- horror/adult action adventure
- producer Katsura Hashino
- chara design Shigenori Soejima
- composer Shoji Meguro
Voice actors; Vincent - Koichi Yamadera, Catherine - Miyuki Sawashiro

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404399

http://cathy.atlus.co.jp/

Quote:
Game Jouhou has posted a bunch of additional details on Catherine, Atlus's new PS3 and Xbox 360 action adventure game.

As detailed below, Catherine is the first HD game from Atlus. It's being made with key members of the Persona staff. Included in the staff list are Katsura Hashino as producer and director, Shigenori Soejima as character designer, and Shouji Meguro as sound composer.

While the game's name is Catherine, the main character is actually a 32-year-old salaryman named Vincent (voiced by Koichi Yamadera). Catherine (voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro) is a stylish 22-year-old girl who apparently has the charms of a young girl.

The game begins when Vincent, a vegetarian who has no ambition in work or love (I'm not sure if he's literally a "vegetarian," or if the term "vegetarian" is some sort of metaphor for his personality) runs into the mysterious Catherine one day. At night, he has nightmares.

The nightmares serve as an action component for the game. Set in a world with an unending stairway, Vincent has to make it to the top of the stairs, or he will not be able to awaken.

Based off Game Jouhou's summary, it's a bit unclear how the game will progress. However, it does seem that even during the nightmare action parts, you'll end up working through the story and encountering events.

During a staff interview, Hashino said that as their first HD game, rather than trying out a true RPG, the team was excited about trying out something new. It looks like Catherine will be just that, as Hashino said it will be more adult oriented than past titles from the team. It's not all style, though. Hashino promised a deep play experience with plenty of gameplay for players to sink their teeth into.

Soejima said that there are some shockingly adult scenes in the game. When you play these scenes, they'll be even more stimulating, although in a difference sense.

Meguro confirmed the adult leanings of the title, saying that the keywords for the game's music are "classic," "adult oriented" and "erotic." He also promised 5.1ch sound.

Meguro also made a comment that has Persona fans excited. He said that due to Catherine, he believes for the time being the staff won't be asked about their next title. However, at some point next year, perhaps he'll be able to respond "Regarding the RPG, Hashino and I are..."

A hint at Persona 5? http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/08/18/flying_get/

Spoiler for Screens:

Last edited by videoman190; 2010-08-18 at 13:29.
videoman190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 10:56   Link #2
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

The male protagonist seems like have been...raped by Catherine ? Since it's not Megami Tensei series, i don't think I will find demons lurking in this game....perhaps? I'm intrested in the gameplay...I don't mind dungeon crawling, as long that it's like Silent Hill type of game. It's not like that I dislike it, it's just that I can't never managed to play a game with a system like that.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 11:33   Link #3
spikexp

Love the pizza picture

Atlus is going to give us a real new HD game. The fact that it's release on Xbox and PS3 give us a hint about a NA/EU version

Shouji Meguro for the music.... Hell yeah
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 11:41   Link #4
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

This is a definite day one purchase if it ever gets translated.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 12:47   Link #5
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This looks promising, I really hope it'll get translated someday. And dual-audio track, please! I wouldn't want to miss Miyukichi's performance in this game.
Old 2010-08-18, 13:03   Link #6
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
This is a definite day one purchase if it ever gets translated.
I second this.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 13:09   Link #7
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoman190 View Post
- composer Shoji Meguro
No surprise here, but still i'm sold on this fact alone. Plus Meguro's comment about the score has me so excited.

I'm all for this game. Loving what we've heard from the beginning summary, plus the adult themes that will be accompanying it. Catherine sounds and looks like my kind of character .

Shame that if this game does see a release outside of Japan, then 90% chance that it will be dubbed, because that's the path Atlus games follow.
Old 2010-08-18, 13:20   Link #8
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoman190 View Post
The game begins when Vincent, a vegetarian who has no ambition in work or love (I'm not sure if he's literally a "vegetarian," or if the term "vegetarian" is some sort of metaphor for his personality) runs into the mysterious Catherine one day. At night, he has nightmares.
I suspect it's a mistranslation, because the expression is "herbivorous men" (soshokukei danshi) rather than "vegetarian men".
Quote:
The phrase is generally applicable to men who are friendly and home-oriented, and not aggressive toward women, love and marriage. Its opposite is nikushokukei joshi, or "carnivorous women", referring to females who pursue active lifestyles.
The expression has slightly derogatory connotations, because men are supposed to be, well, manly in Japan. In other words, a herbivorous man is considered to be a somewhat emasculated male.

The Western equivalent would be the mythical Sensitive New Age Guy. America's NPR has a pretty good story on soshokukei danshi over here.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 13:31   Link #9
ZODDGUTS

The main character was in P3P:

Quote:
Some snippets about his NPC in P3P:
- Talks about rumors that you die in real life if you die in your dreams before "hitting bottom"
- His back story is that his relationship is on the rocks after cheating on his girlfriend, but after hearing that he knocked her up, decides to get back together.
- Is only referred to as "Man drinking alone" in game, but has several character portraits after you talk to him enough times.
- Data mining the UMD revealed his portraits to be labeled "Vincent"
- In the final scene, he promises to tell you more about his story, but that it has nothing to do with your problems, with that line highlighted in Plot Relevant Red.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 13:36   Link #10
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I thought i'd seen him before!

Well that sure is interesting. I never thought in a million years he'd end up having his own game.
Old 2010-08-18, 13:40   Link #11
iceyfw

this better get an american localization. i'm a bit worried about that though since it heavily says it has erotic elements and is adult oriented. but that shouldn't be a problem at all. slap an 18+ rating and boom.

Last edited by iceyfw; 2010-08-18 at 14:06.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 15:01   Link #12
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I thought i'd seen him before!

Well that sure is interesting. I never thought in a million years he'd end up having his own game.
He is only present in P3P, but not in the original Persona 3 or FES.

This means that this is probably a "buy-time" game while they are crafting a new storyline for Persona 5.

@ Kanon : Which anime/manga is your sig from?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 15:27   Link #13
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
He is only present in P3P, but not in the original Persona 3 or FES.

This means that this is probably a "buy-time" game while they are crafting a new storyline for Persona 5.
Could be. Especially when you go by the last few lines from the quote in the opening post. Still i'm very interested in this title at the moment, that i'm fine waiting longer for the inevitable Persona 5 announcement.
Old 2010-08-18, 15:33   Link #14
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Some of the background pics is showing a news channel talking about an accident of murder? Hmm... could be part of the plot yeah?

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 17:36   Link #15
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Could be. Especially when you go by the last few lines from the quote in the opening post. Still i'm very interested in this title at the moment, that i'm fine waiting longer for the inevitable Persona 5 announcement.
I certainly hope that we can play as Cath in the game. If not, there better be another FeMC to play : I didn't like the fact that most Persona games feature a male protagonist.

Now that they have added a bishoujo to P3P, why don't they add a loli as - *gets bricked*

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 17:39   Link #16
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I certainly hope that we can play as Cath in the game.
It'll certainly be interesting if we could going by those screenshots.
Old 2010-08-18, 18:56   Link #17
Trogdor Jube
Back at it again

-completely new IP
-action/adventure/horror game
-Meguro bangin the soundtrack, Soejima designing characters, Hashino directing (P4)
-80% complete already
-Winter 2010 release for Japan
-lead developed PS3 (PhyreEngine), also on Xbox 360
-Persona 5 is coming right after this
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201...erine_preview/

Quote:
Erotic music
Hoo boy I'm on board for this.
Old 2010-08-18, 19:57   Link #18
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:
-Persona 5 is coming right after this
Atlus may actually stick it solely on the PS3... I hope not. With this one getting on the 360 I hope it shows some trust as well as different platforming.

Plus I want my persona 5 achievements. That would be wicked good fun.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-19, 00:06   Link #19
videoman190

New screenshots

http://www.famitsu.com/image/11069/C...w8NsT9uh3.html

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201...ook_catherine/
videoman190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-19, 00:12   Link #20
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor Jube View Post