AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-05-25, 19:35   Link #101
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
$20-30, that was cheap, compared to hentai with fansubs in greece of late 90s... then again considering the process to produce them, ship them, and most importantly pay everyone in between... it makes sense... that's why I love the internet, usually minimizing/cutting that accursed "in between" cost makes everything more accessible
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 19:48   Link #102
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
VHS... People complain about anime being too expensive today when they can get an entire 12 episode series for 30-40 bucks. Back then it was $30 for 2 episodes subbed or $20 dubbed.
Yep. Was going to write about the same thing. When I first started buying anime, it was on VHS. I used to buy dub. Only got sub when there was no choice. I remember buying dub Anime VHS tapes with only 2 episodes for $30. Sometimes I'd find some for $25 and that made me happy. Sometimes I'd find some for $20 and I'd be so excited about that. It is funny. Today, on DVD, you can buy some thin packs of 12 or 13 episode series for less than $20. You can even find some economy packages of 24-26 episode series for around $25, give or take.
Old 2012-05-25, 19:52   Link #103
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Dubs... OMFGs! why would anyone pay extra money to ruin a perfectly fine piece of art is beyond me (children and red-necks of ALL countries that can not read excluded)
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 21:49   Link #104
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Dubs... OMFGs! why would anyone pay extra money to ruin a perfectly fine piece of art is beyond me (children and red-necks of ALL countries that can not read excluded)
VHS was a lose/lose situation, either you get english dubs (which back in the day were horrible, the only ones I forced myself to accept were from the ranma 1/2 TV series because NOBODY buy the subs) or you get nice subtitles that OBSTRUCT a part of the screen, sometimes blocking a part of the screen you wanted to see >_< The situation didn't changed with avi, where subtitles were hardcoded since ver few group used the realplayer smil format (I remember watching hana yori dango and mini goddess with said subtitles). Another disadvantage of VHS is that it runs at 30 fps while anime runs at 24 fps, which is theorically superior but in practice no matter how l33t your pausing skills were, you would get scenes where two frames were mixed together when you REALLY wanted to pause an scene >_<

But not everything was bad, there was none of this censorship stuff, if the anime had ecchi, violence or whatnot you got to SEE IT. I suppose that if Baoh is shown nowadays on japanese TV it would be heavily edited.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 23:16   Link #105
HeartlessEponine
~Love and Fire~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Yep. Was going to write about the same thing. When I first started buying anime, it was on VHS. I used to buy dub. Only got sub when there was no choice. I remember buying dub Anime VHS tapes with only 2 episodes for $30. Sometimes I'd find some for $25 and that made me happy. Sometimes I'd find some for $20 and I'd be so excited about that. It is funny. Today, on DVD, you can buy some thin packs of 12 or 13 episode series for less than $20. You can even find some economy packages of 24-26 episode series for around $25, give or take.
I usually hear some people who record their anime from the TV to their VHS. I remember Cardcaptors. yeah that dubbed version of Cardcaptor Sakura. Those were the days. I used to have a cabinet full of diskettes just to save some anime pictures and anime midi files (Sailormoon and my Cardcaptor Sakura hype was sky-high those days). Heck, I am proud enough to say that around age 6 or 7, I was able to go to anime sites, and download 1 mp3 file for 1 hour....in dial-up connection~

@Malkuth: here in my country, 20-30 American Dollars in our currency is like...expensive already.
HeartlessEponine is offline   Reply With Quote