AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-06, 01:09   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Sword Art Online - Anime Speculation & Theories (for anime-only viewers)

This thread is aimed at first time viewers of Sword Art Online and its purpose is to allow spoiler free speculation and theories to be aired. Having them in a central location may help focus the discussion instead of spreading speculation over the various episode discussion threads. If you are knowledgeable of the light novels and wish to speculate or discuss theories, then please do not post in this thread (use the Spoilers & Speculation Thread) and do not give away any spoilers in this thread!

Unacceptable post topics:
  • Any form of spoiler or hint from Sword Art Online light novels.

Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Magazine previews are an exception to the said rule. You are allowed to discuss those. (Properly labeled spoiler tags required).

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-08-01 at 11:06.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 11:50   Link #2
Funkatron
Highly irregular

How does the food thing work (and bathroom breaks, while we're at it). I mean, if you are trapped in a virtual world where you can't move your real body, how do you feed it? How would you go to the bathroom?
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 16:20   Link #3
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

So, any particular guesses on what this Akihiko fellow is trying to accomplish by locking all the players into a survival game and committing the genocide of 2000 people so far now?

I know we don't have a lot of information to go on just yet, but Akihiko in his picture sort of looked like a doctor or scientist judging from the lab coat, so I'm guessing that some sort of experiment is being preformed through these actions. What exactly that would be though I'm not sure. Something psychological perhaps?
Old 2012-07-07, 17:00   Link #4
Somnus
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
-snip-
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
-snip-
I think the moment you guys started referencing the novels you're disqualified from this thread. I'm no mod, but they separated them for a reason. Before speculation and discussion truly starts decide to either play the fool or avoid here entirely.

I can understand that knowing LN spoilers feels like having a toy you want to show off, but let those going into this series blind truly enjoy it.
Old 2012-07-07, 17:33   Link #5
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
stuff
don't really think what I posted were spoilers.... but whatever.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 19:17   Link #6
gunzblitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
So, any particular guesses on what this Akihiko fellow is trying to accomplish by locking all the players into a survival game and committing the genocide of 2000 people so far now?

I know we don't have a lot of information to go on just yet, but Akihiko in his picture sort of looked like a doctor or scientist judging from the lab coat, so I'm guessing that some sort of experiment is being preformed through these actions. What exactly that would be though I'm not sure. Something psychological perhaps?
Spoiler for ep1:
gunzblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 19:20   Link #7
lansglenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunzblitz View Post
Spoiler for ep1:
So essentially:
I am mad scientist.
It'so cool.
Sonuvabitch.
Old 2012-07-07, 19:24   Link #8
gunzblitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansglenn View Post
So essentially:
I am mad scientist.
It'so cool.
Sonuvabitch.
You've pretty much summarized it up if you look at it plainly I guess.
gunzblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 21:49   Link #9
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Maybe he's just a really bad gamer, and he wanted to take it out on all hardcore nerdkind.

This also gives me an amusing mental image of all 10,000 players scrolling hurriedly past the part of the Sword Art Online EULA which explicitly details all of the dangers and unique rules of his twisted death game.

Section 39d
By clicking on the I ACCEPT button, you acknowledge and agree to herewith forfeit your life, consciousness and soul to the developer to be used as meat for the grinder of the SAO client. To the fullest extent permissible by applicable law, in no event shall SAO or its licensors be liable for and loss of data, work stoppage, death, dismemberment, microwaving of higher brain functions, injury sustained from fighting dire wolves including but not limited to blunt force trauma, mauling, impaling, bisecting, eviscerating or taking 1d6 poison damage-

Yeah, yeah, scroll, scroll, scroll, I ACCEPT. Now how do I customize my Wood Elf's boobs?
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 21:52   Link #10
flack

Is this anime related to accel world? I checked the light novel timeline on wikipedia it seems mention accel world on there.
flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 21:58   Link #11
Deltaray

Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
Is this anime related to accel world? I checked the light novel timeline on wikipedia it seems mention accel world on there.
They have same author who wrote them.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 21:59   Link #12
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
While there are similarities in technologies and hints throughout both series, the author himself stated that his current stance is that there are no clear/solid connection between the two series.

IRL though, it's clear that AW was influenced by his work on SAO.
Old 2012-07-07, 22:11   Link #13
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
While there are similarities in technologies and hints throughout both series, the author himself stated that his current stance is that there are no clear/solid connection between the two series.

IRL though, it's clear that AW was influenced by his work on SAO.
Personally I think that's more because he doesn't want to admit there's a connection because he's saving it for a future plot point that he doesn't want to reveal yet. Just the fact that they take place 20ish years apart and both involve a VR world make me think that.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 23:07   Link #14
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunzblitz View Post
Spoiler for ep1:
Unfortunately I'm not the kind of person who will accept a "for teh evulz" excuse unless the character is just a really demented psychopath with absolute zero sympathy for human life. Sure what he's doing is pretty nuts, but from how he acted in the first episode, he didn't seem incredibly maniacal in personality.

Otherwise, even if it's entertaining to him on the side, there should be a greater motive for doing what he's doing.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2012-07-08 at 00:51.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 00:38   Link #15
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I think the interview snippet, along with all his hints that he has achieved his objectives on its own highlights what is his most likely motive.

He clearly doesn't think of SAO as 'just a game (he developed).'

Maybe there's some social experimental motive underlined behind his crazy 10,000 hostage scenario, but it feels like he's just a game developer who's just that invested into SAO that he wants it to be 'a real world.'

Then again, the flaw with this theory is that if he's going so far as to remove the log-out button... why not make it even more realistic by removing the menu function altogether? If Kayaba was really into full-fledged fantasy role-play, the concept of obvious game features remaining ( messaging,menu, etc) makes it less 'real.'

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 09:30   Link #16
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Personally I think that's more because he doesn't want to admit there's a connection because he's saving it for a future plot point that he doesn't want to reveal yet. Just the fact that they take place 20ish years apart and both involve a VR world make me think that.
If he does, he better have a damn good reason for doing so. I can see how some’d consider it fun/interesting, but it's also very easy to screw it up. I'm just going to hope he keeps the two as separate stories w/ no connection.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 10:49   Link #17
GoddyofAus
Level 5 Pyrokineticist

I doubt his intentions are merely personal entertainment off some massive power trip. There's got to be some ulterior motive why he's done this.

Long bow theory is he's trying to create the ultimate warrior, because any skills you earn with swordplay in the game, you'd retain in the real world. Otherwise, I think that girl with the black hair thats in the fetal position of the OP might have some story behind her.
GoddyofAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 11:43   Link #18
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I kind of wonder if perhaps he'd doing this to ween society off of virtual games. How many people will trust games now that this has happened? I suspect that game sales (of ANY game) will have dropped dramatically.

Endless "Go outside and play!" Soul
Old 2012-07-09, 12:22   Link #19
ScudFace

I've got a feeling that at the end of the show it will be revealed that this whole "playing with your life on the line" is just a gimmick built into the game. People don't actually die but were led to believe so in order to create the ultimate gaming experience. Everyone in the game knew what they were getting into but had their memory of it removed somehow and also this show is actually directed by M. night shyamalyan :P
ScudFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 12:29   Link #20
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScudFace View Post
and also this show is actually directed by M. night shyamalyan :P
Oh HELL NO!

that guy hasn't made a good movie in forever.