AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2006-08-24, 22:12   Link #41
Onibaba
"Nice, Takemoto!"

Wow, just wow. I never would have even thought to discuss/bring up underground hip-hop on the asuki forums! SilentKnight, vin.dicative, Samourai...all real good shit.

I think the problem is that most people are ignorant to the difference between rap and hip hop. If someone asked me if I liked rap I'd instantly say no, hip hop on the other hand...

Most of the underground shit has been mentioned, three I didn't see were Sole, Gangstarr (older shit), and Insight

I was debating making a thread about an underground hip hop album being released in Japan recently, guess I'll go ahead and do so.

Edit: ^ Thread about new underground hip hop album released in Japan

Last edited by Onibaba; 2006-08-24 at 22:27.
Onibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-25, 00:46   Link #42
SilentKnight
Yukio Sumadera Fan

never really heard of Insight.

as for Sole and Gangstarr. I knew I forgot some people.

There's also:
Dose One
Brother Ali
A Tribe Called Quest
El Da Sensei
L.I.F.E. long
L-Fudge
Louis Logic
Diabolic

some other people etc etc etc

I'm pretty hooked to Atmosphere and Sage Francis atm since I just came across a few of their old songs that I haven't heard yet.
SilentKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-26, 20:32   Link #43
Samourai
Le samouraļ est le illest

Send a message via AIM to Samourai
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentKnight
never really heard of Insight.

as for Sole and Gangstarr. I knew I forgot some people.

There's also:
Dose One
Brother Ali
A Tribe Called Quest
El Da Sensei
L.I.F.E. long
L-Fudge
Louis Logic
Diabolic

some other people etc etc etc

I'm pretty hooked to Atmosphere and Sage Francis atm since I just came across a few of their old songs that I haven't heard yet.
thats a good list, i used to like louis logic, but he is all flamboyant now. I hate sage francis though. Brother ali is NICE, not a big diabolic fan, i prefer immortal tech.
Samourai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-26, 21:43   Link #44
Onibaba
"Nice, Takemoto!"

Quote:
Sage Francis actually just released two new tracks, you can check em out on his label's site : http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/...mous/index.htm

I don't like the joint with Mac Lethal so much, but the 'Ode To 2005' wasn't to bad...hard to find good shit these days. Jurassic 5 just released "Feedback" on July 25th which was alright. Although Shinsight Trio's new album is probobly in my top 5 hip hop albums this year for sure...good shit.
Old 2006-08-28, 10:24   Link #45
vin.dictive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onibaba
...hard to find good shit these days....
I know eh? For me, the more artists you search up, the more you suck out of that genre. When I feel its saturated, I go ahead and listen to another genre. That's how I got into soul and underground rap to begin with.

I'm listening to Method Man's "4:21 The Day After" and some Chino XL and J-Dilla. Haha, I was running out of artists to listen to until I came across this thread again today. Sadly I don't have enough time to dig deeper. Thanks alot SilentKnight, Samourai and Onibaba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Flash
i hate rap. it sucks. rock is better... so is punk,alternative,or metal.
Aligning that with my musical tastes:

Rock - The rock nowadays is so-so

Punk - I never liked Punk to begin with

Alternative - So-so again

Metal - Absolutely love it. I love it as much as soul & underground rap and hip-hop.
vin.dictive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-28, 17:28   Link #46
Onibaba
"Nice, Takemoto!"

4:21 is pretty dope, and J Dilla's Donuts is spectacular, too! I'm also lookin` forward to the new Chemist album...
Old 2006-08-28, 23:49   Link #47
Samourai

Donuts is cool and all, but i have been a j dilla fan since day one and i feel that donuts wasnt anything special, it was only hyped up so much because he died. (RIP DILLA). but he is one of the greats, at hte top, next to premo.

But jedi mind tricks is deffinitley my favorite, stoupes beats are so infectious, i miss jus allah though.
Old 2006-08-30, 08:21   Link #48
vin.dictive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samourai
Donuts is cool and all, but i have been a j dilla fan since day one and i feel that donuts wasnt anything special, it was only hyped up so much because he died. (RIP DILLA). but he is one of the greats, at hte top, next to premo.

But jedi mind tricks is deffinitley my favorite, stoupes beats are so infectious, i miss jus allah though.
Sadly, I can't find much complete albums of J-Dilla, especially his pre-2003 stuff. Aww poo!

Alas, I haven't heard much good Jedi Mind Tricks as well. Got recommendations, mate?
vin.dictive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-30, 19:06   Link #49
itachi_uchiha_
itachi fanatic

i like eminem,paul wall,slim thung,ying yang,and more
itachi_uchiha_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-31, 18:19   Link #50
Samourai

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi_uchiha_
i like eminem,paul wall,slim thung,ying yang,and more

thats not hiphop thats hipPOP

and check out the album violent by design by jedi mind tricks
Old 2006-08-31, 18:56   Link #51
SilentKnight
Yukio Sumadera Fan

JMT has a new album coming out somewhat soon I believe. The name was Servants In Heaven, Kings In Hell........or something of that matter. (something along the lines of servants and kings and heaven and hell)

but yea, Violent By Design would probably be my favorite JMT album so far.
Old 2006-08-31, 19:09   Link #52
Onibaba
"Nice, Takemoto!"

Quote:
JMT has a new album coming out somewhat soon I believe. The name was Servants In Heaven, Kings In Hell........or something of that matter. (something along the lines of servants and kings and heaven and hell)

but yea, Violent By Design would probably be my favorite JMT album so far.
Correct, it should be pretty tight...and if you guys ever have a chance to snag JMT instrumental collections, I was just listening to some yesterday almost all of them are just awesome.
Old 2006-08-31, 22:03   Link #53
AirMaster
キャシャーン

Send a message via MSN to AirMaster
I like rap. I mostly listen to Big L, Atmoshpere, Mobb Deep (pre G-Unit), EPMD, Sugarhill Gang, Run DMC, Public Enemy, NWA, Notorious BIG, Tupac and others.
<AirMaster> fascinating
<AirMaster> mind telling me more?
<Deacon_Blues> qu4ck
AirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-01, 04:31   Link #54
SilentKnight
Yukio Sumadera Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onibaba
Correct, it should be pretty tight...and if you guys ever have a chance to snag JMT instrumental collections, I was just listening to some yesterday almost all of them are just awesome.
I've got a small collection of JMT instrumentals. I still wanna get my hands on a copy of the instrumental for Storm Of Swords. That one was just sweetness.

And hey, AirMaster's here too. Small world, small world....
Old 2006-09-01, 05:18   Link #55
Samourai

Quote:
I've got a small collection of JMT instrumentals. I still wanna get my hands on a copy of the instrumental for Storm Of Swords. That one was just sweetness.

And hey, AirMaster's here too. Small world, small world....

nice, stoupe is the man, i miss jus allah big time though, vinnie is to repetitive nowadays. The servents in heaven kings in hell beats will be amazing ( check out heavy metal kings, new track with ill bill is out ) but im worried about what vinnie will bring.
Old 2006-09-01, 21:03   Link #56
Laharu
mao de makai

Send a message via AIM to Laharu Send a message via MSN to Laharu
rap never. Hip Hop surprises me sometimes. So as a general principle, no to both, but hip hop on some occasions.
Laharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-01, 21:07   Link #57
Onibaba
"Nice, Takemoto!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laharu
rap never. Hip Hop surprises me sometimes. So as a general principle, no to both, but hip hop on some occasions.
Heh, this thread has pretty much turned into an (underground) hip-hop thread.

By the way, I've heard a couple singles from Lupe Fiasco's new album Food & Liquor (Coming out 9/19) and quite a few tracks suprised me; good shit. Deffinately gonna cop that when it comes out.
Old 2006-09-01, 21:28   Link #58
horsdhaleine
i miss japan!

rap is one style of singing hip hop right? well, i like hip-hop, but not too much.
horsdhaleine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-01, 22:47   Link #59
SilentKnight
Yukio Sumadera Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsdhaleine
rap is one style of singing hip hop right? well, i like hip-hop, but not too much.
wrong, almost every person that I have encountered makes this mistake.

So I guess I'll state it for the 897456987345876th time.

Hip Hop is the urban culture that the musical genre rap comes from.
Hip Hop is composed of four main elements, though in recent years the art of beatboxing has developed into somewhat of a fifth element of hip hop.
But anyways, the four main elements currently are:
1. Breakdancing/ B-boying
2. Grafitti artwork/ tagging
3. Turntable-ism
4. Emceeing/ Rapping

Rap is rap no matter how you look at it, people try to split rap from hip hop by defining rap as crunk, club, etc. and hip hop as more conscious stuff.
The proper way of dividing and categorizing rap however would be:
Rap is a part of hip hop, end of story. They're not different genres, they're different things period. Apples and oranges.
- If you want to get somewhat specific, you can divide rap into crunk, club, southern, conscious, political, gangster, abstract, etc.

And don't even bother dividing rap into a mainstream= whack and underground= talented type of classification. There's both good and bad artists in both the mainstream (Talib Kweli, Nas) and the underground (Apathy, JMT).
Old 2006-09-02, 04:25   Link #60
Efkie

Quote:
wrong, almost every person that I have encountered makes this mistake.

So I guess I'll state it for the 897456987345876th time.

Hip Hop is the urban culture that the musical genre rap comes from.
Hip Hop is composed of four main elements, though in recent years the art of beatboxing has developed into somewhat of a fifth element of hip hop.
But anyways, the four main elements currently are:
1. Breakdancing/ B-boying
2. Grafitti artwork/ tagging
3. Turntable-ism
4. Emceeing/ Rapping

Rap is rap no matter how you look at it, people try to split rap from hip hop by defining rap as crunk, club, etc. and hip hop as more conscious stuff.
The proper way of dividing and categorizing rap however would be:
Rap is a part of hip hop, end of story. They're not different genres, they're different things period. Apples and oranges.
- If you want to get somewhat specific, you can divide rap into crunk, club, southern, conscious, political, gangster, abstract, etc.

And don't even bother dividing rap into a mainstream= whack and underground= talented type of classification. There's both good and bad artists in both the mainstream (Talib Kweli, Nas) and the underground (Apathy, JMT).
I second that. Can I get an AMEN for Silent Knight ?

BTW. There are a lots of good rappers. Even the rappers I don't like have one or two songs that stay in your head and you mumble to them. However the world has changed. It seems like everything is more Image, then music. Hence, I don't have a favorite rapper anymore (look what happened to LL Cool J).

Therefore my interest goes out to the DJ's that are playing the records and doing something creative with it. Not DJ's Funkmaster Flex (he used to be good) , Clue or Kayslay.....but DJ's like Melo D, Avee, Spinbad, J-Rock, Neil Armstrong...

Whenever I bring a CD of them to work, people always ask where did I get this.

That's my 2 cents
Efkie is offline   Reply With Quote