AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-19, 11:13   Link #21
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
On Love Triangles - A well-executed Love Triangle (i.e. one where there's real doubt as to who will end up with who) is a beautiful thing (check out True Tears for an example of this). But a Love Triangle where the final pairing seems nothing less than predestined is a tiresome thing (check out Aquarion EVOL for examples of this ).

I'll take a simple straight-up romance over a weak Love Triangle. If, for example, Mayaka has absolutely no chance with Houtarou, I'd rather her not be shown to be interested in him. And for it to be just straight-up Houtarou/Eru romance.

Now, if they can make me think that Mayaka has a real chance with Houtarou, then go for it. Otherwise, don't bother.
Old 2012-05-19, 15:57   Link #22
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

The intention I had when I said "worry" was more about, if you want to see them together, there maybe an event that will pull them apart in the future rather than a third person to make it a triangle. Two examples of such stories on top of my head are
Spoiler for Haruhi v9 and 5cm/s:

I think this could happen, as while both Eru and Houtarou are comfortable with each other, I think neither will make a move toward being in a relationship.
Old 2012-05-20, 19:25   Link #23
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Send a message via MSN to linkinstreet Send a message via Yahoo to linkinstreet
She is more likely to force him into a relationship, citing she is curious about it XD
Old 2012-05-21, 01:37   Link #24
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinstreet View Post
She is more likely to force him into a relationship, citing she is curious about it XD
It would be easy to set it up. Just get Satoshi to start a rumour that dating Houtarou will result in something mysterious.

Cheers.
Old 2012-05-21, 04:44   Link #25
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
With how Houtarou is developing it shouldn't be that tough to get him and Chitanda together eventually.

Just need her to call him out for the more normal kind of confession and see what happens.
Old 2012-05-21, 07:09   Link #26
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

I think it's the mysteries that will divulge Chitanda and Oreki's relationships. While mystery will make them closer, I think it's those same mysteries that will cause Oreki to focus more on them than on Chitanda.

Just saying.
Or you could bash me and break my hopes epicly.
Old 2012-05-21, 08:57   Link #27
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
On Love Triangles - A well-executed Love Triangle (i.e. one where there's real doubt as to who will end up with who) is a beautiful thing (check out True Tears for an example of this). But a Love Triangle where the final pairing seems nothing less than predestined is a tiresome thing (check out Aquarion EVOL for examples of this ).

I'll take a simple straight-up romance over a weak Love Triangle. If, for example, Mayaka has absolutely no chance with Houtarou, I'd rather her not be shown to be interested in him. And for it to be just straight-up Houtarou/Eru romance.

Now, if they can make me think that Mayaka has a real chance with Houtarou, then go for it. Otherwise, don't bother.
I definitely agree. When there's an obvious pairing in a love triangle, the third wheel often is either abused (not literally) by the author for the sake of getting the two together, or she becomes really antagonistic, and I really don't like seeing either with characters I like.
Old 2012-05-21, 16:21   Link #28
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
I definitely agree. When there's an obvious pairing in a love triangle, the third wheel often is either abused (not literally) by the author for the sake of getting the two together, or she becomes really antagonistic, and I really don't like seeing either with characters I like.
Which would make for a rather interesting Love triangle, huh?

What if Mayaka is tired of always being shunned by Satoshi and is charmed by Oreki's tsundere personality?

Just a thought

Arturia

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Old 2012-05-21, 17:15   Link #29
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Judging from episode 5, I feel that Chitanda is not interested in Houtarou romantically at all. She's only intrigued by his amazing abilities.

Especially when compared to Mayaka's behaviour around Satoshi (I really love those little details like a jab to the middle or the blush after the bump).
Old 2012-05-21, 20:52   Link #30
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
Judging from episode 5, I feel that Chitanda is not interested in Houtarou romantically at all. She's only intrigued by his amazing abilities.

Especially when compared to Mayaka's behaviour around Satoshi (I really love those little details like a jab to the middle or the blush after the bump).
Well most of us aren't actually expecting them to dive into romance so quickly, if at all.

But for now it's fine.
Old 2012-05-21, 20:54   Link #31
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post

Agreed. Whatever romantic feelings there are between Eru and Houtarou; they're pretty much one-way. We see all sorts of imagery of infatuation and attraction, but it's all in Houtarou's head. The seeming extent of Eru's personal interest in him is that he might have the deductive might necessary to help her remember what her uncle said to her. Her invasion of his personal space and her use of her HYPNOTOAD powers looks like it ended the moment he agreed to help her in her quest.
Old 2012-05-22, 01:35   Link #32
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

I think neither of them has romantic interest. They're merely comfortable around each other at this point. The reason it seems one-way is focalization. I have to check the novel, but it seems to me that we're viewing this story through Houtarou. I think Eru is as fascinated by his intelligent as much as he is charmed by her behavior. However, their relationship is the type in which they would look like a perfect couple from a third person point of view, but they themselves has no interest in risking the current relationship, because the status quo is "good enough."
Old 2012-05-30, 00:05   Link #33
Qilin
Romanticist

Episode 5 kinda portrayed her character in a different light, which is sort of refreshing.

From the previous four episodes, I became accustomed to the idea of her as the most simplistic (read: one dimensional) character of the show with her avid curiosity as her sole defining characteristic. But here, we find that there might be something deeper about her.

So yeah. I'd say the latest episode wasn't as much a waste for me as it was most since it managed to salvage such a flat character in my eyes. That said, all the episode did was raise my expectations towards Chitanda Eru's character. If the show ends up betraying my hopes for her, it'll just end up as a huge waste.

As for romantic possibilities, I don't think she and Houtarou are quite there yet. I can maybe see it coming far, far off, but there's hardly anything to discuss at this point.
Old 2012-05-30, 00:50   Link #34
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
The question of their potential relationship really does make me wonder. She does seem to be more fired up about the mysteries than anything else, but at the same time could see things developing. She can only keep on returning to the well for answers so often before she thinks about the person she's going to. Besides helping answer the question of her Uncle has to mean a lot. Could be the first step that starts a lot of things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
I think it's the mysteries that will divulge Chitanda and Oreki's relationships. While mystery will make them closer, I think it's those same mysteries that will cause Oreki to focus more on them than on Chitanda.

Just saying.
Or you could bash me and break my hopes epicly.
Well if it comes to the mystery vs Chitanda I'm less worried about that being the main issue. It seems like satisfying Chitanda has remained the main motivation for his efforts. Could see your point since there was a hint of the mystery being a bit more important when he went back to his old theory. Still I can't see Houtarou being so interested in mysteries that he'd ignore Chitanda in the process, just don't see it from his character.
Old 2012-05-30, 08:03   Link #35
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

I kind of appreciate how 'ki ni narimasu' isn't just a catch-phrase, but doubles as a condensed character bio.
Old 2012-07-08, 09:28   Link #36
Candyshark

I'm torn on Hyouka Oreki's self awerness is what keeps me interested, but Eru's behaivour is what deprives of satisfaction. As highly skeptical person for me her curiousity is on level of three years old. It would not surprise me if she asks something like "why sky is blue, why is so bright, why elephants don't fly?" By no means I want to call her stupid, but for her enthusiasm she shows little resourcefullness. It makes me very detached from her character. Even Mayaka seems more believable and close to me than Eru.

Another problem is seeing how Oreki is not "concrete" in his own believes about him being normal and just having luck I have little justification in Eru's intrusive behaivour. Anime tries to capitalise on it as much Eru's sparkle mode. Let the opportunity to drag himself out of trouble and pat on the haed he will glow as bulb.

I should lurk this forum maybe there a few posts that shed more light on her and points that I missed so hopefully I can change my opinion.
Old 2012-07-08, 11:39   Link #37
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

I think it's fair that you feel Eru is just there being a moeblob, to put it bluntly. I can certainly see why, but of course I disagree.

She commented on herself that she understand the parts, but not the system. She said she lacks the ability to put them together. So she probably won't ask questions along those lines.

Another things is most of her questions are about people. If we recalled, most of the time, the hard part which Houtarou has to work out is not what happened, but why someone do it. This is pretty prominent in episode 7. Remember that her question started from "Why did I get angry?" to "Why did the teacher get angry?" That's where her curiosity lies. I think it's in contrast to what usually a mystery show is about. (I'm no expert on mystery, please feel free to point it out if I'm wrong here.) For most of the time, the characters try to figure out what happen, who did it, etc. The motive is, a lot of times, almost an afterthought. Eru is here to flip the priority, I think.

On the other hand, she herself is probably one of the biggest mystery of the show. Indeed, why is she such a curiosity monster?

Last edited by Hyper; 2012-07-08 at 13:28. Reason: Fix some glaring mistake.
Old 2012-07-08, 12:34   Link #38
Triple_R
*Author

I think that Eru has lived a pretty sheltered life. I think that would at least partly explain/justify her personality and actions.

Plus, one of the things anime is known for is very eccentric teenage girl characters.

I think that what hurts Eru (in the eyes of some viewers) is that she seems to lack the complexity of other named female characters in this show. But that does work both ways: The contrast makes her seem less interesting in some contexts, but more charming/amusing in others.
Old 2012-07-08, 18:50   Link #39
Candyshark

The keyword in my complain is resourcefullness as soon as somethign catches her attention she immediately jumps in Oerki's face. Just think for a second yourself, gosh! The statement I wrote above was prior watching 11 episode. Her going a step further than rope missing out of equation was amazing. So that made a small click for me.

I might be harsh on the gal but I blame the show with its consistncy and good execution:P
Old 2012-07-08, 18:57   Link #40
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyshark View Post
The keyword in my complain is resourcefullness as soon as somethign catches her attention she immediately jumps in Oerki's face. Just think for a second yourself, gosh!
Ah, that's what bothers you.

I admit that I've felt much the same about Eru a couple times. The one big time for me was when Eru asked Oreki "Why was I angry?" (back during the teacher screw-up episode that was several episodes back)

But personally, I honestly think she gets turned on by watching Oreki solve mysteries for her. She probably could figure out some of these mysteries herself, but watching Oreki do it is more thrilling for her.

Tags
characters