AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 14 23.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 17 28.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 21.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 11.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 13.33%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.67%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-12-31, 18:55   Link #81
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Yes, on AT-X.
So AT-X considers one hour into the Afternoon as the Morning?
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 19:17   Link #82
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
So AT-X considers one hour into the Afternoon as the Morning?
What? Are you talking about the 13:00 time? Then, yes, that's just how the time is listed, but it really is 1 PM (in Japan).

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 19:21   Link #83
Cight

It says something interesting about the universe of this series that espers can control things by will alone. It could quite likely be a computer program ala the Matrix. That way laws of physics can be ignored (like the conservation of energy) and entities can know everything about the world (how game AI cheats). If you think about it Accelerator's ability requires both of these things. Not only can he change the direction of objects with no inertia but he can increase their speed as well. He also has to know everything about an object he touches - how big it is, how many atoms it contains so he can manipulate the entire thing. And Touma's ability would work just like Neo's when he rejects being shot by the agents - <insert Adam quote here>. Although it's more of restore to defaults ability.
Cight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 20:05   Link #84
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
What? Are you talking about the 13:00 time? Then, yes, that's just how the time is listed, but it really is 1 PM (in Japan).
Actually it's 2:30 am there when the show is on.

I should know Japan is just up north from where I live.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 20:19   Link #85
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Actually it's 2:30 am there when the show is on.

I should know Japan is just up north from where I live.
That's the Saturday (uh... Sunday) airing, we're talking about the Thursday airings on AT-X.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 20:33   Link #86
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

Quote:
1. Why would it reflect back? Don't tell me, just because? It says "skin" but eye=/=skin, and yet it reflects back...

2. Assuming the bomb hits him. If the bomb explodes before that... (From what I remember, the use on the Japanese cities had the bombs exploding before it landed...?)

Supposedly, Wed night (Thurs morning for JP).
i dont think he will be damaged from heat or the impact since he will merely reflect it away. therefore the bomb wont kill him =/
kingsky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 19:17   Link #87
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

Dude, no villain in recent memory had been someone I hated more since this punk Accelerator. I can't wait for Touma to kick his ass.
khryoleoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-01, 19:31   Link #88
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Disclaimer: I am not a novel reader.
Scientific explanations? Ok, based on this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Accelerator
The most powerful Psychic in the Academy City. A sadistic boy about the same age as Touma, he has an ability called "Redirection", a form of telekinesis. He can change the vector values of anything he touches. He has to consciously allow gravity to affect him, and can block out all sound. Furthermore, this ability is automatic so projectiles like bullets or explosives like bombs have no effect on him, as they will be redirected. It is because of his ability that he has an albino appearance (white hair, red eyes and pale skin), for his body blocks all ultraviolet radiation and in turn prevents the skin from manufacturing melanin.
Basically, he can control forces, velocity (and therefore, acceleration). So, how can he:

a. passively reflect high-speed projectiles (bullets, shrapnel, etc)?
Newton's third law, to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction; normal force. These projectiles will not in any way harm him (due to contact force) and they will just be reflected at the same velocity. How? By simply setting the velocity of the projectile to zero upon "impact" and let the normal force governed by Newton's third law do its job (he could also modify the strength of this force, from making the projectile simply drop to the ground to making it move even faster). Of course, he could also just make an inverse event horizon-like semipermeable "membrane" (made of all possible forces/paths pointing out) around himself, where instead of keeping stuff from going out of the horizon, it makes most foreign matter and radiation unable to get inside (this is what I suspect he's doing).

b. fly?
Step one: Set my acceleration due to gravity to 0 meters per second per second. Step two: Now that I am no longer bound by gravity, I can accelerate myself at will.

c. make a dust explosion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Telekinesis; movement of matter
Speed up or slow down the naturally occurring vibrations of atoms in matter to alter temperature, possibly to the point of ignition if combustible (also known as pyrokinesis and cryokinesis respectively).
Theoretically, he could also freeze water (or just about anything) just by touching it (thanks to convection). This also means he is immune to extreme temperatures. Pour liquid nitrogen on him and he's either gonna evaporate it or redirect it. Magma? You just gave him a huge chunk of rock to use against you.

d. make the ground beneath him seemingly burst out with a "war stomp"?
He modifies the direction and strength of the forces beneath his feet to mimic the effects of a minor impact event. This same tactic is used for his "super kick" move, and possibly for his punches and other physical attacks, with varying strengths.

Another fun fact about his power is that he can manipulate the direction of light to make his hand (or his entire body) act like a mirror, omit colors (light wavelengths) from his appearance or make himself look black, or make himself invisible. And with sound - for starters - he could modify the tone, pitch and volume of his voice.

Spoiler for Shirai Kuroko:

And talking about rankings, I believe that the psychics are ranked according to their understanding and creative use of their abilities (a very good example of this would be Mikoto's progression form Level 01 to Level 05). Going by this, Accelerator would be the most exploitative bastard in Academy City. Cheater.

Last edited by Ice Block; 2009-01-02 at 19:07. Reason: Shirai Kuroko stuff spoiler-boxed
Ice Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 03:34   Link #89
Kagedanji
Doughy goodness. I think.

So after this episode, could we compare Accelerator's evil-ness to Dio Brando's?
Old 2009-01-02, 05:35   Link #90
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

@At 2 posts above

1. Wikipedia... *laugh*
Let's use what we have in front of us, not the site where anyone can edit

2. No one knows why Accelerator looks the way he is as this point, your post nicely spoils it...

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2009-01-02, 13:16   Link #91
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

I wouldnt mind as well if you put those wiki parts that explain manga material that isnt covered yet in the anime in spoilers.

Like Kurokos level, her abilities and some more bits.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 19:53   Link #92
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Shirai Kuroko stuff spoilerized. Sorry, failed to realize they haven't elaborated yet on the nature of her ability - just briefly stating that she's a Teleporter.

However, note that even though I already omitted most of Accelerator's character description, I chose to include the UV-ray blocking stuff since I believe that would be expected given the nature of his ability. One can simply deduce that anything not needed by his body will be automatically redirected, and since UV can do more harm than good (with its beneficial effects easily covered up by dietary supplements), it is reflected casually. Now, if you do a quick google one would know that no UV exposure = no Melanogenesis... My point: a little analysis goes a long way. For all I know, since its a wiki and all and anyone can edit, that was an inference based on the given facts. So, justified?

@sb: Don't trust Wikipedia? Okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by To Aru Majutsu no Index Ep. 11 (Eclipse)
Accelerator: The answer is "vector change".
Momentum, heat, electric charge...
All kinds of "vectors" can be changed with just the touch of my skin.
I do have it set on "reflect" as default, though
Based on this, I can quote my previous post and nothing would have changed. Do I win?

PS: I just realized that his powers couldn't possibly be tied to just his skin, since he clearly doesn't have skin contact with the ground during his "war stomps". I believe his ability is like a small aura/bubble of hax around him, where all vectors within that bubble he can modify (like Mikoto's and the SISTERS' passive electromagnetic aura and discharges). This also makes the explanation for his reflective barrier much simpler.
Old 2009-01-02, 20:04   Link #93
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
However, note that even though I already omitted most of Accelerator's character description, I chose to include the UV-ray blocking stuff since I believe that would be expected given the nature of his ability. One can simply deduce that anything not needed by his body will be automatically redirected, and since UV can do more harm than good (with its beneficial effects easily covered up by dietary supplements), it is reflected casually. Now, if you do a quick google one would know that no UV exposure = no Melanogenesis... My point: a little analysis goes a long way.

@sb: Don't trust Wikipedia? Okay.

PS: I just realized that his powers couldn't possibly be tied to just his skin, since he clearly doesn't have skin contact with the ground during his "war stomps". I believe his ability is like a small aura/bubble of hax around him, where all vectors within that bubble he can modify (like Mikoto's and the SISTERS' passive electromagnetic aura and discharges). This also makes the explanation for his reflective barrier much simpler.
A little... rather, I find it hard to even think about that unless someone told you it in the first place... There are quite a number of white hair/skin anime characters existing after all, and they don't all suffer from... whatever that's called.

Rather than the problem of true/false, it's more of the fact that it is written by the people who read it that's the problem... Especially with this series where the explanations/results/rules are written in a messy manner... The interpretations are different...

Right~ That's the thing. The author clearly declares his power to connect to his skin, yet she writes the story like it's completely different.

Old 2009-01-02, 20:36   Link #94
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
A little... rather, I find it hard to even think about that unless someone told you it in the first place... There are quite a number of white hair/skin anime characters existing after all, and they don't all suffer from... whatever that's called.
Maybe so, but not all of them I believe have an ability that can block UV-rays.

Anyway,
Quote:
Rather than the problem of true/false, it's more of the fact that it is written by the people who read it that's the problem... Especially with this series where the explanations/results/rules are written in a messy manner... The interpretations are different...

Right~ That's the thing. The author clearly declares his power to connect to his skin, yet she writes the story like it's completely different.
I see... well, retcons happen when an author gets stuck with some contradiction within his/her work. I have experienced this on one of the most retconed stories in the last 2 decades, Warcraft. This series is so prone to retcons that the authors have introduced a new way to fool-proof their alterations -- Flavor Lore.
Spoiler for Flavor Lore, saving space:

Well, lets see if Index's author (due to too much contradictions and not enough research on the science side) resorts to flavor lore in the long run.
Old 2009-01-03, 01:57   Link #95
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Well, if they were going for absolutely psychotic with Accelerator, they succeeded. Though that guy is the biggest prick ever, he makes an excellent bad-guy. A guy you love to hate. Or hate to hate. Whatever. In any case, Touma is gonna have his hands full. I know he can cancel supernatural powers, but he can't stop physical phenomena. That is, if he touches Acc. he'll be able to atop him from using his vector changing powers, but he can't stop, for instance, a falling I-beam like were shown in the OP. Vectors or no vectors. If Acc. decides to keep his distance and pelt Touma with small projectiles, he's screwed.

Edit: Oh, and I also rated the episode 9/10, for the curious.
Old 2009-01-04, 04:21   Link #96
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Finally an action episode. Still not enough, but entertaining nevertheless.

This show would be so much better if it's a harem anime though, or something like Busou Renkin.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 05:10   Link #97
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart View Post
or something like Busou Renkin.
It'll take years and a miracle for Toaru to become like Busou Renkin (especially in sense)...

Old 2009-01-04, 12:11   Link #98
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Well, if they were going for absolutely psychotic with Accelerator, they succeeded. Though that guy is the biggest prick ever, he makes an excellent bad-guy. A guy you love to hate. Or hate to hate. Whatever. In any case, Touma is gonna have his hands full. I know he can cancel supernatural powers, but he can't stop physical phenomena. That is, if he touches Acc. he'll be able to atop him from using his vector changing powers, but he can't stop, for instance, a falling I-beam like were shown in the OP. Vectors or no vectors. If Acc. decides to keep his distance and pelt Touma with small projectiles, he's screwed.

Edit: Oh, and I also rated the episode 9/10, for the curious.
From Komoe's explanation I derive that anything that violates the natural laws of physics Touma can cancel.

But natural laws can kill him. Its situations like that villains should have a real gun or a real sword.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 20:27   Link #99
gigaloki
The Silent Ninja Perv

Send a message via Yahoo to gigaloki
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
From Komoe's explanation I derive that anything that violates the natural laws of physics Touma can cancel.

But natural laws can kill him. Its situations like that villains should have a real gun or a real sword.
yes, i think this one is true because when touma battles with the alchemist. his arm was torned when the blade hits it.

.................................................. .....................................

i think ep 13 is pretty cool and i rate it 8/10. im cant wait for the next one.

YURINESS

NeverGiveUpPH
gigaloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 20:58   Link #100
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaloki View Post
yes, i think this one is true because when touma battles with the alchemist. his arm was torned when the blade hits it.
Do recall, Touma only cancels stuff that hits his right hand. Lizardo's blade hit him at the shoulder, making Touma's power entirely moot.

For that particular battle, if the blade had hit his hand instead, it would have been canceled, if for no other reason than because Lizardo believed it would be canceled.