Any thoughts on Faecbook's IPO?
Yeah, dotcom bubble version 2.
Old 2012-05-20, 02:25   Link #21522
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Any thoughts on Faecbook's IPO?

Personally, I think it's way overvalued. 100 times it's yearly earnings! I don't see how Facebook can do much more to increase it's earnings, certainly not enough to merit it's valuation.

I foresee it falling hard.
It certainly does not merit such valuation. Besides the P/E ratio, I also have a hard time imagining that Facebook can grow beyond what it is now. And if it does not, its revenues will stagnate, which really counts as a failure for a tech company. Like Zynga and Groupon before it, Facebook's stock will eventually drop to where it belongs.
Old 2012-05-20, 04:43   Link #21523
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I can't be the only one eagerly awaiting in to crash like the Hindenburg with a grin like...

Old 2012-05-20, 07:25   Link #21524
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I find the fact that it's valued higher then Disney to be particularly absurd.

I mean Disney controls half the USA's TV and movies (through it's subsidiaries), how can Facebook be worth more then that?

I expect Facebook to lose at least half it's value. Maybe even 90% (if it's growth rates fall to those of "regular" companies).

In the past, Facebook had the benefit of the potential to grow it's user base, it can't really do that anymore...
Old 2012-05-20, 08:37   Link #21525
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

IMO opinion Facebook will s-l-o-w-l-y start to charge for their service, they will try to hide is as an upgrade but on the long run they want people to pay for what nowadays they have for free. Which is quite logical since people are ADDICTED to facebook, they can no longer live without it.

Last edited by mangamuscle; 2012-05-20 at 09:10.
Old 2012-05-20, 08:47   Link #21526
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

They might start charging companies, but normal users? Not a chance. Their whole business relies on nearly everyone using them. They can't afford to have the new, still penniless generation to not get addicted.
Old 2012-05-20, 08:57   Link #21527
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I barely use FB as it is, if they charged for it I wouldn't even bother to look at it at all.

FB gets a cut from all the game currency doesn't it? So in a way, they are charging people already.
Old 2012-05-20, 09:03   Link #21528
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I can't be the only one eagerly awaiting in to crash like the Hindenburg with a grin like...

I am looking forward to make money from it.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-05-20, 09:15   Link #21529
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
They can't afford to have the new, still penniless generation to not get addicted.
Facebook does not need the new generation to get addicted, nowadays facebook is on the level of drinking, smoking and all the "cool" things a teenager wants to do that only adults can, they will do whatever they can (beg their parents, get a job, steal) to get into the "cool" options in facebook.
Old 2012-05-20, 09:48   Link #21530
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

It would be interesting to know how many of FB's users are "active", I have an account, but I rarely use it. Many of you guys seem to be similiar.

I basically keep my FB account as something akin to being listed in the telephone book. It's a way for people to find me and contact me.

In terms of regular contact, I quickly switch to email and chat.
Old 2012-05-20, 10:44   Link #21531
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Lockerbie bomber Megrahi has died in Libya: brother
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...84J05H20120520

Syria tensions light fuse in north Lebanon
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...84F0K720120516
Old 2012-05-20, 11:01   Link #21532
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

With regards to Facebook, the price looks as though it is not going to move anymore.

And I missed the short-selling period. FML. Btw, whoever is handling their counter is a pretty smart bastard, between 12pm-3pm he/she is stop-hunting all the way.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:22   Link #21533
Zakoo

Think to all the people who bought action for 45$ to see it fell to 38$ the afternoon and grieve with them or not
Old 2012-05-20, 11:24   Link #21534
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Think to all the people who bought action for 45$ to see it fell to 38$ the afternoon.........
Someone wants to treat me to dinner for that. What should I ask for?

Old 2012-05-20, 11:26   Link #21535
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Isn't it like this with all those hyped up IPO's?

The guys a sitting directly at the markets, with super low delay, direct access get first dibs, then they cash in on all the gullible masses that bought into the media hype.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:28   Link #21536
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post

The guys a sitting directly at the markets, with super low delay, direct access get first dibs, then they cash in on all the gullible masses that bought into the media hype.
"A fool and his money are soon parted"

Last edited by mangamuscle; 2012-05-20 at 11:43.
Old 2012-05-20, 12:12   Link #21537
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post

Yeah. Watch it when those big boys selling off their stuff after 10.30am, then go off for lunch at 12pm. The fools buy back in and the short-sellers step in to earn extra cash all the way until 3pm, where the big boys came back in and dump whatever leftover shares they have.

If Goldman Sachs are the ones handling the fund, I must say that whoever the fund manager is the person is a fucking smart asshole. He knows it is May and the spirit of selling is high (sell-in-May), and any stock IPO-ing would likely be brought back to the ground no matter what because people are looking to earn quick bucks by short-selling, or the other fund managers looking to a quick beautification of their portfolios; there is no better way to earn money than through any hyped-up shit in May.

Old 2012-05-20, 12:20   Link #21538
Sumeragi
Banned

*Whistles as she counts her cash*
Old 2012-05-20, 12:25   Link #21539
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
*Whistles as she counts her cash*
Glad to know the most of the people around me who have time on the action decided to be evil for the greater good.

Old 2012-05-20, 12:29   Link #21540
Sumeragi
Banned

I'm on to go on the offensive and enlarge my portfolio.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international