Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2007-09-25, 18:39   Link #21
Thrasher187
Spellcaster
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Thrasher187
I've seen Totoro, and I'd have to say it was a good movie...pretty charming. I'd reccomend it for anyone. The Cat Bus was pretty cool too! (^_^)
Thrasher187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 21:53   Link #22
SimpleSimon

I just watched the new dub for this movie. It made a little piece of my soul die. The older dub might not have been perfect, but it was definately less campy sounding. Plus Mei had so much more charm in the other one I think. And then to find out it was Dakota Fanning. >.< No matter how old she is, she always sounds like she's 5, albeit a really smart 5 year old but 5 nonetheless. This movie was the first japanese film I had ever seen and (excluding watching sailor moon with my father in the mornings) my first anime experience ever. Now Im having a hard time finding the older dub anywhere. Thats my only beef with Disney, they either make something excellent, or break something excellent. T-T
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 22:10   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The only advantage to the new dub was that the two actresses are actually sisters so there was that extra bit of energy in their interpretation.

The real moral is that films steeped in the culture are best viewed in the original language, but then dub watchers usually ignore me and then wonder why anyone thought a work was any good.

That said, the recent Totoro release was "pretty good" in my opinion since it didn't make me want to immediately drive icepicks into my ears.
Old 2009-04-30, 09:52   Link #24
KimmyChan

This is one Studio Ghibli movie that I haven't seen yet & really must cos I'm totally missing out!
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, slice of life