AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-13, 09:47   Link #26481
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
In many ways it's quite similar to archery, neither are really in-your-face about sheer physical power, but rather concentrate on the physical finesse.
The arrow is powered by the energy the archer put's in the bow, while a gun uses the explosive power of the propellant. I think that is a similar difference between cycling and motorbike racing.
Old 2013-02-13, 09:59   Link #26482
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Sure, but where is the physical fitness? As I (later edited in), an 8 months pregnant woman could compete in Olympic Shooting, with seemingly no negative consequences on her performance.

I would never have a hope of doing well in any Olympic Sport (due to being tremendously unfit), but with a lot of practice, I could do well in Shooting. My lack of any physical ability would not set me back. Sense of timing and self control is not the same as, say, the physical strength to throw a javelin.

EDIT: It's also not particularly great to watch. Certainly, between shooting and wrestling, I'd choose wrestling.
Shooting is not easy. It takes practice, practice and more practice. Hundreds and thousands of rounds in various conditions and weathers to make yourself one with the weapon that it becomes an extension of you, and nothing else. And drop that for some time, and you CAN go out of practice (I wonder if I still can do double-taps anymore, or even put headshots at 20m with a 9mm pistol, after 2 years of growing fat and sitting around. I still got that reflex for drawing a thigh pistol though).

It is much like archery and shooting hoops in basketball. It takes focus to aim, and focus comes from conditioning - that split moment where you have to wipe your mind and it is nothing but you and the target; you taste, smell, hear, see and feel it.

The reason why we have shooting is because the various ethics and philosophy deem HUNTING of other human beings immoral and unethical. Otherwise, these shooters would be allowed to cap each other in a random environment, sand, snow, jungle, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Auto-racing is far from not atheletic....Especially F1
Wait, so the human reflex is not counted as a physical strength?

I don't mind all the sports in the Olympics; the only two things that I am unhappy about are :

1. Mindless and ridiculous amount of advertising
2. No gladiatorial tournaments; I mean we fight with fists and grapple each other, why not we give them a whole choice of random melee weapons and see the sharpest mind and the strongest body on the planet be given a medal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Most likely those brats were the ones that escaped conscription. I always notice a difference between those who had been and who had not been in the military.
You won't see much of a difference for our guys. Cosplay is still one of my hobby, but I am more of a procurement person than the actual cosplayer anymore. Damn shoulders.

And I thought SK has a mandatory conscription like us? So how did they escape?

Quote:
Let's just say that the ROKMC is basically the elite of the regular forces, a special forces that is not a special force. It's an interesting concept, where you expect special-level training/abilities while using them as regular forces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Most military have a formation/unit that does that- the middle ground between 'Infantry' and 'Commandos'.
You mean direct action, raiding squadron like the Rangers (for us is Guards and bridging engineers)?

With the ROKMC getting an aviation wing, I think they are modelling themselves after the Americans and Russians - to be an invasion force should the need arise.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-02-13, 10:02   Link #26483
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Guards is still under Army. So is my bridging engineer formation

And SG military does nothing to harden anyone because we have no war zone obviously...

Quote:
2. No gladiatorial tournaments; I mean we fight with fists and grapple each other, why not we give them a whole choice of random melee weapons and see the sharpest mind and the strongest body on the planet be given a medal?
Thus Angron was born...
Old 2013-02-13, 10:06   Link #26484
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Guards is still under Army. So is my bridging engineer formation

And SG military does nothing to harden anyone because we have no war zone obviously...
Mister, we already have something to harden us everyday - the goddamn, fucking, RAT RACE.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-02-13, 10:08   Link #26485
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I'm talking about the many meat bags that permeate our higher education institutes.

No offense Chaos
Old 2013-02-13, 10:11   Link #26486
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
You won't see much of a difference for our guys. Cosplay is still one of my hobby, but I am more of a procurement person than the actual cosplayer anymore. Damn shoulders.
I figure you might be able to tell just how whiny those non-conscripts can be.

Quote:
And I thought SK has a mandatory conscription like us? So how did they escape?
"Oh, I have a bad back, as you can see from this doctor's letter! I'll be disabled if I go to the military!"

Obvious methods.

Quote:
You mean direct action, raiding squadron like the Rangers (for us is Guards and bridging engineers)?

With the ROKMC getting an aviation wing, I think they are modelling themselves after the Americans and Russians - to be an invasion force should the need arise.
More like ROKMC is basically an unified force within the greater force, the master of all trades which can operate completely independently while the rest of the forces catch up.
Old 2013-02-13, 10:12   Link #26487
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
I'm talking about the many meat bags that permeate our higher education institutes.

No offense Chaos
...What did I do ?

Ah Cosmic was 35? This is awkward... I'm 39

EDIT:

Quote:
"Oh, I have a bad back, as you can see from this doctor's letter! I'll be disabled if I go to the military!"

Obvious methods.
OMG flashbacks !
Old 2013-02-13, 10:15   Link #26488
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
...What did I do ?

Ah Cosmic was 35? This is awkward... I'm 39

EDIT:

OMG flashbacks
Nothing...coz you are a uni guy no?

Yarlor....use our camp, our MO, our E-Mart never do guard duty >__<

Memories? Chao Keng!!! Like all 39...:P

Got all the good chem suits also don't want to share *jealous*
Old 2013-02-13, 10:18   Link #26489
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:

Yarlor....use our camp, our MO, our our E-Mart never do guard duty >__<
E-Mart? You mean this?

Old 2013-02-13, 10:19   Link #26490
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
E-Mart? You mean this?

Electronic mart...the shop we use to purchase our personal supplies in camp
Old 2013-02-13, 10:20   Link #26491
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Spoiler for off topic:
Old 2013-02-13, 10:24   Link #26492
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I like Mopp 4....so cool looking in that gas mask...never have I looked better.

Lol what poly? Why all the ex military SGers here all got education issues one
Old 2013-02-13, 10:25   Link #26493
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I figure you might be able to tell just how whiny those non-conscripts can be.
I don't know. I think the only way I can tell a non-conscript from one is when I want to hit him. Really badly.

There are two kinds of South Koreans that annoy me at the moment - elitists who think they are racially or academically superior, and brats. The former I can suck it in because I have seen local scholars, Japanese, Chinese behaving like that, just that SK expats have become the norm here that I see more of these morons around. The brats really behaves like spoilt children without any real credentials to back them up, only a mountain of cash and connections to depress those who refuse to let them have their way.

I wish I had the permission of the ROK Armed Forces to teach these brats a lesson if they are seriously non-conscripts.

Quote:

Obvious methods.
Wut.

Over here, it would go through something called the military medical board of reviews, and they debate whether this guy is faking it or not, then assign him to a unit. It can take up to 2 years thanks to shortage of medical board meetings and bureaucracy, so you can have a guy who is medically unfit to be in combat suddenly getting a combat posting during his reservist.

An outright yes-no is ridiculous to stream for military posting. There should at least be come clerical position so he still gets 2 years of his life cut alongside his peers.

Quote:
More like ROKMC is basically an unified force within the greater force, the master of all trades which can operate completely independently while the rest of the forces catch up.
Basically they are copying the USMC, RMC and Russian Naval Infantry. An independent QRF able to respond to all forms of war scenarios.

Seriously, I wonder what the Central Command in SK is planning. Invading the rest of East Asia in the future?

Quote:
I like Mopp 4....so cool looking in that gas mask...never have I looked better.

Lol what poly? Why all the ex military SGers here all got education issues one
We have got 2 university graduates here. Albeit in their 30s. And one of them is a bloody OCCIFER.

Spoiler for Off Topic:

Old 2013-02-13, 10:33   Link #26494
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Basically they are copying the USMC, RMC and Russian Naval Infantry. An independent QRF able to respond to all forms of war scenarios.
Meh, it's also a political decision in that there were quite a bit of conflicts between the ROKMC and ROKAF over who will support the airspace in the ROKMC area of operations, and the large ROKMC societies (of which I'm part of one due to my beloved having been a ROKMC) pushing for an expanded role for the ROKMC.

Quote:
Seriously, I wonder what the Central Command in SK is planning. Invading the rest of East Asia in the future?
Forming the Greater Korean Republic?

PS: ROK's literal translation of the Korean name is actually "Greater Korean Republic".
Old 2013-02-13, 10:36   Link #26495
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Apparently some people here consider me a meatbag.

I'm just gonna be over there making myself taller, if anybody needs me.
Old 2013-02-13, 10:38   Link #26496
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Meh, it's also a political decision in that there were quite a bit of conflicts between the ROKMC and ROKAF over who will support the airspace in the ROKMC area of operations, and the large ROKMC societies (of which I'm part of one due to my beloved having been a ROKMC) pushing for an expanded role for the ROKMC.
Just as I suspected, there is an element of politics involved. But that isn't just the ROKMC, I suspect the USMC had similar issues too with the US Army.

Quote:
Forming the Greater Korean Republic?

PS: ROK's literal translation of the Korean name is actually "Greater Korean Republic".
Please go North into China, stay away from Japan and Taiwan. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Apparently some people here consider me a meatbag.

I'm just gonna be over there making myself taller, if anybody needs me.
You guys are all meatshields, not meatbags, if there is an insurgency/guerilla operation (State of Emergency) - taking bullets and IED shrapnel from some extremist moron on behalf of those little twerps who badmouthed you while you are stinking and tired after a reservist. Not for me after the medical board gives me a reply.

Old 2013-02-13, 10:41   Link #26497
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

Spoiler for Off Topic:
Demokit and standard engineer shit...MOPP 4 is not very good to fight in but can't say there's nothing more effective to where when marching into a pacified enemy population center. Makes an impact on the locals
Old 2013-02-13, 10:43   Link #26498
Ridwan

Quote:
Please go North into China, stay away from Japan and Taiwan. Thank you.
Eh, I wouldn't mind Korean Japan.
Old 2013-02-13, 10:46   Link #26499
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Demokit and standard engineer shit...MOPP 4 is not very good to fight in but can't say there's nothing more effective to where when marching into a pacified enemy population center. Makes an impact on the locals
...I dont know what you think we were doing in our secret underground laboratory of Doom, but I assure you it has nothing to do with The Imperial March theme song.... Honest.
Old 2013-02-13, 10:48   Link #26500
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridwan View Post
Eh, I wouldn't mind Korean Japan.
that's plain wrong on so many levels...

Quote:
...I dont know what you think we were doing in our secret underground laboratory of Doom, but I assure you it has nothing to do with The Imperial March theme song....
We all know that's in the medic camp...<_<

Medics...practising how to kill your own more effectively than the enemy since day 1

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international