Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-10-10, 10:36   Link #181
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX View Post
With the faster pace and stingier information-doling, they're creating more of an emphasis on the mystery/suspense aspect.
The problem is that it didn't exactly work for the mystery/suspense aspect (well at least for me) as they were going so quickly that it didn't draw the proper mood for several instances. With the scattered ommited little detail, it becomes difficult to feel some oppression and creepy stuff from Taku's perspective, which is even more lessened due the drastic cut of the inner thoughts. And the biggest letdown for suspense is the complete change of use for "whose eyes are those?" catchy line.
Quote:
A more precise adaptation of the game would have required a higher episode count and much more polished visuals, since the game is so heavily atmospheric... there are long stretches where nothing of importance happens, but it remains interesting because of Taku's constant narration etc.
This is actually the reason I'm wondering why they are doing a 12 episodes adaption despite it WILL have a lot of pace and adaptation issue as result.
Quote:
It would be hard to pull off an anime with nigh-constant inner narration, though (actually, it would be kind of obnoxious), and so an adaptation like that would've needed to create the same atmosphere as the game, except through rich visuals rather than text.
I never said it should be a consistant inner narration, considering the anime media. But I would have liked more of some inner comments from Taku, the very same they HAD to use for Yua's scenes. As result, it didn't exactly pull out the hetare effect on him, hence I felt drastically not so draw by him, and he basically look more pathetic without enough empathy and "reasoning" behind that.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2008-10-10 at 10:49.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 11:02   Link #182
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The problem is that it didn't exactly work for the mystery/suspense aspect (well at least for me) as they were going so quickly that it didn't draw the proper mood for several instances...
But you know what the full story is. I dunno, I think I'd personally find this approach very intriguing as a first-time viewer.

As for what you mentioned about Taku, I guess all I can say is that I felt differently, haha. His inner tsukkomi is necessary in Yua's scene, but only to reassure the viewers that the writers know what they're doing, that they know how implausible this all is. It doesn't reveal anything in particular about his personality.

In contrast, I thought the best character development moment was at the end of his conversation with Misumi, when Taku shows his inability to so much as close off the topic gracefully, and Misumi relents with a pitying look. Taku doesn't provide any narration like, "I hate talking to people, why doesn't this guy leave me alone, school always sucks," but it was a beautifully squirm-inducing bit of social awkwardness. The brief silence there said a lot more about Taku, and his capacity for clinging to solitude even when there are people in front of him to interact with, than any soliloquy could have. Similarly, his body language in the scene with Yua was so laughably pathetic, it conveyed his sense of self-abandonment and impotency as effectively as the actual words in the game.

This is the kind of thing I look for in adaptations, I suppose--it's the translation (so to speak) from game to anime that makes the anime interesting to me. If this gives you any indication, I go into rapture over all the juggling around and cutting and changing that's happened for the ef anime series. I love how it can be that different, and yet ultimately offer little glimpses of the soul of the game as it goes along.

But I'm not trying to change your mind or anything, just explaining why I liked the start of the C;H anime on an individual level.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 13:33   Link #183
rg4619

Quote:
This is actually the reason I'm wondering why they are doing a 12 episodes adaption despite it WILL have a lot of pace and adaptation issue as result.
It's probably a 12 episode adaptation or none at all. If the backers don't want to finance a full 24-26 episode set (property not popular enough to risk that kind of money; they're gauging potential DVD sales, of course), this is what everyone works with.

As a fan, you might conclude that they shouldn't animate Chaos;Head, but that isn't how business works. While potentially cut down, a 12 episode set could still do well enough to make them money.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 14:21   Link #184
Asmodeus
♥ ♥ Kanon-kun lover ♥ ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.G. View Post
so the anime finally arrived eh~ been waiting for this~
just like everyone said, they're green triggers indeed~
Spoiler for op:
Oooo~ The Opening is so Great^^****:kisskiss

Here's the ending too
Spoiler for ending:
Asmodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 14:42   Link #185
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

I love the ED song. ^^

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 19:26   Link #186
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Keke, it's been a while since I've seen such a pathetic protagonist (since NHK?).
Ah, no wonder why I thought he was familiar...Satou mkII

ep1
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 02:20   Link #187
Zippicus

I'll probably follow this unless it spins out like some other game > anime adaptations *cough*persona*cough*.

1st episode was OK, but man it's seriously painful to watch Takumi. The biggest wtf for me was that he's living in a cargo container on top of some building or something... and it has internet access... and it's apparently a perfectly normal thing to do based on the lack of reactions by the two visitors he had.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 02:35   Link #188
kron

in case anyone doesn't know, some of the URLS
Spoiler for ep1:
in ep 1 are real. game players obviously know that already.
kron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 02:42   Link #189
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

i loved the first episode. especially when the girl visited main char's apartment... lol.
Astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 03:14   Link #190
DarkAbyss

I've only seen the promo trailer for Chaos;Head...and the artwork looks very different from it's anime adaption...well...from some images I've seen..it seems that way.

Do the people who've seen the first episode still recommend the show ?
DarkAbyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 03:22   Link #191
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAbyss View Post
If you can stand pathetic protagonists, then yes, I would recommend it.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 03:35   Link #192
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I must say, this show being Welcome to the NHK crossed with Higurashi crossed with a harem show like say, Yumeria, has me sold.

And man, that guy has PROBLEMS, having major delusions like that. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's just imagining that girl killing the guy when it really is him doing the deed. I mean, you just don't get a picture of what's going to happen before the crime is committed, right?

As for the protagonist, he isn't anywhere near likeable alright, but considering his condition seems to be tied in with the plot, I think I can forgive it this time. He's as detestable as the guy in Linebarrel, or heck even moreso since at least the Linebarrel guy thinks he's doing everything for the 'greater good', but for some reason I think it's alright because at least here there's a pretty damn good possiblility he's gonna die. That, or at least someone's death (little sister anyone?) is gonna make him change and face reality.

It's not nearly as 'well made' as Garei in terms of animation and whatnot, but this being much more suspenseful than that show has stolen the runner up position of best first impression of the cour.

All that said, no offense to the sub group, but let's just say that the speedsubs are exactly just that... speedsubs. Nearly unwatchable with many awkward sentences, plus the first half I was just at a loss since much of what was going on was text/forum chat on the protagoinst's computer. And with it not being translated I didn't know what the heck was going on.

So yeah, as much I loved the first episode, I strongly urge others to wait on better subs for better enjoyment. Then again, I don't know if there will be another group doing it, so...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)

Last edited by DragoonKain3; 2008-10-11 at 03:47.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 04:17   Link #193
rg4619

Quote:
The source material is pretty decent (and the scriptwriter did a good job of stuffing the important bits into a short running time), so the series should be interesting for new viewers. However, the way they've pieced scenes together feels particularly jarring and mechanical. In that regard, it's probably the worst I've seen in a while.

Animation is mediocre but still passable. This isn't among the best shows I've seen this season, but I think many people might still find it interesting.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 04:41   Link #194
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
All that said, no offense to the sub group, but let's just say that the speedsubs are exactly just that... speedsubs. Nearly unwatchable with many awkward sentences, plus the first half I was just at a loss since much of what was going on was text/forum chat on the protagoinst's computer. And with it not being translated I didn't know what the heck was going on.
In the game the protagonist spends a fair bit of time interacting with BBS, chat rooms, sites, so in-anime text can and will be important. Translators can find the original game script on TLWiki. Although I haven't verified how faithful the lines in the anime are to the game script, it's a great translation resource either way.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 05:04   Link #195
aONErox
Trainee

whoa the first episode was pretty much everywhere and very mysterious, it pulled me in right away, cannot wait until the following episodes
aONErox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 06:38   Link #196
tbl
Affably Evil

Wow, what a terribly unlikeable main character. I really like the concept of the show, but Takumi is enough to put me off it. Can anyone change my mind?
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

tbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 07:09   Link #197
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl View Post
Wow, what a terribly unlikeable main character. I really like the concept of the show, but Takumi is enough to put me off it. Can anyone change my mind?
the guys is really messed up in the head, but he seems to be able to attract girls. His sister has a brother complex on him too, you can tell by her reaction when the friends offered to get him a girlfriend.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 07:13   Link #198
Bathory Area
Jigoku Shoujo

I enjoyed this show.I have not played or read light novel so everything is

new to me about this series.
Bathory Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 07:18   Link #199
Eviltape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
In the game the protagonist spends a fair bit of time interacting with BBS, chat rooms, sites, so in-anime text can and will be important. Translators can find the original game script on TLWiki. Although I haven't verified how faithful the lines in the anime are to the game script, it's a great translation resource either way.
I knew exactly what was happening onscreen even though I was watching the RAW. Those lines are the same as the text in ch01_001.

The only thing that pissed me off about the anime is:
Spoiler:
Eviltape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 07:44   Link #200
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I guess I liked it well enough to continue with it indefinitely.

Was that just weird or what? Or am I understating it?
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5pb., mad house, nitroplus, visual novel