AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-06-12, 08:48   Link #21
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Very good post. I completely agree with you on all points. The fourth and fifth ones are particularly important to me.
Thanks!

Quote:
You forgot the boobs though
Sorry, was too distracted by a recent Nodoka cameo in Saki Achiga-hen.

Quote:

Another thing I like about anime is that you can see things you can't really see anywhere else -other than very big budget movies- , like mecha battles or epic fights between superpowered individuals. Although it obviously still cost money to animate this kind of fantastical battles, it's a lot easier to do than live action, and therefore, I feel anime writers' creativity is somehow less limited.
Agreed. Live-Action can sometimes pull this off, but not with the frequency that anime can.

Quote:
I also appreciate the diversity of anime. It can range from the daily life of a gay baker to a very serious SF drama about the rise and fall of a galactic empire. There is something for absolutely everybody.
Agreed. Anime has good range with its premises.
Old 2012-06-13, 05:33   Link #22
Haikea

Anime has unique ways to touch my emotions. It is mesmerizing feeling which gives me pleasure and sometimes sorrow. Japan has invented a digital drug.
Old 2012-06-13, 08:42   Link #23
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Puts me somewhere that's not reality, but just as exciting or even more so. I don't watch anime to relax. I watch it because I find my typical reality mundane.

Not super indulged in anime however, because I equally involve myself with video games and music which serve the similar purposes. I do enjoy enjoy a change of scenery IRL though. I forget all about anime, games and music whenever I'm going somewhere fun.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 09:06   Link #24
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

What I love about anime is not only the cute character designs they usually provide but also have better story ideas and scriptwritting than most Western productions (including the French ones).
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 10:24   Link #25
Qilin
Romanticist

The best thing about Japanese animation is that is fully maximizes the potential of animation as a storytelling medium. If we look at how its western counterparts tend to utilize it, it isn't utilized as well as it could be. For example, I notice that animation there is mostly used for the younger demographic, or if something for adults comes up, it's usually some crude sitcom. As such, it's apparent to me that western animation is boxed and limited by preconceived notions of what animation "should be".

In Japanese animation, we can find titles that cater to nearly every possible demographic and genre. Here, the flexibility it provides in storytelling is used to great effect to enhance nearly any type of story. It fills several niches that live action productions cannot. From all this, it is apparent that in Japan, animation transcends the derogatory label of a mere genre to becoming an established visual medium for storytelling.

For me, it represents the pinnacle of modern day animation.
Old 2012-06-13, 15:23   Link #26
word sux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
The best thing about Japanese animation is that is fully maximizes the potential of animation as a storytelling medium. If we look at how its western counterparts tend to utilize it, it isn't utilized as well as it could be. For example, I notice that animation there is mostly used for the younger demographic, or if something for adults comes up, it's usually some crude sitcom. As such, it's apparent to me that western animation is boxed and limited by preconceived notions of what animation "should be".

In Japanese animation, we can find titles that cater to nearly every possible demographic and genre. Here, the flexibility it provides in storytelling is used to great effect to enhance nearly any type of story. It fills several niches that live action productions cannot. From all this, it is apparent that in Japan, animation transcends the derogatory label of a mere genre to becoming an established visual medium for storytelling.

For me, it represents the pinnacle of modern day animation.

You put it perfectly!
Old 2012-06-13, 15:30   Link #27
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Cuteness .

It's actually a pretty large combination of things, but cuteness .
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 12:35   Link #28
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

apart from the great character designs and cuteness, what i love about anime is the story and concept, the ideas that comes in animes cannot be shown anywhere else,
and the most important is that in animes, we see events and story of characters, there is no acting in animes like those in the movies, in anime if a character dies he is DEAD,
and the animes world is so vast that anything can happen in animes
Old 2012-06-14, 23:15   Link #29
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
It all depends on the show, but to give a general range-

First, a quick background: like many here (I assume), I grew up watching pokemon, digimon, some DBZ, sailor moon... you know, the old Cartoon Network/Toonami stuff. All of these were action-oriented, and a good portion of what I watch these days has awesome action and fighting in it

For other stuff, there's an interesting story/plot that keep me hooked, and if you find the right show, it's got both good action and a good plot.

Now, both of those often are cases of I'm drawn in by something else, and then stick around for the plot. And what usually draws me in? The character designs, for one. Sometimes you have badass looking characters, and other times you have cute characters, and still others you have sexy characters. Which leads into the last part- as much as I hate to admit it, with a good majority of the ones that have character designs, usually sexy one, that draw me in... yes, it's for the boobs.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 08:21   Link #30
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

3) Not episodic - at least, in comparison to most western cartoons, they tell a story that continues from episode to episode rather than each episode being self-contained.

2) Doesn't go on forever - some anime doesn't follow this, but most of them are only 1 or 2 cours long.

1) Childhood friends winning more often than not - main reason why I chose anime as my entertainment of choice, as they're virtually non-existent in western series, loses majority of the time in korean dramas, and has a lower frequency of showing up in J-dramas.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 08:27   Link #31
wolfbankai
*Graphic Designer

beautiful eyes and hair.
i like styles of some characthers , sort of comedy and kind of all. ^^
wolfbankai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 09:40   Link #32
Kirarakim

Many things

1) I love anime's ability to tell a story. Originally I might have said that it tells a continuous story in a set number of episodes but over the years I have found anime is even great at telling stories in episodic series.

So although I got into anime for not being episodic I now actually enjoy episodic anime just as much and it made me realize I actually do love episodic Western TV with strong storytelling (this feels largely missing today but think the original Twilight Zone, which is just amazing).

But for anime you got your Mononoke's, Kino no Tabi's, & Mushishi's all of which I love tremendously (I was also going to say Natsume Yuujinchou but I think that is more continuous than meets the eye).

So basically whether it's a long or short story I find anime is an excellent medium to tell it and watching anime gives me the same feelings as reading a great novel.

2) The well developed characters: I've always been a character lover and I think anime has some of the best characters. I would prefer more adult characters but despite being an adult I still find many of the younger characters (both kids & teens) very engaging in ways I don't find these characters engaging in most works aimed at a young adult audience here (there are exceptions of course). I think it's because even if they happen to have super powers or special abilities they are still easy to relate to and if you take those special abilities away they are normal kids dealing with normal things. If anything anime tells some of the best coming of age stories, and I love those type of things.

So basically what I mean is if you take away all the crazy stuff that you might find in anime at the crux the characters & their stories still feel pretty down to earth (at least in my favorite type of series).

3) The fandom: yes there are certainly many things that annoy me about anime fandom but in general I love being part of it. I love how we look forward to & discuss the new shows every season. Yes people have different taste but ultimately its the shared love of anime we all share & that is something even bigger than just loving a particular series (at least it is for me, even though I do have my favorite series of course).
Old 2012-06-15, 16:11   Link #33
Solafighter
Hige

The art.

To create a world, you can only get by creating everything from scratch with its very own style and color(ok, depending of the series).

Besides that, animes often tell the story in a different way, than you would expect from other non-anime series.
Old 2012-06-15, 16:37   Link #34
Eragon
Still Alive

The plot - Some shows have such a gripping plot that you lose yourself in it.

The emotions - Depicting such a wide range of emotions with 2D characters and get the audience to feel the same is something that I really admire.

The guts to delve into moral issues - While majority of anime is pure entertainment there are some that really delve into the working of human nature.
Old 2012-06-15, 16:58   Link #35
Kirarakim

One thing I forgot to add is the original music scores. I have so many anime OST's saved and really the work that is put into a series (some that are only 13 episodes) is really quite amazing.
Old 2012-06-15, 17:11   Link #36
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
One thing I forgot to add is the original music scores. I have so many anime OST's saved and really the work that is put into a series (some that are only 13 episodes) is really quite amazing.
Agreed.

I never noticed it all that much before, but lately, anime BGM and OSTs have really stood out to me. An awful lot of it is Blockbuster Hollywood Movie caliber. When this shows up in all sorts of anime shows, even one cour ones as you say, it's pretty impressive.