AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-01-07, 22:31   Link #1
Fel
Clean up princess

Anime on 3D TVs...

So they are starting to produce TVs that can broadcast in 3D without needing the special glasses.
http://www.nwcn.com/news/business/Ki...-80926327.html

No doubt that there will begin to be anime shows that broadcast in 3D eventually.

What do people think about this?
What will it mean for the fansub culture and technology
Old 2010-01-07, 22:36   Link #2
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

To be honest, I expect only completely CG anime is going to bother using it - I'm not aware of any techniques for making conventional hand drawn animation work with 3D technology.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 22:50   Link #3
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Anime is 90% 2D so I don't see how would that even work. Not that it matters, this is just another gimmick in my opinion.
Revenger1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 00:02   Link #4
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal

Based on what I've seen in theatres I don't see why anyone would bother getting all the hardware needed for 3d movies. As was said it's just one nice gimmick.
Let alone anime! Making it 3d would be like heresy to the otaku culture.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 01:55   Link #5
Marcus H.
Toji Affairs Secretary

Anime produced by J.C. Staff or any other company investing on high-end computer graphics will benefit from 3D. Shaft? Not sure. Their style isn't consistently 2D or 3D so they might flop sometimes.

Spring 2018: Amanchu! Advance (9/12) and Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii.
Carryover from Winter 2018: Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card Arc (16/22) and Toji no Miko.
See the Toji no Miko Wiki Project in action!
Summer 2018: Hataraku Saibou (1/1c) and Kyoto Teramachi Sanjou no Holmes (1/1c).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 34. Completed: 336. Plan to watch: 31.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 19:51   Link #6
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

It would prob look great if it's a CG title with battles like in MS Igloo or Advent Children. It might even spur them to improve their CG animation. CG hair is one of my pet peeves. Most of it looks molded not like Advent Children's hair.

It's for the high end crowd for now. You're talking adding $300 to the cost of a plasma TV set IIRC. Then there's the blu-ray player that has to be bought with those features added or get a PS3 which is able to handle it.

Prob won't affect fansubs as the computers will also be upgraded once the TVs are imo. It'll take a while for all of this to get mainstreamed imo.
Old 2010-01-09, 02:37   Link #7
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Bring back cels tbh.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 06:01   Link #8
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel View Post
So they are starting to produce TVs that can broadcast in 3D without needing the special glasses.
No, on the contrary, for the technology discussed in the linked article they re saying (or implying) that glasses would still be needed.

I'd thought that one of the selling points of anime (anime in the narrow sense) is that it is a cartoon, i.e. 2D. I also have yet to see a full CGI anime that didn't look creepy in my eyes, especially the puppet-like movements of the characters. Even Avatar had to circumvent this problem by using motion capture and real actors. Now, this might not cost 50 billion Yen but still much too much for a standard anime studio.

EDIT: added italic part for clarification

Last edited by Slice of Life; 2010-01-10 at 08:50.
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 19:02   Link #9
Xion Valkyrie

How'd 2D anime work in 3D? Wouldn't it just look like cardboard cutouts?
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 04:52   Link #10
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
No, on the contrary, they re saying (or implying) that glasses would still be needed.
Not for all, I worked for a company that made animations etc. and they had an assignment done for a TV flatscreen that produced an image that almost looked like it was coming out of the screen. I saw it, they showed it to me in the first day, you didn't need glasses but you had to sit at a certain point in front of it (distance didn't matter) and it would look surreal, for example they had a treasure chest that would open with bubbles coming out and the bubbles looked as if coming towards you out of the screen.

The company got their TV back, this was 2 years ago, I think it was Sony but not sure. Then the people I worked for wanted one but couldn't buy one cause it wasn't in stores and so a couple friends of my boss hooked up 3 computers added a TV screen and they made one themselves. The TV producer was pissed ha ha

However to have video work with 3D vision they would need a certain setting added, how does a dvd or TV know what the depth is calculating it would take some time. If such TV's were introduced then the movies etc. for it must carry a form of reading so that it is broadcasted directly in full 3D without having it calculate first.

The technology is still new, there aren't any TV's sold yet as far as I know, the only thing introduced so far is movies in cinema but they use a different system -> glasses
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 07:22   Link #11
npcomplete

I think we're talking about 3d as simply having depth perception here in terms of objects behind/in front of one another and backgrounds, not models or animation methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
How'd 2D anime work in 3D? Wouldn't it just look like cardboard cutouts?
Maybe, I haven't seen Avatar yet but the couple of older 3D tech I've seen at IMAX and some Disney MJ stuff long ago still looked like cutouts even with live action.

I think my eyes would get crossed or something using it all the time though
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 08:58   Link #12
Strahan

It could be cool. I have Nvidia's stereoscopic 3D setup with my GTX285. If it's like that, it would be pretty cool. Makes me wonder though, if something could be subbed that would probably be weird in 3D. When I play Warhammer 40k Dawn of War, it looks like I can reach into my monitor and grab the units but the status bar/text that is above the unit floats "on top" of the glass, right in my face. Quite a bit distracting. If the subs were like that it would probably be annoying to deal with.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 13:32   Link #13
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

This may be interesting, but not practical as most animes are in 2D opposed to 3D... unless they use CGI of some sort. Also, this can get distracting.
Old 2010-01-12, 17:09   Link #14
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

I don't really like 3D anyway, I wouldn't like it at all.

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 19:46   Link #15
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Considering that anime production houses are having trouble affording the costs of making 2-D shows, what do you suppose a trend to 3-D would mean?

Over at avsforum.com, an audio/video enthusiasts site, over 40% of the members responding to a poll said they had no interest in 3-D TV. If that's true for this bunch of early adopters, what do you suppose the rest of the public thinks?
SeijiSensei is online now   Reply With Quote