AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-10-08, 02:39   Link #41
Ferp

Watched the first episode but seen the OVA already. I'll wait till episode 3. Excited for this show.
Ferp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 03:11   Link #42
seiftis
~defying fate

I just hope they can tone down the sudden comedic moments in the series, it just ruined the overall feeling when i watch the show.
Old 2016-10-08, 03:11   Link #43
Applehell

So now we get to see what Hirano's version of an Isekai story is like.

They really did a good job capturing the feel and adhering to Hirano's style here. It's like watching an animted verison of his art himself rather than another character designer just imitating it.

Comedy was pretty hit and miss overall, but I did work better in the later half of the episode where Toyohisa and others relating their personal histories to each other. Actually that was probably my favorite part of the episode, though I don't how much one get out of that scene without some familiarity with Japanese history.

Oh and while I haven't read the manga in years, I don't remember the beginning scene with Toyohisa's battle being so long...
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 04:04   Link #44
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Everyone is disliking the comedy and I'm here like "bro, do you even Hellsing?".

I mean, it's a very recognisable pattern for this author. Somewhat awkward if one wants but I guess for me the worst bit of it is that the art completely degrades to Flash chibi animation. I don't mind a bit of deformed art but this way it seems a bit excessive. But if it saves them money for more of that combat goodness, go ahead.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 04:08   Link #45
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Everyone is disliking the comedy and I'm here like "bro, do you even Hellsing?".
Yeah, I see how the comedy would be awkward to people, but frankly this kind of thing was my favorite part of Hellsing, so I absolutely don't mind it here. As far as I'm concerned the less the show takes itself seriously the better, the manga is certainly not some kind of grimdark srs bzns.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 04:26   Link #46
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Just to cosign on the comedy bit, if you'd going to be turned off by out of nowhere humor mixed in with your seriousness and gore, you've got two choices: get over it or move along. It's a Kouta Hirano staple, that anyone remotely familiar with Hellsing should already be aware of and expecting. And unlike other authors who may do it out of inexperience or misguided attempts at humor, there's usually a reason for it. Here, it was clearly to break the mood and keep it from getting too serious, both in-episode (Yoichi making them pluck ducks to keep them from killing each other) and meta (Hirano's style for tension is either cerebral or horrific, rather than the more artificial, if simpler to implement, "angst for angst's sake" kind of tension).
Old 2016-10-08, 05:41   Link #47
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Also if you think about it the subject of that scene IS pretty funny - dude 'dies' thinking his legacy will outlast him, everything he built has gone to shit in a mere 18 years. Funny and sad, but hey, that's the human condition for you. I see it as an acknowledgement of that when you actually look at it and laugh.

Anyway, just going to leave this here (too bad it has no subtitles):

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 06:57   Link #48
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Just to cosign on the comedy bit, if you'd going to be turned off by out of nowhere humor mixed in with your seriousness and gore, you've got two choices: get over it or move along. It's a Kouta Hirano staple, that anyone remotely familiar with Hellsing should already be aware of and expecting. And unlike other authors who may do it out of inexperience or misguided attempts at humor, there's usually a reason for it. Here, it was clearly to break the mood and keep it from getting too serious, both in-episode (Yoichi making them pluck ducks to keep them from killing each other) and meta (Hirano's style for tension is either cerebral or horrific, rather than the more artificial, if simpler to implement, "angst for angst's sake" kind of tension).
Have no problem with humor being used to lighten moods nor do I care if this goes all serious or not. I just didn't find the skrit itself very funny. I did mentioned that humor in the 2nd half was better for me though, probably owning to the fact it related to Toyohisa, Oda and Yoichi's historical pasts.
Old 2016-10-08, 08:09   Link #49
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Episode 1:
Well, it's the first time I've watched a Kouta Hirano show. On the other hand, the plot isn't established yet after Toyohisa Shimazu transported to another world and met Nobunaga Oda and Nasu no Yoichi.

Maybe in the next episode, there would be some significant development!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 08:29   Link #50
crafty_bernardo

Know nothing of this series , so I'm enjoying it thus far. The comedy inserts are hilarious regardless of random timing.
crafty_bernardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 13:00   Link #51
Wandering Soul

I enjoyed the first episode. The comedy scenes didn't bug me. I found them funny and they did stop things from getting too tense.
Old 2016-10-08, 15:28   Link #52
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
When I saw toyohisa I though he was yukimura for an instant, the outfit I guess.
Haha, well, they're the same character type, I guess it comes out stronger when they're animated... But Toyohisa still has a lot to grow to be as hot-blooded as Yukimura! (Never mind oyakata-sama...)
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 19:37   Link #53
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Also if you think about it the subject of that scene IS pretty funny - dude 'dies' thinking his legacy will outlast him, everything he built has gone to shit in a mere 18 years. Funny and sad, but hey, that's the human condition for you. I see it as an acknowledgement of that when you actually look at it and laugh.

Anyway, just going to leave this here (too bad it has no subtitles):

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Now, that's funny-willis.
Old 2016-10-08, 21:07   Link #54
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Nobunaga again and 2 other hot blooded idiots but the MC can take one hell of a punishment
Old 2016-10-08, 23:22   Link #55
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
Yoichi is female Yoichi is female.
You keep thinking that.
Old 2016-10-09, 00:18   Link #56
OkamiNoKaze

It would be cool if we could get a Alucard cameo, even better if it's his historical basis.
Old 2016-10-09, 02:02   Link #57
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
You keep thinking that.
Unless we are looking at one of the flatest females in anime, I think it's a good bet that Yoichi is a he.
Old 2016-10-09, 02:13   Link #58
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Historically he was a he, and this isn't the Nasuverse, but you never know...
Old 2016-10-09, 04:18   Link #59
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Guess funi's gonna have a ball if and when figure how to illustrate Satsuma-Ben in English...

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-09, 14:25   Link #60
DemonneoPT

Yep, the misplaced comedy (and it's not even funny for the most part imo) is the big turn off in the anime for me. As a manga reader and being familiar to the author's work i knew what to expect but i really dislike it..lol. It gets even worse tho. It's a shame because Drifters has everything i like in a "isekai" story, like having adult chars instead of skinny teens with swords and lolis in the main cast (with no harem-like atmosphere for a change). It's a seinen with fantastic and gory action scenes mixed together with the interesting premise of known historical figures being trapped in a dark fantasy world. The mystery surrounding certain chars, the world itself and politics makes it a nice adventure to follow. Without the horrible humor being thrown from nowhere and breaking immersion, it would instantly be the anime of the year for me especially when it has such a good animation, badass art style and a cool OST!
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote