AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-07-08, 13:35   Link #81
Side-streetdog

It was nice episode. Quality is great.
To bad that compare to others fantasy anime in this season.
It hasn't much impact like others.

Still have high expectation for this series though.
Old 2015-07-08, 14:44   Link #82
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Fantasy. There is no scientific explanation for how the main character perceives things when he's nothing but bones.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 17:23   Link #83
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Wasn't planning on watching but after reading the summary I did and I really enjoyed it. Kinda Log Horizon-ish. Weird hearing Saito from Louise as this giant overpowering skeleton
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 19:04   Link #84
bakato

You know what I'm wondering? What kind shoes does he wear?
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 21:09   Link #85
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Anther jerk trapped in a game hating the voice with that evil looking body
Old 2015-07-08, 21:16   Link #86
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm.... View Post
I don't think LH hinted anything about how players was trapped in the game at the start either ? Only SAO that did that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Log Horizon never gave any hint of catalysts either.
Ah my bad, you guys are right. Though in SIGN's case you had some foreshadowing and hints since it was the main mystery of that show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
A question though, how does the MC smell in this kinda body? Or have any kind of touch feel? I mean, he is just bones, isn't he? He got no nose or skin or heck even a D to do anything or feel anything at all, so how could he still smell and feel when all that stuff was missing? Did he ever questioned that in the LN?
Magic bruh. Seriously, he's undead magic sorcerer. I don't think most natural and physical laws can truly apply to him now (if they ever did before).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
@Iron Maw

DotHack and SAO were being trapped in a game. Log Horizon wasn't so much as being trapped in a game, but being pulled into another world with the mechanics of the game, similar to Rising of the Shield Hero.

Overlord has him in another world without any of the mechanics of a game so far (menu, health bars, etc) but a magic system. You can't really compare it to them anymore than you could to Digimon.
I get what you are saying, but that's mostly semantics at this point.

For the relevant points and interest, SAO, LH, SIGN and this all have an origin story that stems from the MC being trapped in a MMO-ike game for one reason or another and that world becomes the his/her reality in the most literal sense it can be imagined. When talking about a genre the individual minute differences with the story aren't as important as whether the main basics of it apply. Derivatives and variations to the formula should always expected, but what remains attractive about stories of this style is still there. Case in point with Overlord is that while it's now become more than a game you could just leave whether you wanted, most of Momonga's experiences, game logic and position is still relevant and can be applied here. And we see him doing just that just as similar stories have done, visible health bars or not.

Otherwise what's the point of adding that element to begin with instead of making a straight fantasy from the get go?

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2015-07-08 at 21:46.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 22:01   Link #87
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I enjoyed the first episode.

I think it puts a fresh, and probably necessary, new spin on the VRMMORPG anime subgenre. SAO, Log Horizon, Dot Hack... The concept of being trapped in a VRMMORPG has been done multiple times before (in one sense or another), so to keep it interesting, some major changes in approach were probably needed.

So in this case, the main player-character has a very inhuman looking avatar that in fact gives off "major boss" vibes to me. NPCs become way more important here than usual, seemingly forming the majority of the main cast. I like these two changes. It makes the show more interesting for me (at least in the short-term) and it ensures that Overlord stands out from other shows in this growing VRMMORPG subgenre.

One thing I find very amusing given my own personal background... As a big He-Man fan in my 80s childhood, I can't help but see "Skeletor: The Anime" here. In my mind, I imagine Skeletor making cheesy villainous pronouncements while bossing around these NPCs. That nostalgia-based amusement definitely adds a lot to this show at a purely subjective level for me.
Old 2015-07-08, 22:19   Link #88
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
As a big He-Man fan in my 80s childhood, I can't help but see "Skeletor: The Anime" here.
Whelp I can't unsee that now

But I do think it is cool that he doesn't look human, I liked that was one of the points to get into his guild.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 22:29   Link #89
Iron Maw
Banned

I really do wonder if Momonga was the only player avatar trapped/transported in this game though. Surely, he wasn't the only one who had strong attachment to this game. Unfortunately even if there is another player avatar out there it be near impossible to tell from all the other NPCs now that everything isn't based on routine A.I.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 22:33   Link #90
mysterious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
I really do wonder if Momonga was the only player avatar trapped/transported in this game though. Surely, he wasn't the only one who had strong attachment to this game. Unfortunately even if there is another player avatar out there it be near impossible to tell from all the other NPCs now that everything isn't based on routine A.I.
Momonga's NPCs remained loyal to him due to their settings and what not. I think it is safe to assume that other players also program their NPCs to be loyal to them. Unless, they want to role play dictator and rebellion in their own clan . Then he can differentiate between the A.I. and the player avatar by asking for their boss. The A.I. might gives a hint base on how their answers. Or he can just talking about his old world and game contents. Albeldo seems to not recognize such terms as "GM."
Old 2015-07-08, 22:46   Link #91
king12354

I started reading the novel but decided to stop because ultimately it didn't differentiate itself much from the other stories with similar settings. I also didn't like the MC, but perhaps watching it might be better than reading although I doubt it.
king12354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 23:15   Link #92
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity

I like this. Definitely a good watch
BladeMancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 23:27   Link #93
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
This is what I've been wondering as well. I also can't see him as being the only player who decided to stay logged in until the servers were shut down. Of course it may also depend on whether or not him staying logged in while the servers were shut down had anything to do with it, or if some other funny business is actually going on. It'll be interesting to see where the show goes with this.
Old 2015-07-08, 23:39   Link #94
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i hope he's evil and there's a team of heroes somewhere that'll have to come and defeat him. that would be a pretty big twist on the mmo animes we've had recently.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-08, 23:45   Link #95
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
Momonga's NPCs remained loyal to him due to their settings and what not. I think it is safe to assume that other players also program their NPCs to be loyal to them. Unless, they want to role play dictator and rebellion in their own clan . Then he can differentiate between the A.I. and the player avatar by asking for their boss. The A.I. might gives a hint base on how their answers. Or he can just talking about his old world and game contents. Albeldo seems to not recognize such terms as "GM."
Correction most if not all of the NPC in the tomb are not Momonga 's they were made by other guild members. Momonga mentioncs the guild members would forgive him messing around with them and many of them it is mentioned who made them.

At this point it is hard to say if the NPCs are programed to be loyal or are loyal because thats the history they remember. While it may not seem like a big difference . It is as if it is only memories then nothing is forcing them to remain loyal if they don't agree with what is happening.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 00:27   Link #96
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Exactly, I wondered why most people seem to think that he really is the only one. There is no proof for this, rather it's very unlikely, unless it really only happened to him for some reason and the others were, as planned, force-logged-out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
Correction most if not all of the NPC in the tomb are not Momonga 's they were made by other guild members. Momonga mentioncs the guild members would forgive him messing around with them and many of them it is mentioned who made them.

At this point it is hard to say if the NPCs are programed to be loyal or are loyal because thats the history they remember. While it may not seem like a big difference . It is as if it is only memories then nothing is forcing them to remain loyal if they don't agree with what is happening.
But he is still the guild leader, so if they followed the commands before the game, it would only make sense for their "descriptions" to reflect the fact that they are "underlings" of all the guildmembers. But well, it's possible that guildmembers that are the creators left some kind of "surprises" in the text since the text really was only the fantasy of their creators, so something like making a hidden traitor/spy "for fun" or someone being very violent on a whim even on allies, would not be unthinkable.
Old 2015-07-09, 00:45   Link #97
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

how of the Ygg game stuffare we allow to talk about here? game background materials and game mechanics.
Old 2015-07-09, 01:02   Link #98
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I've made a characters/seiyuus page for this show, with images of eight main characters and their seiyuus, and a bit of info about each seiyuu.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 01:05   Link #99
Esclair

If he's a Skeleton, why does he have a nose?
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-09, 02:15   Link #100
Draco Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I enjoyed the first episode.

I think it puts a fresh, and probably necessary, new spin on the VRMMORPG anime subgenre. SAO, Log Horizon, Dot Hack... The concept of being trapped in a VRMMORPG has been done multiple times before (in one sense or another), so to keep it interesting, some major changes in approach were probably needed.

So in this case, the main player-character has a very inhuman looking avatar that in fact gives off "major boss" vibes to me. NPCs become way more important here than usual, seemingly forming the majority of the main cast. I like these two changes. It makes the show more interesting for me (at least in the short-term) and it ensures that Overlord stands out from other shows in this growing VRMMORPG subgenre.

One thing I find very amusing given my own personal background... As a big He-Man fan in my 80s childhood, I can't help but see "Skeletor: The Anime" here. In my mind, I imagine Skeletor making cheesy villainous pronouncements while bossing around these NPCs. That nostalgia-based amusement definitely adds a lot to this show at a purely subjective level for me.

If a 'hero' who looks like He-man turns up, I'm going to scream shout out
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote