AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 67 24.63%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 96 35.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 58 21.32%
7 out of 10 : Good 26 9.56%
6 out of 10 : Average 15 5.51%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 1.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.37%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.74%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 1.10%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-04, 06:51   Link #381
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

But isn't he busy with Birdy, FMA2 and whatever else he's got at the moment? I gotta say, it doesn't really look good.

Old 2009-03-28, 11:44   Link #382
bishopcruz

Quick question, not sure where else to ask.

I'm in the process of getting the HD fansubs for the series, and would like to pretty much have them all from the same group if possible. Which are the best of the HD subs out there, and also which ones have the least amount of annoying Karaoke effects. I know a lot of people love them, but I really, REALLY don't. Simple song translations would be best, but at the very least I just don't want text jumping on and off the screen in flashy ways.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 2009-03-28, 13:36   Link #383
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Go with the THORA Blu-Ray rips, then. Quality-wise they are the best - and they don't add all those frilly karaoke, mostly.

Old 2009-03-28, 13:45   Link #384
bishopcruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Go with the THORA Blu-Ray rips, then. Quality-wise they are the best - and they don't add all those frilly karaoke, mostly.
I was looking for them, but they seem to have gone under. Which kinda sucks. Don't think they finished everything.
Old 2009-03-28, 14:09   Link #385
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

The Blu-Ray releases are not completed yet, that's why the rips aren't, either.

Old 2009-03-28, 15:16   Link #386
bishopcruz

Thanks for the help, I found some torrents with them, and I had the Yakk Deculture one they did before, and was pretty happy with it. What I meant is that when you go to their website it says that they are gone and not coming back. I'm a bit concerned they might not be doing past 18 or so. 19 was on that same DVD.

But, I found out that their site is own, but their channel is up, and they will be doing the rest of the series.
Old 2009-04-20, 18:23   Link #387
Fel
Clean up princess

I am going to watch this series very soon but I don't know what is the right way to do it...

There is a TV version
a DVD version
and something called deculture version

what is the difference and which one should I watch???
Old 2009-04-20, 18:41   Link #388
LC
Shocking Pink

The DVD version ep. 1 is the TV ep. 1 and the deculture episode. (I think..) The DVD version is basically the same, but some animation has been corrected. Not all of the dvds/blu-rays have been released yet, so you might as well just watch the DVD version as far as it goes, and then finish out with the TV version.
Old 2009-04-21, 00:00   Link #389
Tsuchiro

The BD/DVD comes with 3 version of episode 1, the Yak Culture, Deculture, and the TV broadcast version. The Yak Deculture version is basically the Deculture and TV broadcast put into on episode, so that should be the one you should be watching.

And the last BD/DVD should be out on Friday.

Last edited by Tsuchiro; 2009-04-21 at 00:38.
Old 2009-04-22, 17:46   Link #390
Fel
Clean up princess

okay cool
so it sounds like the first episode is the only one that has lots of different versions
Ill watch the deculture version of that and dvd for the rest
Old 2009-04-22, 17:56   Link #391
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

You should really go for the Blu-Ray THORA rips. It's like a whole different series, honestly.

Old 2009-05-24, 22:00   Link #392
Lostdreams

Just rewatched this series, and realized how awesome it really is. The animation for the first two episodes was spectacular!!! They must have spent a load of $$$ on Macross, since none of the others have the animation and sound quality that Macross Frontier has.
Old 2009-06-23, 16:03   Link #393
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

On the Recommendation of a friend who's a giant Mecha fan, i checked this series out:

Animation Quality: 8
Good, solid animation.

Voice Actors:10
Fantastic voice acting, really captured the mood of it for me.

Script: 7
I didn't particularly enjoy the "twist" of who is the real enemy. And what the heck is with Cathy? Did she even like Leon? Obviously enough to do suggestive things with him just to go back to Ozma quickly.

Love Triangle: 4
Wait, there was a love triangle? All i saw was Sheryl X Alto with Ranka as the girl with unrequited feelings. Ranka seemed only to get Attention from Alto when she had problems and needed advice and when she was captured. It seemed more like Ranka X Brera

Alto X Sheryl <--------------- Ranka?

By the end of Episode 24 i had seen victory declared by Sheryl. And then the ending was ambiguous. ( i guess for the movie) By that time i was already expecting a Alto X Sheryl ending and wanted to know what he was going to tell her before they left. Then i watched the ending and well.... You know...

I only began to favor Sheryl because she had that much more character development.
character development -> More Screen time -> Branches off into love or hate.

Ranka's development..... Well there was almost none. So she basically came off on me as a naive idealistic child.

Alto- I wanted to learn about why he left his family or why he chose not to succeed it. It might have been as boring as he didn't feel like it. But the possibility was there for more development between him and his father, which i would have liked.

I am Fully confident that this was a Sheryl X Alto Ending though.

Music 10/10
Fantastic stuff. They outdid themselves.

Basically it kept me quite engaged and wanting more, although the parts i mainly enjoyed were the romance. ( I like giant robots as much as the next person but hey..)

My Criteria for Rating: Keeps me interested, keeps me immersed, and keeps me excited. It did all three.

I Would have Given it a 10/10 but that Unresolved Triangle really killed it for me.

Overall 9/10

Last edited by Foreshadow; 2009-08-25 at 22:30.
Old 2009-06-27, 04:40   Link #394
klare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreshadow View Post
Animation Quality: 8
Good, solid animation.

Music 10/10

Overall 9/10
agreed, except there are times the missiles and laser beams filled up the whole screen and i cannot figure out who is shooting who

as for the music, i think no other anime has the quality and quantity that can be compared to this series, and we get 2 songtress

Spoiler for the not so good part:
Old 2009-06-29, 22:08   Link #395
Death Header
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Music 10/10
Is it just me, or did the staff re-use the same OP songs for battle Scenes. I first noticed when I was watching and that really did not sit right with me for some reason.
Old 2009-06-29, 22:17   Link #396
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post
Is it just me, or did the staff re-use the same OP songs for battle Scenes. I first noticed when I was watching and that really did not sit right with me for some reason.
Think of it as "foreshadowing" instead of "recycling," and you may be happier.
Old 2009-07-10, 16:14   Link #397
Death Header
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Think of it as "foreshadowing" instead of "recycling," and you may be happier.
What

That's like saying that using the OP for Gundam 00 in most battle scenes foreshadow something, which it doesn't.

where did you get that idea?

Last edited by Death Header; 2009-07-11 at 12:36.
Old 2009-07-10, 16:23   Link #398
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post
I really don't think there is anything wrong with using the OP songs during the battle scenes as long as the song is good. And even then, we get to hear more of the song considering the OST's weren't out and all the music in Macross Frontier was amazing. Besides, it's not like those were the only songs that were popular and there were times when both Sheryl and Ranka were singing at their concerts while there was a battle going on, seems appropriate if you ask me. The battle scenes were also very well choreographed along with the music. It really isn't a big deal.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-07-10, 16:24   Link #399
Snowblind
Professional Lurker

Is there no sense of humour here? O.o
Old 2009-07-10, 17:20   Link #400
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
Is there no sense of humour here? O.o
I blame his age. Young'uns got no respect for us old people nowadays... <swings cane>