4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.65%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.30%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.65%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-09-28, 14:39   Link #41
LuxorMG
ItadakiMAKO

I wonder why they changed the wall scenes so much.

But most anime-only viewers wouldn't notice the changes, and the episode pretty much hits most of the important points.
Old 2013-09-28, 14:45   Link #42
BatouFTW

I knew this thread was goin to be 90% bitching by manga readers. You guys can stop reading here.

For those of us who are watching and enjoying the anime for its own sake... anybody who still feels sorry for Annie after this ep... wow, issues!
BatouFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-28, 14:52   Link #43
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

I certainly never felt sorry for Annie, but I get the impression they're painting her as a tragic character of sorts in order to raise sympathies from viewers. My problem with this is that it falls short when pretty much every other main character has a tragic past, and in some cases worse than hers.
Old 2013-09-28, 14:53   Link #44
kitten320

I don't really see how is it issues when Annie was forced to take part in a mission since she was a child. Then she got attached to people whom she eventually would have to kill (yet she didn't)... that's pretty sad if you ask me.

Just for information, key phrase her father says is "Even if whole world will hate you, I will always be on your side".

Just try to put yourself in her shoes. While her actions towards humanity are unforgivable, I think she deserved at least a bit of pity/compassion from viewer's point of view.

Even raged full Eren seemed shaken by her crying face.

Of course in comparison to Eren/Mikasa, her past is nothing. But unlike them she was constantly put under stress what can lead to mental break down. It actually looked like she had one in episode 23.
Old 2013-09-28, 14:56   Link #45
Eragon
Still Alive

Okay, I just got to ask one thing from those who saw the episode. Did they really put Mikasa in place of Armin in most scenes with Eren ?
Old 2013-09-28, 14:58   Link #46
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Man, that fight scene!

I really liked that last scene where Eren was eating his meal. Kind of reminded me to the first episodes where they had to force him to eat it. Also, it's kind of funny how some hours ago he was eating Titan flesh.

Also that last second with the Colossial Titan... What the heck?!
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-28, 14:59   Link #47
kitten320

Yes.

Mikasa is the one pulling Eren out of titan body unlike in manga where it was Armin.
Armin also isn't sitting on Eren's bed, just standing further down in the room.
Old 2013-09-28, 15:03   Link #48
BatouFTW

So, first my overall reaction. This was not in my top few favorite episodes, for sure. Mainly, I felt that it lacked the desired amount of feels. The reactions of Eren and Mikasa to the events seemed weirdly muted, I was really hoping for some of the emotional impact we had in the classic episodes. Although there was some badass titan fighting, I didn't like it nearly as well as the first faceoff between FT and Eren.

Spoiler:

As for Annie...
Spoiler:

Dat postcredit teaser tho:
Spoiler:
Old 2013-09-28, 15:08   Link #49
BatouFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Just for information, key phrase her father says is
Spoiler:
Old 2013-09-28, 15:09   Link #50
larethian

WTF is with the changes? The stuff with Eren aside, I think they are not going for season 2 given the changes.
Spoiler:
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-28, 15:13   Link #51
BatouFTW

Quote:
Even raged full Eren seemed shaken by her crying face.
Eren is still coming to terms with the depth of her betrayal, as in his difficulty doing the titanshift.

As with the bitching over the tunnel scenes, I do not find it OOC or unrealistic that a period of MINUTES under extreme stress is too long to digest the fact that someone you respected and admired and learned a lot from was just putting on a act and was actually

Spoiler:
Old 2013-09-28, 15:16   Link #52
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for what the heck?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatouFTW View Post
Spoiler:
Nope it's not.

EDIT
: nevermind, I misunderstood the point.
Old 2013-09-28, 15:17   Link #53
kitten320

Quote:
Spoiler:
No, I meant it more in defence.

But I guess you are right.

Actually whole flashback has lots of tiny pieces of information that are important.
Old 2013-09-28, 15:20   Link #54
BatouFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardtengcy View Post
i actually like the animation they did when Eren and Mikasa was alone in the resting room....you can see magic dust!
The plant was a nice touch too, but I thought that scene was way underplayed. Quite emotionally unsatisfying.
Old 2013-09-28, 15:27   Link #55
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
The plant was a nice touch too, but I thought that scene was way underplayed. Quite emotionally unsatisfying.
How was that unsatisfying? If you ask me, it was more unnecessary than anything else. And by "unnecessary", I mean that whatever else you put there to replace it, even if it's more "emotionally satisfying", would be just as useless from a narrative point of view.
Old 2013-09-28, 15:31   Link #56
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Dat postcredit teaser tho:
Spoiler:
It's none of that. It was supposed to the most shocking revelation of the entire series and they completely mishandled it (Mikasa and Hanji not witnessing this will likely cause major problems later on, I assume they'll retcon this in the first ep of the second season) so I can't blame you for misunderstanding. What this is telling us is that the walls are made of titans. It's the kind of revelation that makes you question everything you thought you know, they shouldn't have included it as an afterthought.
Old 2013-09-28, 15:35   Link #57
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

Honesty speak, no matter how Annie is experienced at using her titan form Eren still overwhelmed her. If not for her Harden-skin ability to give her some advantage over Eren, she will be devoured by Eren. Eren's blood lust seem to be the thing that fuel his titan, the more he want to destroy the stronger it become.
Old 2013-09-28, 15:39   Link #58
BatouFTW

Quote:
No, I meant it more in defence.

But I guess you are right.

Actually whole flashback has lots of tiny pieces of information that are important.
Spoiler:
Old 2013-09-28, 15:39   Link #59
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's none of that. It was supposed to the most shocking revelation of the entire series and they completely mishandled it (Mikasa and Hanji not witnessing this will likely cause major problems later on, I assume they'll retcon this in the first ep of the second season) so I can't blame you for misunderstanding. What this is telling us is that the walls are made of titans.
I disagree with that, it's the second most shocking revelation of the entire series and this is nothing compared to how the other one was handled.

Jokes aside, no, they won't retcon anything. Mikasa seeing that or not wouldn't have any impact on the story other than missing one or two epic reaction faces.
As for Hanji, the pastor did mention the "XXXX" during Annie and Eren's fight = he will talk to someone. And as long as he does, it doesn't matter whether it's Hanji or not. I don't see any major problem here.

And one last point, I made a rant about how it's not politically correct to end an anime with a massive overdramatic cliffhanger. I'm glad it didn't happen and that our position is reversed.
Old 2013-09-28, 15:40   Link #60
kitten320

^That's another adaptation problem.

Eren is nowhere near her level. Annie takes him out literally in 2 kicks and one punch. First kick destroys his leg, second his head, and a punch frees her from his teeth grab.

He only lands one punch on her after church scene.

Eren was no match for her in manga while here anime team made Annie look weak.