AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kannagi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-25, 11:31   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Kannagi - Character Discussion - Nagi

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Nagi related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Kannagi fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2008-11-07 at 01:25.
Old 2008-10-26, 20:00   Link #2
Falkor

I think any kind of discussion regarding Nagi has been already done multiple times in the general discussion thread… but still, it’s too quiet here, considering the fact she is supposed to be the main character of the show…

Almost everything has been said about Nagi, from the seiyuu and the color gamut of her voice, to her personality traits and her role in the story. Nagi is supposed to be a goddess, but any “divinity” she might’ve had has been replaced for more human characteristics--and one odd personality. They way she interacts with people or just her everyday interaction with Jin, shows how well has been hidden the fact she is not human; and yet, for this particular individual to have no problems adapting to the human world… there must be something, I guess.

Character design-wise, there’s no doubt that Nagi is the most unique character among the countless anime girls created in the past decade. But it’s sort of funny if someone were to think of her in the real world—there’s no way to imitate her looks, and get a good, yet plausible result. Imagine that: long blue hair, short bangs, and little presence of eyebrows—I really wonder about this latter, you know… and besides her cute bra, I must admit that she wears very attractive clothing, a bit extravagant perhaps, but the overall combo including her short white skirt and her long boots is just love--and sets her character apart.
Old 2008-10-26, 23:35   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Shaving half the eyebrows was the fashion in the Heian Era of Japan (794-1192CE) about 900 years ago. Her bangs are fashionable for that period.

I suspect if I dug around I'd find a courtly robe of the period that her "magical girl" style outfit derives from (minus the short skirt and bare arms...).
Old 2008-10-27, 05:50   Link #4
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Wasn't she shown wearing it already 10(?) years ago, at the beginning of episode 1, over her Miko garb?

So it wouldn't be far fetched to assume it is at least inspired by some kind of sacerdotal clothes.
Old 2008-10-27, 08:05   Link #5
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
interesting.. I never noticed that blue top she is wearing. Removing the miko dress beneath, it will make her present appearance believable.

+1 orz
Old 2008-10-27, 14:18   Link #6
Falkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Shaving half the eyebrows was the fashion in the Heian Era of Japan (794-1192CE) about 900 years ago. Her bangs are fashionable for that period.

I suspect if I dug around I'd find a courtly robe of the period that her "magical girl" style outfit derives from (minus the short skirt and bare arms...).
oh Vexx, you just revealed my ignorance...

just wondering, is this practice still ongoing...?
Old 2008-10-28, 09:30   Link #7
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Not anymore, as far I as know. The Heian fashion is long dead, just like Chinese bound feet for females custom.
Old 2008-11-03, 10:11   Link #8
Lugia_yao
Framehaze

Send a message via MSN to Lugia_yao
The material of "the fallen noble character" is always a nice one ^_^
Old 2008-11-08, 10:55   Link #9
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Yay!! new image for Nagi thread. ^_^ (I seriously want to print it into a card....but...*sigh*)

If the anime keeps follows the manga, Ep 6 would be a pure win for Nagi. (but let's not expect so much) ^^

PS: i like the art of Nagi in ending of Ep 1 and 2 the most.
Old 2008-11-11, 11:29   Link #10
Shadow Kira01

Nagi's method of gaining a human vessel is rather odd too. By using a tree trunk sculpture to materalize isn't all that bad, but then.. Her deity powers will end up fading away.. On the contary, since the power of deities consist of mainly the faith of believers. It is entirely possible for Nagi to surpass Zange in terms of power capacity. This is going to be very interesting..

On a side note,

Spoiler:
Old 2008-11-12, 11:56   Link #11
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I don't know how Umaibo taste like, so can't comment; but surely it does not go well when:
Spoiler for Ep 5:

Patientlyy waiting for Ep 7 for more "Nagi". Hopefully it's not gonna disappoint me
Old 2008-11-12, 19:34   Link #12
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to MercFH
So i suppose question: Who ends up with Jin.....?
and in the Anime it's pretty clear of the "feelings" between Jin and Nagi.
so anyone who knows anything about the manga? what happens? I dont mind being spoiled since I prolly wont read the manga for a good bit.

or is it kinda one of those "noone ends up with anybody endings?"
altho the Anime has to have an ending......so.....

i still dont get the deal with this "nagi being a slut" otaku thing.....from an article I read it wasn't even "definite" that nagi did anything...or are the Otaku's just going crazy or wtf?

thx
Old 2008-11-12, 23:00   Link #13
Joachim
et tu, brute?

jump over to manga discussion thread mercFH some people are having arguments about that there
Old 2008-11-18, 20:13   Link #14
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

The following is from the anime perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFH View Post
...and in the Anime it's pretty clear of the "feelings" between Jin and Nagi.
In thinking about it some more... I'm not so sure how clear it is. I think the feelings between them are a bit ambiguous, at this point. Jin cares about her to a degree, I think he feels obligated to her more than anything. He may have reacted like he had "feelings" for her in the maid cafe, but I think most of that was just hormones.

I think there may be some "girlish" feelings on Nagi's part for him at times, but it may not have as much of an influence on her behavior as I thought it might earlier.

Right now, I'm having mixed feelings for Nagi. Jin seems like more of a convenience for her while she schemes to get her godliness back, than anything. She shows a moment here and there of respecting his feelings on certain things, like quitting the Maid Cafe, but for the most part she's rather immature and extremely self-centered.

I find myself in a place where I almost care more about Jin than I do about her (which I don't think has ever happened to me before). He's one of the most likable protags I've seen. That kind of shifting personality is emotionally tormenting... going from conniving and manipulative to sincere and caring. I realize she has a purpose, but if she ends up hurting Jin while messing around behind his back... I'll need to see some major redeeming qualities on her part to not resent her for it.

She scored big points for apologizing to him about the Maid Cafe and showing him some respect, but then the following episode was just over the top Nagi selfishness. I know, it was comedic filler material and was good for the whole cast being involved, but I still got annoyed by her absurdity.

She's a god who's supposed to be how old? Is her new girlish body that much of a hindrance to her composure as a deity? I like her as a character (design-wise, VA, story premise), but I'm holding my opinion of her as a person in reserve until I see where the story goes and how her character develops.

In the mean time, I'll do my best to enjoy the laughs.
Old 2008-11-18, 23:58   Link #15
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
he's a god who's supposed to be how old? Is her new girlish body that much of a hindrance to her composure as a deity? I like her as a character (design-wise, VA, story premise), but I'm holding my opinion of her as a person in reserve until I see where the story goes and how her character develops.
A god never grows old. Not at least for Nagi since she gets to live a new life as Jin's "half-sister". Plus Jin carved her to be flat as a board, so it does help to make her seem younger (though it is ridiculous that she wants to wear a D-cup, or even anything bigger than her size of an AA cup for that matter.)

Or maybe there is a new genre of anime coming up for "shoujo-kami" types, with epic abilities to generate infinitely large amounts of moe. Like Haruhi.

Not surprising if there is a new pseudoreligion named Nagi-ism coming out.
Old 2008-11-19, 05:14   Link #16
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Plus Jin carved her to be flat as a board, so it does help to make her seem younger
She had that appearance when Jin first encountered her when he was younger.

I was thinking his carving may have been inspired by that encounter. And looking back on episode one, it seems strange that Nagi is puzzled by her new "form" when she had it before. But then, she says she was "sleeping" and has no memory of having met Jin before, when he brings it up.

Apparently Nagi is still an inexperienced/young god (thinking of Kamichu and Yurie, here) and she had a time of slumber for some reason that left her with a case of brain fog.... and yet... she remembers that there's "someone she likes." Too many holes in her story.

Last edited by Mushi; 2008-11-19 at 05:30.
Old 2008-11-19, 05:47   Link #17
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
She had that appearance when Jin first encountered her when he was younger.

I was thinking his carving may have been inspired by that encounter. And looking back on episode one, it seems strange that Nagi is puzzled by her new "form" when she had it before. But then, she says she was "sleeping" and has no memory of having met Jin before, when he brings it up.

Apparently Nagi is still an inexperienced/young god (thinking of Kamichu and Yurie, here) and she had a time of slumber for some reason that left her with a case of brain fog.... and yet... she remembers that there's "someone she likes." Too many holes in her story.
We are so glad that Haruhi is not on her side, or she is at her full power. We could have been wiped from existence for pointing that out.

I wonder if the someone she likes is another god, or maybe this entire plot had much relation to Shintoism (in which Nagi is Amaterasu).
Old 2008-11-19, 05:51   Link #18
herbert

Quote:
And looking back on episode one, it seems strange that Nagi is puzzled by her new "form" when she had it before.
No, that is difference in the one Jin met as a kid and the one carved by Jin even if we can't see. If not, why she suspects Zange may possess a human before knowing she does?
Old 2008-11-19, 06:03   Link #19
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
No, that is difference in the one Jin met as a kid and the one carved by Jin even if we can't see. If not, why she suspects Zange may possess a human before knowing she does?
It is because Zange's tree is still standing, and it is not possible for an astral being to manifest in a physical form without a vessel.

P.S I would certainly want a girlfriend like Nagi. She is so cute.
Old 2008-11-19, 06:14   Link #20
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
It is because Zange's tree is still standing, and it is not possible for an astral being to manifest in a physical form without a vessel.
Sigh.

You just didn't understand what I was talking. Plez read the quote in my last post.

When Jin met Nagi as a kid, Nagi's tree was standing.

Tags
characters