AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-06-29, 19:46   Link #1
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Chou Kuse ni Narisou/I'll Make a Habit of it

I see that someone has started to make captures of the VHS fansubs of this early '90s series. This happens to be one of my favorite shows ever - it's cheap and funny-looking, but really thrives on its cheapness in a way few series can match. It's also lovable in a way that many shows don't even try to be anymore IMO.

Habit is about Shiratori/Ootori Nagisa, a martial artist/idol singer. Just for laughs she decides she wants to go to a public junior high school. In order to remain incognito she hacks off her long pink hair, dresses in a boy's uniform and assumes a false last name. She joins a gang at school and falls in love with a high school boy (Nosaka Akira) who is a martial artist himself.

Nagisa is a very cheerful character, and very handy in a fight. Between her boyfriend, her career and her dad's dojo she has way too much to do; she usually sleeps through class, unless the class is rioting or ninjas come to the school to attack one of her classmates or robbers attack the school and hold the class hostage or she is being harassed by a music instructor with a crush on her who thinks Nagisa is a female impersonator...

So much for the plot. The show's production "values" include things like obvious looping in the animation, voice actors being recycled and the erm, unique sound of Nagisa's singing.... None of this is presented ironically a la Sexy Commando or whatever; this is primitive, not primitivism.

I've said enough here. And you can google up a few reviews that swear this is one of the worst shows ever made. I think the people who want to see this already KNOW WHO THEY ARE...
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-29, 21:09   Link #2
Fronzel
Schmuck

Well, it does sound pretty bad, actually. :P
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-29, 23:52   Link #3
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzel
Well, it does sound pretty bad, actually. :P
No way man! Its bad in a good way. Like, that's baaaad. I compare it to Kodoma no Omocha. No one would believe that sounds good from the summary, but everyone loves it anyway.

BTW, the Tomodachi fansubs ending midseries didn't they? Are Oppai going to be completing the series, or just capturing the video?
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-30, 01:27   Link #4
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
No way man! Its bad in a good way. Like, that's baaaad. I compare it to Kodoma no Omocha. No one would believe that sounds good from the summary, but everyone loves it anyway.
I am certain that Fronzel will watch this, he is one of those people who KNOWS... This series is not quite like KnO - people out there really do hate it. But that kind of proves my point about it being lovable...

I forgot to mention the incomparable/incomprehensible Momoko (quote: "Cute girls with machine guns at school... Kamioka, you can learn something from everything"), who has a random walk-on appearance in pretty much every episode, and the fact that this is a shoujo anime (based on an old Nakayoshi title).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
BTW, the Tomodachi fansubs ending midseries didn't they? Are Oppai going to be completing the series, or just capturing the video?
Sad but true as to the first part. The series ran 39 episodes of which I have only seen the 16 Tomodachi subbed. The last group to fansub this was Anime Miners, who subbed 17-20 on homebrew DVD a couple years back. I know what "oppai" are, but I don't know who Oppai are, or what their plans are.
Old 2004-07-01, 19:04   Link #5
marin

I can't get over how horrible it looks. I mean I know these are 10 year old VHS tapes, but it's just unwatchable.

Certainly VHS can be filtered more than this...
marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-03, 00:04   Link #6
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin
I can't get over how horrible it looks. I mean I know these are 10 year old VHS tapes, but it's just unwatchable.

Certainly VHS can be filtered more than this...
Well the caps were re-encoded, but obviously not because you asked nicely ._.

This is a thread about the show anyway - there is a thread in fansub groups to go and do this in, thanks, cya...

My tapes of the show are not all that much better anyway.
Old 2004-07-03, 06:25   Link #7
marin

I'm not complaining about the fansub, just commenting that old VHS stuff hasn't aged well...
marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-03, 19:45   Link #8
kuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin
I'm not complaining about the fansub, just commenting that old VHS stuff hasn't aged well...
There's always several factors involved when talking about an old VHS fansub. 1st important question: what generation was the tape ? It's a copy from the fansubber's master or a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of the master ? An analog copy is always worse than the original.

Second important point. What was the quality of the tape ? There're several kinds of tapes. Cheap tapes degrade much more than a premium (expensive) tape.

More factors exist to.

BTW, Tomodachi fansubbed I'll Make a Habit of It around 1998. The tape can't be 10 years old.

About the show. Not the greatest, but interesting anyway. Of course, most of others Tomodachi shows are better.
kuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-04, 02:09   Link #9
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Any discussion of VHS caps regarding this show are welcome in this thread, but not here in Fansubs, where the topic is the anime itself.
Old 2004-07-12, 22:28   Link #10
babbito2k
annoying white bat

I am kind of wondering how far Fronzel got with this show by now...

More importantly, I am shaking my head wondering how this series manages to sneak in an homage to shounen-ai... it's very impressive.

Another thing I love about this show and haven't mentioned is that it rarely contains any straightforward "realistic" narration. Almost every scene is tainted by magic realism, or is a pure fantasy or flashback. Some of the episodes are parodies of something else. To some extent Nagisa's meetings with Nosaka provide a break in the constant assault on reality, which makes them seem immediate and refreshing.
Old 2007-06-07, 21:51   Link #11
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
I keep hoping someone finds a better source for this show somewhere so there can be a decent-looking sub.

Why do I want one? Because I have a special place in my heart for a comedy like this -- something so bizarre that anything can happen in it, yet at the same time relatively grounded and satiric. (I wouldn't cal the weird-teacher episode a "homage" to shonen-ai as much as an utter demolition of it, one which actually has Nagisa coming off looking something of a homophobe).

And, of course, Momoko! I find that having a character around who is, even in this context, completely and utterly insane who can be counted on at leas twice an episode to show up, do something extremely weird, and then leave, very amusing.
Old 2011-07-18, 00:00   Link #12
tyciol
*Artist

I saw this tracker is still active (doesn't look taken down due to licensing) and it links to this thread but there are no active torrents listed.

I looked and did find them on Nyaa though so I hope someone can add them to the animeSuki tracker:
1-16: http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=torrentinfo&tid=177056
17-20: http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=torrentinfo&tid=184947

I can't find any for 21-39 though, sadly, so I guess it is incomplete.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote