AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-08-09, 12:00   Link #881
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I love garrus and his people!

No homo of course...
Old 2011-08-09, 13:30   Link #882
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
Even though I agree the Quarians' decisions were amazingly poor and led to an almost complete annihilation of said race, hating them for this is like hating humanity itself. I don't believe we'd act any different in that kind of situation. Those that would warn us of the consequences in the long run would be marked as paranoid and corporations would lead us along the same path Quarians walked in ME. Even the human-centric Cerberus installed an AI on the second Normandy AFTER the whole Geth "incident". Countermeasures or not, the further development of this tech couldn't be predicted in any way, especially not when we're talking about Cerberus and their work ethics.

Food for thought from the other side of the issue - While the tech was illegal, EDI helped Shepard and his crew enough to be considered a valuable member of the team (even saving Shep from the collector vessel, whose second death would mean the end of all races (not going to consider him dying in ME2 and being replaced by another Shepard in ME3 as canon)). What does that make of the whole AI legal/illegal issue in the ME universe and what kind of shadow does it cast on Quarians for creating the Geth then?

But hey, let's find out ourselves, AI development is starting to bloom, give it a few generations and see how we behave.
I don't buy the "humanity would do the same" logic. Yes, there would be rampant discrimination. Murder, even. But there would also be plenty of support for the Geth to be treated as sentient beings. There certainly wouldn't be a global decision to commit genocide.

Diversity is one of humanity's defining qualities. The best and worst can be found among us quite easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
EDIT 2: I just had a bizarre thought... We know that the Geth are immune from Indoctrination, and could only be controlled via virus insertion. Perhaps the Reapers intentionally influenced galactic society into hating machines to prevent the widespread existence of AIs?
Not an impossible thought. Though there's no evidence to support the theory, we know that the manipulation of the reapers runs deep.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-09, 18:38   Link #883
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

I thought AI were only illegal after the Geth incident and before that they were perfectly legal or at least had no laws written against their existence?

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-09, 18:46   Link #884
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub-Sama View Post
I thought AI were only illegal after the Geth incident and before that they were perfectly legal or at least had no laws written against their existence?
The anti-AI laws exist before the Geth. That's sort of what got the Quarians kicked out of their Citadel Embassy.
Old 2011-08-09, 20:34   Link #885
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
take tali and legion on both of their loyalty missions and see how easy they are with two tech's i breezed through it
Zaeed + Miranda > Tali + Legion for any geth/synthetic-heavy mission. Sure, extra AI Hacking is useful, but not as useful as Squad Disruptor Ammo and Overload + Warp and biotic combos with Shepard (Pull detonating Unstable Warp is pretty damn awesome). Especially if Shepard's packing the arc projector. That thing wtfowns YMIR mechs and Geth Prime in short order.
Old 2011-08-09, 21:29   Link #886
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I dont enjoy Miranda's company.. I do bring Zaeed to blowin shit up friendly missions.
Old 2011-08-10, 01:09   Link #887
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Oddly enough I haven't had much issue with the Quarians. Maybe because when we do run into them the situation has already reached this point. A species living as permanent refugees in the universe. Needing to send their young people out to try and get technology that can help them survive. Without a doubt they royally screwed up in multiple ways. But now the question is moving ahead. Not too surprised that considering their current state a lot of thoughts are on going home, breaking some machines, and getting their planet back.

Obviously meeting Legion helped change some thoughts on things. Although still don't really care that much about the Geth. Thus lacking too much difficulty in blowing up that station. The situation with the Geth should be interesting though in the 3rd game. Finding a way to really resolve things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I don't buy the "humanity would do the same" logic. Yes, there would be rampant discrimination. Murder, even. But there would also be plenty of support for the Geth to be treated as sentient beings. There certainly wouldn't be a global decision to commit genocide.

Diversity is one of humanity's defining qualities. The best and worst can be found among us quite easily.
And I'm not so sure things would go well. Sure, you could probably find groups and people that would support for Geth being treated as sentient beings, but how many? Plus if enough decide to get rid of them then things could easily spiral out of control. No point debating rights if a full out war has broken out. Besides could go as simply as governments deciding to try and quietly stop this situation and things quickly getting out of hand. By the time a debate could even be had it might already be too late to have a chat about it.
Old 2011-08-10, 02:47   Link #888
killer3000ad

The New Yorker has a podcast with Jennifer Hale. Pretty interesting when the podcaster asks her to do some grunting sounds.
Old 2011-08-10, 06:57   Link #889
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Does she sa anything about Meer? or the new default fem?
Old 2011-08-16, 10:12   Link #890
killer3000ad

Some new screenies.

Old 2011-08-16, 10:14   Link #891
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Some new screenies.

Oh yeah, those screens came from that gameplay trailer they showed on the EA Gamescom live stream just now. Flaming Punch FTW

Quote:
THIS HAND OF MINE IS GLOWING BLUE, IT'S LOUD BUZZ TELLS ME TO DEFEAT YOU!!!!

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 10:18   Link #892
killer3000ad

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of HADOKEN!
Old 2011-08-16, 10:40   Link #893
Aqua Knight

When Shepard throws the grenade, he yells "FIRE IN THE HOLE"
Old 2011-08-16, 10:47   Link #894
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Oh, also... the Engineer class was mentioned to be the class with the flaming melee attack. And Shepard in the vid is clearly that class... carrying a Revenant.

How awesome is that?

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 11:11   Link #895
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Oh, also... the Engineer class was mentioned to be the class with the flaming melee attack. And Shepard in the vid is clearly that class... carrying a Revenant.

How awesome is that?
About as awesome as turret AND drone being out at the same time.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 11:15   Link #896
killer3000ad

The Gamescom trailer
Old 2011-08-16, 13:05   Link #897
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Quote:
The Gamescom trailer
Yeah, that Atlas definitely looks like it serves a purpose.

This game looks awesome, though. I really can't wait to get this.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 13:38   Link #898
Aqua Knight

So Liara was 1-hit-Koed??Covers are still kinda obvious with all those crates, metal things etc. And the EA logo coming up from the tech arm is awesome.
Old 2011-08-16, 17:04   Link #899
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Awesome footage. The new sniper rifle looks sick.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 22:50   Link #900
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post

How awesome is that?
Yeah, all classes can train in any weapon, but the less combat-heavy a class is, the fewer weapons they can carry at once. Soldiers are the only class that can carry one of every weapon type.

... I hope this means I can start my Vanguard off with assault rifle training right out of the gate. I'll pick up heavy pistols later.

Eviscerator (short range ownage) + Mattock (long range/high armor damage) + Locust (mid-range general purpose) = one happy Vanguard!

Tags
effect, games, mass