AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2015-10-31, 17:01   Link #1
Fel
Clean up princess

Roku stick, Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick

These are the big 3 streaming sticks on the market today! What are your experiences with each one in putting anime or other videos to your TV? Can you send downloaded videos sitting on your phone to the TV screen?

I tried Chromecast and had a great experience with streaming Crunchyroll to my TV. I couldn't find any option for sending a local video to the TV. I've heard Roku stick can do this. I tried Amazon Fire stick and it was awful. Laggy. Resetting. The only phone option was screen mirror but the constant resetting ruined it.
Old 2015-11-01, 10:48   Link #2
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Roku has its own crunchyroll app so you don't have to worry about trying to stream from another device to it (although you won't get any support if something is wrong since they don't really seem to care), and there are other apps on roku like plex and the like that will allow you to stream video files from another device to it but I'm not sure if there's anything that will allow streaming from a phone since the roku app couldn't find any of the videos on my iPod touch although those are most likely copy protected and couldn't be found by the app so it might work although there might be other apps that have an app on roku that allows streaming from a phone to it.

Everything actually working will depend on your wireless and what is on the stick and the other devices, so you might be better off getting a box instead of a stick and the roku set top boxes aren't that big since the (now discontinued) roku 1 I have is around the size of the palm of my hand and if you have the money, you can get the roku 3 which removes the older video connectors and adds a LAN port and (if I remember correctly) a USB port to boot so you can connect a USB drive (or the phone if it works and you can access the content on it) to it and play videos from there.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-01, 11:37   Link #3
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die

Are you looking for a product that can screen-mirror?
blakstealth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-04, 00:30   Link #4
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I'd recommend the Roku 2 or 3 streaming box. The 3 is around 100 USD, the 2 around 70 USD. They both can stream 1080p from mobile devices. The 3 has the ability to use voice-commands to navigate channels by actor/director/title, the 2 just has the remote. They both also have a microSD card slot so you can save your tv shows or movies to it for playback instead of streaming from another device.
Old 2015-11-04, 11:24   Link #5
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
They both also have a microSD card slot so you can save your tv shows or movies to it for playback instead of streaming from another device.
Just FYI, the micro SD card slot is only to add extra game and channel storage and isn't for playing videos which it what the USB port is for, but it only seems to support H.264 encoded video in either a MKV or MP4 container.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-04, 16:08   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Some TVs like my LG support DLNA so a DLNA server on your phone could stream to them. However it also appears that the server version of BubbleUPNP will also stream to Chromecast. I've only used the Android client to stream from my Linux server running minidlna which works well. You might give that a try.

Here are some other options: http://liliputing.com/2014/02/these-...hromecast.html

Tags
amazon fire, chromecast, crunchyroll, roku, streaming