AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-02-02, 13:25   Link #11901
ccie20012

We'll rejoice at the wedding Medaka x Zen. I believe in happy endings of arc.
It is strange that someone hates Medaka because she is the strongest (overpowered).
At this is key point Medaka Box.
I do not know how in other genres but in romcom girls often are the strongest.
And cute at the same time.
ccie20012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 13:29   Link #11902
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccie20012 View Post
We'll rejoice at the wedding Medaka x Zen. I believe in happy endings of arc.
It is strange that someone hates Medaka because she is the strongest (overpowered).
At this is key point Medaka Box.
I do not know how in other genres but in romcom girls often are the strongest.
And cute at the same time.
Nisio should be given a gold medal for making a story with an overpowered and seemingly unbeatable main character one of the best in Jump. Medaka Box is my favourite series in the magazine only after One Piece.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 13:30   Link #11903
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurusu-Shirudo View Post
Nisio should be given a gold medal for making a story with an overpowered and seemingly unbeatable main character one of the best in Jump. Medaka Box is my favourite series in the magazine only after One Piece.
Still think Onepunch-Man does that better xD
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 13:33   Link #11904
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Still think Onepunch-Man does that better xD
And I won'd deny that. Saitama with that fish-face always makes me lol so hard XD

But in terms of story and plot, MB all the way.
Old 2013-02-02, 13:38   Link #11905
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I've said this before, but I don't hate her because she's strong, I hate her because she throws every other character into the background.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 13:39   Link #11906
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I've said this before, but I don't hate her because she's strong, I hate her because she throws every other character into the background.
This is not quite true. And besides, after this, if she's somehow coming back, it won't happen for a looooooooooong while.
Old 2013-02-02, 13:45   Link #11907
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
And I won'd deny that. Saitama with that fish-face always makes me lol so hard XD

But in terms of story and plot, MB all the way.
True, both series simply focus on different things. MB focuses on...well having an actual plot, and OPM focuses on comedy.

People don't usually hate OP MCs because they are OP but because of other factors, Saitama in OPM is a good example and another is Rai from Noblesse of super OP main characters that people just can't help but love...it's just how the author handles them that brings about love or hate for these characters.
Old 2013-02-02, 13:48   Link #11908
silver001

Quote:
True, both series simply focus on different things. MB focuses on...well having an actual plot, and OPM focuses on comedy.

People don't usually hate OP MCs because they are OP but because of other factors, Saitama in OPM is a good example and another is Rai from Noblesse of super OP main characters that people just can't help but love...it's just how the author handles them that brings about love or hate for these characters.
not to start something, but Rai is not OP. He is just protected by plot armor by virtue of being the MC. Most of the fighting is usually done by everyone other than him, if you took him out in most of the battles except the one with the lord, the outcome would have been the same.
silver001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 13:53   Link #11909
ccie20012

Quote:
background
Of course.
Because this is Medaka Box. No Hakoniwa Academy story/Abnormal story/Bakemonogatari. Or other title.
This is the story of Medaka. All the other characters - this is only the secondary/background for story of Medaka.
Zen is the love interest of Medaka and important character for its development. And so on.

Last edited by ccie20012; 2013-02-02 at 14:05.
Old 2013-02-02, 14:17   Link #11910
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver001 View Post
not to start something, but Rai is not OP. He is just protected by plot armor by virtue of being the MC. Most of the fighting is usually done by everyone other than him, if you took him out in most of the battles except the one with the lord, the outcome would have been the same.
Rai was stated several times to be the strongest noble there has ever been (which so far means he's the strongest being in the series), he is so powerful that only the the Lord managed to make him get serious so far and even then he barely had to make an effort to match her full power.
Rai isn't protected by plot armor...he IS everyone else's plot armor since he ends up finishing the enemies others can't and he does it with little to no effort put into it. He is so OP that the author had to make up that "using his own life force" excuse to have him away from combat.

There is a major difference between having plot armor and just being plain OP. Natsu, Ichigo, Naruto and other shounen battle manga MCs have plot armor, they survive things they shouldn't due to the most BS of reasons (often Nakama Power)...Rai, Saitama and so on don't survive things they shouldn't because so far nothing thrown at them has been able to be an actual threat to someone of their power (while it would be deadly to most other characters in the series).

Medaka, in my honest opinion, a SEMI-OP main character with thin plot armor. She is stronger than nearly every other character, enough to reasonably explain why she survives most shit thrown at her, but just barely.
Old 2013-02-02, 17:28   Link #11911
DawnEmperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
You know what is also getting old? This pathetic Medaka hater card that some of you here likes to throw out when someone says something negative even without mentioning Medaka.
My point is that sometimes we should just move on, because sooner or later our personal views and interests regarding certain character end up clouding our overall analysis of the manga.
DawnEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 18:43   Link #11912
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
There is a major difference between having plot armor and just being plain OP. Natsu, Ichigo, Naruto and other shounen battle manga MCs have plot armor, they survive things they shouldn't due to the most BS of reasons (often Nakama Power)...Rai, Saitama and so on don't survive things they shouldn't because so far nothing thrown at them has been able to be an actual threat to someone of their power (while it would be deadly to most other characters in the series).

Medaka, in my honest opinion, a SEMI-OP main character with thin plot armor. She is stronger than nearly every other character, enough to reasonably explain why she survives most shit thrown at her, but just barely.
Just how is Medaka any different from those OP characters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnEmperor View Post
My point is that sometimes we should just move on, because sooner or later our personal views and interests regarding certain character end up clouding our overall analysis of the manga.
I guess.

Quote:
Of course.
Because this is Medaka Box. No Hakoniwa Academy story/Abnormal story/Bakemonogatari. Or other title.
This is the story of Medaka. All the other characters - this is only the secondary/background for story of Medaka.
Zen is the love interest of Medaka and important character for its development. And so on.
Medaka is the main character, Ajimu even spelled out to Zenikichi and by extension the fandom that she will never truly 'lose' as she is the main character.

Quote:

Your mileage may vary. I hate OP characters even if they are written well. Medaka hasn't been handled to well in my opinion, she already had the solution for the plot causing me to wonder what exactly is the point of the other characters being there int he first place. Everyone cannot help but love her or respect her because they know they didn't have a chance in heaven of beating her.
Old 2013-02-02, 19:37   Link #11913
Homura7

Let's bring back an important fact, the reason why Medaka can't/won't defeat Iihiko.

Spoiler for spoiler:

To sum it up, she loses either way.
Old 2013-02-02, 20:59   Link #11914
ccie20012

Quote:
Let's bring back an important fact, the reason why Medaka can't/won't defeat Iihiko.
To sum it up, she loses either way.
I think it is quite obvious that the duo Zen + Medaka would win Iihiko.
So it was throughout history.
If Medaka can not do something it will make Zen.
I bet that in the next or next-next chapter Zen will fulfill its role.
Besides, it was too boring if everything depended on "brute force".
I am not like manga this type.
As you noticed prev arc ended at word game. Before that Zen has won the election. Not in the field of battle.
Yes, I know that Medaka is not just the most powerful weapons of the two universes (it's a joke/ link to Lexx).
She is also very smart - she is brilliant tactician and strategist.
But it has its limitations. If she can win Iichiko alone, then she wins. If Medaka can not - the author always there are those who would help her.
First Zen.

Last edited by ccie20012; 2013-02-02 at 21:13.
Old 2013-02-03, 00:04   Link #11915
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Anyone else...

Spoiler for spoiler:
Asuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 00:43   Link #11916
Thth
???

People are optimistic indeed Only to be disappointed later when she comes back and defeats Iihiko.
Mind you I will be happy to eat my words if something different happens, but I just cant see it considering this manga . I am keeping my expectations rock bottom so as not to lead to pointless rage later...
Thth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 04:20   Link #11917
silvercover
Romance Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thth View Post
People are optimistic indeed Only to be disappointed later when she comes back and defeats Iihiko.
Mind you I will be happy to eat my words if something different happens, but I just cant see it considering this manga . I am keeping my expectations rock bottom so as not to lead to pointless rage later...
yeeep. im just holding back from clapping my hands at this chapter, til we're sure she's dead/lost.

as for "OP characters are hated a lot", I toss in evangeline from negima as rebuttal. she's like the 2nd strongest character ever(1st if we ignore the mage of beginning, and nagi just beat her since she loved him) yet she's got like the biggest fanbase with only a handful of haters.
at least, majority of the users like her, unlike in some others like here where its divided evenly. I hardly remember any person who disliked eva, only that some prefer another character over her.
silvercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 04:50   Link #11918
kenjtr

İ think lihiko cant be defeated by power but they need an ability like zenkichis which erased medaka 2 , lihiko is like a ghost who posses people .
kenjtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 20:55   Link #11919
Last Carpet

Does anyone else think that once this arc is over and Zen goes back to the student council he's going to walk in on them changing clothes?
Last Carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 01:57   Link #11920
runset

i got this spoiler and try to do a quick translation of it. this chapter was good because maybe the one to defeat iihiko was...
Spoiler for spoiler translation:

way to go, this character was my favourite
runset is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council