AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Your Favorite Gundam Series is?
Mobile Suit Gundam 31 5.74%
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 66 12.22%
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ 7 1.30%
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam 11 2.04%
Mobile Fighter G Gundam 15 2.78%
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing 69 12.78%
Mobile Suit Gundam X 22 4.07%
'∀' Turn A Gundam 57 10.56%
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED 152 28.15%
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny 38 7.04%
Other (Explain) 72 13.33%
Voters: 540. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2018-11-22, 12:42   Link #721
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I don't think making your OVA series that you already previously shown in theaters and sold spectacularly as home videos into a TV series will get you that much money. Those who are interested in Origin already have the BD/DVDs by now and already bought the origin-line model kits that interested them. Like Unicorn 0096 before it, all it does is just filling a TV slot. A slot that Bandai-Sunrise must pay to use.
Tbf, there are fans who don't stay up to date with all the happenings of what goes on in the franchise (my relationship with AGE, G-Reco and Build Divers for example ) and there are also casuals who selectively watch certain sub-series, but still identify themselves as "fans". It's harder for these "fans" to keep up with movies/ovas that are released via Bluray or DVD as they may not even know it exists and if they do, they may not know the release dates.

It's much easier for them to watch said show on TV as it'll be easier to keep track of and there's also the added benefit of more exposure and widespread appeal that a TV series has vs the niche of movies/OVAs to those outside the target audience.

Besides, on the business side of things, Sunrise saves quite a bit of money because it'll cost significantly less to edit already existing material for TV instead of doing an entirely new project and putting it out. Even if the profits they make are small, it's still profit nonetheless.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-23, 04:00   Link #722
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
I don't think making your OVA series that you already previously shown in theaters and sold spectacularly as home videos into a TV series will get you that much money. Those who are interested in Origin already have the BD/DVDs by now and already bought the origin-line model kits that interested them. Like Unicorn 0096 before it, all it does is just filling a TV slot. A slot that Bandai-Sunrise must pay to use.
Putting it on TV just mean glorified TV commercial. Also time slot usually involve long term contract. it sometimes more beneficial to pad something instead losing it outright

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-23, 06:10   Link #723
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
Putting it on TV just mean glorified TV commercial. Also time slot usually involve long term contract. it sometimes more beneficial to pad something instead losing it outright
Well, we can't really be sure unless we see the actual contract and how much they pay for the slot, can we?

Also, it's not like this is the first time Bandai do questionable business moves. Remember the baffling thing they did for AGE? For a series that was flopping in almost every department imaginable, instead of stopping it and cut their losses after the TV series ended, they actually doubled down on it by making the "Memories of Eden" OVA with lots of new footage added, wasting even more money on it. And the result? It's still a major flop. One of the biggest that Bandai had to suffer.
Old 2018-11-25, 12:22   Link #724
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Those are crossover posters:

Unicorn x MSG
IBO x 00
Wing x Zeta
G-Reco x Origin

So yeah, 00 was there, represented by ELSetsuna holding a flower in front of Mikazuki.
Are you sure the first one isn't SEED x MSG? Would be weird for SEED not to get one.

Posters are pretty cool though. But the thought of Mika meeting Metal Setsuna makes me lol really.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-25, 12:44   Link #725
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Are you sure the first one isn't SEED x MSG? Would be weird for SEED not to get one.

Posters are pretty cool though. But the thought of Mika meeting Metal Setsuna makes me lol really.
Haak, read the little lines in the poster. It's clearly written as "Banagher Links meets Amuro Ray". So yeah, that's Banagher's face inside that helmet.

Also, what characters from SEED that you think matches the face inside the helmet? It's clearly not Hirai-face .
Old 2018-11-25, 12:47   Link #726
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I defy your definition of the word "clearly"

Okay listen, I have bad eye sight and it's Sunday which is my official "don't give a shit"-day.
Old 2018-11-25, 12:52   Link #727
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

^ The helmet is also clearly Unicorn Pilot's helmet with the distinctive two red lines on the forehead of a fishbowl form. Most of SEED's helmets have protrusions on the front.
Old 2018-11-25, 13:13   Link #728
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Also, what characters from SEED that you think matches the face inside the helmet? It's clearly not Hirai-face .
Well I just figured it was Kira except drawn by a decent artist.

Quote:
^ The helmet is also clearly Unicorn Pilot's helmet with the distinctive two red lines on the forehead of a fishbowl form. Most of SEED's helmets have protrusions on the front.
OOOOOOKKKAAAAY OBELISK. I THINK YOU'VE SAID ENOUGH.
Old 2018-11-25, 13:27   Link #729
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

^ Just wanted to help, bud. Since you said you have bad eyesight.
Old 2018-11-29, 05:38   Link #730
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Another sad news, guys. We just lost another Gundam talent:

Yuu Yamamoto, writer of 11 episodes of MSG TV series and scriptwriter for MSG Movie Trilogy passes away at 71.

Old 2018-12-11, 17:34   Link #731
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Oh btw, we have this little teaser for SD Gundam Sangoku Soketsuden:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

With the "Sangoku" in the title, it's obviously gonna be based on "Romance of the Three Kingdom". If the CG is good, this should be a fun SD show to watch.
Old 2019-01-11, 05:24   Link #732
Helius

YouTube

Even though the property existed way back when, I'm interested to see how this will tie into Unicorn/NT, if at all, considering this being part of Sunrise's "Gundam NexT 100" initiative, with Gundam NT which preceeds Hathaway's Flash and then "Gundam UC2" coming out after it.

Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-18, 20:04   Link #733
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Tokyo police have arrested two former employees of toymaker Bandai Co. on suspicion of fraud in connection with the construction of the 18-meter-tall Gundam robot in the Odaiba district of the capital.

So, this is how the corruption within the Earth Federation started, eh? A couple of officers making illegal profit on the Gundam project .
Old 2019-01-23, 05:59   Link #734
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Most recent interview with Kanetake Ebikawa (mecha designer of 00, AGe & IBO).

Snippets from the interview:
Quote:
"From my youth, I was interested in design and watching anime was one of my hobbies, but things really changed for me when I first saw Patlabor. That was when I thought about moving this hobby thing more into a proper job."

"When it comes to my favorite mecha designer though, as I said before I do really respect the people running at the forefront of the industry and one of those that I particularly respect is Kunio Okawara. In the original Mobile Suit Gundam openings, I found his name pop up in the credits under "mecha design". Back then, I really tried to get beneath the skin of what kind of person he is. Around that time, it was when I saw the anime Muteking and again I saw his name attached to the mecha design. I was shocked by that. I was not able to believe that someone that drew the designs for Gundam could also draw designs for mecha that were these comical beings in Muteking."

"In terms of Gundam 00, since that was my first Gundam title that I had worked on it was something that I was frantically trying to do my best on. Back then I didn't have much space to consider my own direction."

"With Gundam AGE, since most of the mecha on the protagonist’s side were assigned to me, I was able to design them by considering coherency among them and adjusting their overall looks. There were some restrictions due to toy merchandising, but I think I was able to finish them up well."

"When I had originally talked to Masakazu Ogawa I said that I would like to work on the enemy mecha design this time if he would like to engage me. In Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans I worked on designing the Graze. In the way that we have the classic Gundam and the Zaku, the Zaku exists so that you have a better recognition of the Gundam. I wouldn't say it is as clear-cut as light and shadow but for the Graze, the Gundam Barbatos is its opposite existence. The Graze is there to make the Gundam Barbatos more distinct. So having the Graze being able to work with the main Gundam was important."
Old 2019-03-28, 22:56   Link #735
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I was about to post this in "Ridiculous Image"-thread, but since this one is official, I decided to put it here :

YouTube

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2019-03-31 at 00:35.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-29, 09:42   Link #736
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Guys, it's very sad to say, but we just lost Mirai

May she rests in peace. We're going to really miss you, Miss Shiraishi as well as your Mirai character. She finally went after her anime-husband, Hirotaka Suzuoki as Bright Noa.

Now, both the power couple of UC will (presumably) finally be voiced by new Seiyuus in Hathaway's Flash after Ken Narita stepped up for the late Suzuoki.
Old 2019-07-04, 22:32   Link #737
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

YouTube

New build

and Origin TV

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-11, 06:37   Link #738
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Gundam vs. Hello Kitty Episode 2:

YouTube
Old 2019-07-27, 03:22   Link #739
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Since we are in the "Gundam Anniversary"-spirit, it's time to learn about the little-known piece of Gundam history called Doozy Bots

YouTube

More of it here :
Spoiler for saving space:
Old 2019-07-31, 00:10   Link #740
AHT

YouTube
AHT is offline   Reply With Quote