AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-04, 16:53   Link #201
komichi

Will DCII stick closely to its original source? I remember playing bits and bits from the game and really liked it over DC Plus Comm'.
komichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-04, 17:12   Link #202
◕‿‿◕

Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
That depends, if the anime don't create a storyline for each character like the game does, then it's not necessary for the anime to end with 24+ish episodes. Personally I don't like things rushed, but I think they can still fit a good storyline into 12-13 episodes.
This summed up things better than I ever could. I'd rather have smaller side-story development than pointless/half assed done side stories. But of course, how well or how badly something is pulled off is entirely subjective - I think it's better for eroge adaptations to stick to one route and keep the others as side characters than have the main character go through every pseudo-ending...

13 episodes is proably a good indicator that they'll not waste time in such things, because they don't have it, which is why I was happy.
Old 2007-10-04, 17:35   Link #203
DanielSong39

Yuck. The first episode was a huge disappointment... give me ZEXCS and Hikaru Nanase back, please! So how did such a promising story go so wrong? My initial impressions:

- Substandard music. Absolutely pales compared to its predecessor, D.C. ~ Capo. This score just didn't do it for me. Empty and soulless.

- Terrible direction. Koko has no backstory, nor is her closeness with Yoshiyuki emphasized in any meaningful way. The theme of the sakura tree is hardly touched upon.

- Uninspiring art. Graphics are OK, but nothing special. Little to speak of when it comes to use of imagery. And I was getting serious Gift ~ Eternal Rainbow vibes throughout the episode (Sakura looks more like Chisa than the Sakura we knew from the first season; Nanaka is wearing Kirino's ribbon).

- Dull characters. Love them or hate them, Nemu and Sakura absolutely made the show in the first season. Sure, they have their share of flaws but their burning love for their oni-chan is undeniable. Just not seeing the same kind of sparks from Koko; Otome and Yume just didn't get enough screen time.

- Lack of chemistry. The first season accomplishes within 5 minutes what this episode fails to do in 25 minutes: establish a clear and strong connection between the leads. The side characters never really mesh, either.

- The infamous confession scene. Maybe they should've just pasted in the opening scene from Canvas 2?

All in all, I'd have to say that the first episode of Lovedol ~ Lovely Idol was better than this. It may get better, but so far it's being lapped by Myself, Yourself. The first episode literally felt like a sucker punch; I certainly didn't see it coming. A solid 3 out of 10.

Last edited by DanielSong39; 2007-10-04 at 18:03.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-04, 17:47   Link #204
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post

- Terrible direction. Koko has no backstory, nor is her closeness with Yoshiyuki emphasized in any meaningful way. The theme of sakura tree is hardly touched upon.
I can't agree with you on this

True that Koko has no backstory, but the thing you have to realise is:

Spoiler for spoiler:

You should never judge a book by it's cover and as experienced at watching as you are i'm sure, you should of realised where the show was heading with the Koko incident.
Old 2007-10-04, 17:55   Link #205
relentlessflame

*Administrator

DanielSong39, I actually think most of your criticism (short the music -- I liked it, personally, though I'm a huge Hikaru Nanase fan ) makes sense given what the first episode did. It was an episode that really didn't focus on the leads, jumped into the middle of a story, and was sort of going for a "sucker punch" effect (totally unexpected and strange starting point). What remains to be seen is where they go from here. I think they have potential to bring the story back into balance from this obvious left-field starting point, but who knows... they may not. All in all, I find myself not disagreeing with most of your comments, but rather thinking "I think they did that on purpose". We'll see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by komichi View Post
Will DCII stick closely to its original source? I remember playing bits and bits from the game and really liked it over DC Plus Comm'.
The first episode isn't sticking to the source, but they still have the potential to bring it back into alignment, given the way they did it.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-04, 18:03   Link #206
DanielSong39

I do plan to watch a few more episodes before giving up on the show entirely; after all, the first season had its share of weak episodes in the first half before finishing in magnificent fashion. And Gift had a mediocre first episode before improving considerably in episodes 2 and 3. Not every show is a Canvas 2 and knocks the ball out of the park in the first couple of episodes.

Nevertheless, the makers ought to know their target audience - and remember that the sakura tree and the siscon antics were what made the show in season 1. So far they are 0 for 2.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-04, 18:09   Link #207
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Nevertheless, the makers ought to know their target audience - and remember that the sakura tree and the siscon antics were what made the show in season 1. So far they are 0 for 2.
Well, I can tell you this much for free: Even in the game, they're very light on the sakura tree in the beginning of the story. Some of the story paths barely touch on it. However. And that's all I'll say.
Old 2007-10-04, 20:46   Link #208
guiltygearxt
C.C. belongs to me

watched it

and its nothing really amazing....

everything looks so bland and could've done alot better...
guiltygearxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-04, 21:43   Link #209
aONErox
Trainee

hm... this new DC resembled the other DC's alot! and was a downer but it also had its own twist to it so it made it good and i think the animation was pretty good i think this will do pretty well
aONErox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 00:32   Link #210
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuravs View Post
There's a conspicuous gap between the animation & the CG art from the game, character design in the game looks a thousand times better & more beautiful than in the anime. They should have drawn the eyes of female characters bigger & more detailed in the anime. (I was so so disappointed when first saw Asakura Otome)
Thats is true for any game-to-anime adoption, provided the game had decent graphics. (And all of the recent visual novels do). It is simply not possible (unless one is swimming in money ... literally) to retain the CG quality of the game. Not to mention it would look weird

That said i think the animation was decent enough. Nothing to write home about, but nothing to complain about either.
Old 2007-10-05, 00:43   Link #211
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Just watched epi 1 and wow...

Spoiler for my thoughts on epi 1:
Old 2007-10-05, 00:49   Link #212
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Thats is true for any game-to-anime adoption, provided the game had decent graphics. (And all of the recent visual novels do). It is simply not possible (unless one is swimming in money ... literally) to retain the CG quality of the game. Not to mention it would look weird

That said i think the animation was decent enough. Nothing to write home about, but nothing to complain about either.
Yeah, I was thinking something similar. When the animation needed to be pretty (i.e. the closing scene), they toned it up a notch. A lot of the scenes in this not-really-introduction episode were sort of "serviceable" because the content was sort of like that. Typically shows go all-out for the first and last episodes, but this felt more like it was pulled straight from the middle, in more ways than one. If I were to guess, I'd say they're budget-saving for later on when they need more pretty scenes.

I thought the character designs, in motion, preserved a lot of the nuances of the character designs: Anzu and Akane's trademark looks, Otome's "Yoshiyuki face", Koko's shy expressions, etc. They're a different style than the CGs (and as you said, they need to be in order to be animated), but the artist obviously studied the originals very carefully to get some of the more subtle details right. So in that sense, I thought it worked.
Old 2007-10-05, 01:26   Link #213
plmko

DanielSong39: " (Sakura looks more like Chisa than the Sakura we knew from the first season; Nanaka is wearing Kirino's ribbon)."

The reason you felt the character designs were similar is because characters from D.C. and Gift were drawn by Naru Nanao who happened to be designing for both titles around the same time. Didnt you find it a bit too coincidental how in gift and D.C. we have a non-blood related sister, magic, memory loss and very similar male protagonists.

DanielSong39: "- Terrible direction. Koko has no backstory, nor is her closeness with Yoshiyuki emphasized in any meaningful way. The theme of the sakura tree is hardly touched upon."

Tue that Koko has no backstory, for you only. Koko has quite a bit of backstory, the reason for the shallowness is because the animes only has 13eps. The producers had a poll for fans to choose what they wanted to see in the anime, the most popular being Koko and Nanakas story arc, thus they assumed their target audience would already understand the background already. Also the anime does plays out differently to the game, so don't be fooled by the abruptness of ep1 i'm sure by the end of the series things will change towards the unexpected.

Your score of 3/10 meant that the series from ep 1 has failed, to the point where you see flying pink elephants and super mario theme played randomly. I think if you didn't like it that much it'll at least deserve a 6/10 a standard C+ grade. I'm sure you werent harmed in the same way Lovely idol did to you.
plmko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 02:14   Link #214
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmko View Post
The reason you felt the character designs were similar is because characters from D.C. and Gift were drawn by Naru Nanao who happened to be designing for both titles around the same time. Didnt you find it a bit too coincidental how in gift and D.C. we have a non-blood related sister, magic, memory loss and very similar male protagonists.
Really? I was under the (perhaps false) impression that Gift's character designs were by the main CG artist, Mitha, who recently went on to do the character designs for Clear. Not to mention the character designs for D.C. II were largely done by Natsuki Tanihara, including Nanaka and the modified look for Sakura (IIRC). The reason for the plot similarities, at least as I recall, was that a number of Circus staff left to work with Moonstone on Gift. Now the dispute is more or less resolved, and the companies are working together on ventures like Sweets (with Broccoli). Maybe I've got some of my lines crossed on all these matters, but that's just what I've read over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmko View Post
Tue that Koko has no backstory, for you only. Koko has quite a bit of backstory, the reason for the shallowness is because the animes only has 13eps. The producers had a poll for fans to choose what they wanted to see in the anime, the most popular being Koko and Nanakas story arc, thus they assumed their target audience would already understand the background already. Also the anime does plays out differently to the game, so don't be fooled by the abruptness of ep1 i'm sure by the end of the series things will change towards the unexpected.
With the movie coming after the series, it would suit me just fine if...
Spoiler:
Old 2007-10-05, 05:45   Link #215
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Rewatching the first episode, and i'll stick with my original thoughts, thats it's highly enjoyable --- and i can already see myself enjoying this like the last two seasons. I don't know much about the source material, and i plan to keep it that way for a new, fresh enjoyment of this series.

Loving the score already (like i pointed out already). Especially the track played for the confession scene --- beautiful music, for a stunning scene. I had to watch that scene a few times, just to grasp how beautiful it looks.
Old 2007-10-05, 06:11   Link #216
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

Well it's the first time I have watched Da Capo and it's a rather enjoyable serie. You got the nice guy oblivious to all the cute girls around him and the cute childhood friend.

Although I find it strange Yoshiyuki's already going out with Koko after the first episode. What will the serie be about then I wonder? Watching a budding relationship? Or maybe he just doesn't love her but accepted her confession because she was about to cry?

What's creeping me out though is that it's exactly how School Days started.
Darklightz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 06:13   Link #217
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklightz View Post
What's creeping me out though is that it's exactly how School Days started.
Don't say it..
Old 2007-10-05, 07:45   Link #218
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

This is my "WHY DO I TORTURE MYSELF WITH THIS CRAP" anime for the season. Yes, clearly I wasn't a fan of Da Capo, and that's an understatement-and-a-half. The first season bored me, and the second season shit me to tears. So why am I watching this, after putting up with 52 episodes and many painful memories? I think I have brain cancer, or something. That, and I love to complain.... (yes, surprise admission of the century, right up there with Marion Jones).

But, after watching the episode, I didn't mind that. Minimal expectations... ahem, sorry... rock bottom expectations probably helped, but, as generic and inoffensive as that was, it didn't annoy the hell out of me like the first Da Capo did. The difference: Da Capo had what were essentially some of the worst characters in the genre, outside of Shuffle! (which has some of the worst characters in anime, full stop), while this has no characters (yet, anyway, but I don't expect this to change), just generic archetypes. And, I don't get angry watching generic archetypes, just bored. But, overall, there wasn't too much to complain about in any of that... just, on the flip-side, nothing awe-inspiring either. But I'm not expecting Seirei no Moribito II out of this, and anyone who is should have their legs chopped off or something hideous like that. If this series manages to go however many episodes its planned for (a million, I'd guess, or something like that) without pissing me off like the first two series (the ones without the "II" after that, implying this is the second season, when it's NOT), I'll consider it a mild success. And, hell, if it manages to not incessantly bore me to sleep, I'll consider it anime of the millennium. And thus ends my night of facetious hyperbole.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 08:13   Link #219
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
And, hell, if it manages to not incessantly bore me to sleep, I'll consider it anime of the millennium. And thus ends my night of facetious hyperbole.
lol I can hardly say it's a good reason to consider it the anime of the millennium but it just goes to show how little faith you have in this anime....

I quite enjoyed the first season of Da Capo and was able to stand the second season cause of my Kotori fix... The first ep of the DCII looks interesting and with only 13 ep they have already set the plot in motion.
Old 2007-10-05, 08:31   Link #220
plmko

Yes "relentlessflame" you are right about the main CG artist for Gift, but CG artist and conceptual artist are different. Gift characters (Some arnt) are of Naru Nanao's work, Mitha as you said, worked on Naru's designed to adapt for the game etc.
I didn't mean Nanaka was of Naru Nanao, non of the D.C.II characters are, I just didnt clarify that D.C.II needed to have similarities to D.C.. Being that Gift and D.C. had look a likes and bishoujo game characters not exactly all being orginal, you do get "oh that ribbon looks like or that hair looks like" times
Movie? never heard anything about the movie probably concentrating too much on the old D.C. stuff to notice the new stuff please post some links and stuff. Quite interested because you mentioned.
plmko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, circus, drama, romance, school life, seinen