AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

View Poll Results: Suisei no Gargantia - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 9 13.24%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 30.88%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 33.82%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 11.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 5.88%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.47%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.47%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-30, 00:38   Link #121
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Rule of Anime: if you haven't seen the body, assume Alive.
Old 2013-05-30, 17:52   Link #122
lightbringer
M9000

Pretty sure she's still alive, but it's a toss up as to whether she'll appear again or not. I seem to recall her being mentioned in this (or was it the previous) episode so my money's on her making another appearance though.
Old 2013-05-30, 18:43   Link #123
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Her and her mecha crashed into the ocean at pretty high velocity. That was the last we saw of her. I don't recall there being any ships around to retrieve her; at least not any ships that would be likely to do so (it's a pretty safe bet Gargantia didn't).

I won't be shocked if she shows up again in some capacity, but if she doesn't come back, I'm going to think she probably died.

In all likelihood, she was just an one-shot villain, albeit a very fun and colorful one.
Old 2013-05-30, 20:02   Link #124
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I'd be really surprised if Rackage and her slaves didn't appear again.

I see two possible scenarios for her comeback.

1) It was mentioned that the Gargantia would be defenseless without Flange and that could be a foreshadowing to a new attack from the pirates where they will inevitably win and even capture the fleet.

2) The lost technology that Flange and Pinion are trying to recover is certainly something that Rackage would want to get her hands on. While she can't win against Chamber, she might take advantage of the fact he will have his hands full with the Hideauze.

Old 2013-05-31, 06:52   Link #125
Folenfant
Banned

I see what they are trying to do with this show more with this episode even if it was on the slow and thin side ongoing development wise. A few characters are sort of at a crossroads and have to make some tough decisions for the first time possibly in their lives on whether to choose the easy simpler path in staying with the Gargantia and forgoing the duties they feel have been placed on them or going off into the unknown to follow their destiny (hence the separation anxiety theme) and pretty much all of them make the harder choice (at least it appears that way on the surface) to follow their own leanings independent of each other and assume whatever role life and their upbringing has dealt them for the sake of a what they hope will be a better life for those they care about in the long run.

Most interesting this episode was Ridget (who to me has been not only the most interesting female cast member but the most interesting Gargantia borne character period and has development that kind of parallels Ledo. Despite this she lacks her own character page) who literally lets her hair down and assumes the mantle of Fleet Commander which was basically forced on her despite her worries she's not ready and she seems to have won the support of at least some of the Gargantia citizens. Ledo finally appears to leave the ship to pursue the Hideauze/whalesquid after several episodes of menacing (I say this jokingly but then again it's kind of the case) his friends with the idea that they won't survive if they don't let him try to do his thing or that they're just plain going to die when the whalequids show up again so we'll see what happens there. Amy is still just Amy and remains my least favorite character in the entire thing and it looks like Pinion will potentially try to accompany Ledo to get his vengeance.

All that said my main worry remains that the show just simply does not have enough to time to explore all the potential plot threads and resolution to the series core themes of separation and finding ones place in the world. The show up to this point has been unusually slow paced for a 12 episode series and pretty thin on plot and character development relying instead a lot on atmosphere and depiction of every day life on the Gargantia and the contrast with Ledo's militaristic outlook on life to unfold it's tale, but it's honestly been pretty uneventful so far such that I just can't imagine things speeding up in the final 4 episodes or whether it's even a good idea. It'll be really interesting to see how the show handles it's final act and whether it will continue to struggle to bring events and its themes forward in progression or deliver a satisfying conclusion that justifies the way it's chosen to spend the 4 and a half hours it has.
Old 2013-05-31, 08:36   Link #126
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folenfant View Post
All that said my main worry remains that the show just simply does not have enough to time to explore all the potential plot threads and resolution to the series core themes of separation and finding ones place in the world. The show up to this point has been unusually slow paced for a 12 episode series and pretty thin on plot and character development relying instead a lot on atmosphere and depiction of every day life on the Gargantia and the contrast with Ledo's militaristic outlook on life to unfold it's tale, but it's honestly been pretty uneventful so far such that I just can't imagine things speeding up in the final 4 episodes or whether it's even a good idea. It'll be really interesting to see how the show handles it's final act and whether it will continue to struggle to bring events and its themes forward in progression or deliver a satisfying conclusion that justifies the way it's chosen to spend the 4 and a half hours it has.
That's my main issue with the show thus far; it really should've been at least 24 episodes for its scope. But then, as I said in another thread, I also think Madoka also had some pacing issues and should've been 24 eps for all the ground it was trying to cover.

And I'm glad some people are speaking more highly of Ridget. I never thought of it that way before, but you're right, in some ways she is Gargantia's counterpart to Ledo.
Old 2013-05-31, 09:04   Link #127
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

I guess Ledo chose to continue being a soldier. Then again, it is hard to change one's perspective. As expected though, it got dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
It boils down to energy. Gargantia don't produce energy themselves but merely recharges their batteries.

But if say they rediscover say nuclear power they'll be attacked as Hideauze are energy feeders.

Already they share a habitat in Sea Galaxy nanomachines.

Gargantians act like people in bear country. Don't spook the bears.

Avalon and its colonies are suburbia... They shoot bears.
Well, that's one way to interpret it.
Old 2013-06-04, 01:35   Link #128
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

This episode was soothing and yet so sad, since it has attached the meaning of "departures" and "going separate ways" all over.

What makes me afraid about change is that it comes out of the blue without warning, and yet everyone has to somehow cope with those changes.

The Gargantians had a pleasant time, but things changed, and Fairlock's death meant the end of an old era, and it's up to Ridget taking the mantle to start a new era for the sake of the Gargantians's peace and prosperity.

Flange and his people had gone their separate ways, and so Pinion, and Ledo with his mission still on due course: Eliminate Hideauze before they begin to make war against the Earthlings.

I do not want to take sides or seem biased.

With so little information for the time being, Ledo's reaction and course of action may seem natural, though not understandable to Amy the most, as to why he takes all those risks and wanting to cause unncessary conflict.

If I want to stand a middle ground between two opposing sides, Ledo has his reasons.

And maybe or not the whalesquids would turn out dangerous later for the Earthlings, but I would want to believe the Earthling strain is less vicious than the space Hideauze.
Old 2013-06-06, 16:45   Link #129
chaos_alfa

I found them making such a big deal about Ledo leaving a bit strange. Wouldn't Ledo with the help of Chamber be able to easily locate the Gargantia with his sensors and be able to quickly bridge that distance whenever he wanted it?

Last edited by chaos_alfa; 2013-06-06 at 17:18.
Closed Thread