AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-15, 09:31   Link #1
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Ghibli's stuff...

Don't know how to start this post... But I'm never watch any Ghibli's works before (laughs me) and want to start enjoying their stuff, so from where I should start ?

p.s : tororo and ponyo will be my least priority
Old 2010-05-15, 10:07   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

That depends on where your tastes lie. If you want something magical and adventurous then I suggest Nausicca, Princess Mononoke, The Cat Returns, Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away. If you want something more slice of life, then I suggest Whisper of the Heart, Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves. If you want full on heart crushing drama, then I recommend Grave of the Fireflies.
Old 2010-05-15, 10:10   Link #3
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
That depends on where your tastes lie. If you want something magical and adventurous then I suggest Nausicca, Princess Mononoke, The Cat Returns, Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away. If you want something more slice of life, then I suggest Whisper of the Heart, Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves. If you want full on heart crushing drama, then I recommend Grave of the Fireflies.
Everything this man has said, and I'll add Castle of Cagliostro, Porco Rosso and Future Boy Conan.
Old 2010-05-15, 10:17   Link #4
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Thanks for the respond, but you all little wrong there
I'm ask what i'm need to start first at begins to love Ghibli's works, and you all make me more confused here
This is one of the reason I'm never watch their stuff honestly.
Old 2010-05-15, 10:18   Link #5
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Thanks for the respond, but you all little wrong there
I'm ask what i'm need to start first at begins, and you all make me more confused here
Just put all the names into a hat and pick one out, then....
Old 2010-05-15, 10:38   Link #6
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well if say you wanted something that's simple and easy to watch, you could start with My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service.

If you want the more complex ones last, though Ghibli film's really aren't the complex, Nausicaa, Porco Rosso and Mononoke should be last.

Everything else you can watch in whatever order you want.
Old 2010-05-15, 10:48   Link #7
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

It really doesn't matter which film you start with. Just read up on them and see which one suits your taste. That, or just let us know what genres you're into, and we'll help you out.

Though if you actually wanted to go in an order, go with the year they were created. So you'd start with Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. You can check out that order over on wikipedia.
Old 2010-05-15, 11:09   Link #8
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Well, what I must say here... my preference is doesn't really matter here, I prefer I'm the one who adapt their works not search one" that' fit my preference at most. What I want is basically is the show which can make me adapt the "feel" of their works and make me wants try the others.

Btw if it can help...

I'm adore Summer Wars and TokiKake very much... But not really into 5cm
Old 2010-05-15, 11:30   Link #9
ash0ka

Send a message via AIM to ash0ka Send a message via MSN to ash0ka
Not a lot of people are into Pom Poko, but I personally loved it. My favorite is Castle in the Sky though. Amazing story, animation, love, action, corruption, war, etc... The movie has something for everyone.
Old 2010-05-15, 11:53   Link #10
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Well, what I must say here... my preference is doesn't really matter here, I prefer I'm the one who adapt their works not search one" that' fit my preference at most. What I want is basically is the show which can make me adapt the "feel" of their works and make me wants try the others.

Btw if it can help...

I'd say go with Laputa: Castle in the Sky first then, and see what you make of that.
Old 2010-05-15, 13:08   Link #11
lixuelai

Might as well start from Nausicaa. Technically it is not Studio Ghibli but it is Miyazaki's signature piece. In fact I suggest watching them in order of their production if genre does not matter much to you. You get to see how Ghibli films has evolved over the years.
Old 2010-05-15, 13:17   Link #12
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yeah i'd say go with in the order of creation, though i just thought of Castle in the Sky going by the OP's most recent post. Either way, both paths work.
Old 2010-05-15, 15:25   Link #13
LeoXiao
思想工作

Castle in the Sky is my favorite, but they're all quite entertaining. I didn't like Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle all that much (they weren't bad though, mind you) for some reason, but that's just my view.

Oh and I second Pom Poko. It's kinda long and weird sometimes, but it's fairly interesting and funny.
Old 2010-05-15, 16:25   Link #14
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Thank you all, I'm guess I will start with Nausicaa or Castle in the Sky first and then go with order of creation date.

once again thanks
Old 2010-05-15, 20:19   Link #15
ash0ka

Send a message via AIM to ash0ka Send a message via MSN to ash0ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Castle in the Sky is my favorite, but they're all quite entertaining. I didn't like Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle all that much (they weren't bad though, mind you) for some reason, but that's just my view.

Oh and I second Pom Poko. It's kinda long and weird sometimes, but it's fairly interesting and funny.
I loved Spirited Away. It was the first art book I purchased. I have a goal to own all the art books for his films.

Perhaps those two didn't work out for you because they weren't really his traditional style? Most of his work is hand drawn, colored/painted, etc... Whereas Howl's and Spirited Away were mostly done with computers, I believe.... Don't quote me on that though.

However, much respect to loving Pom Poko. Those raccoons and their pouches made me so very happy.
Old 2010-05-15, 20:26   Link #16
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Actually, with this in mind, I would suggest Whisper of the Heart, then. It's the one plastered on my sig and avatar.

But order of creation is fine too...though for me, the strongest are in the middle.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2010-05-16, 05:26   Link #17
Albafica
Pisces no saint

I love Miyazaki's movies, my favourites are: Mononoke Hime (the first!), My Neighbor Totoro and Laputa!