AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Guilty Crown

Notices

View Poll Results: Guilty Crown - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 24 27.27%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 23 26.14%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 19.32%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 9.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 5.68%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 5.68%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.27%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.14%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 3.41%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-12, 23:19   Link #41
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Wow... this episode did indeed feel like a season/series ender to me. Or, at least, the 2nd last episode before you have a "Mop up" final episode that's just pure aftermath/clue-up.

I'll admit that this episode, like a fair number of GC episodes, manages to carry me away with its pure spectacle. I can definitely see how the drama in this might seem overwrought, or the revelations overly rushed, to some viewers, but for me it just worked quite well.

Even though this is the first episode where we get to hear Mana talk and interact with other characters, her character was portrayed in such a way that it managed to make me care about her descent into madness. It probably helped that "sane Mana" almost instantly reminded me a fair bit of Mawaru Penguin Drum's Himari, and so she won me over pretty quickly as I also liked Himari a lot.

The flashback sequences as a whole where solidly effective, imo, and I liked how they were interspersed pretty evenly with current, ongoing plot scenes.

The best element of the episode was definitely the Gai/Shu juxtaposition, though. That was very neat. I liked how Gai became strong by trying to be like Shu, and Shu genuinely was strong as a kid. That's a really neat twist given how much Shu has been envying Gai throughout this anime so far.

I think it all makes for an interesting commentary on how major traumatic events can effect people in diametrically opposite ways.

For Shu, "Lost Christmas" made him break down psychologically to the point where he actually forced out huge chunks of his memory. Furthermore, it's clear that it sapped a lot of Shu's strength away, as his teenage self is quite different from his kid self.

For Gai, it made him want to become stronger. And so he did become stronger, much stronger.

I wasn't bothered by the convenient nature of Gai's void, because the nature of his void makes perfect sense given Gai's special abilities. Gai's void ability being that it can activate other voids is almost poetic in how well it fits with his established characterization.

That being said, the overall situation did feel just a touch too artificial/convenient to me. It was a bit too perfectly staged. Also, lots of pretty random double-crosses and motivations on the part of the antagonists in this episode which made suspension of disbelief just a little bit harder for me, and also took a bit of "Oomph!" away from the episode.

Still, in spite of those flaws, it was a very enjoyable watch overall for me, and not at all a bad way to end a major arc.

9/10 for Episode 12.
Old 2012-01-12, 23:43   Link #42
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
Implying she hasn't already
With Gai dead, now it can be official especially with next episode preview. Heck the student council president in as well.
Old 2012-01-12, 23:57   Link #43
SolCiel

Wow, the episode went by really fast in its whole "Mana" issue. There was a scene that was sticking out a lot though.
Spoiler for this one scene that bugs me a bit...:

Also a shoutout to Gai, what a great friend you were until you sort of left your best friend sitting in a pile of rubble suffering trauma. I thought it was really funny how he just stands up and says "have to get stronger kthxbai" and walks off.
Old 2012-01-12, 23:59   Link #44
Bordix

That was just disappointing. I certainly didn't like how they handled their past very poorly. Everything just felt rushed and awkward.

Mana being a manipulating bitch was a pleasant surprise though.
Old 2012-01-13, 00:07   Link #45
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
Oh, Shu's face from the preview was so GAR that I thought about 2 years passed, not 2 weeks:
Old 2012-01-13, 00:12   Link #46
justsomeguy

Wow, the writers pretty much wrapped up the entire backstory in this episode. Now that Gai, Mana, and Shuichiro are dead, I have no idea where the plot could go. This may be the beginning of the return of Shu the badass though, with him regaining his memories and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-san
Btw, how the hell Triton and Ayase were able to go in the parralel world ?
It wasn't a parallel world, it was the crystal tower that rose up where the Undertakers' base was (how they didn't know Mana was entombed underneath is a mystery). The other Void User's power just opened up some sort of path linking the tower and the airbase. Gai and Ayase presumably took the long route.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
Old 2012-01-13, 00:22   Link #47
Manic
real men love pink

Quote:
Also a shoutout to Gai, what a great friend you were until you sort of left your best friend sitting in a pile of rubble suffering trauma. I thought it was really funny how he just stands up and says "have to get stronger kthxbai" and walks off.
yeah gai wasnt a very good person. Hell in an earlier ep he tells shu to cherish his friends, which is odd advice since gai certainly didnt try to help shu out very much. You'd think for being his inspiration he'd been a lil more helpful to the guy. Tho i guess he couldnt get over his resentment for the girls chosing shu over him?
Old 2012-01-13, 00:36   Link #48
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

OHHHHH!!!!! Guilty Crown is back! Here comes my laugh of the day!

*watches episode*
Er... Gee... Geez... I was only half-serious, but it really was bad.

Be it...
-Mana just being insane, yandere (And Gastrodon...)
-Pretty much Shuu was the reason for the big bang... which isn't as important as how everything else around them was destroyed and they just happened to survive... which is important, but Guy suddenly going "I need to get stronger" being a pretty sudden jump in thought process on the level of ItsuTenma's that guy (Lelouch)
-Guy........ err....... Coming back from a deadly wound by saying "It missed my critical point!"
-"She created the virus... Thus she is Eve!" <-- Scriptwriter: "Hey, let's just slap some 'cool' words into the episode!
-The every-so-hilarious BGM
-Random light orb flying the two to safety
And so on...

Anyways, it was a good laugh again.
I hope Guy doesn't come back again, because something missed his critical point again.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2012-01-13, 00:42   Link #49
dark998

All my predictions about Mana's past were entirely off, oh well. And Inori being a vessel rather than a mere clone was interesting. The whole "wedding" ceremony with Keido was kinda creppy as well...GET AWAY FROM HER OLD MAN!

But not as creepy as Mana, especially when she is jealous

In other matters, I was expecting Gai to actually live longer but at least he could hold Mana one last time. Definitely was hard for Shu to just remember about his old friend and lose it right away but fortunately Inori was there to provide much needed moral support. Yes, the was the cudding (of sorts) scene I was asking for since the past episode. Thank you, writers.

And with that Act 1 ends, now it is time for a new beginning complete with shiny new OP/ED starting next week. I sure can't wait for it.
Old 2012-01-13, 00:48   Link #50
king12354

Wow, what an idiotic plot. Nothing makes sense in this show. Can't even take Gai and Mana dying seriously after all that.
Old 2012-01-13, 02:45   Link #51
guanin
Jiii~

One thing I don't get: Why did Mana's poke-spamming stop with Gai? I mean, when she got Gai during that final scene, before they were about to be slashed by Shu, why did she stop attacking and just let Shu kill them both? Is it because he made contact with Gai and this somehow repressed her yandere side?

And I think it was mentioned that it was Mana who made the first contact with the alien rock; that's how she got the Apocalypse Virus. How, where and why? Good question.

Last edited by guanin; 2012-01-13 at 02:59.
Old 2012-01-13, 02:57   Link #52
Manic
real men love pink

best not to question something like that and just except what happened haha. Tho if ya need something, i guess cus she loves shu so she'd never kill him?
Old 2012-01-13, 04:29   Link #53
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

In all honesty I couldn't really take this episode seriously. I was facepalming so much at all the contrivances and tropes and the pointless wedding thing that I just couldn't take it seriously (The wedding thing was really bad because it reminds me too much of all those stupid melodramatic weddings in cliche TV soaps). I suppose it didn't help that we had already guessed most of the revelations in the episode. The only real big revelation was how screwed up Mana was. That certainly was interesting but that's about the only thing I can say and even that was silly in some ways too.

Last edited by Haak; 2012-01-13 at 09:43.
Old 2012-01-13, 04:32   Link #54
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Episode 12 - Everybody's floating:

- Dan Eagleman got married and had a son. After years of toiling and labor for serving the American army using GUTS Dan finally managed to acquire a few days off. So he decides to take his wife and son on a luxurious ship cruise to Japan to recuperate his GUTS. On the ship deck one thing(food on this ship is bad!) led to another(The toilet has a darn queue!) Dan and his wife started arguing about Dan's domestic violence tendencies, which led to bruises all over the son when he tried to protect his mother from the angry father's beatings. Dan's wife wanted him to get help but he insists he is a healthy, jovial man who would overcome anything with GUTS. The argument reaches a boiling point and Dan tried to push his wife, and as usual, his son steps in between them to protect his mother from harm. So Dan ends up pushing his son...over the rail on the edge of the ship and into the ocean. Dan's son lost all his memories due to this traumatic experience and floats to a nearby beach, where a boy and a girl found the son. The son is named Triton by the girl. Because apparently Momotaro is too normal a name.

- Keido sure likes his girls young. He's 50 or 60 something and she's 16. Keido feared the society would never accept such a shot-gun marriage. And so he decides to marry her in an alternate dimension.

- I thought Clown guy was gay for Shu, but now I think its just the way he talks. Segai-kun ijiwaru~~ ///

- lol at Gai abandoning Shu right after he protected him from the big explosion.

- Guilty Crown remains an interesting watch. The director knows pacing well and I'm never bored. So I guess I'm pretty happy with this show.

- Mugi-chan makes a cute villain.
       /
      / \|
    /
Old 2012-01-13, 05:23   Link #55
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
In all honesty I couldn't really take this episode seriously. I was facepalming so much at all the contrivances and tropes and the pointless wedding thing that I just couldn't take it seriously. I suppose it didn't help that we had already guessed most of the revelations in the episode. The only real big revelation was how screwed up Mana was. That certainly was interesting but that's about the only thing I can say and even that was silly in some ways too.
Just take it with laugh bro! Like Serenade_beta I just laughing the entire eps

Oh man.. I.G, you just want Aniplex to bankrupt or what
Old 2012-01-13, 05:51   Link #56
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
What just happened ? By the end of the episode Shu and Inori are crying and I'm just "what?" Rather impressive how they just crammed all of Shu's memories, Mana's entire backstory, and oh killing Mana and Gai, all in one episode. You just see the guy in charge of pacing just cracking the whip to get things moving. It's like they thought after the time between episodes they had to make up for it...

I'll give Shu credit for pretty much not blinking an eye at the whole running his sister through with a sword thing. Bros before...sisters? I mean sure she had snapped, but it was all concern about the guy already dead. Assuming his "vitals" were hit that time . Thought this were going to be really interesting or at least long lasting in the series when it came to Mana from the initial flashbacks and then in that earlier episode. Instead just throw her story out and then kill her off. Suppose I had hoped she'd be a bigger part of things, oh well.

Was some interesting things like Shu and Gai doing a complete swap in personalities. The whole Mana thing just completely shattered Shu's mind so he just fell apart. Gai....he decided to get bad ass and run a resistance group .

No idea where the heck they go from here. I suppose there is still the 'enemy' and that new guy that sliced up Gai, but will have to see how it all comes together.

All you can really do is laugh . I mean what the heck was all that?
Old 2012-01-13, 06:24   Link #57
Aqua Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
Episode 12 - Everybody's floating:

- Dan Eagleman got married and had a son. After years of toiling and labor for serving the American army using GUTS Dan finally managed to acquire a few days off. So he decides to take his wife and son on a luxurious ship cruise to Japan to recuperate his GUTS. On the ship deck one thing(food on this ship is bad!) led to another(The toilet has a darn queue!) Dan and his wife started arguing about Dan's domestic violence tendencies, which led to bruises all over the son when he tried to protect his mother from the angry father's beatings. Dan's wife wanted him to get help but he insists he is a healthy, jovial man who would overcome anything with GUTS. The argument reaches a boiling point and Dan tried to push his wife, and as usual, his son steps in between them to protect his mother from harm. So Dan ends up pushing his son...over the rail on the edge of the ship and into the ocean. Dan's son lost all his memories due to this traumatic experience and floats to a nearby beach, where a boy and a girl found the son. The son is named Triton by the girl. Because apparently Momotaro is too normal a name.
What
Old 2012-01-13, 06:26   Link #58
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Good episode.. Not much to say, felt like a great ending, if a bit rushed.

.. Only, it wasn't actually the end. Now I'm confused where this plot is supposed to go from here..
Old 2012-01-13, 06:39   Link #59
magnuskn

Yeah, this felt like a final episode to me, too. I guess that means they are going to drop that little sub-plot of Shu's blonde classmate being attracted towards Gai? Or maybe that means Gai will be back. Eh, whatever. We still got 10 - 13 episodes to find out where they intend to go with this.

But it was really quite entertaining. I must admit, I didn't see Mana being virus-incest-crazy ( or being Shu's sister in the first place ) coming at all.

I guess there's still the question who Shu's real parents were, what will happen to Japan now, who will be the new big villain and so on. The preview looks like everybody has joined Shu's school. Well, besides Segai, which would have been awesomely funny. Imagine Segai teaching a class. ^^
Old 2012-01-13, 07:04   Link #60
Soji

It seems to me that it was confirmed that Mana was not associated with blood with Shu ,meaning that she was not his real sister.Or at least, that what I understood with the comment about Aruka and the episode itself. Any way that's was a great episode and like dark998 said the last scene between Shu and Inori was good.And I'm really glad that Inori prove me wrong. I thought that she was unable to console people, but instead in this episode she proved that she can(at least with Shu).
Spoiler for Inori and Shu:

She have done / said exactly what Shu needed at this time.
Closed Thread