AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you hate Shizuru's dubbed voice?
Yes! Shizuru, you poor soul, what've they done to you?? 45 37.19%
It's awsome, are you people crazy? 24 19.83%
I don't care, as long as I don't have to watch with subtitles. 14 11.57%
I'll do anyhting to avoid hearing this dubbed voice! I've been traumatized enough, thanks. 38 31.40%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-16, 04:55   Link #101
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
italian ? let's see
Old 2006-06-16, 07:12   Link #102
Efreeta
Secret gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiKyo
italian ? let's see
Oh, I think there aren't Italian versions of Mai HiME planned for the near future... no risk for the moment.
Even if Italian dubbed versions of several anime aren't bad, IMHO. Some voice actors have a lot of experience in the field and are anime fans themselves.
Old 2006-06-16, 18:59   Link #103
ShinigamiRukia
Ketchup Drinker

Send a message via MSN to ShinigamiRukia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efreeta
Oh, I think there aren't Italian versions of Mai HiME planned for the near future... no risk for the moment.
Even if Italian dubbed versions of several anime aren't bad, IMHO. Some voice actors have a lot of experience in the field and are anime fans themselves.
Well, thats good =D

Thanks mangalowres for the avatar ^^
Thanks vandakiara
for the sig. ^^
Old 2006-08-14, 20:23   Link #104
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
Now, here's a short clip of the German dub.
What to say..? Have.. fun..?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-aF8bn14mpE

Edit: This video has been removed at the request of copyright owner Sunrise, Inc. because its content was used without permission
Lol, Youtube.

*dies*

(I'm uploading a .mkv video file with the Japanese, English, French and German dub right now. It's about 4 mins long and shows most of the important characters. Grabbed that at a German forum )
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M7TLKW5N

(I hope it's okay to post this here?)

Last edited by niwasatou; 2006-08-19 at 15:03.
Old 2006-08-15, 02:39   Link #105
Tremalkinger
Hai, Nao-oneesama!

I come to find out info on the OVA and look what I find. I was merely wincing until the final few seconds of the german dub. Then I began to laugh and cry at the same time.

Mai: Hey Mikutuuuuu. Hast du dich ein shieden?

Mikoto and Natsuki's voice sounded equally horrifying. The american dub looks pretty darn good by comparison (but still bad ).
Old 2006-08-15, 03:06   Link #106
USCPharmacist

Oh shit...I am scare now. I don't know a single word of German and I thought the voices were pretty good....but if the Germans think it's bad, who's to say that all those so call wonderful japanese voice acting were not just an illusion caused by my unfamiliarity with the language.
Old 2006-08-15, 03:15   Link #107
Tremalkinger
Hai, Nao-oneesama!

The german voices aren't terrible, except for Mikoto's and Natsuki's (each of them delivered only a single line, so you might have missed them). It was only the way that Mai pronounced Mikoto's name that made me laugh so.

And now, I'll present you with my vaguely informed opinions of the American VAs, based on the downloaded clip.

Mai - Considering what crap the rest of the cast is... not too bad. She fails to capture the emotion of the scene a majority of the time, but she doesn't have any real mind blowingly bad gaffes in the scenes I saw.

Takumi - Not too bad, actually. Again, doesn't capture the feeling of the character very well, but delivers his lines well and avoids anything too horrible.

Yuuichi - His voice fits the part, but he delivers all of his lines in a flat, sort of 'Am I almost done with this stupid voice acting role' tone that completely ruins what could have been one of the better dubbed voices.

Shiho - The good news is, she has a vague idea of what kind of inflections to put into the character's voice. The bad news is, she sounds like a thirty year old woman who smokes two packs a day. I give the voice actress credit for effort, but her voice completely destroys any believability.

Nagi - A slight notch above laughably bad in every catagory. Very unfit voice for the part, little emotion, and completely incorrect attitude all in one beautiful package.

Haruka - I'll admit this role is very challenging to pull off. The voice actress gives a valent effort, but isn't up to the task. Gets points for not being screechy and annoying though.

Reito - Woah. Just woah. Lacks any traces of Reito's charm, but what's worse, he sounds like he is in his forties. Oh god, make it stop.

Shizuru - Fails at every level. Even ignoring the horrible decision to translate Kansai-ben into a southern accent (a problem at the director's level, not the VA), she doesn't even remotely understand the emotion of the scene or her character. Also, her southern accent sounds forced and tacky. "Toe Key Hah". Tokiha is NOT three individual words, so don't put pauses between them as if they were such. Ugh.

Chii - Hey! In the short time I heard her, she sounded really good. She captured Chii's attitude perfectly, and delivered the lines naturally.

Aoi - Sounds too old for her role, but decent otherwise.

Yukino - A difficult role to capture, and the VA did an excellent job.

Natsuki - Mearly okay across the board... not much to say besides that. Tough act to follow, but the voice acting lacked any real impact at all.

Yukariko - No. Just no. The voice doesn't work at all for the part, even if the tones are correct. Shame, really. Lump this girl into the same catagory as Shiho's VA.

Mashiro - Not terrible, not impressive.

Fumi - Why in gods name does Fumi's voice actress sound YOUNGER than both Shiho and Mikoto? Please someone explain this to me. She's not great, but she'd do a better job in either of the above two roles than as Fumi, if only because of her age.

Mikoto - Sounds like she's a late high schooler, and utterly fails to capture Mikoto's (admittely tough) character. Still not quite as bad as Shiho.

Midori - Another voice actress in the role of a twenties something girl who sounds younger than both Shiho and Mikoto. Actually, has a very nice voice and delivers her lines well. Another crappy casting decision.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks
Hey hey hey, at least you get a T-shirt.
Yeah... I was strongly considering picking up the series just so I could rip the raw video out of the DVDs for AMV footage. Looking at the T-shirt, I realized they spelled the name of the school wrong. It's Fuuka, not Fuka. Sounds like something small and petty, but for some reason it really bugged me. That, combined with all of the crap I heard about it, made me just bite the bullet and use the raws you provide. Not that they're bad, but ripping and encoding DVDs allows me much more freedom in how the footage looks. Anyway, the raws you provide are pretty darn good, so I didn't mind

Last edited by Tremalkinger; 2006-08-15 at 03:25.
Old 2006-08-15, 07:38   Link #108
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremalkinger
I come to find out info on the OVA and look what I find. I was merely wincing until the final few seconds of the german dub. Then I began to laugh and cry at the same time.

Mai: Hey Mikutuuuuu. Hast du dich ein shieden?

Mikoto and Natsuki's voice sounded equally horrifying. The american dub looks pretty darn good by comparison (but still bad ).
Yeah, I banged my head down on the table when I heard that..
Or what about that part:
"Miirokuuu!"

Nagi's voice was just indescribably wrong. And Tate's.. I heard that one like dozens of times on TV already.
I'll listen to the other dubs now.
(Yep, suicide.)

Last edited by niwasatou; 2006-08-15 at 13:54.
Old 2006-08-15, 07:51   Link #109
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
WTF is this Horrible Dub???
But it's more nothing than Midori dub French...
When she cried, she not cried Gakutenou but GATOUKENOU...
And it's more nothing... Spiral Dash Dokan became : DEFERLANTE DASH DOUKAN...
Not nothing, the priest who talk on US: talk in JAP-US to 15 secondes like JAP but French Priest speak 5 secondes on Full totally random JAP... T_T
Old 2006-08-15, 09:15   Link #110
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks
hey i took the liberty of ripping her voice, but i dunno how anal you guys are about having a link to it here... but here goes :P

Shizuru

if you want me to remove it, then i will. thanks
The link works no more. Is that meant to be?

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
Old 2006-08-16, 13:43   Link #111
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

I wanted to hear the dubbed version before judging it, but it sucked so much that I couldn't bear to finish it! Their prounounciation of names sucks: ignorance of American dubb casts. Haruka's voice was so nasily...dear lord, why you'd think any of them could pull it off is beyond me!

They'll hire anyone for the dubbed version of Mai Hime...this is living proof! Can't wait to see how they brutalize Mai Otome if it falls into their hands too! *sarcasm majorly implied*
Old 2006-08-16, 13:52   Link #112
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazakura
I wanted to hear the dubbed version before judging it, but it sucked so much that I couldn't bear to finish it! Their prounounciation of names sucks: ignorance of American dubb casts. Haruka's voice was so nasily...dear lord, why you'd think any of them could pull it off is beyond me!

They'll hire anyone for the dubbed version of Mai Hime...this is living proof! Can't wait to see how they brutalize Mai Otome if it falls into their hands too! *sarcasm majorly implied*
Arika wouldn't be Arika, she'd be Erica..
Old 2006-08-16, 13:58   Link #113
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwasatou
Arika wouldn't be Arika, she'd be Erica..
Holy shit, the horror of it all! It'd really be A-RI-KA. Could we get some correct prounounciation with those fries?
Old 2006-08-16, 14:57   Link #114
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Holy Shit
I have a lot of problem with My DVD2 Of My HIME...
French Substitle Of Ep 7 appear on All Omake ! T_T
Old 2006-08-18, 04:18   Link #115
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazakura

Apparently Ocean Group's ADR Director was trying to get as much feedback on character traights and other issues from Bandai's US producer but since that producer was stuck on another priority project, he wasn't able to get back to him...so Ocean had to wing it with what ever little info they obtained.

--Lone Wolf
Old 2006-08-18, 12:01   Link #116
Tremalkinger
Hai, Nao-oneesama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf
Apparently Ocean Group's ADR Director was trying to get as much feedback on character traights and other issues from Bandai's US producer but since that producer was stuck on another priority project, he wasn't able to get back to him...so Ocean had to wing it with what ever little info they obtained.

--Lone Wolf
Maybe he should watch the fan subs.

I'm being serious, by the way.
Old 2006-08-18, 18:11   Link #117
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremalkinger
Maybe he should watch the fan subs.

I'm being serious, by the way.
They were provided with Master copies and a directly translated script which is more or less like watching a fansub....that doesn't help much.

A *good* actor or VA would research their role *if they know what their "motivation" was...unfortunately Ocean Group didn't know what their "motivation" was.

For example, what makes Natsuki tick? Or her reaction to certain things like certain dilemma's. Japanese people, as do other people from other nations would react differently from a westerner.

What they needed was material from a Japanese native on how to react to certain situations. A couple ADR dubbing production studios actually do this but their are plenty that don't due to a number of things. Not having a bilingual Japanese speaker who's quite familiar with the series is one. ADR studios who actually have this luxury would be provided with the proper technique of the following: Pronunciation of Nihongo terms and phonetics and indepth background on characters.

--Lone Wolf
Old 2006-08-18, 21:30   Link #118
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
I get this feeling that these VAs are new to the industry.
Old 2006-08-19, 00:43   Link #119
Zelene2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwasatou
Now, here's a short clip of the German dub.
What to say..? Have.. fun..?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-aF8bn14mpE

*dies*

(I'm uploading a .mkv video file with the Japanese, English, French and German dub right now. It's about 4 mins long and shows most of the important characters. Grabbed that at a German forum )
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M7TLKW5N

(I hope it's okay to post this here?)
It was horrible!!! She sounded really old.
Old 2006-08-19, 15:02   Link #120
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

Truthfully, I was too scared to go on after hearing Yukino and Haruka's dub . I heard them before Shizuru and Natsuki's dub in the third DVD and that's what sent me a runnin'!
Closed Thread