AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-02-14, 15:43   Link #61
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I personally think that if they're having professionally trained seiyuus (there all those sieyuu academies...), part of their traning should consist of learning to pronounce forieng languages. This is perfectly possible.

Why? Because there's another category of people who are well known for their voices who do just that: Opera Singers. Your average opera singer has to be able to sing in English, German, Italian, Russian and French at a minimum, and they receive the training to be able to pronounce any sounds. That said, it is singing (which is not quite the same as speaking... particularly in Opera...), but given that Japan must have a musical/opera scene, surely the resources are there to school seiyuus in foreign pronounciation.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 15:47   Link #62
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

It isn't like they have time or need to learn any other language: it just doesn't worth the time nor the money considering the industry.

Comparing opera singers with seiyuu is quite dubious, considering they are really not on the same field at all.
Old 2012-02-16, 22:51   Link #63
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
It isn't like they have time or need to learn any other language: it just doesn't worth the time nor the money considering the industry.

Comparing opera singers with seiyuu is quite dubious, considering they are really not on the same field at all.
They're both in the field of primarily using their voices, and a lot of seiyuu can sing.

Also, we are talking about a group of people who go through a lot of voice training. They don't need t learn another language, they just need to learn how to pronounce a wide variety of sounds. Then they can just read without really knowing what they're saying. A well trained person can do that.
Old 2012-02-16, 23:45   Link #64
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
They're both in the field of primarily using their voices, and a lot of seiyuu can sing.
Definitely true in my view because both does requires skills in pronounciation , fluency and timing.

I remember a post that said that why should they need to be fluent in other languages particular English, if their target audience are Japanese only... Hmm... as if they don't export them overseas and even have them dubbed to other language if they don't target outside consumers as well.

Being a seiyuu is a great profession, and like other profession... it needs to be polish more and more and have to be updated... and learning English and being fluent in it is something advantageous. Why have foreign dubbers if the language could be learn. It's same as people learning to be fluent in Japanese.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-17, 06:25   Link #65
Same_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Definitely true in my view because both does requires skills in pronounciation , fluency and timing.

I remember a post that said that why should they need to be fluent in other languages particular English, if their target audience are Japanese only... Hmm... as if they don't export them overseas and even have them dubbed to other language if they don't target outside consumers as well.

Being a seiyuu is a great profession, and like other profession... it needs to be polish more and more and have to be updated... and learning English and being fluent in it is something advantageous. Why have foreign dubbers if the language could be learn. It's same as people learning to be fluent in Japanese.
I have to stop you there! Being a seiyuu is NOT a great profession. Most seiyuu only make about $15-$30 USD PER EPISODE! They don't make enough money to really care if they're reading English properly. Most seiyuu do their jobs, simply because it's what they love. I make minimum wage at my job. I love my job, but it's not enough for me to decide "Hmm, I'm gonna memorize all these barcodes!"

Last edited by Same_Shark; 2012-02-17 at 09:18.
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-17, 09:46   Link #66
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

They don't need to learn english, they just need to learn to pronounce it. And, in fact, learn to pronounce everything (there's not that many sounds)
Old 2012-02-17, 22:08   Link #67
Same_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
They don't need to learn english, they just need to learn to pronounce it. And, in fact, learn to pronounce everything (there's not that many sounds)
Compared to Japanese, yes there are. Japanese only has about 110 sounds, English has way more sounds. It doesn't seem like that much when English is your native language. Why do you think Koreans speak English better than the Japanese? It's because Korean has more sounds than Japanese.
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-17, 23:41   Link #68
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

anyone know why japanese often add "to" in the end of a word? in some anime i often hear thing like :wait-to, fight-to, cute-to
Old 2012-02-18, 00:14   Link #69
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Because that's how they transliterate English words.

The "basic" Japanese alphabet -- hiragana and katakana -- have very limited "sounds" (what's the exact linguistic term again?) compared to English. The basic is less than 50, with some variations it's still remarkably limited. There are only very few means to end a sound with a consonant in Japanese. Read the "Modification of Foreign Loan Words" on this page to get the details. They explain it better than I can.

What you really hear is "Fa-i-to," "kyu-u-to," and so on.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-18, 00:25   Link #70
NeoChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Same_Shark View Post
I have to stop you there! Being a seiyuu is NOT a great profession. Most seiyuu only make about $15-$30 USD PER EPISODE! They don't make enough money to really care if they're reading English properly. Most seiyuu do their jobs, simply because it's what they love. I make minimum wage at my job. I love my job, but it's not enough for me to decide "Hmm, I'm gonna memorize all these barcodes!"
I hope they're not reading this...
NeoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-21, 13:07   Link #71
Miyuki-ism
Corpse in Pieces

Send a message via MSN to Miyuki-ism
Spoiler: