AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Which do you think will be released first?
A Full Metal Panic sequel series/movie 17 85.00%
A Nadesico Sequel series/movie 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-01-07, 07:13   Link #1
Taufiq91

Is Nadesico & FMP sequels the "Duke Nukem Forever" of anime?

For 15 years, we've demanded a Nadesico sequel after the movie. A sequel was supposed to be made, but XEBEC says they can't another one along with a Stellvia sequel due to "Inner Difficulties", but i'm calling BS on that one. there is no way you can't make a sequel to Nadesico.

At the same time we've been demanding a FMP followup series for 5 years now. Although KyoAni's doing great with K-On and Haruhi, people are still demanding a FMP followup. Although there is currently hope according to http://www.japanator.com/full-metal-...ts-18093.phtml, i'm keeping my hopes up. But there are novels still unadapted, and i think KyoAni's feeling bad for not currently adapting them.

So, is Nadesico and FMP the Duke Nukem Forever of anime? Sequel productions without any announcements with a very long wait. And it's ironic since DNF is going to actually be released by the end of this year.
Old 2011-01-07, 07:38   Link #2
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

I thought it was Ai no Kusabi remake OVA deserved to be called as "Duke Nukem Forever of anime" but I think it may have been released. No, don't get me wrong and I hate it as much as everybody else but even yaoi fangirls themselves call it as "DNF of anime".
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 08:09   Link #3
raduccio

Many shows can be considered the "Duke Nukem Forever" of anime. Way too many to list here. I think there isn't a fan that's not waiting for somebody to make another season (or ova) of his favorite show without any official word on the matter.

There are too many in my case... including FMP!
raduccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 08:12   Link #4
brocko

I'd say no they aren't the DNF of anime. To say so would be a massive overexaggeration imo. There was never at any point in time an announcement or promise of a sequeal to the two respective shows.

KyoAni rarely overextends themselves and they've always had a lot line up on their plate, slowly churning out stuff at their own pace. As far as i know the novels have only just recently finished and there's been a lot of speculation that they were waiting for the novels to end since they wouldn't be able to do the next adaption correctly otherwise.

With regards to Nadesico, the producers made it pretty clear there won't be any more Nadesico after the movie. It's a damn shame the series had to suffer this way due to production hell, but that's the bottom line unfortunately enough.
Any Nadesico fans who havn't done so should go check out the Prince of Darkness thread since there's a whole treasure trove of information outside of the TV series and movies.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 09:31   Link #5
Taufiq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
With regards to Nadesico, the producers made it pretty clear there won't be any more Nadesico after the movie. It's a damn shame the series had to suffer this way due to production hell, but that's the bottom line unfortunately enough.
Any Nadesico fans who havn't done so should go check out the Prince of Darkness thread since there's a whole treasure trove of information outside of the TV series and movies.
And that's why i think Nadesico will return.

Look, somewhere in the office of XEBEC and it's father company Production IG, there's a file containing all the plannings and ideas of a new Nadesico series that got shelved. That file is currently being kept somewhere in some office room with no one ever taking a second look.

But the moment someone takes that file and looks at it, that will be the moment when Nadesico comes back. A simple look back into the past might bring it back to life, and that is all it needs for a series like Nadesico.

Also, you must remember that Nadesico is a franchise, and that anyone can barge in and buy it away from XEBEC. Infact, i think Nadesico is a franchise worth buying, and studios like Aniplex and JC Staff might be interested in getting their hands on something as valuable as Nadesico.
Old 2011-01-07, 09:46   Link #6
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Having seen the Prince of Darkness and compared it to the original Nadesico, I think it's probably a good thing the franchise hasn't continued on.
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 13:22   Link #7
Sister Princess
Easy Operation

Not this shit again.

At this rate, if FMP is animated again it will be either too long (need more than 1 year of broadcast) or filled with confusion and plot holes.

Again, even if Kyoto Animation want to do FMP, they can't do it without permission.
Sister Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 14:18   Link #8
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I was under the impression that with all the cliffhangers in FMP's later novels that even if KyoAni or anyone else wanted to produce it, they would have to wait until the final novel came out so to be able to pull off the arcs correctly.
Old 2011-01-07, 17:38   Link #9
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

Please no, and you wanna know why?

I played the first Duke Nuke 'Ems
They were great fun

Then to cash in on the hype of FPSs and the fanbase of DnE, they turned it into Friggin "Doom" Nuke 'Em
Which was nothing like the originals I loved

So the analogy of the OP may not be meant like I percieved it, but the risk is too great to make it come out the way I used mine
Old 2011-01-07, 22:33   Link #10
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

I like to see more Nadesico I can never get enough of Ruri
Old 2011-01-08, 13:04   Link #11
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

I haven't seen Nadesico so I can't comment on it.

I am also hopeful that Gatoh's blog points to more Full Metal Panic. Maybe he'll see if PA Works or Madhouse wants a shot at doing more Fumoffu. I would love to see KyoAni take more on their plate so they can have more production like Bones or JC Staff. But I know they like to do things slowly so 2011 is the year of Nichjou and the K-On movie for them. I'm crossing my fingers for a double shot for FMP and Haruhi for 2012, and I don't know if Kadokawa or KyoAni really cares what one American fan thinks.

I guess we may have to keep trying to get heard by Kadokawa and whatever studio Gatoh would trust with FMP(I know it won't be Gonzo) that we want more Full Metal Panic! and more Kaname and Sousuke and the rest.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 02:44   Link #12
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
I guess we may have to keep trying to get heard by Kadokawa and whatever studio Gatoh would trust with FMP(I know it won't be Gonzo)
Gatoh has a good relationship with Koichi Chigira (director of Season 1), so I doubt there was any hostility between him and the production crew. They worked together again on The Tower of Druaga, so the shift to KyoAni probably had more to do with scheduling - Gonzo had their hands full in 2003, and Chigira was directing Last Exile. In fact, the chief writer on Season 1 handled Fumoffu and TSR (the difference is that Gatoh now supervised the process and wrote some scripts himself instead of letting the anime writers do everything), so it isn't like Gatoh was angry at him.

Nevertheless, given Gonzo's financial issues, the big anime sponsors aren't keen on contracting them for anything.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 07:01   Link #13
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I was under the impression that with all the cliffhangers in FMP's later novels that even if KyoAni or anyone else wanted to produce it, they would have to wait until the final novel came out so to be able to pull off the arcs correctly.
The last novel was released last year (in August) and yes if they start to animate what comes after TSR then they can't stop and it's 5 or 6 novels worth of material to be animated.

But the FMP sequel is nothing like DNF, simply because nothing official or unofficial has never been said about a sequel.
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-18, 08:37   Link #14
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Im positive for an FMP sequel because I want to stay positive and not cry of losing hope after 5 years but if there something I want continued or renewed is the Negima series. The OADs don't help... the manga really is unjustified because the 2005 adaptation stopped when it was getting good. Negima? was just.... I don't think its getting anything though
Old 2011-01-19, 18:28   Link #15
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I say Taylor... that ending is just full of rage for me. For Nadesico I truly wishes there would be a sequel, but I think it would be better for me to stay in state of denial that POD never existed.
Old 2011-01-19, 18:50   Link #16
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I can list a dozen series that need/demand a sequel. That just doesn't seem to be standard ops for the anime industry.
Old 2011-01-19, 19:47   Link #17
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well consider that Space Battleship Yamato got a sequel after 26 years. (as oppose to a short spin off that it got after about 11 years)
Old 2011-01-20, 05:32   Link #18
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

If we're going by the "sequel announced long ago that have not been cancelled but whose development is unclear and may never be released" titles, then the only anime production I can pin that label on is the Gundam SEED movie, which was confirmed to be in production but it still in limbo after nearly 5 years. I wouldn't classify any FMP sequel as anything in the league of Duke Nukem Forever, given they have never officially announced a sequel to be in production in the first place.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 07:13   Link #19
antigone

they do not deserve the sequels anyway so i think its the rite move. better invest on something that nets more money. and more series are way more deserving than that two, like legend of legendary hero and lucky star.
antigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 03:59   Link #20
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antigone View Post
they do not deserve the sequels anyway so i think its the rite move. better invest on something that nets more money. and more series are way more deserving than that two, like legend of legendary hero and lucky star.
I'd rightfully disagree with that because FMP does deserve a sequel if we are basing it popularity wise. I do agree with you with a lucky star sequel .