AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2003-12-24, 23:44   Link #1
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Just wanted to bounce something off the admins. I know the current size limit for Avatars is 100x100 pixels. Would it be out of line to ask for an upgrade in the allowable size of avatars to either 130 or preferably 150 pixels? I don't know if that's doable with the current server system, but I thought I'd ask anyways. If it's for other reasons we can't do it, that's fine too. I just wanted to throw around the idea and see if we could do it. IF we can't, then no biggy, I'll just drop the idea then. But I figured it can't hurt to ask.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-24, 23:50   Link #2
Forse
r00t for life

well from past exp I can safely say it's not going to happen
Forse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-24, 23:54   Link #3
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Question

I see no technical reason why we can't... Are you wanting to make use of a larger more detailed image for an avatar? Maybe you could use your signature for it?

I personally don't think increasing the limit would be a good thing. 100x100 is already bigger than a lot of sites use (60 or 80). 130 might not be so bad but (IMHO) anything bigger just starts to take up way too much of the page.

Clearly GHDpro and Mb81 to have final say on this -- as it relates to the forum look and the server bandwidth -- I just give my opinion because I don't see an advantage to changing the current settings?
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-25, 00:06   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Our new server definetly has the bandwidth. The question is how many people are viewing this forum on 56K modems? Those people wouldn't larger avatars to download. I'd agree that 130x130 is a good maximum size. That is about how large it could be and still fit comfortably in the column to the left of the post. I don't want that column made any larger.

Perhaps large avatars could be a perk and sign of being a moderator or having a high reputation?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-25, 00:10   Link #5
Forse
r00t for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
The question is how many people are viewing this forum on 56K modems?
Modem users can disable avatar/sig viewing from CP

P.S. I didn't want to create a new thread for this so I post here: Can forum be modded to display sig once per page? That would improve outlook and would make threads easier to read.
Forse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-25, 01:21   Link #6
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Hey, 130 pixels is fine. And yes, I was thinking that the 100x100 size limit tends to kill a good looking avatar in many cases. But 130 is perfectly fine. I can do plenty with a 130x130 avatar. If it's a no-go right now, that's perfectly fine. Oh, and no offence nightwish, but I'm not a big one for putting images into sigs. Just personal preference. hehe.
Old 2003-12-25, 01:26   Link #7
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
no offence nightwish, but I'm not a big one for putting images into sigs. Just personal preference. hehe.
None taken. I don't like it much myself, which is why I have them turned off...
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-25, 02:33   Link #8
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

If you make it 130x130, some day people are going to ask to make it 150x150. Personally, I think the 100x100 size is just perfect. It's large enough to allow a lot of detail, yet small enough that it fits very neatly on the left side.

I fear the day when I see a 130x130 animated avatar. That's just too big and too distracting.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-25, 02:43   Link #9
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
I fear the day when I see a 130x130 animated avatar. That's just too big and too distracting.
That's why avatars should be 100*100 and no more.

I dont want to think about a 130*130 animated avatar. :scared:
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-25, 02:47   Link #10
Thelastguardian

100x100 is pretty normal these days, but since the theme for this forum is anime, why not make it a bit bigger?

I don't see how it could possiblelly increase bandwidth by folds as not everyone has avatar, plus most computers cache pictures. But I am not the boss, the moderators are.

just my 2cents
Old 2003-12-25, 10:14   Link #11
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Hmm. I think 100x100 should typically be enough.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-25, 10:51   Link #12
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
Hmm. I think 100x100 should typically be enough.
Thank goodness...
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-25, 11:06   Link #13
Tboz

Hmm... I find the size just nice at 100x100. Anything bigger will need getting use to, or probably some changes to the layout to make it look balanced.
Tboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-25, 22:04   Link #14
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Hmm, well, looks like it's kind of divided between larger avatars of 130x130 and staying with the existing 100x100. I guess my biggest thing with wanting the 130x130 was that I've found a couple of good pics I could make into avatars that looked horrid after shrinking down to 100x100, but looked find at 130x130 and even better at 150x150. I guess that's partially why I asked. But again, it's the mods and admins who'd have final say, so whatever they choose is fine. Bigger is better, but I'll leave that up to the gods of Animesuki.
Old 2003-12-26, 04:38   Link #15
ato
Oups...

Bigger certainly isn't always better! I am strongly in favour of keeping the limit to 100x100 - It is just below the limit where the avatars begin to take up more space than the average posting does. Any larger would just be wasting screen space...IMHO of course
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-26, 10:15   Link #16
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forse
Modem users can disable avatar/sig viewing from CP
Yeah, we can, but we don't want to. I like seeing everybody's avatars, but I'd rather not have to wait forever for the pages to load. The avatar size as it is, is very tolerable. So, I feel no need to disable the images to aid load speed...at the moment.
Vulkar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags