, Mechs) (The male lead "Sousuke" is not even close to being weak, he is really a military geek in the eyes of the students. But is pretty awesome around fighting situations. Romance is involved in this also)
Old 2010-08-25, 19:12   Link #3
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

I've also forgot to mention that I have watched a whole lifetime's worth of anime in a few years so chances are if it is too famous, I've already seen it. So to Hooves, I've seen all of your recommendations already ^^

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Old 2010-08-25, 19:16   Link #4
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
I've also forgot to mention that I have watched a whole lifetime's worth of anime in a few years so chances are if it is too famous, I've already seen it. So to Hooves, I've seen all of your recommendations already ^^
Then that means I'll just have to find something else

Or someone else will find one for you before me. You should have mentioned that earlier
Old 2010-08-25, 21:19   Link #5
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Hrmmmm, you're a tough customer Deathie (especially difficult since this isn't really my genre).
  • Katangatari--Currently airing. While I love this show, the downside is that there's only an episode out a month. It started airing in January...so it won't be done till December.
  • Samurai 7--If you like Akira Kurosawa, you may find this show interesting. I'm still watching it, but it's been fun seeing the similarities/differences with the original film. I am slightly irritated by the occasional poorly drawn episode, as well as occasional slow sections.
  • Allison to Lillia--Good ol' adventure story that has 2 arcs. Time period is roughly in the 30s (considering the aircraft used). Not such strong "ORE SAMA" male leads, but they are respectable.

Some you've prolly already seen but I'll recommend just in case:
  • Trigun
  • Soul Eater (I'm not really into this, but it has the typical shounen shtuff)
  • Durarara!!
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
  • Gintama
  • Hajime no Ippo
  • History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Old 2010-08-25, 21:55   Link #6
Falkor

I can think of some manga that may fit your criteria, though I wonder if you want to read manga...
Old 2010-08-26, 08:00   Link #7
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
Hrmmmm, you're a tough customer Deathie (especially difficult since this isn't really my genre).
[*]Allison to Lillia--Good ol' adventure story that has 2 arcs. Time period is roughly in the 30s (considering the aircraft used). Not such strong "ORE SAMA" male leads, but they are respectable.[/list]
Seen all three but I seriously can't believe you are recommending me this one
I found it to be one of the biggest snooze fest :/

XD

Quote:
Some you've prolly already seen but I'll recommend just in case:
  • Trigun
Ah this!! I must get around to watching this one, thanks for reminding me

As for the rest, I've seen or are uninterested (ie hajime no ippo >.>).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
I can think of some manga that may fit your criteria, though I wonder if you want to read manga...
I do read manga

Old 2010-08-26, 08:10   Link #8
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Epic action adventure lists are incomplete without Escaflowne.
Old 2010-08-26, 08:12   Link #9
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

It's hard to recommend anything without you actually posting any sort of list of what you've actually seen. Well known animes sure, but I don't know what else you've seen. Maybe if I go enough years back?

Akira
Beserk
Outlaw Star
Old 2010-08-26, 09:40   Link #10
Patch&Quilt

Berserk
Basilisk
Ninku
Gungrave
Old 2010-08-26, 10:04   Link #11
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post

Outlaw Star
I give huge second to this if Deathkillz hasn't seen it somehow.

Also probably saw it last year, but I'll mention it anyways Canaan though it has a female lead does have a lot of action and adventure. I was thinking to mention Needless too then I noticed your avatar .
MAL
Old 2010-08-26, 10:45   Link #12
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I will second Canaan.
Old 2010-08-26, 11:12   Link #13
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Seen Canaan (and it was a disappointment for me sadly :/)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Epic action adventure lists are incomplete without Escaflowne.
Added

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Maybe if I go enough years back?

Akira
Beserk
Outlaw Star
I think that is the whole point I'm trying to make. I need some of the good "ye olde" titles which I've happened to miss

Added all three

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch&Quilt View Post
Ninku
Gungrave
And some more!

Thanks guys, I think this will last me quite some time before I need to dig this place up again

Old 2010-08-26, 11:16   Link #14
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Hokuto no Ken
Tekkaman Blade
Soul Taker
Old 2010-08-26, 15:08   Link #15
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Guin Saga might be for you.
Old 2010-08-26, 16:31   Link #16
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Tekkaman Blade
One of the greatest shows ever created, so yes i'll be seconding this.
Old 2010-08-26, 18:04   Link #17
Falkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
I do read manga
oh ok, though I get the feeling you might be already reading some of these.

Vinland Saga
(thread at AS). bad ass main character. epic fights. plenty of action. nice story/storyline about vikings! you should definitely check this one out if you haven't already.

Ubel Blatt
(thread at AS). bad ass main character. story is a bit convoluted, especially at the beginning, but if you are only looking for action/adventure/fighting you will find plenty.

Witch Hunter
(thread at AS). bad ass main character. interesting artwork. story is about Witch Hunters vs. Witches---a bit convoluted, though. but plenty of action/adventure.

Rappi Rangai
(thread at AS). plenty of action. good humor. nice story. though the main character may not be to your liking.

Break Blade
(thread at AS). I think you had probably watched the anime, but it doesn't hurt to recommend the manga. nice story, nice characters, plenty of action + mecha.

1/2 Prince
. (thread at AS) This is probably the one that comes the closest to the shounen/rpg thing you are looking for. the manga contains different elements you would associate to online gaming (mmorpg). plenty of action as well. (oh and there's Sword of Art Online, if you are interested in light novels---currently translated at B-T)

Superior (thread at AS). action/adventure with an interesting plot. has humor, interesting characters, plenty of action as well.

Breath of Fire IV
(B-U Link). lol. not sure why I'm recommending this. it comes straight from an rpg. gorgeous artwork, likable characters, good story.

Fairy Tail
(thread at AS). I get the feeling you might be already familiar with this thanks to the anime. but I think the manga tells the same story much better.

Karneval
(B-U Link). plenty of action. nice characters. slightly reminded me of Pandora Hearts.

Negima
. the latter chapters have all the epic action/fighting/adventure you want.

One Piece
. I know you said not to recommend this, but the manga contains all the epic action/fighting/adventure you may be looking for. I haven't watched the anime, though.
Old 2010-08-26, 22:17   Link #18
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

I'll 2nd Vinland Saga, Witch Hunter, Break Blade, 1/2 Prince and Fairy Tail. The rest I either think are kinda meh or for the love of me think for some reason wouldn't suit what your looking for but either way are pretty good none the less(thats just my odd way of thinking)

May want to try out ID(which btw is my favorite manhwa), theres def alot to it and well the main character is bad ass but in a slightly different way compared to what you usually get

eh not sure I should recommend it but maybe Deus Ex Machina, pretty awesome series but there is only the 11 chapters scanned and it's been like forever since the last one so it would be a pretty short read.

Also kinda not sure if i should mention Kurohime either but thats a real fav of mine so I'll go ahead anyway.

Anime is lot tougher to recomend stuff as there is alot fewer stuff there compared to manga but off the top of my head maybe Shukufuku no Campanella?

It surprisely has adventure....of sorts.
It also has (some) action, not in the epic shounen way but it's actually pretty good.
It doesn't have weak punk ass lead altho he isn't quite GAR like either expect in the regards of his hidden harem gathering ability that is off the charts!
It does have a somewhat decent story....yea ok maybe more decent slice of whatever world it is but not bad in anyway.
It does have a robot...of sorts...yea ok it's a funny golem type thing that is slave to 2 very cute twins

....ok so it's not what your looking for really but I had to try

You have seen Sengoku Basara right?
can't mind if I saw you in there or not.

p.s I just remembered you have seen the Break Blade anime so if you haven't already I would actually recommend against reading the manga. Altho in respect both manga and anime are abit slow in releases, I think it would be best not to spoil the story there.
Old 2010-08-27, 19:13   Link #19
Owl.Duke

The Legend of the Legendary Heroes, Still Airing and the male lead is a badass, definitely fits all of your criteria except for mecha.
Old 2010-08-28, 02:04   Link #20
Boduar

Kiba and Tower of Druaga (sp?) are good anime.

For manga I would also recommend Eureka if your fine with the MMORPG-style story.

Edit: I have to imagine you have already read it but Hareluya II Boy (possibly Hareluya Boy II) is also good for action. Its actually pretty funny because he refers to himself as Ore-sama.
Closed Thread