AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-01-18, 13:01   Link #81
HandofFate

the dialogue is great. Setting is unique, animation and colors are pleasing to look at.
Its a bit raunchy, but it actually works really well in characterizing the people, and the setting and personality of the mains.

Looking to head towards a strong 10 if this keeps up.

lol @ what an impotent incubus Maria made.

uh oh @ a human trying to attack an angel.

Last edited by HandofFate; 2015-01-18 at 13:15.
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-18, 13:02   Link #82
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I'll give Joseph some credit. Not much of a better impression you can make there than picking a fight with an archangel for a girl . This should be considered fine by Michael's point of view since it's just humans acting on their own free will right?

Sounds like some remarkable selfishness on the part of heaven. It's perfectly fine for people to do whatever, but if someone with power like Maria actually tries to interfere with the fighting that's a problem? It's apparently fine for them to mess with the wars as we've seen with the other angels, but stopping fighting is the issue? They are really picking and choosing what goes against the natural order aren't they?

This show really is quite good. Watching the first 2 episodes back to back (since somehow I missed the first episode) was fun. Doing a nice job with the cast and the setting.
Old 2015-01-18, 13:18   Link #83
juve

They seem to have drawn Joseph a lot less muscular or manly compared to his manga self. As for questioning his manliness I would say Joseph in the manga is quite awesome :P
juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-18, 13:18   Link #84
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
Hmm, are the angels only opposed to outside forces like Maria and themselves intervening because it "disrupts" order? So would they be OK if humans were the ones to stop their own stupid fighting? That seems like a big condemnation of humanity, rather than just organized religion.
Seems so.
Notice that the Angels don't mind if by succubus proxy, Artemis drains the men and seduces them into deciding not to attack because in the end, the human is making the final decision The way the witches in the trees were acting, this also seems to be the case.

But directly hardline interfering directly into human affairs like Maria is doing is a no-on.
Old 2015-01-18, 13:33   Link #85
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I'll give Joseph some credit. Not much of a better impression you can make there than picking a fight with an archangel for a girl . This should be considered fine by Michael's point of view since it's just humans acting on their own free will right?
I'd give Joseph more than just credit; I'd graduate him from the school of badassery ! Yeah, I was definitely impressed with that action =03. He seems docile, but although his eyes show us that he might be a bit scared, he's still calm enough to do what needs to be done for the sake of those next/close to him(thank the virgin Maria that he isn't like Ann's dad =0\). Perfect cliffhanger to leave on as well, guaranteeing all who watch to get excited for the next episode.

Quote:
Sounds like some remarkable selfishness on the part of heaven. It's perfectly fine for people to do whatever, but if someone with power like Maria actually tries to interfere with the fighting that's a problem? It's apparently fine for them to mess with the wars as we've seen with the other angels, but stopping fighting is the issue? They are really picking and choosing what goes against the natural order aren't they?
I don't think those two angels were tampering with the war; they seemed to only want to guide those who fell in battle. I can kinda get behind what Micheal is saying though. Maria's power is just too much to use against normal humans. It is practically an absolute power that cannot be defended against.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-18, 14:56   Link #86
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I'd give Joseph more than just credit; I'd graduate him from the school of badassery ! Yeah, I was definitely impressed with that action =03. He seems docile, but although his eyes show us that he might be a bit scared, he's still calm enough to do what needs to be done for the sake of those next/close to him(thank the virgin Maria that he isn't like Ann's dad =0\). Perfect cliffhanger to leave on as well, guaranteeing all who watch to get excited for the next episode.
Agreed, he did a pretty great job there stepping up. Not many would be willing to go that far. The average person would be more like Ann's dad and not get involved. I can get the guy being afraid of various real dangers for speaking up, but still he doesn't even want Maria's name brought up. No way he'd be picking fights with angels like that.

Quote:
I don't think those two angels were tampering with the war; they seemed to only want to guide those who fell in battle. I can kinda get behind what Micheal is saying though. Maria's power is just too much to use against normal humans. It is practically an absolute power that cannot be defended against.
But can't the same be said about Michael's power? It's not like Maria can go against that head on either. It's ok to get in her way, but it's not ok for her to get in the way of others? Just seems like really flimsy reasoning on the angel's part. A little kid can't do much if a huge guy with a sword wants to kill him. There are always going to be imbalances in power, the angels should either stay out of it completely or get off their rears and get involved more.

Just feels really hypocritical. They don't mind people escalating conflicts, or using familiars to stop conflicts from happening, but Maria's route is too much. In the end whether you are interfering directly during the battle or stopping it by intervening with the leaders you are still stopping people from doing what they wanted to do.

I wasn't thinking on the Valkyries in this case, but agree I doubt they were tampering or anything.
Old 2015-01-18, 15:04   Link #87
Seihai
スマイリウム

I want those owls as plushies, they look way too fluffy.
Old 2015-01-18, 15:13   Link #88
James Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
Hmm, are the angels only opposed to outside forces like Maria and themselves intervening because it "disrupts" order? So would they be OK if humans were the ones to stop their own stupid fighting? That seems like a big condemnation of humanity, rather than just organized religion.
Pretty much, after all humans were given the "freedom" to do what they want after gaining wisdom from the appletree and being thrown out of paradies. Being seduced by a Scuccubi is a choice and not something that works foolproof always as seen by the gay priest/bishop. And the soldiers had the choice to advance despite the cyclos or flee. But what Maria did there was a direct interference, and one that was merely due her own selfishness and as proven by Michael who kept watch and knew of the other village two hills away that gets burned down and its women and children raped yet Maria does nothing to save them.
It is one thing if humans themselves choses what to do if given a choice and an other thing if they are forced to do one thing.

Not that I mind Maria's reasoning much, after all it is true that if everyone stopped fighting there would be no war. XD

As for the episode, I laughed goodly at the Inccubi with no D but a hazy cloud because Maria was too embarressed/has no idea what a man looks like down there. XD
And then that general guy was okay with it as long as he had a hole. XDDD

But boy, poor Maria, her innocent eyes are sullied now by that "serpent" she saw. XD

I wonder if she wonders what Jospeh looks like below. ^^
Her blushing when he showed up to greet her was certainly cute, same when Artemis was teasing her or Ann asking them if he ws her boyfriend. <3

Also I am shipping them so hard now, Jospeh shoting an Archangel from behind and telling him his next arrow land between his eyes - what a badass! Panties dropping everywhere! 8D
And given the OP we gonna see more cute scenes between those two. <3

Hope Michael is as impressed by Jospeh as we are, else Jospeh picked an insanely strong opponent to impress Maria.
Jospeh, you know you just shot Archangel Michael, right?
"I'd fight anybody who wants to harm Maria, be it devil or angel!"
He's a keeper, Maria. :3
James Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-18, 17:02   Link #89
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

lol @ first half of the episode, the part of the priest and his aid, and later with the muscular one was really funny, and I can see most of the jobs of the incubus will be with mens, he has all those uke vibes.
The dialogue between Michael and Maria was kinda hard to hear, it hits some weak points of religions and some hard realties behind them, and it was well done imo, so well done
Cant see a flaw yet, and thats very good, keep like that Junketsu no Maria.
Old 2015-01-18, 17:10   Link #90
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Not a fan of the first half to be honest. Just the way in which the entire plot and humor revolved around sex seemed too crass even for me. I mean in a show that has a relatively decent portayal of the Hundred Years war, it seems a little too "anime-fied" and lacking in dignity.

The second half was better but I'm not really a big fan of the MC being such an enlightened pacifist. The concept is fine but the execution makes her feel a bit Mary Sue-ish.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-18, 17:13   Link #91
HandofFate

huh, if anything her naive pacifism is the character flaw.

and her being a virgin
Old 2015-01-18, 17:19   Link #92
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Maybe. Michael does seem to hint at her naivety so there is that. But for the most part, I'm struggling to think of what she's done wrong other than perhaps her methods (why try and stop individual skirmishes and not try and appeal directly to the royals for some diplomacy?)
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-18, 18:26   Link #93
Esclair

Valkyries exist too? I hope to see some Thor vs Michael action later

Pretty good episode. I wonder if Maria's powers also cause a negative impact just from her usage? Ie, supernatural powers shouldn't exist in the world (aside from the Gods observing) and her use of it upsets some higher balance that will ultimately tilt the world into chaos?
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-18, 18:29   Link #94
HandofFate

Not the mention the mercenaries attacking the village is a direct result of Maria stopping the battles, putting them out of work and not getting money to live, so they became desperate enough to raid random villages.
Old 2015-01-18, 18:42   Link #95
Enternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
As for the episode, I laughed goodly at the Inccubi with no D but a hazy cloud because Maria was too embarressed/has no idea what a man looks like down there. XD
And then that general guy was okay with it as long as he had a hole. XDDD

But boy, poor Maria, her innocent eyes are sullied now by that "serpent" she saw. XD

I wonder if she wonders what Jospeh looks like below. ^^
Her blushing when he showed up to greet her was certainly cute, same when Artemis was teasing her or Ann asking them if he ws her boyfriend. <3

Also I am shipping them so hard now, Jospeh shoting an Archangel from behind and telling him his next arrow land between his eyes - what a badass! Panties dropping everywhere! 8D
And given the OP we gonna see more cute scenes between those two. <3

Hope Michael is as impressed by Jospeh as we are, else Jospeh picked an insanely strong opponent to impress Maria.
Jospeh, you know you just shot Archangel Michael, right?
"I'd fight anybody who wants to harm Maria, be it devil or angel!"
He's a keeper, Maria. :3
But yes Maria is just really cute! At the same time, I'm wondering about how witch ages. Ann's grandmother to me was acting like she have known Maria all of her life. On the other hand, Maria's naivety seems to indicate otherwise (and her virginity haha). So exactly how old is Maria?

And wow Joseph is a surprise! He's visibly shaken but he still went for it! I'm a chicken so I would flee the scene just like a chicken would
Go Joseph! And yes, he's definitely a keeper Maria!

@HandofFate
Yeah pretty much that. But at the same time, it's hard thing to decide. But then again, EVERYTHING has a consequence. If she did not stop the battle, many would die but the mercenaries would have money and not raid a village. She stopped it so not many people died but the mercenary raid a random village. It's not perfect at all.
Enternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-18, 18:42   Link #96
Esclair

Mercenaries (heck, even the official armies) would have pillaged and raped once they entered into enemy territory (sometimes even their own too). It was considered a spoils of war back then. The 100 year war was known for this.
Old 2015-01-18, 18:48   Link #97
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enternal View Post
@HandofFate
Yeah pretty much that. But at the same time, it's hard thing to decide. But then again, EVERYTHING has a consequence. If she did not stop the battle, many would die but the mercenaries would have money and not raid a village. She stopped it so not many people died but the mercenary raid a random village. It's not perfect at all.
Yea.
So far it goes that:

Maria stops battles
Mercenaries attack her village

Maria blinds the mercenaries
Villagers intend to kill the mercenaries

Maria stops them and tells them to dump them far away.
Only makes sure the mercenaries go to raid another village that isn't under Maria's protection

A bit simplifying it, but essentially, she's just passing the bill, and making sure killing doesn't happen in her backyard.
Old 2015-01-18, 18:53   Link #98
Esclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Yea.

A bit simplifying it, but essentially, she's just passing the bill, and making sure killing doesn't happen in her backyard.
There's nothing particularly wrong with that. She's not all powerful. Her power just allows her to save the people she's closest to.
Old 2015-01-18, 20:27   Link #99
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post
There's nothing particularly wrong with that. She's not all powerful. Her power just allows her to save the people she's closest to.
But that's precisely the whole problem. By saving people she's closest to, she shunts the problem down someone else backyard.

Furthermore, we don't know why "Heaven" believes that the direct usage of magic is that disruptive. While we can be uncharitable, and theorize that it is to maintain their monopoly on the super-natural, the fact that the Witches can use Familiars without problems suggest that there might be something very problematic and very dangerous with using magic in such a blatant fashion again and again.

Also, because Maria's power is so absolute, it's so easy to see how it could be abused. While it doesn't seem within Maria's character to do so, if you think back on how the other Witches seem like, were every Witch to follow Maria's logic or even go beyond, things could very ugly for the Muggles very, very quickly. I won't be surprised if the Witches were once dominant in this world long ago, and their reign was marked with horrific excesses and brutality, because there was nothing but whatever moral compasses they had restraining their power. It could well be that while Maria's reasoning is sound on the individual basis, if that reasoning was applied to Witches as a whole, we would end up with a dictatorship of the Mages on a Macro-scale level, were we to follow Maria's logic to the extreme ends, and this might well be something both Muggles, and Heaven rather not see.

In other words, sure, Maria may have a firm sense of morality, but because not every single witch is Maria, their powers must be constrained as a collective whole. And this was what the Archangel was trying to explain. Would you stop the burning of your home village? How about that village two hills over? How about that city currently under siege? How about the thousands of battlefields across the world?

Maria's counterpoint is that if everyone was like her, that wouldn't be happening, and the angles should be intervening. But that's an awfully naive way of seeing the world, and the supernatural used to impose order on the world by taking away free will can quickly turn into abuse.

In any case, Joseph came riding down with a crossbow, as a representative of his Lord (who clearly doesn't want to see his taxpayers slaughtered by a bunch of trump up upstart bumpkins). Which I suppose is the stand in for the idea that the natural course of things is some form of authority, some form of state protecting it's members from "anarchy" - ie: the phenomena that those with arms can rape, pillage and kill freely, to put it in this show's context. Though the idea of state is quite anachronistic, and Hobbes, Locke, Roseau and Voltaire are 200 years off.

Last edited by novalysis; 2015-01-18 at 20:39.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-18, 20:45   Link #100
Esclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
But that's precisely the whole problem. By saving people she's closest to, she shunts the problem down someone else backyard.
So towns should open their gates to pillagers and criminals because if they defend themselves the pillagers will just move onto another village instead? What if she was an inventor instead and armed the villagers with crossbows to make the village an unappealing target? That would also be considered pushing the problem down someone else's back yard? If you remove the notion that using magic is inherently bad then there's nothing wrong with her actions. Now, whether her magic has some kind of hidden cost to it is another matter altogether.

Quote:
Furthermore, we don't know why "Heaven" believes that the direct usage of magic is that disruptive. While we can be uncharitable, and theorize that it is to maintain their monopoly on the super-natural, the fact that the Witches can use Familiars without problems suggest that there might be something very problematic and very dangerous with using magic in such a blatant fashion again and again.
I'm thinking that might be the case, but so far the story hasn't revealed anything that'd suggest that. Michael comes down and tells her to stop and the only reasoning is that they don't want her interfering with the natural order of humans killing each other.

Quote:
Also, because Maria's power is so absolute, it's so easy to see how it could be abused. While it doesn't seem within Maria's character to do so, if you think back on how the other Witches seem like, were every Witch to follow Maria's logic or even go beyond, things could very ugly for the Muggles very, very quickly. I won't be surprised if the Witches were once dominant in this world long ago, and their reign was marked with horrific excesses and brutality, because there was nothing but whatever moral compasses they had restraining their power.
Humans have done a pretty good job of creating unspeakable atrocities even without magical powers. Adding magical powers to the mix really doesn't somehow make things worse. Many technologies we have invented over the years fall into that same category of 'absolute power' if abused.

Tags
philosophy