Spoiler:
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-19, 22:05   Link #1802
fignae
floofer. floof.

Spoiler for me realizing that yikes, it does reveal something about episode 25:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowo
... without any passionate couples! Or any angsty relationships! Around episodes 10-18 I was expecting character development and interesting character interactions, but the height of the show seems like it was the very beginning (eps 2 is my all time favorite), and the middle of the show.
I guess I like my Mai HiME angst and cheap drama.
Odd; I didn't like HiME for angst. But I liked the second series more, too, because it was slashier and we got Mashiro v2. Back on topic, I'm interested in this assessment. I feel that there wasn't angst, but thinking on individual episodes, there was! It's just understated a lot of the time, and the dark underbelly of sequences is never brought to light.... Like FatPianoBoy said, it was mostly about ordinary life. This transition time was intense but treated lightly (ep 24) because the focus was the macro-level perspective. Limited omniscience. And naturally, this approach is lacking when it comes to personal heightened emotion, which it wasn't trying to achieve. No, wait, isn't that from being spread out between too many characters? (That's the one thing I hate.) Instead of being immersed in one person's perspective, we have a process of switching that goes on from episode to episode. There's never quite enough of any single thing. Even of NeviAer.

(I'm rambling. I think I have a high probability of being wrong.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
In thinking about the strengths of this show, I believe that the original concept (I think by "Koyamada Fukyoushi," which may be a pseudonym for Aikawa Shou) is wonderful. And so is the way the characters are made real by the script. The character design by Nishida Asako is superb. And so is the music by Sahashi Toshiko. And the voice acting is out of this world (so to speak). But we have sometimes had problems with the direction/storyboard/script of individual episodes.
So I guess for me, the music, the character design, and the voice acting loom so large that I'm happy being strung along. Ah, yes, m000m000's already said that above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metronome
@kaoru chujo

your favorite seiyuu, Kuwashima Houko, will sound in black lagoon second barrage, are you gonna watch that?~~
Whaaaaat?! OMG OMG, w00t! Ha, now we have Alti and Guragief in it. (Argh, I demand BL drama cds with female seiyuu!)

Last edited by fignae; 2006-09-19 at 22:24.
fignae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 01:02   Link #1803
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

This show has enough drama for me, from start to finish. A lot of it is understated, which I like. Can you imagine how some other shows would have handled the Kaimu-Alti scenes? Despite the occasional confusion caused by being excessively understated (or just plain confusing) this show has produced more of that "empty/full chest" emotional feeling in me than any show I can recall.

I have had a chance to see eps 8 and 14 of Mai-HiME, and now I get it: it really seems a good show, with some depth. But no comparison: there is just so much more here in Simoun, for me. I have to admit that monster-fighting on general turns me off, though. I'm looking forward to Ayakashi Ayashi to hear Niino Michi in another role, but the idea of monsters threatening Edo makes me roll my eyes. Random Curiosity has a good preview of almost all the fall shows.

I will certainly look at season 2 of Black Lagoon, now that it has Houchan in it. But I saw a couple of early eps of season one, and it wasn't really my style. I'll keep getting my fix from Saiunkoku Monogatari. She's great there, even though my interest in that show has lost some steam. After Simoun, Nana and Bokura ga Ita, I don't have much emotional energy left, lol.

I really do expect to see some passionate couples -- or at least intimate ones -- in ep26. I was surprised but not disappointed by the various gender choices.
Spoiler for ep25:
As for the number of characters and viewpoints diluting things, I guess that's so. But this was the ensemble cast that I have found easiest to identify (and identify with) as individuals of any anime I've ever watched. I really don't know how they did it: script, voice-acting, character design?

I guess I would be disappointed if at least some of the remaining mysteries aren't solved in ep26.
Spoiler for ep24-25:
And what a great ensemble cast we have here in the AS Simoun forum.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-09-20 at 02:27.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 03:12   Link #1804
oneplusme
Simoun-Fans Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
Spoiler for episode 25:
Spoiler for episode 25:
oneplusme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 06:31   Link #1805
Yui from Okinawa

Send a message via Yahoo to Yui from Okinawa
Simulacrum National Railways

Simulacrum National Railways

Fan novel by fan writer about Simulacrum rail sibylla when the war after....
http://www.geocities.jp/emiri_0623/simoun_lail-way.htm

Last edited by Yui from Okinawa; 2006-09-20 at 10:01.
Yui from Okinawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 07:19   Link #1806
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplusme
Spoiler for episode 25:
Spoiler for ep25:

Quote:
3. Here are images of magazine pages about the two new characters in the game. The first is Sairusandora, played by Kitamura Eri, who also played Amuria
I can't quite decide if it's Sairusandora in the middle of the game poster - I'm pretty certain it's her, but not 100%. (YJ has been kind to me today - not only did I win the poster, but I've just picked up one of the Megami promo DVDs. Yay!)

Spoiler for ep25-26 and Amuria:

Spoiler for ep25 in general:

Last edited by Simon; 2006-09-20 at 07:48.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 07:56   Link #1807
molitar

I feel the ending is going to be a big let down. Too many unanswered questions For example how did the body of the priestess from the other side that was blown up end up in the Ancient Simoun? Did they ever recover Mamina's body and give her a proper burial? Hopefully we at least get some answers about the new world and reason that their is so many Ancient Simouns there. But in one episode I don't think were going to get barely any answers. I really tire of anime that end up with a ton of questions and little answers.
molitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 09:17   Link #1808
wowo

Quote:
Originally Posted by m000m000
Is this just a rumour or an actually confirmed thing? O_o

...Well, whatever they do, I deeply hope they do it in good taste. So far the show itself has not let us down in this aspect, at least. .
Supposedly the director said there will be one in some magazine interview.
Probably Megami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignae
Odd; I didn't like HiME for angst. But I liked the second series more, too, because it was slashier and we got Mashiro v2. Back on topic, I'm interested in this assessment. I feel that there wasn't angst, but thinking on individual episodes, there was! It's just understated a lot of the time, and the dark underbelly of sequences is never brought to light.... Like FatPianoBoy said, it was mostly about ordinary life. This transition time was intense but treated lightly (ep 24) because the focus was the macro-level perspective. Limited omniscience. And naturally, this approach is lacking when it comes to personal heightened emotion, which it wasn't trying to achieve. No, wait, isn't that from being spread out between too many characters? (That's the one thing I hate.) Instead of being immersed in one person's perspective, we have a process of switching that goes on from episode to episode. There's never quite enough of any single thing. Even of NeviAer.

(I'm rambling. I think I have a high probability of being wrong.)
Well, I liked almost everything about HiME, angst and no angst.

As for Simoun, I just felt the climax was too early in the show, that's all. After a certain episode all they did was have long scenes explaining things, while I feel like they had enough time to explain things little by little, as if unfolding a mystery. I read a lot of things where people complained about the first few eps since they are unclear, but that's what I loved - you felt that you were viewing an entirely different world. The later eps are like "ok viewer! Now we're going to have this character angry because of this! And then this country is actually _______! Isn't that interesting?". I don't know, maybe it's sloppy writing, sloppy directing... no idea. It's just not working too well for me. It's interesting, but not spectacular. That's just a taste thing though.
The low-key ending will be fine for me too. I just wish there was more of a feeling of mystery, but I just feel like everything feels so "matter of fact". I don't know... it feels... shallow? Don't get me wrong, I like the story - ah, I don't like the story telling. That's it.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for ep25and26:

Last edited by wowo; 2006-09-20 at 09:28.
wowo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 09:23   Link #1809
fignae
floofer. floof.

The first one wasn't me but m000m000.

And Wowo, that is a spoiler for episode 26, not 25. Sob.
fignae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 09:28   Link #1810
wowo

Eek, sorry fignae!
Fixed.
Old 2006-09-20, 11:07   Link #1811
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by molitar
I feel the ending is going to be a big let down. Too many unanswered questions For example how did the body of the priestess from the other side that was blown up end up in the Ancient Simoun? Did they ever recover Mamina's body and give her a proper burial? Hopefully we at least get some answers about the new world and reason that their is so many Ancient Simouns there. But in one episode I don't think were going to get barely any answers. I really tire of anime that end up with a ton of questions and little answers.
Don't lose confidence in the staff yet! They like to reveal things slowly. One episode is plenty, if they do want to reveal some secrets. My own concern (amidst the happy anticipation) is that so much might happen in ep26 that we might lose this feeling of gentle denouement that has been so interesting -- and unusual for any popular entertainment.

As far as we know, Mamiina is still lying among the flowers. I can consider that a proper burial, returning her remains to Tempus Spatium. It was certainly emotionally effective, since we are still talking about it several episodes later.

We are meant to believe that dying in an explosion among helical motors would send someone elsewhere in space and time. Why it sent Anguras (the suicide-bombing miko) to that particular place and time may be at least somewhat answered when we find out (as I trust we will) how the V-Simoun got there.

I have to say, however, that there is one unanswered question that still frustrates me a bit: what happened to the miko in the V-Simoun that was shot down at the Ruins? I doubt we will ever find out now. I wonder if it was something added in the storyboard for that particular episode, just so Chor Tempest would not be seen as completely ineffective, and not part of the overall story.

What anime have left us with too many unanswered questions? There was a little fuzziness at the end of Noein, but I thought we learned enough -- whether or not it was good science.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-09-20 at 12:19.
Old 2006-09-20, 13:01   Link #1812
oneplusme
Simoun-Fans Editor

Quote:
I have to say, however, that there is one unanswered question that still frustrates me a bit: what happened to the miko in the V-Simoun that was shot down at the Ruins?
A crash at that speed, with no safety equipment, and their aircraft disintegrating? I think it's safe to say that they didn't survive.
oneplusme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 13:31   Link #1813
Seska

I've used this scene in my AMV (3rd link)
and i insert this "Script" in these part

"Censord! Trust me, it Hurts!!"

Well, i agree. A hard emercengy landing with this speed and suddely break to 0. No Biological can survied it. No they dont have Airbags and seat-balts. A littel, what you can imagine. See the crashland from Neviril and Moriinass on the Air-Carrier. She hits her head and nearly lost consinousses. and this was a "weaker" slice on the ground.

Now, i dont wanna know what happend to the dead corpses in the serie.
Perhaps, its not better to know what happed to them. Let them rest in peace as are whe have them in memory. Except moriinass body of course.

"Smilie shoot down. Anyway, whe have no use for them now (the pair that was fly it!)" the gist of it....

Mfg,
Seska
Seska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 13:31   Link #1814
JiCi

Quote:
Supposedly the director said there will be one in some magazine interview.
Probably Megami.
Who knows... but my hopes are high
JiCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 13:45   Link #1815
Seska

And my 2cents for a Remake on DVD, or something else.

Some scenes they should rethink of it.

Spoiler:

Well, thats all what i think if goes against my edikette to be a Human, with heart.

Mfg,
Seska
Seska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 14:17   Link #1816
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by molitar
I feel the ending is going to be a big let down. Too many unanswered questions For example how did the body of the priestess from the other side that was blown up end up in the Ancient Simoun?
They can leave everything else ambiguous, but if they don't explain this WTF moment, I'll be a bit irritated. It's too far out there to not give at least a partial explaination or present enough clues to formulate a guess on what happened.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 16:26   Link #1817
warainagara
CA

Send a message via MSN to warainagara
Quote:
Well, I liked almost everything about HiME, angst and no angst.
As for Simoun, I just felt the climax was too early in the show, that's all. After a certain episode all they did was have long scenes explaining things, while I feel like they had enough time to explain things little by little, as if unfolding a mystery. I read a lot of things where people complained about the first few eps since they are unclear, but that's what I loved - you felt that you were viewing an entirely different world. The later eps are like "ok viewer! Now we're going to have this character angry because of this! And then this country is actually _______! Isn't that interesting?". I don't know, maybe it's sloppy writing, sloppy directing... no idea. It's just not working too well for me. It's interesting, but not spectacular. That's just a taste thing though.
The low-key ending will be fine for me too. I just wish there was more of a feeling of mystery, but I just feel like everything feels so "matter of fact". I don't know... it feels... shallow? Don't get me wrong, I like the story - ah, I don't like the story telling. That's it.
[/spoiler]
I know what you mean since I am a fan of actions and shows with a vigorously unfolding storyline including a clear culmination, rather than psychological dramas.
But maybe we shouldn't expect such things from Simoun.

It is presenting a war, but the story is not really about it.
It is about girls' growth and emotions in the setting of a war.
And the charcaters don't blatantly speak about their thought and feelings,
so we may need to read between the lines tracing their inner parts that were hinted in brief scenes and events, which is a characteristic of psychological dramas.
(don't mean it's a psychological drama, but the language of the show is similar IMO.)

Also, the show have presented some important events but doesn't intend to give a large-scaled picture that they creat by intermingling among themselves.
Rather, it is focusing on what the events brought about on the girls' minds and what they meant to each of them.
In confronting those events, they have realized more about themselves and grown out of their childhood.
And their choices and the union between the main protagonists become of THE CULMINATION of the show, I think.

It may not be a matter of depth of the show.
It's just that the focus and intention are different from those of other mechas or fantasies.
And I believe Simoun has been outstanding in conveying what it was originally intended to show.
The delicate, appealing depiction of the girls' feelings and the coherency of the story are one of the top-notches among the animes I have seen, although I had little troubles with the details.

Last edited by warainagara; 2006-09-20 at 16:54.
warainagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 17:24   Link #1818
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
I know what you mean since I am a fan of actions and shows with a vigorously unfolding storyline including a clear culmination, rather than psychic dramas.
Maybe? More like obviously, if you ask me. It seems rather obvious to me that the characters emotions and development have a lot higher priority than revealing all the mysteries or setting up a hige cimactic struggle in the end. If Simoun was concentrating on the action we would have probably had Chor Tempest pulling off Kira Yamato and co, kicking the crap out of the elite enemy forces, forcing the Highlands and the Archipelago to sign a new peace treaty. The gender choice ceremony would have probably not been shown, only a few still frames with the results of it. Of course, it's not impossible that Aaeru and Neviril will achieve some heroic feats in the last episode but I doubt this will have much to do with fighting.

Quote:
It is presenting a war, but the story is not really about it.
It is about girls' growth and emotions in the setting of a war.
Quoted for truth.

Basically, plotwise Simoun is not that great. There are inconsistencies and there is really a lot to be explained. But since emotionwise (is that a word?) it pushes all the right buttons with me, I cannot really bring myself to criticise plot details. If there is a great emotional closure in the end, I really wouldn't care much if a lot of things remain shrouded in mystery and there is no big change in the Simoun world in the end. Something like Haibane Renmei's type of ending would be good enough. And if it includes the sort of spoiler mentioned by wowo - all the better.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-20, 17:59   Link #1819
wowo

Quote:
I know what you mean since I am a fan of actions and shows with a vigorously unfolding storyline including a clear culmination, rather than psychological dramas.
I'm not expecting those at all lol.

Everything Warainagara and Matrim is saying - I agree! Well, I agree with what was good about Simoun anyway.
What I'm trying to say is that I don't think the last few episodes of Simoun (after the middle area, around episode 16, 17) has those emotional character moments at all. They feel like stiff "character A does this, then character B does that" type of deal.

Seriously, after
Spoiler for eps18 - 25:

I dunno, I just feel like those "little" character quirks and interactions pretty much disappeared. Suddenly, everything was to move the plot forward or something. There were barely any "meaningless" scenes, where you just saw the character doing what they do.

Bah, I'm not a very good explainer. I just wanted to clear up the misunderstanding that I want some action/angst series from Simoun.
Old 2006-09-20, 19:18   Link #1820
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

New image on the front page of Nishida Asako's site. Who do you think it is?

Spoiler for who it is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by warainagara
It may not be a matter of depth of the show. It's just that the focus and intention are different from those of other mechas or fantasies. And I believe Simoun has been outstanding in conveying what it was originally intended to show. The delicate, appealing depiction of the girls' feelings and the coherency of the story are one of the top-notches among the animes I have seen, although I had little troubles with the details.
This is just how I feel. Except that I guess I consider concentrating on people's feelings -- as long as it's done well -- to automatically give a show more depth than one that concentrates on plot or external events. But maybe this is a bit of a prejudice.

I'll have to rewatch some mid-late episodes in the light of wowo's interesting comments about how the show changes.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-09-20 at 19:42.

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri