Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-23, 17:03   Link #1
Gaia
ROW! ROW! FIGHT DA POWAH!
*Graphic Designer

Serious Anime

Heyho,
I'm currently looking for anime series, with a serious story. Well, there are many of those, so I go some steps deeper.
Firstly, it shouldn't be a series for kids, so I'd appreciate anime for "16 years and upwards"-warchers.
Some series, I really enjoy, are: Elfenlied, MONSTER, Higurashi, GANTZ, Rurouni Kenshin Tsuiokuhen/Seisouhen, Saikano, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Shingetsutan Tsukihime, Fate/stay night, NOIR, MADLAX, Death Note... You might get, what type of anime is meant. I small genre-list:

Moe [X] (even if it is no official genre)
Mystery [X]
Horror [X]
Drama [X]
Romance [X]

Violence is okay, psychotic characters too, but not continuously. A good soundtrack is also desired.
The combination of those genres is more important, than the genres itself. I'd also appreciate, if the series has an "after-effect" on my mood. That's, what makes a series special, imo.

Aesir

Last edited by Gaia; 2006-10-23 at 17:25.
Old 2006-10-23, 17:29   Link #2
ImClueless
Rawr

Ill recommend Koi Kaze. Some people like it, some people are disgusted by it. Whatever your opinion, it is definitely a serious romance anime that will leave you thinking. Not for close minded sanctimonious jerks who pass judgments on others.

I'll also recommend Honey and Clover seasons 1/2 in the romance/drama category.

Last edited by ImClueless; 2006-10-23 at 17:38. Reason: Some more recommendations
Old 2006-10-23, 18:14   Link #3
DoReMiFaSo
Samba!!

You may want to try Red Garden. It's a new series this season, only a few episodes are out so far, and it's mystery/horror. It has a nice soundtrack, and it fits your requirement of having an "after-effect" on your mind. You can actually "feel" the fear of the protagonists, because of the atmosphere and the wonderful performance from the seiyuus. People compare this to Gantz. Seeing that you like Gantz, you may want to give this a try. The main problem people have with this series is that they get turned off by the character designs. They are very unique and not everyone can accept them.

Asatte no Houkou is another series this season that I recommend. I guess you can say it's drama with some romance in it. Again, the atmosphere in this series is amazing, but of course it's totally different from Red Garden. The soundtrack is also quite fitting to the series.

If you like Death Note, you may want to try Code Geass this season. The main protagonist feels like Light in Death Note. It's mecha, so don't know if you like it or not.

Simoun is another great one that just finished. You get this feeling that you can't express after you watched it and it makes you think a lot. Some may be put off by the yuri elements in it. But if you are okay with it, you should give it a try. The OST is especially excellent. Even if you hate the series, you should get the OSTs.

As for older series, I would recommend Twelve Kingdoms if you haven't watched it yet. It's fantasy, and the character developments in this show is the best out of all the anime I have watched so far.

Some other ones I can think of off the top of my head are the Seikai no Monshou series, RahXephon, and Witch Hunter Robin.
Old 2006-10-23, 18:17   Link #4
Gaia
ROW! ROW! FIGHT DA POWAH!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImClueless View Post
Ill recommend Koi Kaze. Some people like it, some people are disgusted by it. Whatever your opinion, it is definitely a serious romance anime that will leave you thinking. Not for close minded sanctimonious jerks who pass judgments on others.

I'll also recommend Honey and Clover seasons 1/2 in the romance/drama category.
The review Koi Kaze sounds good. I'll definitely try it. About Honey & Clover... well. I haven't watched the entire series, only the first couple of episodes, but it was a little boring. Could also be, that I wasn't able to enjoy it, because of stress or something. Happens quite often. I think, I'll rewatch it, since many people enjoyed it. Thanks for your suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoReMiFaSo View Post
You may want to try Red Garden. It's a new series this season, only a few episodes are out so far, and it's mystery/horror. It has a nice soundtrack, and it fits your requirement of having an "after-effect" on your mind. You can actually "feel" the fear of the protagonists, because of the atmosphere and the wonderful performance from the seiyuus. People compare this to Gantz. Seeing that you like Gantz, you may want to give this a try. The main problem people have with this series is that they get turned off by the character designs. They are very unique and not everyone can accept them.

Asatte no Houkou is another series this season that I recommend. I guess you can say it's drama with some romance in it. Again, the atmosphere in this series is amazing, but of course it's totally different from Red Garden. The soundtrack is also quite fitting to the series.

If you like Death Note, you may want to try Code Geass this season. The main protagonist feels like Light in Death Note. It's mecha, so don't know if you like it or not.

Simoun is another great one that just finished. You get this feeling that you can't express after you watched it and it makes you think a lot. Some may be put off by the yuri elements in it. But if you are okay with it, you should give it a try. The OST is especially excellent. Even if you hate the series, you should get the OSTs.

As for older series, I would recommend Twelve Kingdoms if you haven't watched it yet. It's fantasy, and the character developments in this show is the best out of all the anime I have watched so far.

Some other ones I can think of off the top of my head are the Seikai no Monshou series, RahXephon, and Witch Hunter Robin.
The first impression of Red Garden is strange. Maybe because of the picture on anidb, but I'll try it. It's a mistake, to leave something out, because of the first impression. *reminds*
Asatte no Houkou is now on my list, because it looks very good to me. I kinda enjoy this "big brother syndrome" combined with cuteness and a serious story.
Code Geass is already on my HDD, but I haven't watched it yet.
I've only listened to savage genius Simoun single so far, but completely missed the series. Anyway, the catchy OP makes it +1. *added*
I've already watched Witch Hunter Robin. I liked the gothic feeling and the darkness, in it and, not to forget, the good story.
About RahXephon... well, I know this series and it seems good, but I'm no mecha freak, that's why I missed it on purpose. I might give it a try, but not with first priority. Thanks for your sugesstions, it was a big help.

Edit: Forgot Juuni Kokuki. Yes, I've already watched it. This series is truly excellent.

Last edited by Gaia; 2006-10-23 at 18:35.
Old 2006-10-23, 18:55   Link #5
Scorch

Nana is a serious drama/romance series. It's about two girls named Nana and the friendship they form, and all of the other people involved in their lives.

I also second the recommendation for Honey and Clover - it's worth trying again. It moves a bit slowly as it is admittedly introspective, but it left me with more of a lasting impression than almost any other show I've seen. Just don't be turned away by Hagu's appearance.
Old 2006-10-23, 19:07   Link #6
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

I second Red Garden and Asatte no Houkou, pretty much the only series that I can take seriously enough this season to actually stir any emotions in me. Simoun is a love it or hate it affair so you might give it a try to see in which category you fall in.

Planetes is a realistic sci-fi with extremely well developed and mostly mature characters. It's episodic at first but the plot thickens in its second half when things get deadly serious. It also has some romance between the main characters.

Paranoia Agent
is a very well crafted mystery/thriller with an interesting message and some nice plot twists.

Quote:
I'd also appreciate, if the series has an "after-effect" on my mood. That's, what makes a series special, imo.
Not sure what you mean but if you are looking for some emotionally powerful endings that really stay in your head and the feeling of joy or sadness or whatever just won't go, I'd recommend Haibane Renmei. I still get goosebumps just thinking about it. It has mature characters (despite their age), unforgettable atmoshpere (enhanced by a magnificent OST), a plot that's based on a mystery to an extent but that's not the focal point of the series since it's not really plot-driven.

Old 2006-10-23, 19:18   Link #7
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesir View Post
Moe [X] (even if it is no official genre)
Mystery [X]
Horror [X]
Drama [X]
Romance [X]
hmm sounds like higurashi no naku koro ni to me it has all of the above with only a tiny hint of romance...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-10-23, 19:31   Link #8
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Scratch this, i must be going blind

Last edited by Skyfall; 2006-10-23 at 19:52.
Old 2006-10-23, 19:35   Link #9
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

You know, you really should have read Aesir's first post more carefully, he lists Higurashi among his favourite series, so I'd venture that he has watched it.

Old 2006-10-24, 02:26   Link #10
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Are we talking 100% serious here, or are series with alternating moods allowed? Because that will make a huge difference.
Old 2006-10-24, 13:05   Link #11
Lord Faust

Send a message via MSN to Lord Faust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Not sure what you mean but if you are looking for some emotionally powerful endings that really stay in your head and the feeling of joy or sadness or whatever just won't go, I'd recommend Haibane Renmei. I still get goosebumps just thinking about it. It has mature characters (despite their age), unforgettable atmoshpere (enhanced by a magnificent OST), a plot that's based on a mystery to an extent but that's not the focal point of the series since it's not really plot-driven.
Holy Cow! I came in here wanting to recommend that too. Opinion seconded whole heartedly!

Aesir you might wanna check out Air TV. To be honest this is not really an adult only anime, but it has a serious story underneath the cute young girls starring the show. There are mysteries surrounding the lead characters. The anime its self is full of symbolism. Personally the show has an ' after effect ' on my mood. You might have to be pretty dense not to feel for the tribulations the characters go through. The only thing missing from the list of your criterias is horror. Did I also mention it has a great sound track, especially the OP?
Old 2006-10-24, 13:40   Link #12
Shounen
Away for good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Faust View Post
Holy Cow! I came in here wanting to recommend that too. Opinion seconded whole heartedly!

Aesir you might wanna check out Air TV. To be honest this is not really an adult only anime, but it has a serious story underneath the cute young girls starring the show. There are mysteries surrounding the lead characters. The anime its self is full of symbolism. Personally the show has an ' after effect ' on my mood. You might have to be pretty dense not to feel for the tribulations the characters go through. The only thing missing from the list of your criterias is horror. Did I also mention it has a great sound track, especially the OP?
The awnser is KEY and singer is Lia. Key's also responsible for Kanon 2k6 (and others). Well Key usually have serious series like AIR for example. Lots of drama and moe~. Try watching series like Shingetsutan Tsukihime for example, there you have an b-type class serious anime.
Old 2006-10-24, 13:49   Link #13
MamoruUsagi

The manga series Mars is 15 volumes. It's a very serious romance/drama series dealing with love, sex, dating, relationships, suicide, rape, secret pasts, stalkers, motorcycles and has a lot of drama. It's a really good and moving series that is serious.

The manga Ayashi no Ceres (manga only) is serious, has lots of romance and sex and drama and action. However, the anime cuts out a lot, so only read the manga.
Old 2006-10-24, 14:16   Link #14
Shounen
Away for good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesir View Post
I'm currently looking for anime series, with a serious story.
Anime, yay \o/
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamoruUsagi View Post
The manga series Mars is 15 volumes. It's a very serious romance/drama series dealing with love, sex, dating, relationships, suicide, rape, secret pasts, stalkers, motorcycles and has a lot of drama. It's a really good and moving series that is serious.

The manga Ayashi no Ceres (manga only) is serious, has lots of romance and sex and drama and action. However, the anime cuts out a lot, so only read the manga.
Manga? Let's stay ontopic by not caring for manga now -.^
Old 2006-10-24, 14:19   Link #15
MamoruUsagi

I thought we could recommend anime or manga. A lot of times when I mention anime, I mean anime and manga and vice versa.
Old 2006-10-25, 23:19   Link #16
Ptolemi
Banned

Elfen Lied
Mars manga
Old 2006-10-26, 04:58   Link #17
Mephisto2k
anime4life

GunGrave is one of the best serious anime ive seen so far. Its a drama about 2 friends growing up in a small poor criminally dominated town. After their friends got killed they join the local mafia called millenium and slowly make it into the upper ranks. They are still best friends but their interests are drifting away as one of them wants to become the new mafia boss. Its a story of hardship, with sad sidestories and story turns.This anime wont have a happy end, but that makes it all the better. The science fiction aspect thats later introduced to the show ( same as in the first episode as a preview) is a bit bothersome and unrealistic though, while its essential to the story.

other than that check out:
shingetsutan tsukihime, honey and clover1&2, and rahxephon.
all of those have serious and interesting themes and stories on their own ways.
Old 2006-10-26, 08:51   Link #18
jayj713

neon genesis evangelion?
Old 2006-10-26, 14:08   Link #19
gencbiba

I can only think of Blue Gender... Seems pretty damn serious to me..

Captain Tsubasa and Dai no Daibouken are being translated!! Check us out at http://www.hiei-tf.fr/frenchies-subs/. Stop on by and show us some love at the forums.
Closed Thread