AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2006-07-10, 13:21   Link #901
^Aya^
Makkuro kurosuke

Send a message via ICQ to ^Aya^ Send a message via MSN to ^Aya^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
..yet just because of one incident..
Sorry to disappoint you but that was not the first time he did something like that (i have seen the images on a local tv, try searching on the web) Now he did it on the world cup final and on his last match, it's pretty well.. dumb.. so it's not so strage to see his fans ashamed
^Aya^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 13:43   Link #902
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Please people, do not post potentially inflammatory imagery to this thread.

Yes, some of the "stuff" floating around currently is very funny. I find some of it humorous as well, but please leave it at the door when entering this thread. "Retort" images tend to spiral out of control in fast moving flame wars and we really don't need that. Humans, especially young men are extremely visual by nature and can become quite excitable with visually stimulated. Please don’t fuel the simmering feelings of angst.

If you enjoy razzing or taunting people visually, I suggest you join me at Fark.com. It's allowed and even encouraged to a degree.

Thanks for your understanding. Cheers.

PS. No, I'm not French. I'm an American, but my nationality never factors into my Mod decisions around here. If it did, I would have long ago change the title of this thread to The Official Soccer Thread.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 14:15   Link #903
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I heard the Italian said something about his mother (who's very ill, maybe dying.) Zidane also lost some kind of father figure a few months ago.

And I don't see why it'd disgrace his carreer. Wasn't he always the generally-mild-but-with-an-explosive-temper type?

(Still, I wish he'd waited until after the game. Then he could have kicked the other guy in the nuts or whatever.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 16:04   Link #904
lemondude
"super lemon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
Amidst the argument, I just have to quote this.

Who the hell is Zizou you ask? He is none other than the footballer that you're trying to defend.

No hard feelings lemondude, but this is just too ridiculous that it's funny. And you call yourself a Zidane admirer? How on BLOODY EARTH can you ask such a silly question? It's like asking who's Posh Becks or something like that.

Anyway, this was really a rare outburst of rage from Zidane. It's really a shame to see him go, but no matter what vile insults Materazzi may have said to Zidane, there was totally no excuse for him to go headbutt Materazzi in his last game, which he knows very well.

He can at least wait a few days then beat the crap out of him, or hire some hitman, but not during the match itself. Really a great pity, but I can't condone what Zizou's done. But in the end, he is still one of the greatest footballers of all time, nothing can take that away from him.
I'm chinese, spend most of my time on chinese sites, ocationally on English, thus don't know the word Zizou.
lemondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 16:45   Link #905
AnimeFangirl

The real question is, why did Zidane stop at just a headbutt? He must have known he would be sent off and he's supposedly retiring soon so why not give him a royal asskicking? I'm not condoning what Zidane did, I think it was the stupidest thing any footballer could possibly have done (wouldn't be surprised if he did it on purpose, but that's another issue altogether), but as the saying goes "Might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb." If you've gotta do it, go the whole hog!
Old 2006-07-10, 17:19   Link #906
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh
And I don't see why it'd disgrace his carreer.
Me neither, the headbutt was beautifully executed and it managed
to knock down Materazzi plus none of the referees had actually witness it ^^.

Reminded me a bit at that incident, where cantona lauchned a kick
at a crystal palast fan. Maybe because both are french.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 18:39   Link #907
lemondude
"super lemon"

he didn't disgrace it, he made it more colorful.

I can see the headlines now: Zidane the man the headbutted Mattarizz fifty meters.

And the next best thing to the hand of god is the head of Zizou.
lemondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 19:01   Link #908
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
The real question is, why did Zidane stop at just a headbutt? He must have known he would be sent off and he's supposedly retiring soon so why not give him a royal asskicking?
Because he tried to get away with it, he did it behind the ref's back and was hoping the linesman hadn't noticed. Plus, Materazzi is not exactly someone you can beat up easily.

Such a sweet victory and I am having such a great day reading comments on different forums from all kinds of Zidane fanboys trying to justify his actions. Yes, I know it's a guilty pleasure, I can't help it.

If it was the other way round - Materazzi hitting Zidane, few people would bother to find justifications. But now - "Oh, God, Materazzi must have said something racist, let's just forget that Zidane has a history of going insane for a moment and being sent off.". Talk about jumping to conclusions...

Oh well, Materazzi has the World Cup, so I guess he can bear the media idiocy. If it is proved he said something really bad - by all means, punish him in some way.Just make sure to punish every other trash talker out there too - let's say about half of the world footballers.

Last edited by Matrim; 2006-07-10 at 19:37.
Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 21:11   Link #909
evil-samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides
Me neither, the headbutt was beautifully executed and it managed
to knock down Materazzi plus none of the referees had actually witness it ^^.
Yep it sure was 'beautifully executed' well I dont know what Materazzi said, but he must of said something... the headbut was funny, and though it looked bad.. to me what Zizou did wasn't that bad of thing to do, what annoys me more is player *faking* and *acting* during the time of play. It was a stupid thing to do and not good for the team :/ plus it was his final match and to go out like that :/ so in a way it sucked to see Zizou do it :/ and mabye if it was early in the match i would think a little different about it. Still...

A headbut to someone that pissing you off, its normal. well not normal in a soccer match and its certainly not something everyone would but
taking thing to a physical level if they really! pissed you off in a certain way and you are the type to get annoyed is understandable. He knew it wasn't going to injure Materazzi doing it (i think ) and he wasn't trying to 'cheat' in the game, so i cant hate him for it. I guess also because I watch other sports were fights break out off the play.. that it seems human to do such a thing.

Not that interested in what people say Materazzi said.. only when it comes from a few of the players will I listen. Still whatever Materazzi and anyone says still I love Zizou just as much for that headbut or mabye even more =)

Last edited by evil-samurai; 2006-07-11 at 00:06.
evil-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-11, 05:13   Link #910
ccardoso
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
If it was the other way round - Materazzi hitting Zidane, few people would bother to find justifications. But now - "Oh, God, Materazzi must have said something racist, let's just forget that Zidane has a history of going insane for a moment and being sent off.". Talk about jumping to conclusions...
You can be sure of it... I mean average Frenchs think of having a superior culture, to be the leading country in Europe and other similiar (idiotic) things so they just simply can't accept that one of their stars was wrong, that committed a criminal act because and headbutt there can be fatal. No they try to assolve him in evrey way possible: in fact they're trying to give Matterazzi all the fault about what happened saying he said something racist to Zidane and so on, without knowing what happened between those two at all. Why? Well because Italians, for average Frenchs, are rude, thieves, ignorant and so on and so how can be that their star Zizou is at fault this time? Nooo it cannot be.
While it's obvious there are unpleasant people here in Italy, like evreywhere in the world (France included), we Italians have the courage to criticize our best champions if they do something wrong, like we did with Totti some time ago.
Anyway I have to thank sincerely average Frenchs and Germans: their offenses helped the re-born of a national feeling among us Italians and a dramatic reduction in Germans and Frenchs reputation over here. The truth is that the problems are evreywhere: in Italy like in French... where there are lots of "cultured people" and in the suburbs lots of black people poor and starving.

Bye bye from Italy
ccardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-11, 06:24   Link #911
Loniat
Paranoid Android

Well, I have some time so here are some comments on the WC.

This is probably one of the poorest WC that I've seen. No offense to French or Italians, but both teams don't have (at this time) what it takes to call themselves champions of the world. Just check how they went forward in the competition. Sad, sad....

The other big bucks that were a let down were Brazil, Germany and England. Brazil playing with France was a joke, Roberto Carlos was adjusting his freaking socks while Henry passed by him and scored. No one didn't do anything, the so called best player in the world didn't score once in the competition, and Ronaldo after hitting the all time biggest scorer position in WCs just relaxed.
England? With my countryman Sven as coach, they were bound to lose I think. But not like that..
Germany?? What happened to Germany? Oh, yeah, they are good hosts and let other people win...but I was expecting more from Germany...

And for those in here discussing Zidane, Italy and related prejudices, sometime ago some people here were raving how nice was to have European-only countries in a final. Is that what we have to show to the rest of the world?

/end of rant
Loniat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-11, 06:52   Link #912
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Such a sweet victory and I am having such a great day reading comments on different forums from all kinds of Zidane fanboys trying to justify his actions. Yes, I know it's a guilty pleasure, I can't help it.

It is only misconception, or is it? In the current conditions of the world, which one seems more possible to you a Muslim-Algerian origined person using racist remarks against a Christian Western person, or the other way around? By the way, I do not approve neither actions (the bad words Materazzi used and Zidane's answer to it), and I do not see any way the bad words will be punished cause it is a part of the game, which is generally played by not very well educated people.

But, what made me laugh, if it is correct of course, Materazzi's comments regarding the incident, saying that [after the claims that he called Zidane a terrorist (or according to a British mouth reader, using this word for his mother)] he doesn't even know the meaning of the word Islamic terrorist/terrorism. Now, that is a comment deserving a great laugh, maybe in a "laughing to the pitiful state" kind of way.

PS: Zidane shouldn't have been awarded the Golden Ball mainly because of the incident, but it seems that many people have chosen to ignore it.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-11, 09:08   Link #913
Matrim

Quote:
In the current conditions of the world, which one seems more possible to you a Muslim-Algerian origined person using racist remarks against a Christian Western person, or the other way around?
I wasn't referring only to racist remarks, I meant that if it was the other way round few people would even bother to investigate what Zidane might have said or done and would have just been happy Materazzi has been sent off. Because Materazzi's best known for his reckless fouls whiel Zidane is a media darling. BTW, I think Zidane is not Muslim, not that this should matter much.

Old 2006-07-11, 09:25   Link #914
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
I wasn't referring only to racist remarks, I meant that if it was the other way round few people would even bother to investigate what Zidane might have said or done and would have just been happy Materazzi has been sent off. Because Materazzi's best known for his reckless fouls whiel Zidane is a media darling. BTW, I think Zidane is not Muslim, not that this should matter much.
If Materazzi had done the same thing, the discussions might be much more limited compared to Zidane's case. I agree on that. Also, if this had happened at the beginning of the tournament, the discussions might also be much more limited. This is a result of Zidane being a much bigger name around the globe (both in good way and bad way). But, any player at his level (being the brain of his team, being considered as, maybe, the best in the most recent tournament, being a key player in the two previous championships, playing the last game of his career, etc.) would receive similar level of interest if similar kind of thing would have happened in a highly critical game.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-11, 10:51   Link #915
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Aya^
Sorry to disappoint you but that was not the first time he did something like that (i have seen the images on a local tv, try searching on the web) Now he did it on the world cup final and on his last match, it's pretty well.. dumb.. so it's not so strage to see his fans ashamed
Yes, I know its not the first time he has reacted like this (nor do I think it will be the last), sorry, but I meant "that one incident" in the current sense; being the one incident that people are all talking about. I was ranting about people who one day before were declaring praises for Zizou, and the next after that one incident turn around and declare him a disgrace.

In fact, the general knowlegde that he is so volatile makes their reactions even more incredulous. Hence my: "Come on, thats Zizou! What do you expect??" line.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-11, 14:22   Link #916
◕‿‿◕

Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
The thing is, Materazzi IS a racist scumbag. He's always been. While that doesn't justify what Zidane did and his red was deserved, people are looking for the reason for that kind of reaction.

Moreover, assuming Materazzi said nothing is still as much of an assumption as assuming he said something. And considering his track record as a cheat I know which one is safer.

To be honest, I'm sorry to say this to the italian fans, but although the red was fully deserved the team's reaction was disgraceful (and unfortunately hardly unusual). One player on the ground whining as if he'd been sniped with the rest of the team complaining to the ref.
I'm sometimes even disgusted at my own team's behaviour with the diving and whining, too. I think it ruins football.

Anyway, I'm not too bothered by Italy winning the cup so long as this doesn't affect the corruption case. But daddy Silvio always has an ace up his sleeve to save Milan so god knows...
Old 2006-07-11, 14:26   Link #917
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin
Maybe Zidane did this on purpose.

Bullshit. I just found out what that italian guy said to zidane... and all i have to say is GOOD JOB ZIDANE. Should of knocked the shit out of that guy some more. I can't believe their are still racist people in such a large event like the world cup.
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-11, 14:32   Link #918
AnimeFangirl

Apparently provoking one's opponent is all part of the game in Italy and indeed all over Europe: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...06/5168622.stm

Quote:
But how common are the wind-up tactics deployed by Materazzi which sparked such a devastating reaction from Zidane?

According to former England and AC Milan striker Mark Hateley, they are seen as a fundamental and legitimate way of gaining an advantage.

"In Italy, it's part and parcel of the game and a basic way of trying to get one over your opposite number," Hateley told BBC Sport.

"That sort of things goes on all the time. It's non-stop with the defenders, especially. They pinch you, try to annoy you by telling you you are playing really badly. I've even known spitting.

"They try and get a reaction from you, it's always been like that and it always will be."

Italians refer to this sort of behaviour on the football field as "furbo", which means cunning or savvy.
Old 2006-07-11, 18:10   Link #919
Matrim

Quote:
The thing is, Materazzi IS a racist scumbag. He's always been.
You say that because you know him personally or...? Materazzi is a thug who has a reputation for trying to injure opponents, no doubt. But calling him a racist without proof is just plain wrong. He might be a racist, he might not be. I don't know and I really dount you know either. I can just as well claim Zidane is a racist.

Quote:
To be honest, I'm sorry to say this to the italian fans, but although the red was fully deserved the team's reaction was disgraceful (and unfortunately hardly unusual). One player on the ground whining as if he'd been sniped with the rest of the team complaining to the ref.
Find me a team that has players who wouldn't complain to the ref when an opposition player hits one of their teammates. Good luck searching, it might take a while. If I am a player, I would complain, too.

Quote:
Apparently provoking one's opponent is all part of the game in Italy and indeed all over Europe:
I think trash talk and similar dirty tricks are common in a lot of sports. Not that this makes it excusable, but let's not single out Materazzi, the Italians or whoever.

Old 2006-07-11, 19:04   Link #920
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

The problem with trashtalking in soccer is that the refs and FIFA try to make it be a completely whitewashed sport. Oh no, a guy fell down because of contact! FOUL!!!! OMG, a guy fell down because Zidane gave him a headbutt! RED CARD!!! WAAAAAAAH!!! CLEAN UP YOUR ACTS, WE ARE ALL LOVE AND HUGS PEOPLE!

I mean for the most part, soccer has EXTREME amounts of sportsmanship, with opposing players picking each other up after unintentional fouls, smiles, hugs and handshakes, and just about all of the best gestures you can see in sports that make American sports look like the lowest of trash in comparison.

The problem with soccer is that there will always be those few scumbags that ruin it for everyone else. Christiano Ronaldo, the whiny diving bitch, and Matterazzi, that racist insulting asshole that can drive any player so insane that they lose their tempers. The worst thing was, though, that Zidane has a HUGE history of being on a short fuse with a very fiery temper. In 1998, he STOMPED on the back of a saudi player. In 2000, he headbutted a german player in some world championship or something, and now he decks Matterazzi.

Though in such an otherwise clean game, those who would resort to insults and other dirty tricks to get the best of their opponents should be banned from the game since they ruin so much of its spirit. And heck, even after that headbutt, I don't think of Zidane as any less of a guy. He's a genius with the ball, and a generally genuine-seeming guy without it, being extremely upstanding in all situations in this world cup except this one.

Though IMHO the rules of soccer need to have a little slackening to prevent divers drawing fouls. If the ball is played, even if the guy gets decked, there needs to be no foul. The only time there should be a foul is if the man simply gets decked, but the ball is missed. So tactical fouls would still be called, but as for diving, no thx.

Too bad there can't be divecams 1000 or something...so that if a player dove intentionally, he'd get a yellow for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Tags
football, soccer