AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-02-04, 17:24   Link #1481
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
So you are saying Mass Effect was never an RPG then?

My argument was that ME1 never required me to have a fast trigger finger. Nor do I need to be dead accurate because ammo refills. It is all too easy to revise history and claim ME was never an RPG. But fair enough; no point trying to kick me out when I am already walking on my own.
Mass Effect was an RPG. Mass Effect 2 was an RPG. Mass Effect 3 will be an RPG. You assume a role and you play it, with roleplaying aspects. People complained these were toned down in ME2, so they have brought many of them back in ME3. The difference between Mass Effect and say, The Witcher, is that Mass Effect is a shooter sci-fi RPG. It always has been, it always will be.

Also, no fast trigger finger, or waiting for ammo refills was necessary in ME2. That's what Adept was for.
Darkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 17:38   Link #1482
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
You know, I have to ask, what is your deal? Every-time I see you post in the games thread its to complain about something having multiplayer or having an online component. Why the hate? Don't like playing with others?

And yeah the Mass Effect series has always been a shooter, just one with RPG elements added to it. Trying to say otherwise is just plain false.
No more different than game reviewers mocking Single Player games or RPGs. Or in the case of the recent X-com, "no one play stratedgy games anymore".

When I play, I want to enjoy myself. And it is my business what makes my gaming experience fun.

To be frank, if I ever get Griefed online, I will likely try to track down the person and physically murder him. It is best that I only play on my own. I take things personally.
Old 2012-02-04, 17:40   Link #1483
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
So you are saying Mass Effect was never an RPG then?

My argument was that ME1 never required me to have a fast trigger finger. Nor do I need to be dead accurate because ammo refills. It is all too easy to revise history and claim ME was never an RPG. But fair enough; no point trying to kick me out when I am already walking on my own.
In ME1 if I was an Infiltrator I needed a decent accuracy, now if I was playing as other class then to certain degrees no. So basically depends on your style.

And Mass Effect 3 seems to have more rpg elements than 2, I would think people would be happy about it.
Old 2012-02-04, 17:45   Link #1484
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
In ME1 if I was an Infiltrator I needed a decent accuracy, now if I was playing as other class then to certain degrees no. So basically depends on your style.

And Mass Effect 3 seems to have more rpg elements than 2, I would think people would be happy about it.
I would be, but they threw in Multiplayer.

Yada Yada, multi-player is optional... Like I believe that. It's just PR to try to keep Single Player gamers. In reality all multiplayer games try to force people to play because it needed high concentration of participants to work properly. There would always be something missing.

They said they balanced the shooter and RPG elements in ME2. They lied. I am not going to believe the same PR the second time.
Old 2012-02-04, 17:54   Link #1485
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:

Yada Yada, multi-player is optional... Like I believe that. It's just PR to try to keep Single Player gamers. In reality all multiplayer games try to force people to play because it needed high concentration of participants to work properly. There would always be something missing.

They said they balanced the shooter and RPG elements in ME2. They lied. I am not going to believe the same PR the second time.
Well all I am going to say is I think it would better for you to judge the game after the release or till the demo comes out. Who knows they might actually keep their promises.
Old 2012-02-04, 17:54   Link #1486
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
If you don't have a fast trigger finger you can play on "story mode" where there's lots of story role playing choices, and easier controls/combat.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 17:57   Link #1487
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

Or just play Adept and never have to fire a gun. Seriously.
Darkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 18:50   Link #1488
Undertaker

Don't know if anyone knows already, but if you play the demo for Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning, you got got extra equipment for ME3. One for just starting the demo another for finishing the demo. One is Reckoner Knight Armor and the other is The Chakram Launcher.
Old 2012-02-04, 21:04   Link #1489
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

EA: Mass Effect 3 Demo FAQ

The last question is quite interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA
Can you play the Multiplayer demo solo?

You can of course try, but it will be difficult as Multiplayer is designed for more than one person to play.
Which points out to the ability to start a multiplayer session with only 1 player, which is going to be a very good challenge.

Quote:

Name me one non-coop game that FORCED you to play multiplayer to the detriment of the singleplayer game. And I mean a game mechanic that purposefully gimps the singleplayer to require you to play the MP.

For all manner of games I've played, not one game has forced me to actually go to the multiplayer to enjoy it. The closest I can come to is Battlefield 3, and that's because the Battlefield franchise has always been MP first.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.

Last edited by LoweGear; 2012-02-04 at 21:15.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 21:13   Link #1490
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Yeah. Unlike, say, game elements that need multiplayer.
Remind me, what game elements need multiplayer again? Everything in the game can be cleared single-player. Multiplayer just helps the war effort, which means you can get the 'perfect' ending with less side-quests.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 08:46   Link #1491
Key Board
Carbon

ME3 achievement

potentially spoilerish, but not as damaging as ME2's achievements

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/g.../achievements/
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 12:02   Link #1492
biodude711

Send a message via AIM to biodude711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
ME3 achievement

potentially spoilerish, but not as damaging as ME2's achievements

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/g.../achievements/
Cool. This game's shaping up to be very interesting.
Old 2012-02-05, 14:24   Link #1493
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbeat View Post
Or just play Adept and never have to fire a gun. Seriously.
Did that in ME2. Was forced to use the nuke launcher on the last boss because he was essentially immune to all my skills.

Sort of a sour note to end that game. Maybe explained why I never bothered to replay it.

Find it amusing that there are those who think I have problems. Maybe I am the only person around here who think Griefing is unacceptable. But then, that's maybe why I want to have nothing to do with the multiplayer scene. It is about getting as much fun from other humans as you can. One way is to get joy from the suffering of others. Maybe I am the only humanbeing who think there is something wrong about that.

It did shock me that the Diablo 3 developer openly admit he was a griefer. Maybe that's the socially acceptable thing now.
Old 2012-02-05, 14:35   Link #1494
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

Quote:

Find it amusing that there are those who think I have problems. Maybe I am the only person around here who think Griefing is unacceptable. But then, that's maybe why I want to have nothing to do with the multiplayer scene. It is about getting as much fun from other humans as you can. One way is to get joy from the suffering of others. Maybe I am the only humanbeing who think there is something wrong about that.
When you suggest that you would actually inflict physical harm upon another person because they griefed you out online...then yes, you do have problems.
Old 2012-02-05, 14:43   Link #1495
biodude711

Send a message via AIM to biodude711
Quote:
Thinking that griefing is unacceptable is one thing. Wanting to kill someone who griefed you is another.
Old 2012-02-05, 15:29   Link #1496
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

Vallen was using a hyperbole, using that one sentence to show their general intolerance of griefing. They weren't being literal. At least I hope not, the only good killing is in videogames.

I hate griefing, I never do it. But that won't stop me from enjoying the multiplayer. Even though I hate multiplayer with a burning passion, I can't miss out on the opportunity to play as races I'd never be able to otherwise. If you don't like the multiplayer then you can skip it entirely. Hell, they even said it was optional and not really necessary in order to beat the game and get the golden ending.

Y so serious guys?
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 15:34   Link #1497
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Remind me, what game elements need multiplayer again? Everything in the game can be cleared single-player. Multiplayer just helps the war effort, which means you can get the 'perfect' ending with less side-quests.
Knowing me I still will do all the side-quests anyway. Because that's what I always do.

Question: Is MP only coop?
Because if it is I don't quit get it what a discussion about griefing has to do with the ME3 MP, does it have any competetive modes? Or do you mean someone killing you with friendly fire all the time? (seems like a fast way to get kicked out of the game to me...)

Well I personaly hope it is only coop.
Old 2012-02-05, 15:49   Link #1498
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
Knowing me I still will do all the side-quests anyway. Because that's what I always do.

Because if it is I don't quit get it what a discussion about griefing has to do with the ME3 MP, does it have any competetive modes? Or do you mean someone killing you with friendly fire all the time? (seems like a fast way to get kicked out of the game to me...)

coop only. Yeah in this one you are not really competing against other people all you are doing is playing together with other as a team. Well I suppose I guess there might some d-bag online who might try to screw others.
Old 2012-02-05, 22:50   Link #1499
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Oh you know for the longest time I thought Mass Effect 3 would include competitive multiplayer in addition to Cooperative gameplay. But if it appears that there isn't any competitive multiplayer that just makes the multiplayer aspect of the game easier to tolerate especially if it really is just a small part of the game.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 11:06   Link #1500
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post

MP is Coop only yes, no competitive modes. And it's confirmed that there'll be no friendly fire in MP, so no worries about your teammates killing you for purpose.

So yes, I don't understand how griefing would be a problem in ME3.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
effect, games, mass