AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-07-31, 21:48   Link #1441
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

??? Reality??? Futoshi girl swimming up a waterfall, Apachi gaboinging from rooftop to rooftop, and general all-round violations of the known laws of physics?

I don't think so!
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-31, 22:05   Link #1442
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Why I said stick closer. I know it was already a little off, but with the addition of 'energy', it just kinda killed it. I still love the show, but I hope they all don't start 'powering up' and shooting blast.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 00:28   Link #1443
gencbiba

Next thing you know Ken and Ryu make a guest appearance and teach Kenichi how to release his hadouken.

Captain Tsubasa and Dai no Daibouken are being translated!! Check us out at http://www.hiei-tf.fr/frenchies-subs/. Stop on by and show us some love at the forums.
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 00:37   Link #1444
Baka Ronin

Send a message via ICQ to Baka Ronin Send a message via AIM to Baka Ronin Send a message via MSN to Baka Ronin Send a message via Yahoo to Baka Ronin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
Sigh*

I am saddened by episode 41. They added in supernatural energy or "Ki". Damn, was hoping this would stick closer to reality.
Ki is not a made up supernatural energy. It is a foundation in Real Karate.

"There are many strong connections between this philosophy and karate. In solitary practice, karatekas must learn to concentrate on their own movements, letting everything else go. This is a powerful form of meditation. In fighting competitions, karatekas need to react quickly to any action by their opponent. This quickly teaches the karateka to be open and attentive to whatever they encounter: If you're not paying complete attention in a fight, you lose the match.

Not all karatekas practice Zen Buddhism as such. Karate masters might be Jewish, Christian, Hindu or agnostic -- the martial arts discipline fits well with a wide range of religions and beliefs. But to advance through the higher levels of karate, it is essential that a karateka cultivate spiritual power, whatever their religious beliefs. The basic element of this power is ki. Ki is an amorphous, undefinable force, but it is generally described as the energy of life itself. It binds all living things together and gives each person his or her spiritual, physical and mental power. In most schools, beginning karatekas won't worry too much about ki. They focus mainly on proper technique and breathing exercises."

I wont get angry though. Your comment was made out of ignorance, not malice.
Baka Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 00:39   Link #1445
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

Ki did not originate in karate. it is actually from china. similar to buddhism. the concept is far more prevelant in kung fu.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 00:49   Link #1446
Baka Ronin

Send a message via ICQ to Baka Ronin Send a message via AIM to Baka Ronin Send a message via MSN to Baka Ronin Send a message via Yahoo to Baka Ronin
yes the sources I quoted mentioned buddhism, and the chinese call it Chi. its the same thing. I did not say it originated in Karate. My point is Tiger is mistaken in his belief that Ki is not real.
Old 2007-08-01, 00:52   Link #1447
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Maybe it is real, but do you honestly belive it can be used to sense each other's strengths and control the wind?
Old 2007-08-01, 00:53   Link #1448
kujoe
from head to heel

But I thought the roots of kung fu and Buddhism stem from India? Whatever; this isn't exactly the right place to discuss such a topic.

I'm not sure where ki/chi is more prevalent, but martial art fiction and culture incorporate the concept in many ways. It's present within lore and literature.

Anyway, I guess what TigerII is mainly trying to say—beyond whether ki is real or not, and as far as Kenichi is concerned—is that featuring too much over the top portrayals of ki-based fight scenes can turn out to be a negative aspect of the series. And well, I feel the same way. I prefer if the series continues to be more moderate in this matter.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 00:54   Link #1449
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
Maybe it is real, but do you honestly belive it can be used to sense each other's strengths and control the wind?
Realism is NEVER one of the stronger points of anime.

But chi can indeed be used to do things. Well, I'm skeptical about the control of wind, but I've seen some people in China leaping up to three storeys in one jump and snuffing out candles with nothing more than a palm action.

And no, ki/chi won't be featured into a ball-ish energy attack or be displayed as such. If I recall correctly, all references to ki/chi here are such that it is invisible.
Owaranai Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 01:00   Link #1450
TigerII
Pilot in Training

The running up wall, is extreme muscle mass with relations to complete control. I have seen it in France as well. They could jump from buildings to others, jump up buildings, sort of like the things we have seen Mui do(Though not THAt extreme). The snuffing out the flames is just pushing the wind with your mass.

maybe the physics tricks are considered Ki, but I don't belive in being able to sense each others strength like Odin could nor the using the wind to block. That is just an anime thing.
Old 2007-08-01, 01:20   Link #1451
Baka Ronin

maybe its wind created by his fast movements and inner strength, maybe its not wind at all but the appearance of it or it may jut even be a psychological trick. my point is Ki/Chi is real, don't doubt it.
Old 2007-08-01, 02:55   Link #1452
zanar

Send a message via MSN to zanar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gencbiba View Post
Next thing you know Ken and Ryu make a guest appearance and teach Kenichi how to release his hadouken.
LOL. I just realised. Ken and Ryu= Kenichi and Ryuto???

Oh and btw, does anyone have the musical piece they started playing at the end of 19th min/early 20 mins? It's like a sadder version of the OP. In epi 41. Thanks in advance!
zanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 03:28   Link #1453
aONErox
Trainee

AHAHAHAHA u people crack me up with all ur talk about if ki/chi is real or not and all your maybe its wind and maybe its muscle mass stuff but it all comes down to one thing animes usualy never stays in the grounds of the laws of physics or realism of the real world

thats what makes an anime interesting maybe not good or bad but interesting
aONErox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 03:29   Link #1454
KnekO

Or even better does anybody have the soundtrack of Kenichi?I mean the background instrumental music simply rocks^_^...and I couldn't find it anywhere
KnekO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 03:35   Link #1455
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by aONErox View Post
AHAHAHAHA u people crack me up with all ur talk about if ki/chi is real or not and all your maybe its wind and maybe its muscle mass stuff but it all comes down to one thing animes usualy never stays in the grounds of the laws of physics or realism of the real world

thats what makes an anime interesting maybe not good or bad but interesting
What? We were having a serious discussion over here. Get back here and I'll 'Muay Thai' you to oblivion.

It's true that most of it boils down to the fact that anime isn't always going to stick to realistic stuff. It wouldn't be called 'anime' if that were so, wouldn't it?

Well, at least the fighting moves seem real. I have to commend Matsuena Syun on that.
Owaranai Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 03:39   Link #1456
aONErox
Trainee

lol the fighting does seem the most realistic part of the anime the only far-fetched part is kenichi's training lmao
Old 2007-08-01, 03:44   Link #1457
megadomonic
Magical Conspiracy

Send a message via MSN to megadomonic
Ki is real, a lot of people think it's fake cause it's never been seen done, but mainly it's always the older aged Chinese men that are able to do it cause they do more training and meditation than anyone else...
megadomonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 03:51   Link #1458
aONErox
Trainee

ki might be real it could not be but ill let people believe what they want its not something we really have to worry about is it? unlike GLOBAL WARMING!!!!!
Old 2007-08-01, 04:47   Link #1459
Nuzzles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuzzles View Post

I'm also guessing that once his masters find out about Odin's style, Kenichi will finally start receiving training from the Elder.
Seems I was sort of right! Who knows though, the Elder may have found out, but we won't see till next episode!

God dammit.
Nuzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 06:29   Link #1460
Jerseykid

Ki, reiatsu, and shields!
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action