AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-11-17, 06:45   Link #61
Isariru
Arg, Inspire me

My ISP is "Comcastic" though, so many people hate them because they block torrent traffic, I haven't noticed any of my traffic being bothered. As long as they don't interfere with my internet activity I'm fine, but it's not like they don't have a monopoly where I live anyway.
Isariru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 11:00   Link #62
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Send a message via AIM to WolfCoder Send a message via MSN to WolfCoder Send a message via Yahoo to WolfCoder
Our ISP doesn't overcharge or anything, it's just a straight 3M-Bit/s.
WolfCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 01:51   Link #63
NightShade
Above and Beyond Fan

Send a message via MSN to NightShade
Well what can i say about my ISP xD heh
Well i guess its okay no restrictions or anything like some ISPs blocking P2P and torrent traffic tho... but its still expensive if i compare it with other ISPs in other countries...
for 512k im paying 30 bucks O_o isnt that expensive ? :P
NightShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-30, 17:56   Link #64
SailorMoon4ever

I recently got comcast service due to it buying out time warner ...and I think yesterday they limited my torrents to 30kbs dl and 5kbs upload...anyone else get this?
SailorMoon4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-30, 19:11   Link #65
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I left Comcast behind this week and joined the ranks of Verizon FiOS users. As Vexx suggested elsewhere, I'm subscribing to a business account. For $99/month I get a static IP, the right to run servers, and a 20/5 mbit line. That 5 mb of upstream capacity exceeds three "T1" circuits that each would typically cost about $200-300. I'm not typically a fan of the incumbent telcos (the old "Bell Operating Companies") most of which, including Verizon, have seemed like dinosaurs in the Internet age. Still this deal was too good to pass up, and I get to deal with the business side of Verizon rather than the residential folks.

This service costs about double the $50 or so a month I was paying Comcast, but without a static IP it would have cost just $79. With Comcast I could push T1 speeds down and 384 kbit up, but as a residential customer I didn't have a static IP (though it was pretty static in practice) nor could I legitimately run servers. So, for not a lot more money, I've increased my bandwidth over twelve times and removed all the limitations of my service.

The FiOS television guy comes next Friday....
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-30, 20:31   Link #66
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

Sometimes I curse being an Australian when I hear of internet plans like SeijiSensei's.

I have to pay $95AUD per month for a 1.5/256 connection with a 100gb limit.
Old 2007-12-03, 13:02   Link #67
EternalNite
Devil Of The Nite

Send a message via MSN to EternalNite
US$34.50 4 a dumb 3500kbps internet...We don even have 100MBps our technology sux here N if u heard of the ODEX incident in SG here u should noe how i feel abt my ISP. I cant torrent Anime now
EternalNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 05:37   Link #68
Vanamonde

I have Sprint Boardband and I use my cell phone as my modem. Also like having ADSL that is dial up.

Is okay, cost $50/month. I plan on getting a laptop so I can go out and be connected.

It varies but in my apartment I only get 200-500kps down and 10-50kps up. My apartment is in a weak spot - peeps say they get as good a 1 or 2 mps down.

I do curse the person who came up with the Asymetical Idea. If only it was all symetrical.

But you know, I torrent down about 30 gig/month and I really am having a hard time watching it all! A cable modem probably would be better, but Time Warner??? I dunno.

The things as, I have a lot of trouble with legal streaming video. It seems that the major want me to have a relible 1 mps connection (although that say 500kps is enough). I can't even get through the first commerical in prime time.

But who needs them?

The main thang is the seeding factor. For me to seed much takes FOREVER. I feel like a leech. Hey, I AM a leech. I am not proud of that.

I like my ISP, sort of. But I want better for cheaper, so that can contribute more to the community.

Which could get me sued or busted, right?
>sigh<
Vanamonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 14:45   Link #69
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I left Comcast behind this week and joined the ranks of Verizon FiOS users. As Vexx suggested elsewhere, I'm subscribing to a business account. For $99/month I get a static IP, the right to run servers, and a 20/5 mbit line. That 5 mb of upstream capacity exceeds three "T1" circuits that each would typically cost about $200-300. I'm not typically a fan of the incumbent telcos (the old "Bell Operating Companies") most of which, including Verizon, have seemed like dinosaurs in the Internet age. Still this deal was too good to pass up, and I get to deal with the business side of Verizon rather than the residential folks.

This service costs about double the $50 or so a month I was paying Comcast, but without a static IP it would have cost just $79. With Comcast I could push T1 speeds down and 384 kbit up, but as a residential customer I didn't have a static IP (though it was pretty static in practice) nor could I legitimately run servers. So, for not a lot more money, I've increased my bandwidth over twelve times and removed all the limitations of my service.

The FiOS television guy comes next Friday....
Deeeeeegusting. My younger son's girlfriend is getting Fios this week as well. <sighs as he glares at his Hughes Net Sat-isp dish outside>

Here's hoping Verizon plays ball nicely and doesn't get any stupid ideas from Craptastic's move.
Seriously, I suspect Craptastic has made a conscious decision to focus on the 'ma and pa kettle' users who are Passive Users (meaning they mostly download rather than upload) -- because their infrastructure really cannot deal with symmetric usage. Its just not in the cards for them unless they completely rebuild their network.
Old 2007-12-04, 16:50   Link #70
Jecht2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seditary View Post
Sometimes I curse being an Australian when I hear of internet plans like SeijiSensei's.

I have to pay $95AUD per month for a 1.5/256 connection with a 100gb limit.
Try living on this plan...

1.5/256 connection with a 12gb limit costing $80 AUD. Once that cap is broken, we get shaped to dial-up speed.

The only good thing about it is that we dont get charged for going over our limit so that means the computer stays on overnight downloading at 6-8kbps.

Last edited by Jecht2; 2007-12-04 at 16:54. Reason: wrote in the wrong cap
Jecht2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 20:34   Link #71
anti-random
We want chicken tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jecht2 View Post
Try living on this plan...

1.5/256 connection with a 12gb limit costing $80 AUD. Once that cap is broken, we get shaped to dial-up speed.

The only good thing about it is that we dont get charged for going over our limit so that means the computer stays on overnight downloading at 6-8kbps.
Sounds your on Optus like I am. I am on Optus and I mean I pay $39.95 for 2gb peak and 4gb off-peak but the speed is really dodgy. I mean can't they give you a flipping constant download and upload speed. Mine keeps varying from anything from 512kBps to 2.5MBps.

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 22:33   Link #72
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seditary View Post
I used to be envious of the bandwidth capacity folks in Japan and northern Europe take for granted. Services like FiOS are just arriving in the US, quite a few years after they were promised by the telcos. This country still ranks in the second-tier of nations when it comes to availability of high-speed Internet connections. The OECD placed the US at 25th, other studies place it around 12th. The usual winners are Finland and Japan.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 22:51   Link #73
evil_kenshin

I'm on optus's 12/24 cable plan (12GB on peak 24gb of peak) , and not really happy with it (i usually get capped on the 23rd of each month)

though its far superior to the new optus plans (such as they can charge up to $300 for extra usage before capping you)

so its kinda an iffy situation
evil_kenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 01:08   Link #74
Thingle
Banned

I love my ISP. Bayantel never screens what I download nor puts a cap to how much I can. They only went down once this year.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 02:41   Link #75
Jecht2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-random View Post
Sounds your on Optus like I am. I am on Optus and I mean I pay $39.95 for 2gb peak and 4gb off-peak but the speed is really dodgy. I mean can't they give you a flipping constant download and upload speed. Mine keeps varying from anything from 512kBps to 2.5MBps.

Im with Telstra Bigpond.
Jecht2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 07:30   Link #76
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I used to be envious of the bandwidth capacity folks in Japan and northern Europe take for granted. Services like FiOS are just arriving in the US, quite a few years after they were promised by the telcos. This country still ranks in the second-tier of nations when it comes to availability of high-speed Internet connections. The OECD placed the US at 25th, other studies place it around 12th. The usual winners are Finland and Japan.
I'd like to even get a promise for internet in the same league as the US, let alone places, as you say, like Japan and northern Europe.

Won't happen for a very long time, seeing how I live on a small island off the Australian mainland.
Old 2007-12-05, 11:46   Link #77
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
Yea, my internet service is like that...What you gotta do is read the fine print..They say one thing, but if something else is different on the contract it doesn't matter....They suck for that.....-_-.....I for one don't download that much, the patches here and there for GW, and WoW..and anime every Friday, but that's about it, and my mom never downloads cause she thinks she'll get a virus, and my brother is never on the computer, so that's not something we really worry about
siya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-06, 22:24   Link #78
DesoNoto

Used to hate my old ISP(Comcast) but now my new one(Verizon Fios) is awesome! No caps at all. Fiber Optics ftw!
DesoNoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-07, 13:11   Link #79
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesoNoto View Post
Used to hate my old ISP(Comcast) but now my new one(Verizon Fios) is awesome! No caps at all. Fiber Optics ftw!
I don't use comcast, I use a branch of Comcast..I live in a small town in Indiana called Anderson, so, we have an internet service called Insight. They used to be a lone branch till they sold them selves off to Comcast and became it's bitch
siya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-06, 06:12   Link #80
ESC

Internet Service

Currently, Im using rogers high speed and the service is starting to change. The new service charges the household once you use a limited amount of GB. For example, if I download more than 60gb per month, they start charging me $2.00. I find that hilarious because the record shows I always download more than the limited amount. Im getting this pop-up message that is really annoying that says I am already at the limited monthly usage.

Any opinions on this new type of service?
Personally, $2.00 per gb sounds expensive, not to mention how this feels unfair
ESC is offline   Reply With Quote