AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-12-02, 08:34   Link #41
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

HeartCatch and Suite was using some big star like Mizuki Nana and Ami Koshimizu though. So I won't surprised if Yuuki Aoi or other big name seiyuu really got the job.
Old 2011-12-02, 10:22   Link #42
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
HeartCatch and Suite was using some big star like Mizuki Nana and Ami Koshimizu though. So I won't surprised if Yuuki Aoi or other big name seiyuu really got the job.
Considering the target I'm still surprised they actually used big star names, actually.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 11:15   Link #43
Midonin
Last Engage

If you can afford the talent, go for it. To give a recent example, Gokaiger has Tomokazu Seki, Yukari Tamura, Kikuko Inoue... lots of big names. While Sentai and Rider are bigger franchises than Precure, it's certainly a big enough franchise that some stars may want to be on it, either for their kids or themselves.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 05:59   Link #44
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Spoiler for Fanart:
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 06:11   Link #45
xizro345
King's Justice

I think some are already popping up in places like pixiv, I've seen one just after the first design leak.
Old 2011-12-04, 06:35   Link #46
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
Aaand it looks like the artwork is official:

Sources from 2ch (so take them with a grain of salt) talk about a mix between Yes! 5 Precure and Heartcatch.
If it has some Heartcatch elements to it I'm definitely in.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-06, 03:11   Link #47
twinklestar
anime fanbot..LOL!

Looks good..
twinklestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-06, 12:04   Link #48
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Sources from 2ch (so take them with a grain of salt) talk about a mix between Yes! 5 Precure and Heartcatch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklestar View Post
Looks good..
Looks exactly like a mix between Yes 5 and Heartcatch.

I know I shouldn't but I already feel disappointed...
The design is way too moe for me (but I'll keep the Madoka-factor in mind and give it a try).

As each season got some cures added during the show, I'm a bit afraid they pull something à la Milky Rose with Candy (the fairy).

Wait and see, as they say...
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-06, 17:35   Link #49
xizro345
King's Justice

I personally wouldn't mind a character like Milky Rose. Aside that, can we avoid using certain terms that mean nothing with the show, considering it's aimed at children?
Old 2011-12-08, 22:51   Link #50
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sageblink View Post

The design is way too moe for me (but I'll keep the Madoka-factor in mind and give it a try).

As each season got some cures added during the show, I'm a bit afraid they pull something à la Milky Rose with Candy (the fairy).

I agree much to close to the Yes 5....

GOD the hair... some are okay but man the hair really kills it. I just wish someone would make a rainbow brite anime and call it a day
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 01:31   Link #51
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
I just wish someone would make a rainbow brite anime and call it a day
Hahaha, but back in the 80's, there was already one.

I know my comments aren't positive and a bit early but the over-&-reused design + the first poster already showing some merchandising... It just screams "we're lazy and we just want your money".
Old 2011-12-09, 13:06   Link #52
Midonin
Last Engage

It's the same kind of spread Go-busters is getting right now. Other than being aimed at girls (mostly - the same applies to Go-bus and its cute rabbit), Toei's treating them equally. The merch is part of the experience, not really a detriment to it.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 15:00   Link #53
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
the first poster already showing some merchandising... It just screams "we're lazy and we just want your money".
Don't delude yourself, Precure from the start was designed as a show in Super Hero Time formula, it exists to sell toys and rehash everything that is possible to rehash. You can't really approach it like you approach late-night anime.

People still act surprised when they hear that Power Rangers are still being produced and are on air... XD
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 15:14   Link #54
xizro345
King's Justice

Well, personally I like more Precure than Super Sentai or Kamen Rider, even if they're bigger franchises... I know there are a lot of fans for both series, but honestly the only thing watchable for me in that timeslot is Precure, despite the target.
That said, I personally think Suite wasn't (and isn't) that great, even not counting Heartcatch, but I like the designs of Smile, and if it's remotely near the idea of 5 (another series I appreciated) I'll be ok with this.
Old 2011-12-11, 09:20   Link #55
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
the over-&-reused design + the first poster already showing some merchandising... It just screams "we're lazy and we just want your money".
About the similarities to previous series, I think it can work both ways. For example, I liked the original precure series and followed it up to Max Heart (100+ episodes total for both). My friend also like the original and even marathoned watching Max Heart. Now, the difference is I welcomed Splash Star because it reminds me of the original. While my friend dropped PCSS at episode 7 thinking it's just a reuse / cheap copycat of the original.

If Smile Precure becomes somehow similar to Yes 5, the effect on each Yes 5 fan probably won't be the same.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2011-12-11 at 09:36.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 10:20   Link #56
Undertaker

Quote:
Well, personally I like more Precure than Super Sentai or Kamen Rider, even if they're bigger franchises... I know there are a lot of fans for both series, but honestly the only thing watchable for me in that timeslot is Precure, despite the target.
That said, I personally think Suite wasn't (and isn't) that great, even not counting Heartcatch, but I like the designs of Smile, and if it's remotely near the idea of 5 (another series I appreciated) I'll be ok with this.

Do not diss Kamen Riders, Kamen Riders are great. I every time I thought it was gonna suck (like last year's ooo and fourze this year) they turns out to be more enjoyable than I thought.

Quote:

But seriously what's with the talk on design similarity?

You know what you are getting into when you're looking at Precure series not to mention as other already said this is a show that aimed at pre-teen girls they are suppose to be moe, Otaku fans like us are just bonus. (and moe is such a mis-used word here in U.S. among anime fans.)

All Gundam looks similar so do all Valkyries and it's the reason they are popular in the first place. Everyone watched Gundam (at least in East Asia) in their life at some point and they all look the same and kick ass the same way. That's why they become household name.

Not to mention every time they drastically change the designs it back-fired in merchandise sales.

Besides these franchises are never design to have lasting fans and as I said, the Otakus like us that keep watching year after year are bonuses.

This reminded me on what Eiichiro Oda once said in his interview. When OP first serialized and was selling at a really high pace for a new series, he was worried that he would lose fan as they get older and pasts being teenagers. Then he realizes that for every fans he loses due to old age he can gain them back as they become teenagers so he decide that he'll just draw what he think is fun and what he think a 15 years old boy would enjoys at time and not worry too much on altering approach for older fans. That when OP really start to took off and become the beast it is right now.

The approach not only worked, it created the most popular manga in Japanese history mainly because the most of his old readers didn't abandon his work once they got order because it is still the same fun manga they read when they are teenagers that got surprising depth with simple concept.

Last edited by Undertaker; 2011-12-11 at 10:33.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 10:44   Link #57
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Do not diss Kamen Riders, Kamen Riders are great. I every time I thought it was gonna suck (like last year's ooo and fourze this year) they turns out to be more enjoyable than I thought.
I personally think the acting is subpar every time, and yes this applies to Fourze as well, not to mention the horrible main character, but I'm not going deeper as it's clearly offtopic.

Quote:
Not to mention every time they drastically change the designs it back-fired in merchandise sales.
The only "drastic redesign" I can think of is Heartcatch. Did it really backfire back then?
Old 2011-12-11, 12:29   Link #58
Undertaker

Quote:
The only "drastic redesign" I can think of is Heartcatch. Did it really backfire back then?
Heartcatch does have different art direction, but still they have more in common than differences. HC is still sweet & cute & all fluffy & frills. Personally if I have to choose a "redesign" it would be Fresh Precure. If I didn't know better and only look at character design, I would've thought I was watching mid-night anime with tons T&A. (not that there is anything wrong with that)

Speaking of acting, who's talking about acting in those shows, after all, almost all actors/actress in those shows are beginners and it's apparent that skill-wise the supporting character are usually better acters/actress mainly due to experiences. (though giving them some credits, a couple do end up being fairly active in drama scenes after their skill matures) It's like saying you go watching Star War because of the great acting. Or watching professional wrestling because of the storyline. But feel free to PM me on what you think as it's not often for me to see people (non-girls) who seem to have decent exposure to tokusatsu that has that big of problem with both Sentai and Rider (usually it's one but not other) while still watch PreCure-type anime. People usually are just indifferent to them or didn't know enough to comment.
Old 2011-12-11, 13:49   Link #59
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Heartcatch does have different art direction, but still they have more in common than differences. HC is still sweet & cute & all fluffy & frills. Personally if I have to choose a "redesign" it would be Fresh Precure. If I didn't know better and only look at character design, I would've thought I was watching mid-night anime with tons T&A. (not that there is anything wrong with that)

Speaking of acting, who's talking about acting in those shows, after all, almost all actors/actress in those shows are beginners and it's apparent that skill-wise the supporting character are usually better acters/actress mainly due to experiences. (though giving them some credits, a couple do end up being fairly active in drama scenes after their skill matures) It's like saying you go watching Star War because of the great acting. Or watching professional wrestling because of the storyline. But feel free to PM me on what you think as it's not often for me to see people (non-girls) who seem to have decent exposure to tokusatsu that has that big of problem with both Sentai and Rider (usually it's one but not other) while still watch PreCure-type anime. People usually are just indifferent to them or didn't know enough to comment.
Indeed, the form was pretty much the same (though I'm a huge fan of Yoshihiko Umakoshi), but the overall plot was a bit darker.
Spoiler for Heartcatch:

The character-developpement was very well executed for me.
Plus, it feels there were a lot of plot-related episodes.

Suite is just a joke (aside from the not-so-well relationship between Kanade and Hibiki at first).

Yes 5 got Cure dream in the spotlight, the rest of the team being nothing but bonus.

That's why I got worried when I see they're already planning for a team of 5 cures. There is always one joining during the season. So 6 cures, monsters of the week, some plot-episodes... I'm worried.
Old 2011-12-11, 13:58   Link #60
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Indeed, the form was pretty much the same (though I'm a huge fan of Yoshihiko Umakoshi), but the overall plot was a bit darker.
The character-developpement was very well executed for me.
Plus, it feels there were a lot of plot-related episodes.
I disagree. The plot is very conventional (and the whole ordeal to get the Super Shilouette was really painful to watch, for example), the art style and the voice acting are what it really separates from the rest, and for the better.

Quote:
Suite is just a joke (aside from the not-so-well relationship between Kanade and Hibiki at first).
I wouldn't call it "a joke" as it had some good episodes but it's Splash Star-bad in my opinion.

Quote:
Yes 5 got Cure dream in the spotlight, the rest of the team being nothing but bonus.
I disagree. Despite having Nozomi on the spotlight (sometimes too much) I think the characters had their moments. The only thing I didn't like was the removal of some side characters in GoGo due to the introduction of Syrup.

Tags
magical girl, shoujo