Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-06-30, 13:15   Link #301
Trisse
Habitual Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Are you dissing my SaiKano? I don't see how anything is forced except for the ending, which in my opinion isn't really good. The best part of the ending is how it is used to start the series.
I’m not talking about series as a whole here. I think Saikano was interesting, especially in the way it conveyed very real Japanese post war trauma (though I had to read a couple of real Japanese WWII diaries to truly appreciate that). But we were discussing the most depressing series here, and while I know a lot of people mention Saikano whenever « sad & depressing » category is discussed, I wasn’t affected as much, mainly because at times I had the feeling the series is trying too hard to get those particular emotions from me.

The ending (well, mainly the « event » in the latter half of final episode) seemed waaay over the top. IMO, the same holds true for some of the drama in between, especially some things Shuji said or did (can’t give you exact « when and where », it’s been years since I watched Saikano). I found some of this forced and, above all, unnecessary, as through the series the situation itself was usually more than enough for getting emotional response from the viewer. For me this was too transparent, and lessened the overall impact.

Of course, all this is purely personal opinion, but then, personal opinions were what the OP wanted.

BTW, I’m slow. I just realised this thread is over four years old. Surprised me, somehow.
Trisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-26, 16:48   Link #302
CinemaZebra
Okinawan Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajideTime View Post
Saikano, which speaks for itself, really, and that one episode of Cowboy Bebop, with the guy who wanted Spike to teach him how to fight, that really got me. In fact, Cowboy Bebop does that a lot, especially the last episode.
Yes, Cowboy Bebop should be in here. That's part of the reason it's my favorite show of all time, it manages to have very tragic moments and hysterically funny moments while not blending it awkwardly.
CinemaZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-27, 06:59   Link #303
xia

There's been a couple of shows that have been sad that made me think.

One being: Now and then, here and There
A story of a world turn apart by war and atrocities by a king that was completely mad. There were a couple parts where I felt on the verge of tears. A very depressing show.

Thanks vandakiara for the sig!
Currently watching
On deck for 08/09: Claymore, Monster, Paradise Kiss,
xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-27, 23:55   Link #304
Solidus1321

Send a message via Yahoo to Solidus1321
Well for me I say FMA
Solidus1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 13:41   Link #305
anime ronin
death by animeoverdos X_X

ide have to say air tv

PIRATES DOCKING 6!!! GIANT ROBOT SOLDIER!!! BIG EMPEROR!!!
anime ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 14:05   Link #306
Jeiku

I have to say that in retrospect, SaiKano was really over-the-top and unbelievably forced. I thought it was moderately sad when I first watched it, but looking back I'm not even shaken up over it in the least. I don't like series that try to squeeze as much emotion out of the viewers, rather than letting them decide for themselves how to react to particular scenes. It seemed like this anime was intent on trying to make me cry every two minutes.

That said, it's not a bad series. It has an interesting story and good characters. But SaiKano tries too hard at every corner to be something it is already known for. It just doesn't bring any tears to my eyes. I don't find it sad, not by a long shot.
Jeiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-29, 22:41   Link #307
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Saikano wasn't so much forced as incorrectly handled.
There was war, there was loss, there was death, etc. But given 13 episodes, there really wasn't enough of a focus; the idea was there, but emotional involvement wasn't. Characters who had received too little focus were being killed off and involved in tragedy, and I really only cared for two or three of them.
The similar Iriya no Sora, UFO Natsu (while also not a perfect anime) was able to involve the viewer by focusing more on a select few characters and specifically them, as opposed to a large cast it couldn't handle.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-30, 00:28   Link #308
Torak

I would have to agree with FMA, It almost seem like constantly something was happening to only emotionally scar Edward and Al.
Torak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-30, 18:29   Link #309
khouram

school days
Old 2008-07-31, 07:46   Link #310
Solafighter
Hige

Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora.

Spoiler for why..(Spoiler warning):
Old 2008-07-31, 08:13   Link #311
emotionless_teenage
mr. nice guy

maybe pokemon movie(s),like latios-latias,etc
and chobits too,it is quite weird to watch an anime that makes you laugh in the beginning and then makes you to cry later
emotionless_teenage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-31, 08:19   Link #312
Taricitous

Send a message via MSN to Taricitous
School days (ps sux to be him got wats coming to him to a degree) and Graveyard of Fireflies
Old 2008-08-02, 01:08   Link #313
Banjou Haran

There's a lot of good choices already of course. And, I have to agree with the posters who mentioned:

Grave of Fireflies

That's a very depressing and sad film. It feels like historical fiction. The more realistic the anime. The more realistic the sadness for me. I also have to add Berusaiyu no Bara (Rose of Versailles) both the anime and manga series. Another historical fiction series with quite a lot of melancholy and tragedy.

But, since I am a fan of Tomino. And of course these next shows are all either Super Robot or Real Robot shows. But, I would have to say quite a few of his series feature lots of tragedy and sadness. Like Zambot 3, Daitarn 3's ending, parts of V-Gundam, Zeta Gundam and Space Runaway Ideon along with it's movies: The Ideon: A Contact and
The Ideon: Be Invoked.
Banjou Haran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-02, 02:42   Link #314
space cowboy
cowboy of space

Saikano being the saddest Manga i've read for sure, without a doubt.

Obvious choices for anime are Air, grave of the fireflies and scrapped princess.

With scrapped princess it has to be where
space cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-02, 10:01   Link #315
FuKkaTsUyA

Too much...
For the anime I will say Kenshin, Romeo x Juliet ( only the 8 first episode and the end was worth watching thought), and an epic anime Legend of the Galactic Heroes ( THE BEST ).
For the manga Princess, Immortal Rain and Berserk ( the saddest but pure awesoness, Not recommended for the tender-hearted)
FuKkaTsUyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-02, 23:49   Link #316
anime ronin
death by animeoverdos X_X

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouram View Post
school days
agreed... ending had one of the biggest impacts on me out of any anime ive seen

PIRATES DOCKING 6!!! GIANT ROBOT SOLDIER!!! BIG EMPEROR!!!
anime ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 02:30   Link #317
Onchuu_Norin
Clandestine Otaku

Cool

In the end of Basilisk, the two lovers Genosuke and Oboro are forced to face each other to battle to the death. Oboro kills herself. Then Genosuke ends up killing himself. As their corpses float along the river, their bodies still embrace each other.
Onchuu_Norin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 02:37   Link #318
ShinigamiRukia
Ketchup Drinker

Send a message via MSN to ShinigamiRukia
Clannad, somehow that anime had me crying buckets of tears!

Thanks mangalowres for the avatar ^^
Thanks vandakiara
for the sig. ^^
ShinigamiRukia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 08:06   Link #319
Amray

Fullmetal Alchemist was another for me. That had many upsetting and dark-themed scenes that made one feel sad. When I watched it the second-time through episode 25 almost got me.

Spoiler for Fullmetal Alchemist. Episode 25.:
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-12, 05:56   Link #320
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

Windaria (dubbed) - yea i was only like 12 or something and that is before the internet was so popular

Elfen Lied

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
bbduece is offline   Reply With Quote