Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-02-01, 16:29   Link #1
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Last Exile -Fam, The Silver Wing-

Source: ANN

Quote:
The exhibitor notes at the Tokyo International Anime Fair (TAF) 2011 website revealed on Tuesday that the anime studio Gonzo is working on Last Exile ~Ginyoku no Fam~ (Last Exile -Fam, The Silver Wing-), "a new series of Last Exile [with] new story, [main] characters, and mechanical designs" for 2011.

Gonzo had worked with character designer Range Murata (Blue Submarine No. 6, Solty Rei, Shangri-La) on the original Last Exile anime series in 2003. The studio told ANN during last March's TAF that it was developing a potential Spring 2011 project that would take advantage of the new stereoscopic 3D televisions now entering the marketplace. Gonzo also showcased a stereoscopic 3D version of a Last Exile vehicle and four character design sheets for a new project in the works at the fair, although it did not specify at the time whether these materials were from the same Spring 2011 project.
A new Last Exile anime with new story, main characters and Rang Murata working on it? Sign me up.
Old 2011-02-01, 18:07   Link #2
Kunagisa

I've always had a soft spot for GONZO since the original Last Exile. Makes me tear a little seeing 'em continuing this series as part of their renewal. Excellent, wonderful news.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 18:18   Link #3
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I love Last Exile, but I can't help but feel that they just might ruin a good thing.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 18:45   Link #4
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Love Last Exile too, though I would be happier if they revisited Claus and Lavie - I thought there was a lot more life in that story.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 18:56   Link #5
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Love Last Exile too, though I would be happier if they revisited Claus and Lavie - I thought there was a lot more life in that story.
I agree, though in the other hand there's plenty of material for a new story with a new cast, and personally i'd be much more for that. Especially regarding how long it's been since the original series.
Old 2011-02-01, 21:44   Link #6
Same_Shark

I'm seriously about to cry with excitement! This could go either way, but even so, it's a world I wanna go back to!
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 22:20   Link #7
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

I hope you dont have to watch the first one to get into this
Old 2011-02-01, 22:25   Link #8
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

I thought Last Exile was stunning and very original compared to what its cohorts were at the time, but... for the life of me I couldn't understand what was going on with intercharacter relations.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 22:43   Link #9
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

ANN posted this article a little while back and, while it's not confirmed that these are characters for the new series, the character designs look awfully LE to me,
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 23:49   Link #10
ZODDGUTS

Here's hoping the story doesn't fall apart towards the end this time.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 00:45   Link #11
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
No freaking way! Last Exile was probably the best show I saw come out of my universities anime club and to this day one of the most visually stunning that I've seen. Loved the setting, loved the atmosphere, loved the story and characters, it was all great. Gotta channel that here of course to make me feel the same way, but wow, did not see this coming. Anyone else remember that haunting opening Cloud Age Symphony?

Still haven't heard anything else quite like this song anywhere else. Favourite part of the intro is when all the soldiers are aiming their guns preparing to fire broadside.......man haven't seen a steampunk show in ages.....this is such good news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Here's hoping the story doesn't fall apart towards the end this time.
Errr...which show are we talking about again? What story fell apart in what show?

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2011-02-02 at 00:55.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 01:55   Link #12
Patchy
練紅玉
*Graphic Designer

One of Gonzo's gem, I'm really eager to wait for this show...

@reckoner - no!! don't say some bad omen >_<
Shiro
-----------------------------
-----------------------------
Currently Doing:
Currently Hidden in depths of Chireiden

Patchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 02:07   Link #13
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchy View Post
One of Gonzo's gem, I'm really eager to wait for this show...

@reckoner - no!! don't say some bad omen >_<
Haha, I'm sorry. I always expect the worst out of things. I'll try to be positive this time .

I'm sure Gonzo will try to deliver quality on this product since it is their revival anime I suppose?
Old 2011-02-02, 02:17   Link #14
Nemuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Haha, I'm sorry. I always expect the worst out of things. I'll try to be positive this time .

I'm sure Gonzo will try to deliver quality on this product since it is their revival anime I suppose?
I looks more like an experimental with 3d than a revival itself project itself, however I feel it is a bit too soon.
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 02:28   Link #15
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

i havent watch Last Exile yet, but this 2011 Last Exile will have a new story so ill just watch this one
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 02:41   Link #16
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmox View Post
i havent watch Last Exile yet, but this 2011 Last Exile will have a new story so ill just watch this one
You should really check out the original if you have the time. It was IMO Gonzo's best work.
Old 2011-02-02, 04:23   Link #17
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post

Errr...which show are we talking about again? What story fell apart in what show?
While I found the story great for the most part, personally I found the final part to be not as executed as well.

Quote:
You should really check out the original if you have the time. It was IMO Gonzo's best work.
Close but that would be Gankutsuou and Kaleido Star. Yeah I know opinions opinions.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 04:23   Link #18
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Looks like it's time for that rewatch. It's still Chiwa Saito's best role IMO.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 05:39   Link #19
Used Can

Hmm... I don't know. I loved Last Exile, but the story seemed properly concluded. So, I honestly don't see what they could do, unless they go for a prequel (and even then, we've got enough information to know what happened).

This is one of those situations in which I simply liked the show so much, and in which I believe the show was so well done and properly ended, that trying to do something else with it has high chances of ending up in disaster.
Old 2011-02-02, 07:20   Link #20
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

This and Gankutsuou is one of few animes by Gonzo that gets the most praises. Although, Last Exile's ending was badly executed, which is constant mistake Gonzo does all the time. At least this one's ending was a bit better than others Gonzo's works, though. (like NHK or Certain Urobuchi scripted animu)

Gonzo has already fallen once, but it was mostly due to their shit business management. (extremely poor DVD sales also contributed though.) The more important thing is, actual staffs involved with this.

Tags
adventure, science fiction