Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Re:Zero

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2016-06-05, 17:11   Link #1561
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Another cliffhanger . Well this one isn't as bad though as last week. At this point there isn't much doubt about Subaru getting through this. Has just gotten way too involved with Rem and Ram to start over from several days ago. So they just have to get through this situation.

At least the reason for Emilia not tagging along makes sense. Literally drained herself dry just saving Subaru from his injuries. Nothing left in the tank after that for a fight in the same day. Still hope she gets more involved in the next big arc though.

No idea how to read that flashback from Ram. Though no shocker that an event that lead to the loss of her horn would be pretty extreme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
While that might be true, that doesn't change the fact that these girls aren't actually demons.

Also, 'mabeast' is really just them turning -juu into -beast while leaving the ma- untouched. How's that minimizing a Japanese term?
To be fair if we looked at the standard image of an Oni....they don't look like that either. Just regular people with energy horns that appear, but aren't there all the time. It'd just be simpler to translate it as Oni, but such is.

I don't care for the mabeast bit either. But....hard to really argue it's not minimizing the Japanese term. The bigger part of that word is the English translation of beast so it is definitely minimizing the Japanese term.
Old 2016-06-05, 17:11   Link #1562
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Still in non-eastern stile fantasy they are always out of place. They could have adapted this instead of being lazy with translation.
Old 2016-06-05, 17:40   Link #1563
Requiem-x
The slacking one

I was hoping this episode would bring the series' quality up back after the iffy affair last week, and the fact tha my first thoughts when the title popped up were "huh? so soon?", I can say it was a smashing success. Gotta say I didn't expect Subaru to use his own default "curse" to his advantage here, which honestly impressed me. Of course, I also didn't expect his final move: Ram toss! I was actually even more impressed by that, since I thought it would be something much dumber, and perverted (man, what Ram-like way of thinking I had there).

Great episode, with lots of action. Glad to see so far Re:zero always manages to bounce back and hit it, much like Subaru himself.
Old 2016-06-05, 17:43   Link #1564
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
You know, the most strange thing here that they kept totally out of place honorifics for this anime but translated all other "Japanese" things. Why the hell?
That at least makes sense because his usage of honorifics has been directly acknowledged in the narrative by the other characters on occasion.
It's out of place because Subaru himself is from a different place.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2016-06-05 at 17:55.
Old 2016-06-05, 17:52   Link #1565
Hakai

Re:cliffhanger.

Rem-rin is getting more and more loveable, didn't think Emilia would have any competition as my favorite girl in this whole season, now she got one from her own show.
Old 2016-06-05, 18:09   Link #1566
ssvb

Quote:
Am I the only one who feels bothered by the use of the word 'demon' in the translation? I mean I'm not the Japanese expert here, but it just feels wrong to name her species after something that is inherently evil.
Considering that each of the twins only had one horn, they might be not very representative specimen. It has been also mentioned that Oni usually have two horns, and single-horned ones had been looked upon as cripples. Also Rem is already demonstrating lack of control and violent temper, while having just a single horn. I would not be very surprised if real full-fledged two-horned Oni are in fact rather evil creatures in this world.
Old 2016-06-05, 18:18   Link #1567
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Puck had me rolling with his re-enactment with Subaru's mauling, and I almost burst out laughing when Barasu threw Ram in the air like that. Him using the "Return" side-effect to his advantage was pretty smart. If only Ram was able to use her wind magic a little bit longer.

But yeah, I'm ready for this arc to be over.
Old 2016-06-05, 18:24   Link #1568
Harbinger
Squirrel Master

Short, but glorious episode
Old 2016-06-05, 19:06   Link #1569
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Quote:
Am I the only one who feels bothered by the use of the word 'demon' in the translation? I mean I'm not the Japanese expert here, but it just feels wrong to name her species after something that is inherently evil.

People have successfully used 'Ogre' to translate the word 'Oni' before. Although seeing how we're dealing with small girls it feels like that doesn't really apply either.. Why not just stick to 'Oni'?
Because not everyone understands what "oni" means. Demon is simply a generic term that encompasses what an oni is.

As far as good or evil, Rem and Ram are about as evil as Goz and Mez from Dragon Ball. Keep in mind that while they did appear "good", they still reside in hell.
Old 2016-06-05, 19:49   Link #1570
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
One of Crunchyroll's translation policies has always been to minimize Japanese terms in their scripts.
How is "ogre" any less of a minimization than "demon"? The term is far more accurate. Demons are beings from hell that act out of hatred and a desire to bring people to ruin; they may be violent, but they're still purposeful. And no matter what they're supernatural beings from a separate realm. Ogres, like oni, are a race supposedly alive in our world, and they're not so much evil as savage. Sort of like Klingons on steroids. This focus on power and unfocused savagery is far closer to an ogre than a demon. And like others have said (and I said last episode), "mabeast" is just really dumb, translating one word while leaving the other alone just made the name silly. If they're that into minimizing, why couldn't they have said "magic beasts"?

On a side note, I'm sad to say I feel I might seriously need to recant some protests I made earlier about how being shy and holding back from everyone doesn't equate to being an outsider. That is to say, we saw all of the other kids recovering and recovered, but I don't believe we saw HER.
Old 2016-06-05, 20:07   Link #1571
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Puck had me rolling with his re-enactment with Subaru's mauling, and I almost burst out laughing when Barasu threw Ram in the air like that. .
I laughed when I saw Ram's face while flying through the air. She just looks like she completely resigned herself to what was going on.
Old 2016-06-05, 20:35   Link #1572
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
How is "ogre" any less of a minimization than "demon"? The term is far more accurate. Demons are beings from hell that act out of hatred and a desire to bring people to ruin; they may be violent, but they're still purposeful. And no matter what they're supernatural beings from a separate realm. Ogres, like oni, are a race supposedly alive in our world, and they're not so much evil as savage. Sort of like Klingons on steroids. This focus on power and unfocused savagery is far closer to an ogre than a demon. And like others have said (and I said last episode), "mabeast" is just really dumb, translating one word while leaving the other alone just made the name silly. If they're that into minimizing, why couldn't they have said "magic beasts"
You misunderstood me. It was an argument against oni, not against ogre.
Old 2016-06-05, 20:42   Link #1573
Xical
Phantom User

You know, there is one thing that don't add again, and that thing is related to the kids again.
Old 2016-06-05, 20:46   Link #1574
Iron Maw
Banned

Eh, what thing?
Old 2016-06-05, 20:52   Link #1575
Xical
Phantom User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Eh, what thing?
How many Subaru saved last episode?
How many showed in this one?
Old 2016-06-05, 20:58   Link #1576
Iron Maw
Banned

Oh you mean that one of the kids is missing from small reunion? The blue haired girl right? I would suppose that Subaru isn't very close to her. IIRC it was mentioned last week she was shy.
Old 2016-06-05, 21:02   Link #1577
Elestia

She is kind of suspicious considering she is the one who was always handling the puppy or introducing it to Subaru.. She could be the true mastermind behind this incident.
Old 2016-06-05, 21:14   Link #1578
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
EDIT: Now for the best scene in epiosde: Flying Ram!

http://imgur.com/C7qwe5N (full gif)

(Please don't hurt Subaru too badly Ram. )
Thank you very much for this.
Old 2016-06-05, 21:23   Link #1579
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
How is "ogre" any less of a minimization than "demon"? The term is far more accurate. Demons are beings from hell that act out of hatred and a desire to bring people to ruin; they may be violent, but they're still purposeful. And no matter what they're supernatural beings from a separate realm. Ogres, like oni, are a race supposedly alive in our world, and they're not so much evil as savage. Sort of like Klingons on steroids. This focus on power and unfocused savagery is far closer to an ogre than a demon. And like others have said (and I said last episode), "mabeast" is just really dumb, translating one word while leaving the other alone just made the name silly. If they're that into minimizing, why couldn't they have said "magic beasts"?

On a side note, I'm sad to say I feel I might seriously need to recant some protests I made earlier about how being shy and holding back from everyone doesn't equate to being an outsider. That is to say, we saw all of the other kids recovering and recovered, but I don't believe we saw HER.
The problem is that Oni can also be beings from hell that torment the souls of the dead which may or may not become plot important, I have no clue since I have not read any of the source material.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
Old 2016-06-05, 22:02   Link #1580
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Are we still bickering about this? Demons are inherently evil? Not so according to hundreds other anime out there! We have goddamned demon lords working at McD's for Satan's sake. Also, you know "kyuuketsuki"? The Japanese of vampire? well, the "ki" part there is exactly the character "oni", and you tell me whether vampires are more "ogre" or "demon". (hint: vampires are often categorized as one of "mazoku" or "demon-race" in most Japanese fantasy).

Though I agree mabeast is dumb.

Tags
drama, fantasy